Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-06-2011, 06:58 PM #1
TierOneDesigns

DP G4 vs GoG eXTCy w/BH

300 is roughly my price range, I am stuck on buying new, don't suggest new guns please besides the envy I don't want a mini or a rail. I am leaning towards a G4 because I think the eXTCy is ugly and I have not heard great things about the ion. I am looking for opinions on how well the guns shoot/reliability also I am not worried about the G4's bolt stick as I will have time to break it in over the winter.
TierOneDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:10 PM #2
95saturn

Extacy
95saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:06 PM #3
i8somepie
Michael Pasztor

Annual Supporting Member
i8somepie is an NCPA player
i8somepie plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by TierOneDesigns
300 is roughly my price range, I am stuck on buying new, don't suggest new guns please besides the envy I don't want a mini or a rail. I am leaning towards a G4 because I think the eXTCy is ugly and I have not heard great things about the ion. I am looking for opinions on how well the guns shoot/reliability also I am not worried about the G4's bolt stick as I will have time to break it in over the winter.
The eXTCy is a good marker. It's basically an improved version of the Ion with the upgrades it should have had stock. The bolt out back design eliminated many of the issues that the first generation Ions had with disassembly just to relube the bolt. It is upgradeable with an L7 or Hollowpoint bolt and QEV which will improve performance. I can't recall BH settings for modes so I cannot input on that. The trigger in my opinion is funky, a little stiff, and not perfect for walking easily.

The G4 is a good marker as well. It's light, the trigger is nice and smooth. The bolt system is simple and very easy to maintain as well. The stock board has semi and PSP compatible but will not cap in 0.5 increments meaning you'll have to use 12 bps instead of 12.5. The TechT engine will completely change the marker if you decide to upgrade it. If you do purchase it, do not use that crud of a "lubricant" that is DP40 and make sure to clean off and relube your solenoid with a quality DOW33. The DP solenoids are user serviceable which is a big plus.

Efficiency is about par for both.
I want to say that the extcy is a wee bit smoother out of the box, but the G4 with TechT is smoother.
Both regulators will perform well and consistency shouldn't be a problem with either.
The feel is something you'll have to try out yourself.

Underground Sports - Underground Army
The Best DYE dealer in NE Ohio

YetiPB.com - The only place you'll ever need, ever
i8somepie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:20 PM #4
Bigfatts

I haven't shot the new Extcy but the G4 is a good shooting gun. Relatively smooth, not too loud, etc. Everything down to the solenoid is user servicable and pretty much bulletproof. When you put the Techt engine in it it shoots like an entirely different gun.

I don't know what bad you heard about the Ion but they were solid guns and still very popular today. I have bounced around from Planet Eclipse, Bob Long, etc and I always still seem to have an Ion on hand to loan out or use as a back up. With a decent bolt and QEV they shoot very well. Both would serve you well. It really comes down to personal preference. I don't really like the ergonomics of the G4, I think the frame is too wide and a little uncomfortable, however that is MY opinion. But like I said I haven't used the new Extcy so I can't say about that. Try and handle both and base your decision on what you like and dislike about both in person. I know you said you are stuck on buying new, but if you like the G4 you should look at the G3 Spec R. Pretty much the same gun but in a nicer package. Made to better quality, nicer milling, better barrel, etc. And can be had for less than a new G4.

I need to buy some stuff:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3716800
Marqs to fund a Vic or MacDev:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...2#post73530832
Bigfatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:52 PM #5
TierOneDesigns

Thanks for the replies!
TierOneDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote