Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-08-2011, 04:58 PM #1
Sake

Trying to decide...

Dual 8.1 pistols or one 9.1 rifle set up.

Either option would be my primary weapon.
Sake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2011, 07:57 PM #2
hmcl281

has been a member for 10 years
i went with dual 9.1 and afterwards found out my field does not allow dual markers.

good thing with the 9.1 is your can attach a tank to the back so if you want to play around with it as a pistol you do not need a 12 gram
Old 10-16-2011, 09:12 PM #3
Shovah

Annual Supporting Member
Shovah owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Shovah owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Depends on your play style and whether or not you want to run pure first strike rounds.

With regards to a tank options, you can either get the 13cuin/3000psi MATS tank (tank in the stock) or run a remote line to a bit larger of a tank.

I have a 9.1 FSR Which is absolutely awesome, I run nothing but first strikes and pride in the "one-shot-one-kill" style of gameplay. Running only 7-8 mags is tough, but such a great game style. Teachs ammo conservation, and picking your targets. Plus I keep my overall gear weight down.

If you prefer getting into someones face fast and light I'll suggest 2 T8.1's, good pistols but any break is detrimental to your overall performance. I never had luck withmy T8.1 though i did buy it used and it needed a lot of parts to make it work. More than the gun was worth
#13 and Captain for Calgary Cyanide
Calgary Cyanide is sponsored by Badlands and Planet Eclipse
Shovah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:55 PM #4
voodooaddict
Limited Paint Play Zealot

voodooaddict is a Supporting Member
Both are very different styles of play.

Before I can make a recommendation, I have to ask a few questions.

What's your current marker and play style? i.e. Do you hang out in the back laying down lots of cover fire? or Do you get as far up as possible, get into some tight bunkers?

Have you considered starting with a single pistol? and if so why not?

Do you plan to use First Strikes primarily? At all? (Does your field allow first strikes?)

How many extra magazines had you planned on buying?

Along with 9.1 or dual 8.1s... make a plan on how you are going to carry your gear and extra mags. I've spent almost as much on pouches, vests, belts, and holsters as I did on the markers to make it "perfect".

Personally, my primary is a dual pistol 9.1 and 8.1, setup using only first strikes. Flasc barrels and "mock" suppressors. Both with small red dot sights to make the most out of the first strikes. (Fixxer's Top Tac Rail on the 8.1 enabled use of a sight.)

My alternate/backup/last-year's setup was polished dual 8s using only paintballs.

-----

Not knowing anything more ... my personal recommendation for someone starting out with Tiberius.

Start with a single *new* 8.1 from a local shop. That way if there's any out of the box trouble you have a spot to go back to for assistance.

Based on lots of cash and experience spent on trial and error. Get the following for your "starter kit":

- Full Clip Belt/MOLLE Holster (Lefty available) - http://www.ansgear.com/ProductDetail...RMOLL ERBLACK
The holster is a low cost addition to your gear that will make pistol use a dream between games. The Full Clip has a clean draw, it's light weight, and flexible so as not to get in your way. The belt version is simpler, cheaper, lighter, and IMHO more versatile then the drop-leg. Try it first. If you "must have" a drop leg later, you can add a MOLLE drop leg panel and place the existing holster on it.

- 3 Additional Mags - http://www.ansgear.com/ProductDetail...MSFSMAGAZ INE
I'd recommend 3 additional mags for a total of 4. If you needed to cut back, then get an additional 2 mags for 3 total... just know that if/when you have a mag issue you'll be down to only 2 mags till you fix the issue.

- 2 Double Full Clip Mag holders. http://www.ansgear.com/ProductDetail...BDO UBLEBLACK
This gives you 4 mag pouches for your belt or MOLLE vest. You may think "I only need 3 for the 3 extra mags". It's nice to have an open mag slot to dump the empty into. You don't want to loose the pricey mags.

- Case of First Strikes - http://www.ansgear.com/ProductDetail...00CO UNTWHITE
First strikes fly differently then a typical paintball. You'll want to practice some in a "back yard" if possible. Or if you are lucky enough to have a Bring Your Own Paint field ... buying them by the 100 round case is the best way to go.

The above type of setup should run you around $400 total. It forgoes an expensive MOLLE vest/rig by using pouches and holsters that can work on a standard belt. If later you decide to pickup a MOLLE vest/rig, the existing holster and pouches will work.

This is by no means meant as: "I AM PISTOL GOD, DO AS I SAY EXACTLY OR SUFFER THE WRATH OF GETTING CALLED A nOOb".

Quite the opposite. This is just what I would start with if I had to do it over again from zero. ... Then add magazines, pouches, vest and maybe a 9.1 down the line.

-----------

If you are not going to use first strikes at all... and decide to go the pistol only route. Give a serious look to the TPX. It has matured into a nice pistol, past the initial problems. If you want lots and lots of magazines, the cost per mag does helps lower the total cost and weight considerably. (But you also need to find a way to add extra 12 grams to your rig).
+ too many ol' Shoebox Shockers for loaners.

Last edited by voodooaddict : 10-16-2011 at 11:50 PM.
voodooaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:40 PM #5
Tat76

Great info Voodoo.
I just ordered my first 8.1 along with a TM7 for my primary. As of now I'm using a 4+1 with remote so I think a thigh holster is in my future but not sure about pouch for clips..
Tat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:30 PM #6
voodooaddict
Limited Paint Play Zealot

voodooaddict is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat76 View Post
Great info Voodoo.
I just ordered my first 8.1 along with a TM7 for my primary. As of now I'm using a 4+1 with remote so I think a thigh holster is in my future but not sure about pouch for clips..
Very Cool. Hope they both treat you well.

I've guessing a MOLLE vest of some sort is in your future... so you can have pods and tank on your back, and holster with mag pouches on the front. In the mean time, if you want to do the drop leg thing, there's always these to put a few mag pouches onto: http://www.amazon.com/BT-MOLLE-Tacti.../dp/B001D0CUHW

If cost wasn't a factor I'd have a TM7 with SA-17 10 round spring feed to loan out for limited paint play. Always loved the flexible ergonomics of the TM7.
+ too many ol' Shoebox Shockers for loaners.
voodooaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:51 PM #7
Tat76

Your right, a vest is close and would have grabbed one on this order but not sure yet on the direction I want to go yet. At this point I want to see how things fit on me as I move with my primary TM7, then will decide on what vest and how I want to carry my equipment. Need to see how the T8.1 sits in size and if I could keep it higher on me then the leg. Really being 5' 4" its hard to carry on the leg right. I have less room to fit everything..
Tat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:34 PM #8
AnonOmus

one of each
AnonOmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:28 PM #9
robot0ninja

i feel like i started this thread. lol. i went through all of this. if you ever do decide to go completely pistol, make sure you have the right setup. i made the mistake of getting the 9.1 and a tippmann field pack. i was going to use my existing marker as my main and then have the 9.1 in the pack and take it out when i wanted to use first strike. well that lasted about one game because it was far too much weight and it was such a hassle to switch between 2.

ived used just the 9.1 as my main and i did not have the right set up because i had no mag holsters, so i had one in my left and one in my right pocket, one in my hand, and the one im shooting. dropped my mags many times and lost all the paint in them. i also had the tank in my pack, which is stupid because i used the tippmann back pack thing which put all the weight on your shoulders and back and non on the waist and i have a terrible back.

i finally gave up and screwed the tank in and put on the hopper adapter and put on my pod pack. mag fed sucked for me, so make sure its right before you invest
robot0ninja is offline   Reply With Quote