PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-21-2011, 02:49 AM #1
atm743

has been a member for 10 years
atm743 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Macbook air or transformer prime? which to buy

ok hears the deal. I have been planning to buy a macbook air for chirstmas gift for myself. i wanted a computer that is small and light but would be fast to surf the web, watch youtube and crap while in bed / on the go. ive been eyeing the macbook air cause i dont really like what i hear about the window based ultra books. the asus zenbook looks nice but has major track pad issues. (and i had a macbook pro before i love the trackpad)

well after pondering to either spend 1100 (for 999 version with 4gb of ram) or try to find a deal on the 1299 13" version. i remember that the asus transformer prime is coming out. ive been watching a few videos on it and it looks pretty nice. its very fast for a tablet and has very good battery life. anandtech shows it playing HD playback non stop for over 11 hours. thats pretty awesome. i thought i would save 450 bucks and just buy that with the keyboard dock and i could use that for what the same thing.

i can't figure out though if saving the $ to go for the prime would kick me in the *** down the road cause its not a computer. I have my galaxy nexus so having the prime (with ICS once its out) would turn into having my phone but bigger (like owning an iphone and a ipad) i would make little sense

I've own'd the first ipad and it was nice at the time but wish it did what a laptop could do. (keyboard, trackpad, not touch screen. dont have to worry about flash or mobile sites. and if there's an "app" for what i want to do.

its hard to explain how i feel about a tablet vs a laptop with what i want to do. part of me is saying, the prime will do everything i want to do and a better battery life than a macbook and allot cheaper but the other part of me is saying, its not a laptop. i feel like theres a small gap between them. i thought if i get the dock for the prime it would bring the tablet closer to a laptop without being a laptop? ill save money but at the same time thats 650 (for the 16gig and dock)

what would you guys do?
Old 12-21-2011, 05:41 AM #2
$h@key J0nEZ
Southern By The

I'd get the new iPad and with the money saved from not buying the Macbook Air, you can get a Mac Mini for when you need a regular computer. 2 computers for only $100 more.

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so.” - Ronald Reagan

"A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one." - Alexander Hamilton
$h@key J0nEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:01 AM #3
Angry_Birds
Money over *****es

For me, either:

iPad + BT keyboard

or

MBA 13"
Old 12-21-2011, 09:59 PM #4
1stGenRex
Easily Amused

1stGenRex is a Paintball photographer
1stGenRex supports Cereal Killerz 2
1stGenRex donated to help Peyton Trent
1stGenRex helped look for balloons
1stGenRex is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
except the iPad does even less than an Asus transformer, and the BT Keyboard does not also double as a battery, like it does on the transformer. Also, remind me how many microSD and SD Slots are on the iPad? How many standard USB ports that you can plug an external hard drive into? Yeah I thought so.

That being said what EXACTLY would you do on a laptop that you can't do on the tablet? That's the determining factor to answer your question.
1stGenRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:14 PM #5
Angry_Birds
Money over *****es

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGenRex View Post
except the iPad does even less than an Asus transformer, and the BT Keyboard does not also double as a battery, like it does on the transformer. Also, remind me how many microSD and SD Slots are on the iPad? How many standard USB ports that you can plug an external hard drive into? Yeah I thought so.
There's really no sense in arguing things like this with people like you, Android is a great platform but it makes for a ****ty tablet OS. There is more to a tablet than specs, and in user experience I don't think anyone can argue that the iPad is literally a few years ahead of any other tablet on the market. It is an incredibly natural-feeling and intuitive product, which is just one of the reasons it's shipped almost 40 million units.

Part of the advantage of a tablet is portability, if you're going to be carrying MicroSD cards, portable hard drives, and a battery/dock you might as well be carrying a laptop.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:34 PM #6
1stGenRex
Easily Amused

the micro SD card goes into the tablet, so having one or not is really not much more you're carrying around. Have you used a Transformer? I have, and I'll tell you, it's a lot closer to a laptop than an iPad. Having options is the thing you Apple fanboys aren't used to, and it seems to me like you're scared of it. Having the option to plug in a thumb drive, or an external hard drive is VERY nice, and adds a lot of functionality to a device. Also, you could charge your phone from the keyboard dock, if you wanted to.

iOS is not as intuitive or user friendly as you might think. Here recently, I was given an iPod touch, and having to jailbreak it to have some functionality that comes standard in the Android OS is pretty lame, IMO. Useless icons you can't get rid of, but only put in a folder is not "user friendly".
Old 12-22-2011, 01:00 AM #7
atm743

im not going ipad. i like IOS but only if its jailbroken and putting 500 bucks into an tablet that runs ios is not worth it imo. i just went to the galaxy nexus from an iphone 4. i LOVE ICS and this phone. the iphone was nice and all but i relied on the jailbreak to do what i want to do with it. plus i got board with it. even with themes and some add ons and tweaks it felt the same. it felt like it was made for people that dont understand electronics. its hard to explain. it just feels like it has a "leak frog" interface. its dumbed down looking

1stGenRex

what you said about what cant i do on the tablet that i cant do on a laptop is where im stuck at. the tablet will let me do what i want to do BUT its the bare minimum. main reasons im looking into these two products is for web surfing, email, youtube, movies. BUT i may start using it for computing, like writing papers on, torrents, encoding movies or editing photos with. if i go the tablet way, ill be stuck with just web surfing and watching movies. if i go the laptop way i have it both.

The other thing is i really want a mouse and keyboard. yes i can get the dock for the transformer prime but idk if it will be close to the feel of a computer (laptop) i really dont want to be touching a 10" screen to do what what i want. i want to be able to type fast and click stuff fast. if i go the tablet route, ill most likely buy the dock and that comes to 650 and that's allot for a tablet. i found the 999 core I5 verison of the macbook air on craigslist NIB (still shrink wrapped) for 750. some guy won it i guess and already has a macbook) i was thinking about getting that. (only thing is it only has 2 gigs of ram and not sure how well the macbook will hold up with 2 gigs instead of the 4)
Old 12-22-2011, 01:10 AM #8
1stGenRex
Easily Amused

The Asus Transformer comes with software to write papers, and view spreadsheets and such. As far as torrents, it MAY be possible, I haven't looked into it or photo editing.

You can also use a mouse on the Transformer if you chose to do so...at least you could on the original version, can't say for the new one. But reading your post, it seems more and more like you're answering your own question, which is good
Old 12-22-2011, 01:14 AM #9
ProtoxxPaintball
USAF

ProtoxxPaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
ProtoxxPaintball supports our troops
ProtoxxPaintball is an NCPA player
ProtoxxPaintball supports Empire
I can't comment on how easy the Air is to upgrade the ram on but it was a breeze on my MBP. Went from 4 to 8gb for about $55 after rebate.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:14 AM #10
atm743

Quote:
The Asus Transformer comes with software to write papers, and view spreadsheets and such. As far as torrents, it MAY be possible, I haven't looked into it or photo editing.

You can also use a mouse on the Transformer if you chose to do so...at least you could on the original version, can't say for the new one. But reading your post, it seems more and more like you're answering your own question, which is good
lol. i know. i should just go buy the prime but the other part of me is thinking well it will be the same (or close to my phone) getting the macbook, ill have my main gaming rig (windows) my phone (android) and laptop (OSX)

why do i have to be indecisive. but i guess im am truly answering my own question cause if i could get the prime with the dock for 500 i would have never made this thread LOL
Old 12-22-2011, 01:18 AM #11
1stGenRex
Easily Amused

I'm waiting for the 64gb version to be released in the states
Old 12-22-2011, 01:22 AM #12
atm743

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoxxPaintball View Post
I can't comment on how easy the Air is to upgrade the ram on but it was a breeze on my MBP. Went from 4 to 8gb for about $55 after rebate.
cant upgrade the ram on the air. its soldered on the motherboard which sucks. i would totally just get the 2 gig version and upgrade it but that's out of the cards only thing i can change out on the air is the SSD.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:40 AM #13
thezoolander
Derp.

thezoolander owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
thezoolander supports Team VICIOUS
Personally, I would try to get the Prime with the dock because the dock allows you to have a laptop as well as a tablet where as with the Air, you'd only have the laptop. Plus the Prime is beastly.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:44 AM #14
PaintedSaint
lsdpsilocybinmarijuanadmt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Birds View Post
There's really no sense in arguing things like this with people like you, Android is a great platform but it makes for a ****ty tablet OS. There is more to a tablet than specs, and in user experience I don't think anyone can argue that the iPad is literally a few years ahead of any other tablet on the market. It is an incredibly natural-feeling and intuitive product, which is just one of the reasons it's shipped almost 40 million units.

Part of the advantage of a tablet is portability, if you're going to be carrying MicroSD cards, portable hard drives, and a battery/dock you might as well be carrying a laptop.
Id rather be limited by hardware than software.
blog.
PaintedSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:23 AM #15
travisxcore
Shoop da Whoop.

travisxcore helped look for balloons
travisxcore is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Birds View Post
Cause spending 500 bucks on something that has subpar hardware makes it okay because the OS is "innovative". Thats as much as I'm gonna say on that subject though. Theres no point in arguing it with you, you're an iOS lemming.

I'd get the Prime personally. Although I don't see the point in tablets running mobile OSes (even though its a smudge different cause its a tablet ) when my phone does that.

For me, I want the Iconia W500.

Last edited by travisxcore : 12-22-2011 at 02:25 AM.
travisxcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:30 AM #16
1stGenRex
Easily Amused

The Transformer Prime will be updated to ICS, which is supposed to blur the line more between Phone OS and Tablet OS. Think of Gingerbread, vs Honeycomb. There were distinct differences that made one better for tablet use than the other. iOS is more of a mobile phone OS on a bigger screen than the Transformer, as the iPad doesn't have near the amount of versatility as the Transformer does. The difference between Phone and Transformer are much greater than the difference between iPhone and iPad.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:50 AM #17
atm743

what differences will ics on a tab vs my nexus have ? i have never used an honecomb tablet so not sure what the differences were with ginger and honey
Old 12-22-2011, 03:57 AM #18
1stGenRex
Easily Amused

Well, the Transformer will have some slight tweaks to ICS, just like it did with HC, to make it function the way it does, but without using it, I can't really tell you. I do know that HC was quite different from using my Nexus on GB, but it was still familiar enough to where you can get around it if you've used a different Android device. I got it for my wife, who's not the most tech savvy person, but figured it out really fast, and loves the thing.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:24 PM #19
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:

Just to make it clear, you can download torrents with an Android device. I use aDownloader (though I've only used it once). Was downloading at about 1.5MB/s with my Thunderbolt.

I'd go with the Transformer Prime, without a doubt.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien

Last edited by Treghc : 12-22-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:34 PM #20
AuxiliaryPie
iLurk

if all you want it for is watching movies and farting around on the internet, why not just get a nice ~$400 netbook? the new AMD dual cores and 2-4gb RAM handle HD video quite nicely from what ive seen. pocket the extra cash for whatever else you want? unless you have lots of money and are a honey badger, i see no reason to spend 2-3x as much on an apple product when you are only going to do basic computing on it. IMHO
Old 12-22-2011, 01:26 PM #21
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxiliaryPie View Post
if all you want it for is watching movies and farting around on the internet, why not just get a nice ~$400 netbook? the new AMD dual cores and 2-4gb RAM handle HD video quite nicely from what ive seen. pocket the extra cash for whatever else you want? unless you have lots of money and are a honey badger, i see no reason to spend 2-3x as much on an apple product when you are only going to do basic computing on it. IMHO
Hence the idea of the Transformer tablet...

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote