Community Focus

Old 12-13-2011, 12:41 PM #1
justavillain
I've got nothing

justavillain is a Supporting Member
justavillain is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
justavillain is a top reviewer
New Truck, looking for major problems

I'm buying a 2011 or 2012 2500/250 Diesel, 4x4 and the full 4 door not the cab and a half. Ford or Chevy.

I have read reviews. I'm leaning towards the Chevy's over the Fords. Don't like Dodge so thats out. But what major problems could I see from either of them?

Before you ask yes I have a need/use for a diesel/ 3/4 Ton truck. my in laws own an orchard. And I work it a lot. We have a farm truck but I use my own for a lot of the work too.

I do know about most of the new Diesel standards out there. So I am also looking for a very slightly used 2010 but those are few and far in between.

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic

Last edited by justavillain : 12-13-2011 at 12:46 PM.
justavillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2011, 12:45 PM #2
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
If you're buying it new you'll have a warranty so any problems you run into shouldn't be that big of an issue. Any reason for the Chevy preference? Honestly, if you're going to use it as a work truck, I would pick it by the dealership that's best. All of the trucks are comparable but if you're going to be beating on it and taking into the dealership regularly go for the guys who know their **** and won't dick you around.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:46 PM #3
Maxpow999

You don't like dodge diesel? Are you mad?
"Throughout the 20th century, the Republican Party benefited from a non-interventionist foreign policy. Think of how Eisenhower came in to stop the Korean War. Think of how Nixon was elected to stop the mess in Vietnam." - Ron Paul
Maxpow999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:51 PM #4
justavillain
I've got nothing

As for the preference. I've always owned GM. I like the looks a little better. But I just did some work on my wife's car a 2007 Ford Fusion and it seemed to take a lot longer to work on it as everything seems to be a little off. But that is just because I'm use to working on a GM.

I will say the Fords seem to be better built.

The truck will mostly be for towing a goose neck. and moving a few things.

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic
Old 12-13-2011, 01:03 PM #5
carcrazycorey
Meow

carcrazycorey helped look for balloons
carcrazycorey has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
carcrazycorey has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
carcrazycorey has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
carcrazycorey has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Get a Cummins matched with a 6-Speed. The new 6.7's in the Fords are meh, and Duramax's are well, Duramax's..
carcrazycorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:13 PM #6
Maxpow999

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazycorey View Post
Get a Cummins matched with a 6-Speed. The new 6.7's in the Fords are meh, and Duramax's are well, Duramax's..
Yep.
"Throughout the 20th century, the Republican Party benefited from a non-interventionist foreign policy. Think of how Eisenhower came in to stop the Korean War. Think of how Nixon was elected to stop the mess in Vietnam." - Ron Paul
Maxpow999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:17 PM #7
justavillain
I've got nothing

I've never had a Dodge last more than a year so I wrote them off on the farm. I don't want a manual either. I drove one all my adult life and would care to get rid of it.

I was looking more for the major mechanical problems that they are showing up with.

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic
Old 12-13-2011, 01:17 PM #8
F1VENOM

Yeah but the manual has almost 200lb-ft less torque.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 12-13-2011, 02:19 PM #9
paintball4le$$
Das

Chevy or Dodge
Old 12-13-2011, 02:54 PM #10
Kenny_McCormick

It really doesn't matter. Any of the three will last for several hundred thousand miles with minimal BS if maintained properly.
Narrator: [Talking slowly] And this button-down, Oxford-cloth psycho might just snap, and then stalk from office to office with an Armalite AR-10 carbine gas-powered semi-automatic weapon, pumping round after round into colleagues and co-workers. This might be someone you've known for years. Someone very, very close to you.

Last edited by Kenny_McCormick : 12-13-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Kenny_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:01 PM #11
huh101

huh101 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
huh101 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Why would a brand new truck have major problems?

huh101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:14 PM #12
DoomsdayPBF
Die Meister Macher

DoomsdayPBF helped look for balloons
DoomsdayPBF has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
The new Duramax has been having a lot of problems with the DEF equipment. I would stay far away from them. So far, Ford's 6.7L Powerstroke has been seemingly reliable and the low output Cummins 6.7L has been relatively reliable other than a few initial teething problems. I don't have any experience with the new high output 6.7L Cummins, nor have I heard much about them yet.

If I was buying a chassis cab, I would probably go with the Dodge, as they are excellent when it comes to upfitting and the ZF 6-spd manual is great. For a personal truck or if I had to get an automatic, I would go with the Ford.

2003 Mustang Cobra (458RWHP/447RWTQ)
2007 GMC Envoy Denali
DoomsdayPBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:26 PM #13
huh101

huh101 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
huh101 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit

huh101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:35 PM #14
justavillain
I've got nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by huh101
Why would a brand new truck have major problems?
Some do. Like the 2008 Chevy 1500s having a sound behind the dash when decelerating from 70 to 45

Looking at pricing them out today. The Ford xlt with an 8ft bed 4dr 4x4 is only 1200 off the same thing in Chevy. So its going to come down to consumer reviews. And that's why I'm here

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic
Old 12-13-2011, 05:42 PM #15
RVD9431
Rob V

Annual Supporting Member
RVD9431 plays in the PSP
RVD9431 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
RVD9431 plays in the APPA Pro division
The cummins engines are very nice......but I would go Chevy over the ford, the Chevy has the newly updated Allison 1000 in it which was already a very strong trans, plus the duramax puts out the most HP/TQ numbers, even though the ford out tows the chevy by a few thousand pounds.

Id get the GMC over the chevy, only because I like the GMC's front end more than the chevys, dont like that bigass chrome bumper

However I would put the Chevy/GMC last in every category other than powertrain. I think they look the worst out of the three, and the interior is least appealing, the new dodge interior is super nice, same with the ford
GI Sportz
Virtue
Badlandz
Bad Boyz Toyz

Last edited by RVD9431 : 12-13-2011 at 05:45 PM.
RVD9431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:23 PM #16
AABanned

AABanned is playing at Living Legends VI
AABanned owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
AABanned owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
AABanned supports Pev's Paintball
AABanned has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Ford.

KRF250
AABanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:34 PM #17
weso98
FTB

wrx

CanucksBandwagoner
weso98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:13 PM #18
xtremepb0
Hi i'm Moses

xtremepb0 helped look for balloons
xtremepb0 is playing at Living Legends III
xtremepb0 supports Team VICIOUS
I'd rather be cummin than strokin
Chris Deforge fan club #3
xtremepb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:14 PM #19
F1VENOM

lol, say that when you're getting passed.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:47 PM #20
ecoballer

ecoballer owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
get a duramax or a new f-450 with the 7.3 or an 01 f-350 with 7.3 all the new f-350's are junk
ecoballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:52 PM #21
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoballer View Post
get a duramax or a new f-450 with the 7.3 or an 01 f-350 with 7.3 all the new f-350's are junk
Wut?