Community Focus

Old 12-09-2011, 07:56 AM #1
bmoney003
187 cRew it's Murda!!

bmoney003 is a Professional paintball player
bmoney003 plays in the PSP
bmoney003 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Question for thought...

Everyone keeps saying what they feel will make the sport of paintball grow..

The past few questions from 4x4 aka Josh D. in our Q and A have been about sponsiorship..

It got me to thinking about major corporation sponsorship and how everyone thinks these outside paintball companies will blow the sport up..

my question is WHY? why does everyone think this? what would they sponsor? individual teams? leagues? players?

what do they get out of it? logo on a jersey? advertising?

what does everyone have to say..

discuss........
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2011, 11:37 AM #2
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai is a Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
sumorai is playing at Living Legends VII
sumorai supports our troops
sumorai has perfected Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
It'd be nice to see some large outside sponsorship of teams / leagues. I assume there just isn't enough of an audience for them to bother. Sponsorship for companies like that is just marketing. Put the name/logo out there and get your brand in front of lots of eyeballs. There aren't enough eyeballs at paintball events to make it worth it for them.

I'd love to see Intel's internal analysis of their sponsorship of Dynasty back in '06.

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
sumorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:42 PM #3
pgFILMS*
iMakeVideos

pgFILMS* posts videos on PbNation
Yeah, honestly what would big brands accomplish within paintball. They would use us for more ads, marketing, and thats about it. Dye seems to be doing well and branching out in to snowboard products which is great. They are opening up more opportunities for themselves. However, large outside companies having nothing to do with paintball wouldn't really benefit paintballs growth.....IF you think about it though a lot of major motor sport teams are sponsored by energy drinks which I see as something that could be associated with paintball teams. But you also have to let paintball grow with what it has. There's no need for large outside companies to contribute because paintball as a whole has a lot of companies that support the sport already. Paintball needs to lets those companies grow like dye, PE, and even HK. HK started as a group of paintballers, now there making money off clothes and sponsoring musicians, MMA athletes, creating gear for party animals (haha) and allowing there brand to still represent their first love of paintball. A lot of these companies have great innovators and minds that could easily allow them to grow even more outside of paintball. So I don't see a need for 'outside' companies to help paintball grow. It has been growing.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:17 PM #4
VSOwnage
Pursuit of Professional

VSOwnage plays in the PSP
VSOwnage is an NCPA player
VSOwnage plays in the APPA D3 division
Is it even feasible for large corporations to 'invest' (and I say invest loosely) in sponsoring paintball? I just don't feel like a little logo on a jersey is money well spent for a company whos goal is just that..to make more money. I will be honest..logos on jerseys really have never influenced me purchasing something in the sport of paintball..especially non-paintball related.
VSOwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:57 PM #5
amontoya

i think the guys on shipyard have the best sponsorship in paintball. Hands down
amontoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:41 PM #6
pgFILMS*
iMakeVideos

good example^^ beer haha ......but products that would be relevant to paintballers during tournaments..... powerades, gatorades, energy bars, nutritional granola bars or something to that nature. or like I said with motorsport teams-energy drinks- I can see that as more practical. what happened to BAWLS ??? haha
Old 12-09-2011, 03:44 PM #7
bmoney003
187 cRew it's Murda!!

What about athletic companies. Like puma or adidas that could produce jerseys and footwear?

Paintball is a multi million dollar industry. Any piece for them would be beneficial
Old 12-09-2011, 04:47 PM #8
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai is a Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
sumorai is playing at Living Legends VII
sumorai supports our troops
sumorai has perfected Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Is it perhaps the stigma of players shooting each other with guns that keeps them away?

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
sumorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:21 PM #9
Shecki
Clockwork Clothing

Annual Supporting Member
Shecki is a Supporting Member
Shecki plays in the PSP
Shecki owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Shecki owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Shecki supports our troops
Shecki plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by amontoya View Post
i think the guys on shipyard have the best sponsorship in paintball. Hands down
No complaints here, that's for sure

Original Feedback

Clockwork Clothing

For all of your printed apparel needs ! ! !
Shecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:15 PM #10
pgFILMS*
iMakeVideos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoney003 View Post
What about athletic companies. Like puma or adidas that could produce jerseys and footwear?

Paintball is a multi million dollar industry. Any piece for them would be beneficial
ohh for sure definately I totally disregarded athletic companies ! footwear, jerseys, all that type of stuff....for sure I think that would bring great things to the sport
Old 12-09-2011, 11:59 PM #11
Skunkable
cRew

has been a member for 10 years
Skunkable plays in the PSP
Skunkable owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I think a company has to see some sort of profit in the long run of a "sponsorship". Some of the larger main stream companies I feel like could make a huge impact in the sport if they chose to. I feel like some of them might view paintball with the stigma of it's a violent misunderstood sport but if the proper marketing and research was put into development then a viable investment could be made of paintball.
Basically sponsorship = money, for both the team being sponsored in either cash or goods, and profit for the sponsor in marketing and profit from increased sales due to the team being sponsored. If a major company ie Puma, Nike, Adidas ect deemed paintball a viable sport then they have the means (disposable income) to pump into a sport, but it has to make financial sense for them in the long run.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:18 AM #12
pgFILMS*
iMakeVideos

anything is possible with the right marketing tactics and team to produce something, it's whether or not they want to..... and the want to be informed about the sport
Old 12-11-2011, 01:51 PM #13
shock2k3
get hostile

shock2k3 is a Supporting Member
shock2k3 plays in the APPA D4 division
It's easy, a sponsorship is *supposed to be* a business relationship. I.E. party A gets X from party B in exchange for Y. (lol sponsorship equation... but I dont think some companies do the math) So here's your homework, what is y?

'Y' is something you can sell or garner interest towards in a valuable enough amount that you can charge $ or other service for your team.

In a paintball team to paintball company scenario, the math is easy. 187 gets gear from eclipse in exchange for some sales and reputation.

With an outside paintball company scenario just fill in the blanks. Hostile Intent gets sponsorship $ from corporation B in exchange for ???

If you want Adidas to sponsor your team you are thinking backwards. You need to work for Adidas and get them to start a branch in paintball. Then they would consider spending money in the sport to get teams to use their stuff. Also if you and every joe schmoe team gets some sort of 'sponsorship', wich is really only undercutting stores and fields... Adidas would actually be loosing face value and stores wouldnt want to carry their stuff (I'm talking Olympia Sports and Sports Authority not Boston Pb and PunishersPb).

So heres the structure problem laid out easy for you.

1 Big companies need to have a hand in pb to spend $ on it
2 They cant just 'sponsor' %70 of the market and backdoor sell **** to teams like our indusry does, otherwise big name stores (say Foot Locker.. idgaf) wont get enough business from our already small crowd. Now we are not in stores anymore and there is no full retail market worth partaking in for Nike or whoever.
3 Say that Under Armor jumps on board, they sponsor Dynasty and start making really nice $150 retail jerseys. They dont undercut themselves, they ONLY sponsor Dynasty. You'd like to think there is a decent customer base to buy said Under Armor jersey's... but this is where we beat ourselves again, our industry would backdoor the **** still and the same %70 will take the deal from pb companies.. PUSHING AWAY THE 'BIG' INDUSTRY.

No matter what they do they cant get us to make it work. If they do it legit and 'mainstream' we will undercut them and our existing structure would survive. The probelem lies in teams expecting sponsorship, if you cant offer something that is marketable or of real cash value then.. WHY EXPECT A FREE RIDE!

I have a whole other rant on how we could (not ever at this pace) get on tv but holding it back at the risk of this post becoming a mini novel.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:46 PM #14
Kr3wpaintball

Kr3wpaintball posts videos on PbNation
Red bull. It gives you wings
Kr3wpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:09 AM #15
Fox4paintball
Home of upTon 187 cRew

Annual Supporting Member
Fox4paintball is a Professional paintball player
Fox4paintball is an Ultimate field/store owner
Fox4paintball plays in the PSP
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Fox4paintball plays in the APPA D4 division
So...What about NASCAR. Does TIDE really have anything directly to do with car racing? What they're getting out of it is millions of eyeballs on their logo, brand recognition. They don’t sponsor every car in the race – in fact, they sponsor only one (that I know of – I’m not actually a big car guy – just seems like a good reference point). Unfortunately we (Paintball) don’t have millions of eyes watching, so someone like TIDE would get 1000’s eyes looking at their logo. That would be worth significantly less then than what the NASCAR guy gets.

I imagine that the industry guys (Spark plugs, car manufactures, etc..) sponsor multiple cars but they still only have so much budget and it gets spread around a bit thinner. And for that they get less AD space – or less visible area to display (not the hood of the car).

What does a billboard get you? Millions of eyeballs – what does a TV ad get you – Millions of eyeballs. What does a logo on a paintball jersey get you – 100’s or maybe 1000’s of eyeballs.
Home of upTon 187 cRew
(508) 529-FOX4 (3694)
www.fox4paintball.com
Fox4paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:38 PM #16
matty84

matty84 is a Supporting Member
When you actually take those 1000s of eyeballs and work down the funnel... maybe 3-5% of those who see 187 wearing Eclipse gear will as a direct result go out and buy a eclipse jersey, gun etc...

This is some really really fuzzy math.

Say 187 Crew is seen by 5,000 unique players over the course of a year.

5% (probably generous) of that 5,000 ends up buying an Eclipse product as a direct result. That's 250 transactions.

250 transactions
X
$100 Average transaction size (pulled this out of my ***. it's probably generous.)

= $25,000 Gross
- Opportunity Cost

There's also probably a social effect to it... another 3-5% end up buying an Eclipse product as a result of their friend, who had originally bought because of 187 etc...

To Eclipse, that's worth while. To Nike? Absolutely not. Even if those numbers are dramatically off, it's still not interesting to a company that size.

My hunch is that advertising at the league level follows the same train of thought... just not enough eyeballs to make sense.

Last edited by matty84 : 12-12-2011 at 01:58 PM.
matty84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:11 AM #17
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

4x4 rider plays in the PSP
4x4 rider plays in the APPA D3 division
My thought on it is, it's not so much the money they would be dumping into the sport because you could dump in as much money as you want, if you don't have the fans the sport won't make it big. If this sport can get some major outside sponsors; such as bud light, coke, Gatorade, etc, than may be there will be more outside recognition. If these big name sponsors are willing to pay attention to us than may be the every day American than has nothing better to do on Sunday morning before football (example of course) will may be watch some paintball I have a lot more building on the whole idea, but it's way to much to type, I even have ideas on how to watch it on tv that makes it soooo much easier to follow. If you want to share ideas, catch me at fox4 sometime lol
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

NEAA-2011 foXball Champs!

Aftermath fan club member #80
UpTon 187 cRew fan club member #15
4x4 rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:12 PM #18
6o3.matty

not to mention all those great sponsor logos just get covered with paint and mud. lol
6o3.matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:35 PM #19
MagicBuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox4paintball View Post
So...What about NASCAR. Does TIDE really have anything directly to do with car racing? What they're getting out of it is millions of eyeballs on their logo, brand recognition. They don’t sponsor every car in the race – in fact, they sponsor only one (that I know of – I’m not actually a big car guy – just seems like a good reference point). Unfortunately we (Paintball) don’t have millions of eyes watching, so someone like TIDE would get 1000’s eyes looking at their logo. That would be worth significantly less then than what the NASCAR guy gets.

I imagine that the industry guys (Spark plugs, car manufactures, etc..) sponsor multiple cars but they still only have so much budget and it gets spread around a bit thinner. And for that they get less AD space – or less visible area to display (not the hood of the car).

What does a billboard get you? Millions of eyeballs – what does a TV ad get you – Millions of eyeballs. What does a logo on a paintball jersey get you – 100’s or maybe 1000’s of eyeballs.
Dave,

NASCAR is a good example. However, there are countless studies that prove that NASCAR has the most brand loyal fans in all of sports. Literally, if Ricky Bobby switches from Tide to Clorox his fans switch and there are mountains of analysis to prove it.

I think any paintball team would have a tough time claiming the same amount of product loyalty with their fan group. I've always thought of well-known teams and players as influencers/ambassadors. They influences people's buying decisions and act as ambassadors (or extensions) of their sponsors. Unfortunately their amount of influence and/or their effect as ambassadors is very difficult to quantify (dollar value) for sponsors.

My two cents based on a sports management degree where we talked about things like sponsorships and their values constantly.

Jesse
NEXL

PB Nation Feed Back
MagicBuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:13 AM #20
bmoney003
187 cRew it's Murda!!

My reason for thought on this was not really getting somthing from a major sponsor, but the companies possible creating a paintball division.

kind of how DYE now has a snowboard/ski division, and how NIKE also just recently started a snowboard div.

the idea came from seeing LIFT have a NIKE pb logo opn their jersey (although completly had nothing to do with NIKE, they created it on their own)

but why not? why wouldnt NIKE create a PB sector
Old 12-16-2011, 08:59 AM #21
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

4x4 rider plays in the PSP
4x4 rider plays in the APPA D3 division
Good point, there is plenty of money to be had if they did.
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

NEAA-2011 foXball Champs!

Aftermath fan club member #80
UpTon 187 cRew fan club member #15
4x4 rider is offline   Reply With Quote