Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-10-2014, 11:31 PM #1
aarospoon13

aarospoon13 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
aarospoon13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Kaos consistently shooting hot

Hey guys,

Took my Kaos out to the field today and found that I'm consistently shooting hot. I was actually refused entry on the last game because of it. I can't seem to get my fps down below 285 - it stays around 290 and spikes up to 315 sometimes. I've turned it counter clockwise as far as it would go, even attempted to twist the whole back adjuster out some more to further reduce the velocity and it just won't go down.
One of the refs said I may have to cut the spring? I'm hoping to not have to do anything of the sort really. It's all stock and had been used for no more than maybe 2 or 3 cases of paint. It's been taken down and cleaned and put back together twice now. Using HPA so the big spikes are very odd.
Also would like to add that it was about 90 degrees here when I was out there. Is it possible that I need to grease it more and that's what's sticking or moving inconsistently? Do I actually have to cut my spring?!
aarospoon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2014, 01:40 AM #2
bowcycle

Had it been spiking before or is this the first time?
bowcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:44 AM #3
aarospoon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowcycle View Post
Had it been spiking before or is this the first time?
Don't think it was spiking this bad before but it was always struggling to stay under the 280 for the field.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:59 AM #4
AZODIN

Annual Supporting Member
AZODIN works for a Paintball manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarospoon13 View Post
Hey guys,

Took my Kaos out to the field today and found that I'm consistently shooting hot. I was actually refused entry on the last game because of it. I can't seem to get my fps down below 285 - it stays around 290 and spikes up to 315 sometimes. I've turned it counter clockwise as far as it would go, even attempted to twist the whole back adjuster out some more to further reduce the velocity and it just won't go down.
One of the refs said I may have to cut the spring? I'm hoping to not have to do anything of the sort really. It's all stock and had been used for no more than maybe 2 or 3 cases of paint. It's been taken down and cleaned and put back together twice now. Using HPA so the big spikes are very odd.
Also would like to add that it was about 90 degrees here when I was out there. Is it possible that I need to grease it more and that's what's sticking or moving inconsistently? Do I actually have to cut my spring?!
It is more than likely that the paint match with the stock barrel is too good.
The stock barrel bore size is .689, if you can find anything around .692 or 93 that should help you to reduce the velocity or try different type of paint (Smaller) if you can.

Thank you,
Azodin Team
Old 05-11-2014, 07:23 AM #5
aarospoon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZODIN View Post
It is more than likely that the paint match with the stock barrel is too good. The stock barrel bore size is .689, if you can find anything around .692 or 93 that should help you to reduce the velocity or try different type of paint (Smaller) if you can. Thank you, Azodin Team
Thanks Azodin tech - should I consider at all this spring cutting business that was mentioned to me? Is that ever advisable?
Old 05-11-2014, 07:28 AM #6
AZODIN

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Thanks Azodin tech - should I consider at all this spring cutting business that was mentioned to me? Is that ever advisable?
Kaos Striker/ Hammer Spring is 85mm long and ZII or KDII Spring is 75mm long.

We dont recommend you to cut the spring unless there is no any other way to do it cause it may result in recocking issue. Try to cut 80mm long if you have to and that should do the job too.

You can also purchase the ZII or KDII spring from http://www.store.azodin.com/

Thank you,
Azodin Team

Last edited by AZODIN : 05-11-2014 at 07:32 AM.
AZODIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:13 PM #7
CA_Tectonics

Quote:
Quote:
Kaos Striker/ Hammer Spring is 85mm long and ZII or KDII Spring is 75mm long.

We dont recommend you to cut the spring unless there is no any other way to do it cause it may result in recocking issue. Try to cut 80mm long if you have to and that should do the job too.

You can also purchase the ZII or KDII spring from http://www.store.azodin.com/

Thank you,
Azodin Team

Another thing you could try is to store the marker in the cocked position. This will compress the spring for a length of time and have a similar effect as cutting the spring, just not as drastic and the potential fps change would likely not be as much (depending on how much spring is to be cut). To get more of a compression effect, turn in the backcap tension screw as much as possible before storing in the cocked position. Just another alternative to consider.
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
Black and Silver Dangerous Power F8
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Polished Aluminum and Red Dangerous Power F8
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
CA_Tectonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:32 PM #8
aarospoon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Tectonics View Post
Another thing you could try is to store the marker in the cocked position. This will compress the spring for a length of time and have a similar effect as cutting the spring, just not as drastic and the potential fps change would likely not be as much (depending on how much spring is to be cut). To get more of a compression effect, turn in the backcap tension screw as much as possible before storing in the cocked position. Just another alternative to consider.
Didn't think of this thank you. I really don't want to have to cut it at the moment since I don't have another marker to run if I mess it up at all while the new spring comes in. So if I increase tension to max and store it all coiled up the idea is that it doesn't release as forcefully the next time it's fired correct?
Old 05-11-2014, 08:53 PM #9
CA_Tectonics

Quote:
Didn't think of this thank you. I really don't want to have to cut it at the moment since I don't have another marker to run if I mess it up at all while the new spring comes in. So if I increase tension to max and store it all coiled up the idea is that it doesn't release as forcefully the next time it's fired correct?
Yup, that's the idea. It slightly changes the characteristics of the spring. Done over a long time and with the spring fully compressed, it can actually shorten the spring a little bit.
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Old 05-12-2014, 06:41 AM #10
AZODIN

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Tectonics View Post

Great advice! This way will loosen the spring tension therefore lower velocity.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:10 PM #11
CA_Tectonics

Quote:

Great advice! This way will loosen the spring tension therefore lower velocity.
Yup. Thanks . Sometimes that's all it takes to get that fps down.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:27 PM #12
aarospoon13

So I'll be testing this out tomorrow. The spring has been wound for a week straight at maximum tension and I've gone ahead and greased up what needs to be greased. will let you guys know what comes of it and if it helps. Would be sad if it doesn't because it's not a bad marker and I really enjoy it, just wish it weren't being so odd with this.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:57 AM #13
bowcycle

so, how did it go?
Old 05-19-2014, 01:09 PM #14
aarospoon13

Looks like I may have to cut the spring or get a shorter spring. While it fired off a few at around 270-280, there were still some 300 spikes back and forth. And not random as in every 50 rounds or something but within a group of 20 shots I could see 2 or 3 spikes at or over 300 and 1 or 2 around 290.
If I had a home chrono it would be much easier to check this stuff, but unfortunately I'm waiting weekly to test. I have to remember to recock it tonight though and leave it wound up for a while longer.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:00 PM #15
smalltownkaos
Azodin Fan

smalltownkaos has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
smalltownkaos has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
smalltownkaos has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Since you're using hpa, have you thought to check out your tank reg? Perhaps it might need some TLC... If you haven't checked that, id do that before cutting or ordering a new spring
DP: Green G4...Green F8

LOOKING FOR A BLUE AZODIN ZENITH...PM ME
smalltownkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:04 PM #16
iPaintSlinger
Front Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownkaos View Post
Since you're using hpa, have you thought to check out your tank reg? Perhaps it might need some TLC... If you haven't checked that, I'd do that before cutting or ordering a new spring
I agree with STK, have you tried your tank out on another marker or tried a different tank on your Kaos??? This should narrow down your list of possible problems and help find the exact cause.

Good luck, iPS
iPaintSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:19 PM #17
bowcycle

When I've cut springs, I usually do it 2 coils at a time and back the cut side with a washer toward the velocity adjustment end. That keeps stuff from getting scratched up or caught on the cut end and lets you make very small adjustments.

I'm guessing 2 coils will get you where you want to be if a second week of compression doesn't do the trick. The thing is, you don't want the velocity adjustment backed all the way off. The marker will actually be more consistent with some tension on the spring.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:45 PM #18
aarospoon13

I hadn't considered the tank or tank reg yet. I do believe I'll look into getting something else but I've got no experience working with regs. What exactly would I be looking for? Also, how would I "tune" or tweak said reg? It's a ultra basic 35/3000 hpa ninja tank and I hear great thing a about the reg. I'll be moving to an empire CF 68/4500 in a month or so.

I used the tank on an Etek 4 and I lost the push rod out of the oops Asa. Which I thought was my fault, but is it possible that a bad tank/reg may have blown it, and also be responsible for my crazy shot fps?
Old 05-19-2014, 07:50 PM #19
smalltownkaos
Azodin Fan

Side note: stick with ninja regs. They are the best, hands down.

with that said, maybe look into a rebuild kit for your reg, or just tear and make sure its lubed up. Should be 2 set screws on the bonnet, remove and twist bonnet off. MAKE SURE ALL PRESSURE IS OUT FIRST. or call the hospital first, your choice.

put out the spring and make sure all orings are clean and lubed good.

ninja regs are simple, but super reliable.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:06 PM #20
smalltownkaos
Azodin Fan

Any progress?

Old 05-21-2014, 09:11 PM #21
CA_Tectonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownkaos View Post
Any progress?
Quote:
.......If I had a home chrono it would be much easier to check this stuff, but unfortunately I'm waiting weekly to test.
Someone needs help in the reading department .

Last edited by CA_Tectonics : 05-22-2014 at 12:52 PM.