Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-06-2011, 02:45 PM #1
tci_432

drone/droid

Is the drone a better marker than the droid? im looking for a gun and don't know enough about the 2 to make an educated decision. Looking to the Nation for help
tci_432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2011, 03:17 AM #2
rkenders
Northern Colorado

Yeah I am wanting this answer too!

What I have found out...
The Droid is currently going for around $950(new), $350-$450(used and upped) and the Drone is going for $550(new). The Droid is a 2008 design while the Drone is a 2011 design. They both look good, but the Drone looks a little sleeker like Macdev milled a little more metal off the tube. The chameleon LED is in a different place and the Drone doesn't have a slide on/off switch like the Droids do. The Droid power switch always bothered me because it's exposed to infiltration by water and paint fill. I'm hoping that Macdev integrated the trigger switch onto the board in the Drone. A common complaint is the amount of wires and connectors in the Droid. Maybe the battery is a snug fit and no longer rattles inside the grip frame like on the Droid requiring a small wad of paper or foam jammed next to the battery. Hopefully they kept the laser eyes which are stock on the Droid. The bolt engine is a lot different. The Drone doesn't have the bolt index screw behind the feed neck like on the Droid. The bolt engine has fewer parts and looks less likely to break and has fewer o-rings. The Drone has a trigger like the Violent Series delrin trigger which is a very common upgrade done on the Droid. Many people complained about the stock Droid trigger. I agree, the hump in the middle of the trigger was a problem. A lot of people sanded down the Droid trigger to make it a smooth curve. Both guns according to Macdev shoot 1400 rounds off a 68/4500. However looking at actual efficiency tests the Droid tends to get closer to 1000+. I don't know if Macdev is exaggerating on the Drone. We'll see. I haven't seen any real efficiency tests on the Drone. I think that Macdev has taken the input of it's customer base to heart with the Drone and Clone and fixed the stuff that everyone disliked. If you can find a Droid in good condition with the VS trigger, v2 bolt engine and a gold bolt I suspect you can pick it up for a lot less than a new Drone. Personally I don't think there will be very much difference performance wise between the two except the original price tag. The Droids didn't come in many colors and I have never seen a dust black one which is my preferred color. It's easy getting accessories in dust black while matching colored anno's can be a real pain and more costly. Unless I find the right Droid, I will likely pick up a Drone instead. I've never seen a Clone so I have no idea about it, but to me the price difference is pretty steep for an OLED and 300 more shots. Perhaps putting a Clone OLED board in the Drone will be close enough.

I'm a spoolie fan personally and want the Drone to be a really great gun. It would be spectacular if it actually got 1400 rounds on a 68/4500! So far what I have seen it is very smooth, with little to no recoil and very efficient for a spool valve. The DX bolt engine is very simple compared to the Droid and not much more complex that other spoolies. The more I look into the Drone DX, the more I think I will choose it over the Droid.

Stuff I want to know about the Drone:
1. Actual typical shots off a full 68/4500
2. Smoothness or recoil compared to the Droid.
3. Common gripes and problems with the Drone.

Last edited by rkenders : 12-10-2011 at 07:20 AM.
rkenders is offline   Reply With Quote