Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-28-2011, 11:59 PM #1
ion_phantom
#mynameisbubbaa

ion_phantom plays in the PSP
ion_phantom plays in the APPA D4 division
New to Photography

well guys sorry if this isnt allowed but i know alot of the paintball scene knows alot about there cameras.

So for xmas im treating myself into a nice camera, ive always been interested in photography but since my school was a piece of **** and didnt let me in the photography class all 3 years i was in highschool i never got the chance to get more involved in it.

So my choice is either

T2i or T3i

My questions
1. Whats the difference? My buddy works at best buy and he pretty much said that the screen moves on the T3?
2. On these ^ are they cameras and video cameras? id like to take pictures and also start making paintball videos.
3. (mainly for videos) What are some basic "lenses" i will need? This is my only fault with cameras. Lenses are like another language to me lol.
4. (goes with ? 3) What are good lenses/accessories for black/white pictures? Also what is a good lenses for "fishbowl effect" i think its called?
5. Whats good video software to edit videos?

Also if you think theres anything else i should know, PLEASE feel free to share.

Thank you very much,
Alex
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2011, 12:01 AM #2
TweaKie

TweaKie owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
TweaKie supports Team VICIOUS
TweaKie has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
TweaKie has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
i think if i were you may be a little more than the t3i not sure the starting price for the t3i, but for videos i think the 60D is good in that range
TweaKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:02 AM #3
ion_phantom
#mynameisbubbaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweaKie View Post
i think if i were you may be a little more than the t3i not sure the starting price for the t3i, but for videos i think the 60D is good in that range
Well my dad is in the army so i get a pretty decent discount ok everything. On there site the T3i is listed at Orignal is $899. My price is $845.00
Or the T2i is listed $799. My price is $699.
Just trying to figure out with that big of a price difference what the T3 does that the T2 doesnt.

http://digital-photography-school.co...2i-vs-t3i.html

also i found this thread to be very helpful.

Last edited by ion_phantom : 11-29-2011 at 12:07 AM.
ion_phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:04 AM #4
skwirnmn
Chris Loh

skwirnmn has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
the t3i is the same camera as the t2i with little differences. one advantage to having the t3i over the t2i is the articulating screen, which helps a lot for video.

other than that, they focus the same, they produce nearly identical images, the t3i might be slightly smaller and lighter, they both have the same resolution screens, and i believe the screens are the same size.

couldn't you have googled all of this though..?
skwirnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:28 AM #5
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce

SniperForce-Duffek plays in the APPA D5 division
Or you can buy it on amazon for $620.

"May god have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."
G.S.P
SniperForce-Duffek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:33 AM #6
PbLoSeR05
CodyB

PbLoSeR05 is a Paintball photographer
PbLoSeR05 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
PbLoSeR05 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion_phantom View Post
well guys sorry if this isnt allowed but i know alot of the paintball scene knows alot about there cameras.

So for xmas im treating myself into a nice camera, ive always been interested in photography but since my school was a piece of **** and didnt let me in the photography class all 3 years i was in highschool i never got the chance to get more involved in it.

So my choice is either

T2i or T3i

My questions
1. Whats the difference? My buddy works at best buy and he pretty much said that the screen moves on the T3?
2. On these ^ are they cameras and video cameras? id like to take pictures and also start making paintball videos.
3. (mainly for videos) What are some basic "lenses" i will need? This is my only fault with cameras. Lenses are like another language to me lol.
4. (goes with ? 3) What are good lenses/accessories for black/white pictures? Also what is a good lenses for "fishbowl effect" i think its called?
5. Whats good video software to edit videos?

Also if you think theres anything else i should know, PLEASE feel free to share.

Thank you very much,
Alex
1. See previous posts.
2. They're Primarily cameras, with movie capabilites. Both are possible.
3. Well, it depends on what you're shooting. For paintball, I would suggest this lens to start with http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._4_5_6_IS.html It's not exactly the BEST lens, but it's affordable and will get you by to start.
4. For black and white, you don't need accessories. It's all in the processing. And the lens you're looking for, is called a fisheye lens (Or Ultra-Wide Angle.) Like so- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...8mm_f_3_5.html
5. Can't really help ya there.

I'm sure there's a ton of room for improvements on my answers. Or corrections for that matter. If anybody wants to chime in/fix my wording, go for it.

Houston Heat
PhotoMOB
PbLoSeR05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:51 AM #7
ion_phantom
#mynameisbubbaa

thanks for the answers guys!
Old 11-29-2011, 09:30 AM #8
outkast kid

outkast kid is a Paintball photographer
1. The t3i has a fold-out, articulating screen. The t2i doesn't, that's the difference. If you're making mostly movies, go for the t3i. If movies are more on the back burner, you're fine with the t2i.

2. Every model Canon has put out since about two years ago has built-in video capability.

DSLRs have a few advantages for video:
-The cameras and lenses are comparatively cheap for the quality of footage they produce.
-They're easily accessible and portable.
-They're simpler to use and set up because the settings for stills cross over to video.

This is a video I helped do the compositing and post/effects for. The footage is a mix of 1080p from DSLRs and 4K from a RED cam. Can you tell the difference?

3. For starting off the kit lens and a 55-250IS (as previously mentioned) will be fine. Those are the two lenses I used for the first year I had a DSLR and they worked fine.

4. Lenses don't make the difference of whether you're shooting color or b&w.

For fisheye, I'd suggest the lens that was also posted (the bower). It goes by several different brand names; Bower, Opteka, Rokinon and Samyang but it's the same lens. I just bought one and for the price it's got a lot of strengths.

5. Depends on your OS and skill level. Final Cut Pro 9 (not X, it's terrible), Avid or Adobe Premier are the three big choices for Mac users. If you want to get fancy you could use AfterEffects or even Nuke to do post-processing and additional editing.

Last edited by outkast kid : 11-29-2011 at 09:33 AM.
outkast kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:04 PM #9
ion_phantom
#mynameisbubbaa

Great answers Outkast, thx a bunch!
Old 11-29-2011, 12:48 PM #10
fainerbainer
CK

fainerbainer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
glad people have been civil and helpful. My advise? There's a FAQ at the top of the this sub-forum.
fainerbainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:45 PM #11
xander2188

xander2188 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
xander2188 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
dslrs imo aren't the best platform for making sports videos. You have no autofocus so you either need to use depth of field, or learn how to pull focus really well. I am not trying to say that it isn't possible, many people do. But if my main focus was sports video, I would probably get a real video camera.

In terms of editing, final cut pro is pretty much the video equivalent of photoshop. But it is only on OS, but adobe premiere is basically the same thing. If you have no video editing experience I recommend starting out with iMovie or movie maker because FCP can be pretty daunting the first few times you use it.
xander2188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:22 AM #12
Tom )TCO(
Old School

Tom )TCO( is a Supporting Member
I'm new photography also, I quickly found out there's more to buy than a camera and lens, so dont spend all your cash on these 2.

For paintball you'll want a rain cover, a couple of memory cards (class 10), probably a grip and extra battery, lens cleaning supplies, an editing program other than canon's digital photo pro.

Hope this helps some
Old 12-28-2011, 07:51 PM #13
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
I'd take a canon over a red anyday. For paintball shooting at least lol

Instagram
ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:53 PM #14
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander2188 View Post
dslrs imo aren't the best platform for making sports videos. You have no autofocus so you either need to use depth of field, or learn how to pull focus really well. I am not trying to say that it isn't possible, many people do. But if my main focus was sports video, I would probably get a real video camera.

In terms of editing, final cut pro is pretty much the video equivalent of photoshop. But it is only on OS, but adobe premiere is basically the same thing. If you have no video editing experience I recommend starting out with iMovie or movie maker because FCP can be pretty daunting the first few times you use it.
I don't know any sports photographers/cam ops who use auto-focus. What kind of camera do you use that you're using auto-focus?

Instagram
Old 12-28-2011, 08:54 PM #15
StosPhotography
Stos Photography

StosPhotography is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom )TCO( View Post
I'm new photography also, I quickly found out there's more to buy than a camera and lens, so dont spend all your cash on these 2.

For paintball you'll want a rain cover, a couple of memory cards (class 10), probably a grip and extra battery, lens cleaning supplies, an editing program other than canon's digital photo pro.

Hope this helps some
uh thats on u buying stuff u dont need... u dont need a rain cover, at all... u dont need multiple memory cards, and 8gb will do unless ur shooting a 1d body at 10fps blasting off shots like nobodys business... ive never once came close to running out of battery, just dont be stupid...

StosPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:05 PM #16
huh101

huh101 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
huh101 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by StosPhotography View Post
uh thats on u buying stuff u dont need... u dont need a rain cover, at all... u dont need multiple memory cards, and 8gb will do unless ur shooting a 1d body at 10fps blasting off shots like nobodys business... ive never once came close to running out of battery, just dont be stupid...
A rain cover would be nice in the rain, but isn't really needed as long as you don't shoot in the rain. An 8GB would be ok, as long as you upload all your photos after you're done and clear out the space. I would get a 32 just to be safe (Class 10 obviously, unless you don't shoot something quick enough to need it). And a spare battery is nice to have just in case.

huh101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:16 PM #17
outkast kid

outkast kid is a Paintball photographer
Rain cover = trash bag. I carry 2 8 gigs and the only time I ever shoot more than one of them in a day is stills during a PSP/NPPL event or doing video. Extra batteries are always nice to have but you shouldn't need more than two in a day.
outkast kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:56 PM #18
skwirnmn
Chris Loh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoBaller1991 View Post
I don't know any sports photographers/cam ops who use auto-focus. What kind of camera do you use that you're using auto-focus?

there's no way that camera operators pull focus manually.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:08 PM #19
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwirnmn View Post

there's no way that camera operators pull focus manually.
my boss is a cam op/TD for wgn lol has been a cam op for cubs games, sox games, and bears games lol BUT I'll text her just to double check...

haha and she said and I quote "ALWAYS!!!" (always as in always use manual focus)

Instagram
Old 12-29-2011, 05:14 PM #20
skwirnmn
Chris Loh

what's she shoot with? assuming the Panasonic platform?

you're half right either way. no sports photographer would ever use manual focus besides rare cases. i've used manual focus just a handful of times shooting sports.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:17 PM #21
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwirnmn View Post
what's she shoot with? assuming the Panasonic platform?

you're half right either way. no sports photographer would ever use manual focus besides rare cases. i've used manual focus just a handful of times shooting sports.
ahhhhh ahaha well im thinking video for tv..... my bad. but for photography I can't imagine a photographer using auto either though. Pros don't need auto focus. And the tv cameras are beast panasonics on a full pedestal, they use servo zoom/focus so its easier.

But I would think if i was taking pictures of a say football game and I wanted just the one guy in focus when theres 10 other guys around him, auto-focus can mess that up on you. but for photography it def is up to the photographer.

Instagram