PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyRegional Ups

Old 02-21-2016, 05:05 PM #1
BaconCHEEZBurger

Tournaments near Madison

Anyone know of any tourneys near Madison? Is Apocalypse doing anything this year? Just got back into playing looking for some local 3man tourneys.
BaconCHEEZBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2016, 09:36 PM #2
PBinsanity228
redlineIT228

has been a member for 10 years
PBinsanity228 plays in the PSP
PBinsanity228 plays in the APPA D5 division
Would like to see something at apoc this year. Been a few years..
PBinsanity228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:21 PM #3
BaconCHEEZBurger

I think they stopped holding the 3mans due to lack of participants. I've got some new people into the game this time around I'm sure I could pull off 2 lines for a 3man. Maybe if we get enough interest in this thread they'll run one? I'm pretty sure they still have a sponsored team to ref it.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:31 PM #4
stalker2005
~The Finisher~

stalker2005 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
stalker2005 supports DLX Technology
3 man event in the works right now. What would you guys like to see? I need input or this won't go anywhere
Khaotik Paintball - MBGM SMACK SMACK
stalker2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:20 AM #5
Skipdogg

Woods
Skipdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:56 PM #6
jhubble

Won't be woodsball. It will be an airball 3man tourney.
jhubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:41 PM #7
jhubble

Just seeing if my signature is working... don't mind me haha
jhubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:49 AM #8
VanChuckStraw

VanChuckStraw owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
VanChuckStraw has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Rather new to this...
When it comes to: Suggestions what are you implying?

Format?
Prizes?
Allowable Teams and Team Mixtures?
Layouts?
VanChuckStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:28 PM #9
LLcoolJames
pumpin' hard

LLcoolJames is for the Gunfight
LLcoolJames supports Pev's Paintball
LLcoolJames has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
LLcoolJames has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Pump!
Old 03-01-2016, 07:20 PM #10
stalker2005
~The Finisher~

plays in the NXL
Anything that you as a player would want to see?

This is what we are thinking :

3 man
$150 Entry
$55 / case
Race 2 Format 10.5 bps NXL format
D4 event with 1 D3 drop in. Max roster of 4

At this what would you all like to see for prizes? How many teams to make this happen?
Old 03-03-2016, 07:43 PM #11
BaconCHEEZBurger

Sounds good. I don't care much for prizes and wouldn't mind seeing a trophy dash style tournament and the entry reflect that.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:48 PM #12
BaconCHEEZBurger

I mean because you really have two options: 1) expensive entry/big prize payout to pull teams in from bigger distances 2) cheap entry/no prize payout/beginner (casual) tournament.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:52 AM #13
VanChuckStraw

Honestly, I have a few ideas, but need a bit more information:
How many fields do you have or are you going to setup?
Who will be the referees?
Is it going to be a single-day event or multiple-day event?
Are you going to attempt and make it annual?
What kind of awards are you guys looking at?
Are you looking at a single event or multiple events through out the 'season'?
>>Basically, that question is: How repeatable do you want it? (BaconCheezBurger's question)

What are you (host) attempting to do with the tournament?
>>Get your name out there, generate positive feedback to the community about Paintball...basically, what are you trying to gain/get?
Old 03-05-2016, 11:55 AM #14
BaconCHEEZBurger

It's Khaotic, Apoc's sponsored team, usually a responsibility of teams is to hold events. It'd be on the Airball field. Hopefully that answers your questions.

Also, to Khaotic I could see a 1v1 tourney being successful. Cash payout. Hell even make it Byop. I've always wanted to try a 1v1 tournament.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:04 PM #15
Kcoda16

Kcoda16 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
3 of us from Stevens point play pretty regularly at apoc on Sunday's, wouldn't mind seeing a tournament of any sorts. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help
Kcoda16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:23 PM #16
stalker2005
~The Finisher~

plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanChuckStraw View Post
Honestly, I have a few ideas, but need a bit more information:
How many fields do you have or are you going to setup?
Who will be the referees?
Is it going to be a single-day event or multiple-day event?
Are you going to attempt and make it annual?
What kind of awards are you guys looking at?
Are you looking at a single event or multiple events through out the 'season'?
>>Basically, that question is: How repeatable do you want it? (BaconCheezBurger's question)

What are you (host) attempting to do with the tournament?
>>Get your name out there, generate positive feedback to the community about Paintball...basically, what are you trying to gain/get?
My team (Khaotik D3 team) would be hosting and reffing the event.
Only have 1 field setup as there wouldn't be a need for multiple fields.
This would be a single event and depending on the turnout we could possibly make it into a Series.
I am unsure of what you mean by "awards"? Like a participation award? Please clarify so I can answer that better.

Our attempt is to host a safe, fun and reputable event in the centralized Wisconsin Area. Aside from those goals we want to help promote our sponsors, get Apocalypse paintball back on the map. Most teams ref an event to get something free or paid. Our goal is to take all proceeds and put them back into the airball field in some way shape or form so EVERYBODY benefits from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconCHEEZBurger View Post
It's Khaotik, Apoc's sponsored team, usually a responsibility of teams is to hold events. It'd be on the Airball field. Hopefully that answers your questions.

Also, to Khaotik I could see a 1v1 tourney being successful. Cash payout. Hell even make it Byop. I've always wanted to try a 1v1 tournament.
We have tossed around this idea. What do you think would be a good entry price for BYOP and without BYOP. We have only noticed 1 of these being done which was in MN. Entry was 100 bucks and paint was 70 just as a rough estimate. We are here to try and make what you guys want to happen actually happen.

Our biggest downfall is we have alot of teams commit and say they want to do stuff but then when it comes down to the time to pay alot of people back out. This is the hump we need to get over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcoda16 View Post
3 of us from Stevens point play pretty regularly at apoc on Sunday's, wouldn't mind seeing a tournament of any sorts. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help
We appreciate the support. At this time it would be just to continue checking this forum and coming to apocalypse!

The event is going to be through held through APPA so we can have the hold the best event possible. We are thinking of holding the event May 8th or May 15th.

Any other questions?
Old 03-06-2016, 08:49 AM #17
VanChuckStraw

Thank you for responding to my questions!
Here is my response to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalker2005 View Post
I am unsure of what you mean by "awards"? Like a participation award? Please clarify so I can answer that better.
Awards:
Instead of Trophies or Keep-sakes, what about:
Entry into Following Years Tournament - 1st: Free
>>Champion can attempt to defend

Assistance within entry fee-payment into a National event
>>And what if you're able to give the winning team, a patch or Icon they could display at the National Event...It is the: I am here because I won this Tournament award.

You mentioned your mission is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalker2005 View Post
Our attempt is to host a safe, fun and reputable event in the centralized Wisconsin Area. Aside from those goals we want to help promote our sponsors, get Apocalypse paintball back on the map. Most teams ref an event to get something free or paid. Our goal is to take all proceeds and put them back into the airball field in some way shape or form so EVERYBODY benefits from it.
If you're going for the community at large, what about:
Offering a discount for Paint by donating two-cans of Food to support your local food pantry?!?
>>Instead of 100, it is now 75 with two-cans.

Themes:
Tournament is always more memorable if there was a theme...
One of my favorite tournaments as a kid, was a swim-meet which was nothing more than various relays, but the best one was at the end: 8 guys doing 50 meters. Top three teams: Received a medal, but the real prize: Pineapples!

You guys being Klowns and it being Apoc; maybe: the traveling trophy or the overall trophy is a: Re-painted Garden Gnome? Then you could come-up with some catchy word-play for the tournament. And that could-be the patch you give the winners to wear on their goggle-straps; you know old-school Pro patch from the 2000's.

It's been awhile since I've been to Apoc - I know.
Do they still have the old Speedball sandpit?
>>You could run, as a side event, the 1-on-1 in there while running the main event. It would-be: Race-2, 500-paint limit 1-minute Time-limit and then random seeding-draw for brackets.

Also, along those lines:
IF there was room, have you thought about reaching out to local Food Trucks or Restaurants to offer their services?
>>You wouldn't need four or five, just one or two places to pick-up a bite during the tournament. And you could say: Hey, we'll rent you the spot for 10% of your profits or 250 for the spot, which goes into the general fund to setup...Which if done correctly, they'll want to return more frequently. And you could reach-out to anyone of the vendors at the Madison Farmer's Market, just to research how far they're willing to travel; what they're looking for in a 'spot'.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:28 PM #18
BaconCHEEZBurger

If you want to bring apoc back and generate some interest to newer participants I've got quite a few ideas up my sleeve. I've reached out to Dave via Email and have yet to be responded too. I've been involved in pb since 2003 and have been sponsored. I'm willing to help run events/help. Pb has been on the decline for sometime now in the area

Ideas:
Couples tournament
-Rental only
-Hopper ball
-Prizes could be coupons to local restuarant and a movie. A date night type of thing. Get the restuarant on board for a discount. They'd receive publicity too, hell get a news crew at Apoc to film it. Massive exposure

Apoc weekend event
-Run a scavenger hunt (hide pods on fields with coupons for goggles, loaders, a bag of 500)
1v1 shootout event all day. Run it everytime 8 guys sign up. First place gets a case. Play it sudden death. 10$ buy in
Run a sniper competition. 1 ball and if you hit the target you stay in. Repeat until a winner. 5$ buy in winner gets 500 balls. Run all day.
Then Sunday run a 7man or 10 man throw together tournament.

Charge for weekend or just day passes. Even hold an auction to all participants for a brand new gun. Paid entry gets you one entry. I believe the turnout would be huge. The side events could pull in some $$$ as well.

Hit me up if you'd like help. I'm more than willing to help out regrow the sport.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:49 PM #19
stalker2005
~The Finisher~

plays in the NXL
Quote:
Thank you for responding to my questions!
Here is my response to:

Awards:
Instead of Trophies or Keep-sakes, what about:
Entry into Following Years Tournament - 1st: Free
>>Champion can attempt to defend
Assistance within entry fee-payment into a National event
>>And what if you're able to give the winning team, a patch or Icon they could display at the National Event...It is the: I am here because I won this Tournament award.
I like the first idea. The 2nd idea with entry assistance would be great if it were for a 5 man event. Hard to run a 3 man and help pay entry towards a national 5 man event. I will store this for our 5 man event later in the summer

Quote:
You mentioned your mission is:

If you're going for the community at large, what about:
Offering a discount for Paint by donating two-cans of Food to support your local food pantry?!?
>>Instead of 100, it is now 75 with two-cans.

Themes:
Tournament is always more memorable if there was a theme...
One of my favorite tournaments as a kid, was a swim-meet which was nothing more than various relays, but the best one was at the end: 8 guys doing 50 meters. Top three teams: Received a medal, but the real prize: Pineapples!

You guys being Klowns and it being Apoc; maybe: the traveling trophy or the overall trophy is a: Re-painted Garden Gnome? Then you could come-up with some catchy word-play for the tournament. And that could-be the patch you give the winners to wear on their goggle-straps; you know old-school Pro patch from the 2000's.
I like the patch idea and the traveling trophy/overall trophy and helping our local charities or programs in need of assistance!

Quote:
It's been awhile since I've been to Apoc - I know.
Do they still have the old Speedball sandpit?
>>You could run, as a side event, the 1-on-1 in there while running the main event. It would-be: Race-2, 500-paint limit 1-minute Time-limit and then random seeding-draw for brackets.
The speedball sandpit? I think you mean old hyperball up where you could see Hwy 51. That is no longer there it has been moved down the hill by airball now.

Quote:
Also, along those lines:
IF there was room, have you thought about reaching out to local Food Trucks or Restaurants to offer their services?
>>You wouldn't need four or five, just one or two places to pick-up a bite during the tournament. And you could say: Hey, we'll rent you the spot for 10% of your profits or 250 for the spot, which goes into the general fund to setup...Which if done correctly, they'll want to return more frequently. And you could reach-out to anyone of the vendors at the Madison Farmer's Market, just to research how far they're willing to travel; what they're looking for in a 'spot'.
We don't have the room at this time however, with our team workday that is something to bring up and clear area for when cutting down trees and such!
Old 03-07-2016, 10:52 PM #20
stalker2005
~The Finisher~

plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconCHEEZBurger View Post
If you want to bring apoc back and generate some interest to newer participants I've got quite a few ideas up my sleeve. I've reached out to Dave via Email and have yet to be responded too. I've been involved in pb since 2003 and have been sponsored. I'm willing to help run events/help. Pb has been on the decline for sometime now in the area

Ideas:
Couples tournament
-Rental only
-Hopper ball
-Prizes could be coupons to local restuarant and a movie. A date night type of thing. Get the restuarant on board for a discount. They'd receive publicity too, hell get a news crew at Apoc to film it. Massive exposure

Apoc weekend event
-Run a scavenger hunt (hide pods on fields with coupons for goggles, loaders, a bag of 500)
1v1 shootout event all day. Run it everytime 8 guys sign up. First place gets a case. Play it sudden death. 10$ buy in
Run a sniper competition. 1 ball and if you hit the target you stay in. Repeat until a winner. 5$ buy in winner gets 500 balls. Run all day.
Then Sunday run a 7man or 10 man throw together tournament.

Charge for weekend or just day passes. Even hold an auction to all participants for a brand new gun. Paid entry gets you one entry. I believe the turnout would be huge. The side events could pull in some $$$ as well.

Hit me up if you'd like help. I'm more than willing to help out regrow the sport.

You have a lot of good ideas. We will be up at apoc this Sunday and I would love to talk with you if your going to be there.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:48 AM #21
VanChuckStraw

Thought of a few more ideas, however, they're not Tournament specific. They're more of a: Getting Paintball & Your Team out into the community.
Now, that being said: I have no idea what the financial or resource impact would-be for your team. They're mainly just ideas or someone going pew-pew with concepts...

However, I dislike spewing ideas, without at-least; and just like the other gentleman; offering some form of assistance. Therefore, I would-be happy to figure out solutions or attempts at making any one of the ideas a reality...IE: Assisting in any means I am capable of.

And with that...
More Ideas: (I did bold items: to make it easier to find, not to yell)

Hosting a Clinic For:
Younger Players (Or Young Guns)
I acknowledge, this could-be a pain, but! helping the next generation out, while you're coaching them - could-be seen as: O look, they love the kids. Also, you could use it to scout out new players. It's the AC: Dallas concept.

Hosting a Professional Player Clinic
Now, does not have to a player from Dynasty - but! We could check with Nick (4leaf4life) about coming-in...he's in IL.
Or could we check with Luxe; about having someone they sponsor come in?

You could: Combine a Clinic with a Tournament.
Morning: Clinic
Afternoon: Tournament
And, you could "draft" teams: Say - Pro Player Vs. Team Khoatic

Also, another odd idea:
Take a Saturday and do: Walk-ons.
Specifically, go to Apoc - with your gear on and ask if you could Ref or help any of the walk on groups. And not just stand-watch, but walk with them through the fields - directing them: Okay shoot there or run here or duck!
And if two of you go: it's Five with Eric and Five with Brandon; then Eric Vs Brandon! It's a mini-scenario game. On-top of it: You've given a group of people a really good memory about paintball and your team and Apoc. And you would not have to do it all day: Just an hour or two.

Pod-Hunt is an awesome idea!
With Easter coming-up, thoughts for next year: Could you host a Pod-Hunt within the Spring-time combined with Clean-up details at Apoc to generate interest?
Pods would-be filled with similar items: Coupons for Free Admission or extra 500 rounds...Date with Tyler.
Your trooping through the forest, see trash: Pick-it up. See a Pod: Pick-it UP Chop a branch down, see a pod...
ReplyRegional Ups