PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-14-2011, 09:02 PM #106
KamakaziWatermelon
split the atom

KamakaziWatermelon helped look for balloons
yeah they just released the accapella/midi ****z for it
i'm working on filtering all the noise so it doesnt have that weird phase sound, trying to hit the right spot
thanks

Volucris: My family members often wake me up in the middle of the night telling me I've been screaming battle commands at the top of my lungs while sleeping. I don't know what it means but I don't complain about my dreams."

KamakaziWatermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:03 PM #107
MaTtBoy-II
ohai thar

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetocheat69 View Post
Definitely an art to making punchy kicks that I'm working on. Its not coming easy thats for sure. Muddyness is also something I struggle with.
Good listen though

We probably started producing roughly the same time? Im at like a year + a couple months how about you? Its insane the progress made in that time. Cannot imagine what we will be making in a few years.
Started on FL back in Feb, have been on Ableton since June.

I just think you need to sidechain everything a bit to your kick. When people think "sidechaining" they think fat, throbbing chords or bass; it really doesn't have to be like that. I subtly sidechain everything to my kicks; you can barely tell that the synths are even sidechained but it makes a huge difference with the presence of your kick.

Your kick's frequencies are being drowned out. You need to make it so your kicks frequencies have their own space in the track. My kicks also usually have the highest db; I have the kicks peaking at around -9db, and then scale everything else in the track back from there.

So I'm officially the biggest noob in the world. I discovered today that the channel volume has no effect on the db of your sounds....(If only I had more common sense). I'm now in the process of "re-mastering" a couple of my tracks; scaling all the sounds to the -db level I want them at and then adjusting their volume in the mix accordingly. For months I've just been herping and derping with the channel volume's and limit/gain/drive knobs to get all the volume levels balanced without paying much attention to db.
You truly are the funniest poster on ST MaTt."
"Originally posted by SquirrelMaster
You are my master, MaTtBoy."
That's a negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full.

Last edited by MaTtBoy-II : 12-14-2011 at 09:28 PM.
MaTtBoy-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:28 PM #108
cook. (Banned)
OC_RAGE

i dont side chain my kick and i think they are extremely clear/present in my songs and plenty punchy. i only sidechain it to the sub bass when i want a pumping feeling, or for house/moombah buts its usually not even noticeable.
cook. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:20 PM #109
lovetocheat69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTtBoy-II View Post

So I'm officially the biggest noob in the world. I discovered today that the channel volume has no effect on the db of your sounds....(If only I had more common sense). I'm now in the process of "re-mastering" a couple of my tracks; scaling all the sounds to the -db level I want them at then adjusting their volume in the mix accordingly. For months I've just been herping and derping with the channel volume's and limit/gain/drive knobs to get all the volume levels balanced.
Where/how did you discover this. Rather confused. Db levels perplex me in a lot of ways, especially when you render to audio and can jack the DB's up but yet don't necessarily blast the mixer. If the channels don't have any effect on the db then what would be the purpose in the first place? Unless db's and volume are not directly related, which seems to be the jist I'm getting here.
"Originally posted by Lucidus: Meh, not to be a dick, but if I can't safely pull over, you guys can just wait to go spray a fire with a hose. Nothing against firefighters or EMTs, but nothing you are doing is worth me crashing my bike, nothing."
lovetocheat69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:36 PM #110
MaTtBoy-II
ohai thar

I just tossed a Spectrum Analyzer on my sub channel. My sub could barely be heard, yet was peaking at -1db lol. So I scaled it back to -13db and then cranked the volume on the mixer channel and got the volume I wanted, but had it still peaking at -13db.

I don't fully understand either. From what I gathered in the Reso video, you want your sounds to be as loud as possible at low, scaled-back db. It has something to do with the balance of all the sounds in the track. If your snare is peaking at -9db, and your bass at -13db, your snare will be nice and clear sounding (as it's db isn't conflicting with the bass db), but your bass will still be the volume you want it to be, without it drowning out the snare. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I think it also effects how your track sounds on loud, cranked systems. If your bass is peaking at -1db, or even at 0, and then you have it cranked on a big club system, there will be lots of amplitude and it will sound ****ty; like it's about to blow the speaker. Where as if it's scaled back to a low db, say -13db again, you can have it cranked, and have it be loud, clean and clear sounding.

I'm completely guessing though. I don't know anything for sure.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:40 AM #111
scvrush03
blue collar blood

Quote:
Started on FL back in Feb, have been on Ableton since June.

I just think you need to sidechain everything a bit to your kick. When people think "sidechaining" they think fat, throbbing chords or bass; it really doesn't have to be like that. I subtly sidechain everything to my kicks; you can barely tell that the synths are even sidechained but it makes a huge difference with the presence of your kick.

Your kick's frequencies are being drowned out. You need to make it so your kicks frequencies have their own space in the track. My kicks also usually have the highest db; I have the kicks peaking at around -9db, and then scale everything else in the track back from there.

So I'm officially the biggest noob in the world. I discovered today that the channel volume has no effect on the db of your sounds....(If only I had more common sense). I'm now in the process of "re-mastering" a couple of my tracks; scaling all the sounds to the -db level I want them at and then adjusting their volume in the mix accordingly. For months I've just been herping and derping with the channel volume's and limit/gain/drive knobs to get all the volume levels balanced without paying much attention to db.
All about watching attenuation on your daws spectrum analyzer. I know exactly what youre saying tho. every sound sits in its own pocket, of sorts.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:29 AM #112
JohnnyBananas

Jeez, no idea what the **** any of you are talking about haha...

Really want to get into producing this summer...will put my dad's keyboards and all his other production gear to work.
JohnnyBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:18 AM #113
MaTtBoy-II
ohai thar

New track yo:
http://soundcloud.com/paradigmshif7/...e-original-mix

I learned a cool new production trick tonight from some random anon. It's called the 'haas effect'. You take your main lead synth and dublicate the channel; so you have two of them now playing at the same time. You pan one of them about 40% one way, and the other around 35% the other way. You then put a 10ms delay on one of them and play with the dry/wet. Suddenly your track is "3D" sounding; with the main lead being loud, clear and distinguished from the rest of the track, but not drowning anything out; it gives it a real "stand alone" sound.

The current version of my track on soundcloud doesn't have this done to it yet.

Last edited by MaTtBoy-II : 12-15-2011 at 04:36 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:40 AM #114
cook. (Banned)
OC_RAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBananas View Post
Jeez, no idea what the **** any of you are talking about haha...

Really want to get into producing this summer...will put my dad's keyboards and all his other production gear to work.
he just means stick a spectrum analyzer on your kick channel and make sure its hitting the right frequency. but don't mind him, SCV likes to come in randomly to throw around big words like that and stuff to sound cool or spam his stuff

Quote:
New track yo:
http://soundcloud.com/paradigmshif7/...e-original-mix

I learned a cool new production trick tonight from some random anon. It's called the 'haas effect'. You take your main lead synth and dublicate the channel; so you have two of them now playing at the same time. You pan one of them about 40% one way, and the other around 35% the other way. You then put a 10ms delay on one of them and play with the dry/wet. Suddenly your track is "3D" sounding; with the main lead being loud, clear and distinguished from the rest of the track, but not drowning anything out; it gives it a real "stand alone" sound.

The current version of my track on soundcloud doesn't have this done to it yet.
lol
Old 12-15-2011, 10:47 AM #115
KamakaziWatermelon
split the atom

won the DH contest thanks guys

Volucris: My family members often wake me up in the middle of the night telling me I've been screaming battle commands at the top of my lungs while sleeping. I don't know what it means but I don't complain about my dreams."

Old 12-15-2011, 11:26 AM #116
cook. (Banned)
OC_RAGE

nice, way to pull that one off haha grats. i thought i saw the first couple tunes with a couple thousand and yours with only a couple hundred, and those other tunes were pretty wicked.

how do you think the 1 on 1 sesh is going to work out since they are in the UK? and maybe they can hook you up with some tickets to something local a RAM head is playing instead of something over there.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:29 AM #117
KamakaziWatermelon
split the atom

thanks i was nervous about the play counts, but realized they just track how many plays total, so since I had like..30 plays my count didn't really look as high as the really experience producers had

i'm pretty sure its via Skype, and hopefully they can work it out, if not i'd be cool with a poster or something lol, much rather have them give away tix to the ram christmas special then have them go to waste

Old 12-15-2011, 11:46 AM #118
cook. (Banned)
OC_RAGE

ahh yeah, grats either way. too bad it wasn't for a release on RAM lolol.

yeah but im sure someone on RAM is going to be playing something near you so im sure you could get guestlisted to that instead, and its not like they would probably be giving away actual tickets, but instead guestlist spots, so its a no loss on that end.

have them teach you how to make crazy good snares and then make a video of what they taught you and relay it on to us lolol. id like to be able to make my own 200hz snares but i have to rely on sampling.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:57 PM #119
scvrush03
blue collar blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook. View Post
he just means stick a spectrum analyzer on your kick channel and make sure its hitting the right frequency. but don't mind him, SCV likes to come in randomly to throw around big words like that and stuff to sound cool or spam his stuff

Ay fool ! Thats proper terminology. Par for the course. Google it *****
Old 12-15-2011, 07:01 PM #120
KamakaziWatermelon
split the atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook. View Post
ahh yeah, grats either way. too bad it wasn't for a release on RAM lolol.

yeah but im sure someone on RAM is going to be playing something near you so im sure you could get guestlisted to that instead, and its not like they would probably be giving away actual tickets, but instead guestlist spots, so its a no loss on that end.

have them teach you how to make crazy good snares and then make a video of what they taught you and relay it on to us lolol. id like to be able to make my own 200hz snares but i have to rely on sampling.
i'm planning on recording the whole thing

Old 12-15-2011, 10:25 PM #121
Pizzaman
End Of The Line

Working on this. It's the part from "Kill Everybody" from Skrillex. Not sure about the lead part though, thoughts on the lead? Levels need to be adjusted obviously, and the intro is long.

http://soundcloud.com/twoguyswithguitars/untitled

"He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither."

Last edited by Pizzaman : 12-15-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Pizzaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:34 AM #122
s0c0mnati0n
What hit.. pssh thats rub

Just got back from the hospital. Had an emergency surgery on my shoulder and kidney. been in for 2 days. Shortly after my last post here i went into a sort of kidney malfunction. (wasn't a failure of the kidney) but they said it just stopped working properly for some reason, and the only way to fix it was operate. So i went ahread and told them to fix my shoulder while i was there lol. But im back, and im ok. Feelin kinda funky still from anesthesia 2 days ago, they also gave me dilaudid so im in no pain. just felt like sharing incase anyone cared if not i will delete it.
s0c0mnati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:43 AM #123
KamakaziWatermelon
split the atom

glad youre better

Old 12-16-2011, 04:54 AM #124
MaTtBoy-II
ohai thar

Random question:

The spectrum on my kick channel shows the kick peaking at -8db.

The spectrum on my master shows my kick frequencies peaking at -2db.

WHY!?!?!!?

Anyways. Track complete, for now:
http://soundcloud.com/paradigmshif7/syzygy-original-mix
Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by MaTtBoy-II : 12-16-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:55 AM #125
inkjt510
Romo Never Stops Smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTtBoy-II
Random question:

WHY!?!?!!?

Anyways. Track complete, for now:
http://soundcloud.com/paradigmshif7/syzygy-original-mix
Let me know what you guys think.
Dude I always played as the robot named syzygy on unreal tournament he had really cool sayings.

Also while we're on the topic of personal updates, I'm coming back home from spain today!!!!!!!!!
inkjt510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:48 AM #126
cook. (Banned)
OC_RAGE

Quote:
Random question:

WHY!?!?!!?

Anyways. Track comhink.
what? i thnk you're over thinking that **** way to much. the spectrum analyzer is there to let you know what frequencies are being hit. you and always putting your volumes to certain things is useless, if it sounds good, then it is, if it doesn't it doesn't. if it sounds good having the channel volume all the way up at +6db and it being completely in the red, but it sounds like **** at normal volume, then guess what? keep it at 6db in the red because it sounds better.