Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-14-2011, 10:16 PM #1
xninjamica

xninjamica owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
xninjamica supports DLX Technology
tac 8.1 questions(2)

Thinking of trying out the tac 8.1 one but had a 2 questions

1. On ANS it says it has first strike installed does that mean id have to buy the additional package and different magazines if i wanted to shoot regular paintballs?

2. Using the 12 gram Co2 cartridges aproximetly how many balls would i be able to get from both first strike and balls? ( like when i shoot the 8 balls from the magazine would i need to switch out the cartridge as well?)

Thanks upfront
Old 12-15-2011, 10:34 AM #2
PntBllnSquirrel

1. no you wouldn't need to change out anything if you wanted to shoot regular paintballs. it means that if you want you can shoot the first strikes or regular paintballs. nothing different is needed. it does come with a different spring but my mates just use the same spring and works fine with both.

2. you should be able to get at least 24 usable shots depending on how you shoot the marker. if you are a slow shooter (like myself) then you can get a few more than that without having to change, but I change out every 3rd mag regardless just so I get 100% of my FPS set.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:41 AM #3
PntBllnSquirrel

I forgot to add that more than likely you will be using regular paintballs more than first strikes. I personally have never used a first strike but at $40 for 100 they are definitely expensive and not really for me. Also, if you purchase a T8 (like mine for sale) and you want to use first strikes later - you can always purchase the kit to upgrade it.

I always have good luck with shooting my marker and moving in for a clear and closer shot anyways. Playing with the pistol makes you move and want to get closer vs having battle with multiple hoppers full of paint.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:59 AM #4
xninjamica

Quote:
Originally Posted by PntBllnSquirrel View Post
1. no you wouldn't need to change out anything if you wanted to shoot regular paintballs. it means that if you want you can shoot the first strikes or regular paintballs. nothing different is needed. it does come with a different spring but my mates just use the same spring and works fine with both.

2. you should be able to get at least 24 usable shots depending on how you shoot the marker. if you are a slow shooter (like myself) then you can get a few more than that without having to change, but I change out every 3rd mag regardless just so I get 100% of my FPS set.
Awesome thanks for help i didnt know if id need to change out internals or anything but since the answer is no thanks a bunch!

wow thats pretty good of a small bottle was honestly hoping for 2 mags of a cartidge but 3 is awesome!

Thanks alot!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:45 PM #5
PntBllnSquirrel

Your very welcome - Any chance your looking for a T8 instead of an 8.1 =)
Old 12-17-2011, 12:45 PM #6
voodooaddict
Limited Paint Play Zealot

voodooaddict is a Supporting Member
The number of shots from any 12 gram powered marker can very greatly from marker to marker. Slight differences in tolerances can have a noticeable impact on efficiency.

I've got 5 Tib markers and share 2 more with family (though I do the maintenance/mods/troubleshooting for all of them). Some get 2-2.5 mags per 12ie. Others can squeeze out 4 if you turn the velocity down to 270 instead of 280.

The quality of 12 gram that you use can also make a difference. Daisy and Crossman 12 grams are quite frankly crap for paintball efficiency. Maybe they are fine for airsoft/bb guns. But not worth it for paintball. Crossmans are often under or overfilled which leads to ... "**** i thought I had one more mag worth of air".

Lealand, MOSA, ICO are a few good brands of 12 grams. Lealands are currently my favorite, you can get a great per 12gram price on them in BIG bulk (i.e. 400 units) and they are very consistent.

----

On the first strike thing. The 8.1 or 9.1 is ready to go, you don't need to buy anything additional. Each x1 magazine comes with two springs. A Silver spring for paintballs and occasional First strike use. A Red spring is far stronger and for first strikes only.

As someone who has gone through many many 100 round cases of first strikes. If you plan to shoot only/primarily first strikes use the red spring. The silver spring has a slight chance of misfeeding the last 1-2 FS rounds. The Red spring is far stronger and will ensure clean feeding of first strikes. The good news is whatever you choose the springs are easy to swap out using a plastic door on the bottom of the mag. It's not a complicated tear down to switch.

----

One last note. The 8.1/9.1 series can be switched to a remote line if you find 12grams too frustrating/expensive. Personally, I prefer the freedom that 12 grams gives you over a remote line. And the ability to use two 12 gram pistols. To keep things simple though for others the shared/loaner Tiberius markers are setup with constant air. 8.1 on the remote and 9.1 with tank-in-stock.
+ too many ol' Shoebox Shockers for loaners.

Last edited by voodooaddict : 12-17-2011 at 12:49 PM.
voodooaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:38 PM #7
xninjamica

THanks for the help voodoo that definetly helped me out alot!
Old 12-17-2011, 01:40 PM #8
xninjamica

Do either of you guys knows were to fine magazine extensions and/or the adapter to the magazine for remote line?
Old 12-17-2011, 02:04 PM #9
voodooaddict

Magazine Extensions 8.1/9.1:

http://shop.xtremedreamzpaintball.co...gs-100-170.htm

They require an existing 8.1/9.1 to attach to... so $30 + $42 extension is not a cheap thing. Cheaper to buy two mags then Mag+extension. But there you go.

The remote kit for the 8.1 needs to be purchased directly from Tiberius. You don't want to use the older through mag style of remote the new one is soo much more convenient.

Last edited by voodooaddict : 12-17-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:13 PM #10
xninjamica

oh jeez yea kinda pricey. they wont order till 75 units have been preorderedill pass haha

what new one are you talking about the only one ive seen is a little attachemetn that you put in the magazine were the co2 cartridge would go.
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=tiber...1t:429,r:8,s:0
that i belive.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:14 PM #11
xninjamica

Also to clearify if i wanted to switch out between FS and paintballs i dont ned to change out any internals or anything right?
Old 12-17-2011, 03:25 PM #12
xninjamica

Also i thought i heard chronoing around like 270 gives the best results for accuracy is this true?
Old 12-17-2011, 10:49 PM #13
voodooaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xninjamica View Post
Also i thought i heard chronoing around like 270 gives the best results for accuracy is this true?
When target shooting and zeroing in sights, I had first strikes flying best in the 275-300 range. Past 300 didn't seem to improve anything and even had some start to curve/pull funny above 300.

....DISCLAIMER: this was for target shooting only and experimenting with first strike rounds. Never fire a paintball marker at someone at velocities greater then 300fps....

For regular paintballs

My recommendation, work within your field limit. Differences in accuracy are marginal and could be well within statistical variation.

Here's a link to some vids of the MP7/8.1 remote setup I put together for Chicago.
http://forums.tiberiusarms.com/showp...1&postcount=13

The out the back remote kit for the 8.1 (about $25-$30 at last check from Tiberius directly) is a much better solution than older 8.0 style remote through the mag. With the newer remote out the back you can freely swap mags while still remaining aired up. Any number of mags without loosing air, or having a loud air hiss giving away your position. With the remote through the mag you are either tied to reloading a single magazine in the middle of play, or having more then one remote through mag, requiring you to de-gas and re-gas the remote line to different mags with each magazine change.

If you don't plan to use first strikes (or your field doesn't allow them). You should give the TPX a serious consideration. I prefer the feel and natural point-aiming I personally get out of a Tiberius. But denying that the TPX has matured into a very fine and paintball pistol would be blind brand loyalty. The TPX like the 8.1 also works well on a remote.

(also the T8.0...)
If the idea of a remote seems too cumbersome/restrictive and you are only going to use 12 grams, and only going to use paint. Used T8/T9s are often a crazy good bargain.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:13 PM #14
xninjamica

Yet again voodoo, you dont seem to let me down me down.

The adapter in the video what are those called? was really looking into those because i kinda figured theyd be bulky but dont seem too much bigger than the reg magazine at all.

If i like and actually use the pistol i was really considering buying two and if i do the TPX is definitively gonna be number to. Just wanted to have at least one t8.1 so i could have the possibility of using FS if i ever decided to.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:44 AM #15
voodooaddict

The remote fittings in the vid are old Pro-connect remote line connectors. Single button press to disconnect and degas. There's a couple other places making/selling them now Tippmann, Gorilla Air, PSI-works. I wouldn't use a remote line without one. It's so much more compact then the usual slide check bleed valve+quick disconnect combo.

In the vid with the 8.1 pistol and without the OpsGear MP7 shroud on it... It looks much longer and complex on fitting then it needs to be if just running pistol. This is because I was still experimenting with how best to extend the fitting out the long back of the MP7 shroud. You can run the pro-connect straight out the back of the remote block with a single fitting.

Just the fittings - Guerilla Air branded:
http://www.rockstartactical.com/Guer...a-cobra-qd.htm

Fittings with remote coil Tippmann Branded:
http://www.rockstartactical.com/Tipp...pp-con-rmt.htm

If you want to angle it 90 or 45 degrees you'll need a few more fittings 1/8th NPT air fittings from your local hardware store.

Last edited by voodooaddict : 12-18-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:19 PM #16
youngunner-2
Cash Only

youngunner-2 supports Team VICIOUS
youngunner-2 supports Team VICIOUS
youngunner-2 is Legendary
I just got a brand new t8.1 in a trade. I'm not keeping it but I did test shoot it. I got 25 shots per cartridge each time. And it came with two spare springs for the first strike balls.