PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-25-2012, 09:58 PM #22
liealgebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRB33 View Post
On the other hand, being able to put college athlete on your resume is definitely a bonus. Certain character traits are often associated with athletes; among them discipline, perseverance, dedication, etc.

But yeah, the social life is definitely better minus athletics. Academically, I actually benefitted from being forced to do my homework, but often practice and competition will cut into your study time.
Not to rain on your parade, but I would like to point out that being an athlete doesn't necessarily convey those traits to others, unless of course they are athletes themselves or former.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but if I am looking at resumes and I want to hire someone, I'm going to be looking for dedication within the field of study. Extracurricular activities involving your major, or internships in your field of study, are the best way to go. It shows you actually have an interest in it, have dedication, and most importantly that you have the experience needed in the job market.
liealgebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:09 PM #23
TRB33

TRB33 supports Team VICIOUS
TRB33 supports Team VICIOUS
TRB33 is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by liealgebra View Post
Not to rain on your parade, but I would like to point out that being an athlete doesn't necessarily convey those traits to others, unless of course they are athletes themselves or former.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but if I am looking at resumes and I want to hire someone, I'm going to be looking for dedication within the field of study. Extracurricular activities involving your major, or internships in your field of study, are the best way to go. It shows you actually have an interest in it, have dedication, and most importantly that you have the experience needed in the job market.
I'm glad you made this point, you're absolutely correct. Extracurriculars within your field of study are vital and irreplaceable. However, athletics can complement these activities and add depth to your resume. I'm definitely not saying that you will not get a job simply because you have athlete on your resume.

In addition, it is your responsibility to be able to articulate how athletics has shaped your character.

Last edited by TRB33 : 01-30-2012 at 04:24 PM.
TRB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:30 PM #24
goodEYEDsniper
Iowa State Baller

Annual Supporting Member
goodEYEDsniper owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
goodEYEDsniper supports Team VICIOUS
goodEYEDsniper is an NCPA player
goodEYEDsniper has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
goodEYEDsniper has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
goodEYEDsniper is attending Decay of Nations VI
I play paintball but that isnt time consuming lol.
My buddy wrestled and he never had any free time. He was either doing hw, practicing, lifting, or at the trainer. That was also wrestling D3 I believe.

Iowa State University Cyclones #563
•Team Site•
Sponsors
Guerrilla Air|Raza
goodEYEDsniper is offline   Reply With Quote