surge101 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
surge101 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Linux Multimedia Studio
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2012, 08:58 PM #1220
MaTtBoy-II
ohai thar

has been a member for 10 years
Ableton is so intuitive and well laid out. If you can't stand ableton you're most likely going to feel the same way with any other DAW.
You truly are the funniest poster on ST MaTt."
"Originally posted by SquirrelMaster
You are my master, MaTtBoy."
That's a negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full.
MaTtBoy-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:15 PM #1221
JohnnyBananas

Why not just "acquire" Ableton?
JohnnyBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:22 PM #1222
Pizzaman
End Of The Line

Somebody should help me figure some things on Skype sometime. I'll do things for you...nasty unspeakable things

"He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither."

Pizzaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:27 PM #1223
xander1290
OU

What kind of things do you need figuring out?

Also, can anyone tell me what song this loop is from? I found it in one of my vengeance packs and im obsessed with it and really want to use it butttt im really really against using melodic loops like that in a song. I might have to break my rule. Any help? Id like to hear the song its from before I go any further

http://soundcloud.com/justalexsounds...root-g/s-jNoWT
Trauma Fan Club Member #39
FEEDBACK
xander1290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:30 PM #1224
Pizzaman
End Of The Line

Random stuff, I will PM you.

I really need to make more synths, I can create great chord progressions, melodies. But the sounds are usually the same, I need to get back to making more synths damnit.

"He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither."

Last edited by Pizzaman : 07-28-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Pizzaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:53 AM #1225
surge101
Hayley?

surge101 supports Team VICIOUS
surge101 is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTtBoy-II View Post
Ableton is so intuitive and well laid out. If you can't stand ableton you're most likely going to feel the same way with any other DAW.
Cost is the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBananas View Post
Why not just "acquire" Ableton?
I haven't "acquired" anything in years with all the anti-piracy mumbo jumbo, i've just been too paranoid.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:24 PM #1226
scvrush03
blue collar blood

Anyone familiar with Flex time function in Logic9 ? So damn dope !
Old 07-29-2012, 06:02 PM #1227
JohnnyBananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by surge101 View Post
Cost is the issue.

I haven't "acquired" anything in years with all the anti-piracy mumbo jumbo, i've just been too paranoid.
Lol.
JohnnyBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:21 PM #1228
za1e
the fresh prince

lil jingle I threw together today. sill needs maaaad work but so far I think it has potential.

http://soundcloud.com/zale/new-toon

yes I know it is incredible for something I started today.

Last edited by za1e : 07-30-2012 at 01:24 AM.
za1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:15 PM #1229
za1e
the fresh prince

Disregard the above link. I've done a lot of work on it and here's the update.

http://soundcloud.com/zale/new-toon-2

this is actually the first time I've used sends and buses, and Idk how I ever made songs sound decent without using it. It's how I got the kicks to sound so god damn punchy while still having overhead room

Last edited by za1e : 07-30-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:16 PM #1230
xander1290
OU

I dont think I heard any subbass in there zale, and dnb is usually a lot of that. Take out the sub of the kick and add a sub bassline behind the basslines in there now
Trauma Fan Club Member #39
FEEDBACK
xander1290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:43 PM #1231
za1e
the fresh prince

yeah I still havent made a sub for that track yet. I want it to sound like the bassline in Terravita - Freak out at exactly 4:25. when I think of the nastiest basslines that always comes to mind
Old 07-31-2012, 01:04 AM #1232
za1e
the fresh prince

just found this dude Whickey Pete cus he's on a figure track. subsequently decided to listen to some of his ****. found this. every time I listen to house music I wonder why I don't produce it. my life would be so much easier

http://soundcloud.com/reidspeed/hu-t...reid-speed-mix
Old 07-31-2012, 01:13 AM #1233
scvrush03
blue collar blood

Anyone here use Battery 3 for drum programming ?
Old 07-31-2012, 02:41 AM #1234
za1e
the fresh prince

never tried it. I use drag and drop samples for drum programming. what is the advantages of this software over say ultrabeat, besides the massive library i probs comes with
Old 07-31-2012, 12:17 PM #1235
surge101
Hayley?

After 2 days of working in LMMS, I decided to upload the little sample I did. I know it's by no means good, but I want to upload everything just to keep a track of how i'm progressing with learning about producing. Here's my sample, I know it sucks.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:37 PM #1236
za1e
the fresh prince

I got sassed out last night and was like yo play my new track. then I mumbled something about needing to master it and lost interest. I hate that when u get all psyched up to test drive a track but all u have are ****ty computer speakers and the toon sounds like ****
Old 07-31-2012, 12:53 PM #1237
za1e
the fresh prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by surge101 View Post
After 2 days of working in LMMS, I decided to upload the little sample I did. I know it's by no means good, but I want to upload everything just to keep a track of how i'm progressing with learning about producing. Here's my sample, I know it sucks.
good job. it's definitely got that classic bedroom producer indie sound to it. i sounds like when things should be peaking they don't and overall nothing happens in the tune. try breaking your **** into 5 different parts, work on developing riffs as you go through the track, not so much repetitive but you want the sounds to remain somewhat reminiscent of each other.

but most importanly stick with it. no one is good a producing from the start, and there is just no way to learn the ins and out of audio engineering without just making tunes. start to finish.

the tricky thing about producing dance music is that we are responsible for the creative and technical aspects, where as most genres the producer is more responsible for the recording, mixing, and mastering.

what I love about producing is putting as many cool production tricks on the track as I can. stuff like reversed sounds, sretched and chopped samples, side chaining just about everything, putting a bitcrusher on a track and automating the sample rate, sampling LOTS of ****.

New producers might be a little weary of sampling to heavy because it may seem like cheating. It's not. Synthesis is important but learning to manipulate samples and use them without it being obvious what track you sampled from is important to. After all if u are trying to make a dirty electro synth with mad glide and some reversed parts your not going to do that entirely on your synth. Odds are you will ge as close as you can hen bounce it, at this point you are working with a sample albei one you made yourself.

what DAW are u using?
Old 07-31-2012, 01:12 PM #1238
surge101
Hayley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by za1e View Post
good job. it's definitely got that classic bedroom producer indie sound to it. i sounds like when things should be peaking they don't and overall nothing happens in the tune. try breaking your **** into 5 different parts, work on developing riffs as you go through the track, not so much repetitive but you want the sounds to remain somewhat reminiscent of each other.

but most importanly stick with it. no one is good a producing from the start, and there is just no way to learn the ins and out of audio engineering without just making tunes. start to finish.

the tricky thing about producing dance music is that we are responsible for the creative and technical aspects, where as most genres the producer is more responsible for the recording, mixing, and mastering.

what I love about producing is putting as many cool production tricks on the track as I can. stuff like reversed sounds, sretched and chopped samples, side chaining just about everything, putting a bitcrusher on a track and automating the sample rate, sampling LOTS of ****.

New producers might be a little weary of sampling to heavy because it may seem like cheating. It's not. Synthesis is important but learning to manipulate samples and use them without it being obvious what track you sampled from is important to. After all if u are trying to make a dirty electro synth with mad glide and some reversed parts your not going to do that entirely on your synth. Odds are you will ge as close as you can hen bounce it, at this point you are working with a sample albei one you made yourself.

what DAW are u using?
Thanks a lot, that being the first bit of feedback i've gotten, I definitely feel more inspired to keep trying at it and get better. I don't know how to sidechain or do reverse sounds or anything like that yet, so I figure i'll watch some tutorials on doing that and try to implement them into the next project I do. I never really thought about sampling, but now I have to try manipulating some samples, I really want to learn to at least be able to do everything I can with this.
The DAW i'm using is Linux Multimedia Studio.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:11 PM #1239
za1e
the fresh prince

I'm not familiar with that daw, but I'm sure it is very capable of making bomb tunes. I produced exclusively in garageband up until last november, simply because it was all I could afford. It does help down the line, compatability-wise, to switch to a more common daw, but you will know when that time comes. A good way to get samples is to torrent large collections of them. samples are like gold, and with good quality samples your productions will sound dope.

another key to using commercially available samples is to either layer them with other samples to create a fuller sound, or otherwise alter it in a way that makes it sound less generic.

tools that are useful for editing samples are pitch manipulating effects (so you can use any sample regardless of key.), flex time (for changing the tempo of your samples without changing the pitch), overdrive/distortion, and a number of others.

a good trick is if you are automating a sound that you want to use again in the automation curve, you bounce it as wav and then you can drop it in whenever and you won' have to **** with the automation curve any more than necessary.

make sure when u bounce these sounds you don't compress them prior to bouncing, you make sure there's enough headroom for you to add volume down the line.

the reason being for not compressing is that particular sound will probably be compressed another 3 times before you have your final product. all this compression will destroy the dynamic range of the sample as well as lowering the sample rate.

Last edited by za1e : 07-31-2012 at 03:14 PM.