Community Focus

Old 06-28-2012, 07:09 PM #1051
Quittman
818L8

has been a member for 10 years
Quittman posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkidsrocks2 View Post
I was just about to order a pair today or tomorrow. They are 200 brand new though so hopefully he is willing to negotiate.
checke your fb, i sent you a lower price.

Also, if anyone is in Denver next Saturday come out to Club Vinyl in downtown Denver.
Quittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2012, 07:27 PM #1052
KamakaziWatermelon
split the atom

KamakaziWatermelon helped look for balloons
nice one man, i'll tell my brother to check it out
edit:
tease for new jungly/old school 00's dnb tune
http://soundcloud.com/sixfour/spicy-tease

Volucris: My family members often wake me up in the middle of the night telling me I've been screaming battle commands at the top of my lungs while sleeping. I don't know what it means but I don't complain about my dreams."

Last edited by KamakaziWatermelon : 06-28-2012 at 07:53 PM.
KamakaziWatermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:25 PM #1053
MaTtBoy-II
ohai thar

Why so ignored?
You truly are the funniest poster on ST MaTt."
"Originally posted by SquirrelMaster
You are my master, MaTtBoy."
That's a negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full.
MaTtBoy-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:10 PM #1054
xander1290
OU

Matt, that track was real neat man. Your mix sounded pretty nice, kick was lacking a tad and got lost a little but with a chill song like that it may have been what you were going for. Other than that all the sounds sound nice and you have some nice panning on the percussion and FX.

I have a WIP that I would love some feedback one if anyone has the time. Much appreciated

http://soundcloud.com/justalexsounds/waka-waka/s-e7CqL
Trauma Fan Club Member #39
FEEDBACK
xander1290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:18 PM #1055
punkkipp
In Search of Sunrise

punkkipp is a Supporting Member
punkkipp helped look for balloons
Anyone going to Identity Festival?
Old 07-01-2012, 02:48 PM #1056
za1e
the fresh prince

Does anyone else mix in key? For those that don't know it is a technique used by DJ's that involves only mixing tracks that are in key with eachother. For example if I have 2 tracks in the key of Dm, those two tracks will sound best mixed with eachother. If I run out of tracks in D usually what I do is calculate a perfect 5th and mix into that. For Example from the key of D I would count 7 half steps up from D which is A. From A i would most likely mix into E. U can get creative with things like minor and major 3rds.

The first mix I made after learning this technique was incredible. If you have a couple minutes to spare listen to this mini mix. You will clearly hear the benefits of mixing in key.

Apparently there is software that will do this for you called "Mixed In Key", but I don't use it. I use virtual DJ pro with a Numark software controller, which roughly calculates the key of a track when you load it. If you are using records or ****ty cd decks that don't have key capabilities I think the best way to manually determine the key is with a piano. start playing notes over the track (a nice drawn out synth pad is good for this, or a sub bass. the good thing about ising the sub bass is that it will be very apparent if the bass is in the wrong key.)

The thing about keys is that technically it's all music theory, but like all music theory typically what is theoretically correct, sounds correct.

I know this is PBNation so for some ****ed up reason I'll probably get flamed for this informative post aimed exlusively at helping other DJ's, Take my advice or leave it, but the youtube mix speaks for its self. If you want to be able to pinpoint exactly what songs will sound perfect with eachother before you even press play I strongly reccommend you look into this technique. Peace
Old 07-01-2012, 02:54 PM #1057
JohnnyBananas

^Lol'd

Can anyone else simply not stand these short *** mixes people put up? What's the point?
JohnnyBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:04 PM #1058
za1e
the fresh prince

This is the first and only mini mix I've ever made lol. I usually do 45 minutes to an hour and a half but I wanted something short and sweet to illustrate the benefits of mixing in key. I would never exclusively drop 10 minute mixes lol, I think the "Mini Mix" is an advent of the Youtube Generation.

Here's my most recent mix, I do em every month and call them Subtherapy. This mix is also mixed in key but there is much more variation/key (and tempo) changes.

http://soundcloud.com/zale/subtherapy-004-june-mix

I wish there was a way to embed the soundcloud player.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:06 PM #1059
MaTtBoy-II
ohai thar

I think the point was to demonstrate mixing in key.

Nice post za1e, I'll incorporate it into the OP.
You truly are the funniest poster on ST MaTt."
"Originally posted by SquirrelMaster
You are my master, MaTtBoy."
That's a negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full.
MaTtBoy-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:21 PM #1060
JohnnyBananas

Word..good post for those who didn't knew about the benefits of in-key mixing.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:24 PM #1061
za1e
the fresh prince

Thanks Mattboy. I think there's a lot of new DJ's who simply don't know what it is, and as a result arent getting what they want out of their mixes. There are sites that offerinformation, but only if you pay them. What a crock of ****. Knowledge is power, and this particular technique can make your mixes sound exponentially better.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:28 PM #1062
dpkidsrocks2

Quote:
Originally Posted by za1e View Post
Thanks Mattboy. I think there's a lot of new DJ's who simply don't know what it is, and as a result arent getting what they want out of their mixes. There are sites that offerinformation, but only if you pay them. What a crock of ****. Knowledge is power, and this particular technique can make your mixes sound exponentially better.
I know plenty of DJ's that do not used mixed in key whatsoever and their mixes sound great... I have seen so many new DJ's act like mixed in key is something everybody needs to use but honestly its not really needed... Its just something for you to tell yourself your mixes sound better. If you know your tracks well enough an experienced ear can tell which tracks will sound good together and which ones won't... Sure mixed in key might help a bit but I think new DJ's should practice other things than making sure all their mixes are in pefect key.

And besides what is mixed in key going to help with when all you are playing is high pitched screeching music... with obnoxious midrange in between... lol

Last edited by dpkidsrocks2 : 07-01-2012 at 03:31 PM.
dpkidsrocks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:07 PM #1063
Pope:chowmein (Banned)
[20] I are Pope bow down.

I have the the program but i don't use it.

I like to beatmatch by ear.

Harmonic mixing is easy to make a smooth transition when the keys compliment each other.

edit: To comment on you're statement. That a lot of dj's aren't satisfied with they're mix.

Its not so much the track selection and transitions for me or harmonic mixing.
My problem with mixing is trying out new effects I've never used and making it sound good.
I usually use the same effects over & over. So i practice with new effects i don't use often and it doesn't sound great. So its just trial and error for me. I really need to learn how to use my sample decks. Loops & accapellas. I usually don't use any accapellas unless they are already in the track i am mixing. Then ill create a loop out of the accapellas, add some samples. But i rarely use loops or samples & accapellas. I just load track A, Load track B. Add effects and mix into a new track.

Last edited by Pope:chowmein : 07-01-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Pope:chowmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:18 PM #1064
acepb
Swagswagswagschwag

acepb is a Paintball photographer
acepb plays in the APPA beginner division
acepb has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
acepb has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
That moment when Spitfire by PR and Right this second by deadmau5 have very very similar arp progressions. O.O
"Originally posted by DyePaintballer2k11: I said vehicles, not garbage."
acepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:35 PM #1065
za1e
the fresh prince

I don't use mixed in key, I mix in key. The simple fact is you son't have to limit you're mixes by key, but if you mix to songs together that aren't in key it will sound like complete ****. It's like a guitarist saying "do I have to limit myself by only playing notes in key?" or a drummer saying "do I really have to play a steady tempo? I feel like that limits me. Music theory isn't something that someone made up, music theory is basically observations of how sounds and frequencies are perceived by our brain. Although it can be argued that there is no wrong answer in art, the reason why theory exists is because it explains why certain thing sound "good" and certain things sound "bad".

I might make a demonstration of a couple songs mixed together, so you can hear the difference for yourself. Trust me when I say that it is a huge difference.

Of course there is always the option of changing the key/pitch of the track you plan on mixing. If you play a track in C but really want to mix into a track that is in F# for example, you can pitch up the track by a half step so that it is in G, and the two tracks will flow together. Unfortunately this makes the tracks slightly less recognizable, although it can be used successfully.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:05 PM #1066
za1e
the fresh prince

As Promised here is the very short demonstration.

http://soundcloud.com/zale/demo-of-mixing-in-key

The first track is Feed Me - Grand Theft Ecstasy, which is in the Key of C Major. I mixed this into Zedd - Stars Come out which is also in C Major. The third track is Feed Me - Relocation, which is in C# minor. As you can see the first 2 songs flow together well, to the point of actually sounding like they were made for eachother, but the third song sounds like complete **** when mixed with the second.

This is just one example, but I can guarantee that if you mix 2 songs together that are in key it will always sound better than 2 songs that are in clashing keys.

It's actually a very similar concept to color theory. In fact if you look at a "Key Wheel" it looks a lot like a standard color wheel. For those that don't know color theory is basically study of how colors interact with eachother when you look at them. An artist familiar with color theory can choose a color scheme/layout that looks good before even seeing it. Complimentary colors could be used as an analogy for the perfect fifth. For example Blue and Orange are opposites of the color spectrum, and therefore "pop" out from the image. (Groben likes his girls to pop). Same goes for green and purple, yellow and violet, etc.

This Is a Color Wheel used in Color Theory

And this is a Music Key Wheel

Although I have never actually used a key wheel, but from what I could find out with a quick search it is laid out like a clock. Say you played a song in the key of F# Major, the next progression theoretically should be Db Major. This method works but it seems like it does actually limit you more than the method I use, although it may produce results that are more "correct".

What I do is I look at my keyboard, A is C, W is C#, S is D, E is D#, D is E, F is F, T is F#, G is G, Y is G#, H is A, U is A#, J is B, and once again K is C.
If I know the track I'm playing is C major then I know that I can play any song that isn't in a key that is a sharp or a flat. Basically I look at a scale and pick songs that's keys are a part of that scale. Idk if this is making sense, but I'm trying my best.

Last edited by za1e : 07-01-2012 at 05:11 PM.
za1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:15 PM #1067
dpkidsrocks2

Yea I know it definately makes sense but just from my personal experience it isn't really needed. I know and have heard tons and tons of DJ's that don't know what key any of their tracks are in and yet still don't have issues mixing whatsoever. Maybe If I was mixing trance or something I would consider it...

And do you factor in tracks not being in their original key due to being pitched up or down? I mean **** i know you use virtual DJ but CDJ's are not going to tell me what key the track is currently playing in if its pitched up or down a bit lol.
dpkidsrocks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:19 PM #1068
JohnnyBananas

Is a notable pitch change happening when you go from 127 to 129 bpm ? To me, there's no change lol. I have a very good ear for music, and don't think it matters..
Old 07-01-2012, 05:30 PM #1069
za1e
the fresh prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkidsrocks2 View Post
Yea I know it definately makes sense but just from my personal experience it isn't really needed. I know and have heard tons and tons of DJ's that don't know what key any of their tracks are in and yet still don't have issues mixing whatsoever. Maybe If I was mixing trance or something I would consider it...

And do you factor in tracks not being in their original key due to being pitched up or down? I mean **** i know you use virtual DJ but CDJ's are not going to tell me what key the track is currently playing in if its pitched up or down a bit lol.
This is one of the advantages of a software controller/cdj's. Almost all modern cdj's have a keylock, and most all software as well. And usually a it will tell you the key of the track right when you load it. From there you can decide whether you need to change the key or what.

It also matters what genre the track is, if you are mixing the outro of a track that is mostly on hits and drums with the intro of a track that is the same, the key won't really matter. But if you are mixing from the middle of a track, and the bassline is still going and pianos and synths are playing, as well as the intro of the next track having key specific frequencys, then it becomes more important to mix in key.

With something like hardstyle if you are mixing 2 tracks and there happens to be a reverse bassline going on each track, you better make damn sure you're either in the right key or you have a high pass over one of the tracks so that the 2 subs aren't fighting eachother for available frequencys.

I do agree though that with many experienced DJ's they don't put a lot of thought into mixing in key because it is something that comes naturally with experience. Even if you don't know that what you are doing is mixing in key, if you practice mixing a lot you will start to lean towards it simply because it is what produces the best results.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:25 PM #1070
za1e
the fresh prince

I think the bottom line is if you choose to use the method of mixing in key (not the program), you will find that it can do a lot for your' mixes. Don't dismiss it before trying it because you know DJ's that "dont use it", because even though they may not come out and say they mix harmonically, they most likely do it in some form unconsciously.

kind of like if someone teaches themselves to play guitar, they will lean towards playing in key just because it is the most pleasing to hear, even though no one told them that that is what they are doing and that is what it is called.

If you have any questions about it then feel free to pm me and post here. I will respond to your post so other people can learn from it.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:32 PM #1071
KamakaziWatermelon
split the atom

KamakaziWatermelon helped look for balloons
basically mixing in key is only really utilized by house/trance guys that have heavy melodies, i've never even heard of dnb/dubstep/anything else djs doing that

Volucris: My family members often wake me up in the middle of the night telling me I've been screaming battle commands at the top of my lungs while sleeping. I don't know what it means but I don't complain about my dreams."

KamakaziWatermelon is offline   Reply With Quote