Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-25-2010, 11:40 AM #1
Iron-Clover

Vibe leaking from both qev's and noid?

Hey, I have a SP Vibe that I have had since january when I purchased it brand new. I have only used compressed air every time I play. In its life it has only had about 5 cases of paint go through it and cleaned thoroughly after every time being out. Last time I went to the field I set my marker up, and went over to the chrono range to test and make sure everything was in proper working order. After shooting off about 10-15 rounds my vibe began to his very very very loud, so I detached the tank since turning it off would not help. Since then I have taken everything apart to see if I can find anything wrong and where the leak is coming from. I have found out that the leak is actually coming out of 3 places, down the breach, where the qev's attach to the board, both of the qevs are constantly spewing air out of the opening to the breach, where they should, but as long as a tank is attached, it will not stop, and the third place is the pin hole opening on the back of the solenoid. After I first deduced where the air was coming from I figured it was a blown solenoid and since smart parts is out of buisness I purchased a new blackheart board since I was planning on upgrading to that in the near future as long as I could still find on. When The blackheart finally arrived it does the same exact thing.... The same 3 spots are leaking....

If anybody has any knowledge on what could be wrong or what I could do to fix this issue it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Iron-Clover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2010, 11:10 PM #2
justicexd
mowing faces since '83

Where were the leaks before you took it apart? Remember, if you take the bolt out and then put air on the gun it will leak down the inside of the breach through the banjo fittings on the board. With the bolt in the gun there is constant air pressure on the front and back of the bolt. When you pull the trigger on the gun the solenoid valve opens and then dumps the air in front of the bolt which causes the bolt to move forward.
If you have leaking down the barrel with the bolt in the gun then you need to check the orings for damage and then relube.
justicexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:09 PM #3
Iron-Clover

The leaking began while i had the marker fully assembled, while I was firing, and now whenever I test it to see if it is working yet after tinkering with it, I fully assemble the breach area. I thought at first that I may have played with the reg too high and blew the stock solenoid, but before I installed the blackheart I turned the reg pressure down to not even being open. After install I slowly turned the pressure back up and with just opening it a little bit the leaking continued, out of the first banjo into the breach, and it is not a slow leak, it is very quick, and very loud. The more I open the reg, the faster and louder the leak will get. So that is when I disassembled the breach, and realized that the second banjo behind the bolt is also leaking air, just as bad as the front one. Also since I didnt have the trigger frame bolted down I pulled it down a bit to make sure no other leaks, and there is no leak coming from the board or bottoms of the banjos their, it is just coming from the solenoid, on the top side, the pin hole opening on the top, pretty strong for their as well, and all these leaks happen with both of the boards.... the blackheart is brand new, and I have looked it over and my stock board over for bad orings.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:47 PM #4
justicexd
mowing faces since '83

Are the banjos leaking at the threads? If they are, make sure the orings are in place and make sure you didn't cross thread the banjos when installing.
For the record, the blackhearts have 1 qev and that's the fitting closest to the reg. Sometimes you have to take those apart to clean 'em.

If the gun is fully assemble (bolt installed) then you should not have any air coming from the breach unless you have a bad oring on the bolt, or a bad oring inside the breach behind the feedneck.

Also,I would take apart the reg and check for bad oring, relube, and install a new battery in the gun.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:59 PM #5
Iron-Clover

Nah, not at the threads, they are leaking out of the hole that they are supposed to put air out of, its like once I attach the tank, there is nothing holding back the air from going up the reg, through the solenoid, and then out of the banjos into the breach, both of them..... the higher i turn up the reg, the more will just pour out... I have taken apart the reg a couple times now to see if any o rings are bad and they all look to be in good working order. The banjo o rings that go to the breach both look fine as well. Do you think it could possibly be something with the reg since this happens with both of the different boards installed?

Sorry about calling them both qev's, i didnt know one was not called the qev.

Even with the marker turned off, or on, as soon as a tank is attatched it begins, like whatever is meant to hold the air pressure back like normal has blown...
Old 07-26-2010, 05:52 PM #6
justicexd
mowing faces since '83

I'm a little confused on the leaks at the banjo's. Do you have the bolt in the gun when you put air on it? When you take the bolt out and put air on the gun you will have air coming from both of the banjo's. Here's how the gun works, there is always pressure on the front and back banjos when you have air on the gun. The front banjo has a little more pressure than the back which cause the bolt to go back. The bolt stays there until you pull the trigger which opens the noid releasing the air on the front banjo and exhaust the air through the noid (or a qev/banjo if it's blackheart board). What I'm saying is, it's normal for air to come from both banjos. If you hear air going down the barrel when the bolt is in the gun then you have an oring problem on the bolt, or in the breach.

As far as the reg goes, if you took it apart, and then put it back together the same way then it should be fine.

Another thing you can do is take the noid of the gun and blow air from a compresser through each banjo to free up the noid if it's stuck. Usually the top of the noids are cracked on a blown noid. When you over pressurize the noid it will push the oring inside the noid out through the side cause the noid to crack.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:31 PM #7
Iron-Clover

Ahhh, thank you for the explanation, it helped me better understand how the marker functions as a hole and cleared up a bit where I was hazy myself.

So with my new knowledge, I will try to better explain. So where the banjo bolt attatches to the breach is not the leak itself. The leak is more along the lines of something internally as in either the solenoid or even in the regulator is not holding in the air pressure like it should. The leaking I am trying to describe is more of excess pressure then. With the constant pressure coming out of the banjos to the breach there is excess pressure, the higher I open the regulator, the more air flows out of the breach holes from the end of the banjo bolts where it is supposed to be coming out of. It is like something is not holding back the pressure as it should... Whether the bolt be in the gun or not, it leaks depending on what pressure I turn the regulator up to.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:06 PM #8
justicexd
mowing faces since '83

If you turn the reg up you will get more pressure. If you turn the reg up too much then it will bleed off through the reg. If your reg is putting out too much pressure the only way to check would be to put it on something with a gauge. You can use a remote line tank adapter with a gauge to test it. Or you could use an co2 fill station adapter with a gauge would work also.
You could probably rig something up for around 20$ using the fill station adapter and gauge.
You could also borrow a reg from somebody to test the gun if you think it's the reg.
I'm sorry I can't be more helpful...let me know what happens.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:50 PM #9
Iron-Clover

Right on. I am starting to think that something is getting stuck inside of the regulator so it is not holding back the air once it is opened up even just a little bit. Once the marker is gassed up, what is it that normally will hold the air in, as in is it held by the solenoid until the trigger is pulled? the regulator? I am almost thinking that it may be whatever that is for sure because once I open the reg, the air just pours out, like nothing is stopping it, or in its way like it should be. Basically, once I attatch the tank, the entire marker itself works as a release valve for the pressure of the tank because all the air and pressure from the tank is just bleeding out of the banjos like it should, but it will not stop unless I fully close the regulator off. And I dont know if I stated earlier, but my vibe wont fire either... if that helps at all... haha

And its okay, you did help a lot in my understanding of this marker better and how it works, and for that I am thankful. This problem has just been perplexing me for about the last 2 weeks... I havnt even found anywhere online that someone else has had this same problem at all.... I am most likely going to look at taking it to a pb shop within the next couple days if I cant figure anything out because I have rattled my brain to the point of no return with this one and it seems to be an unheard of symptom. Thank you for all your help justicexd
Old 12-18-2010, 09:41 PM #10
Freakshow0315

Freakshow0315 plays in the MiLP
Freakshow0315 is an NCPA player
Freakshow0315 plays in the APPA D4 division
Freakshow0315 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Iron-clover...

...I am having a similar problem. Did you use CO2 when it started leaking? A friend put CO2 on mine in the HPA setting and now it leaks out the grip frame. The problem I have traced to the noid. As far as the banjo fittings go...as I understand...air is supposed to come out of those when you have a tank hooked up and not bolt in the breach. The bolt is what keeps the air from escaping.

The problem, from other sources I am reading, seems to indicate that the solenoid o-ring, INSIDE the solenoig housing is where the problem can be. If CO2 is run through the gun in HPA dwell mode, it blows the o-ring off its seating.

What I am trying to find out is where the o-ring is supposed to be seated. Mine is currently at the base of the solenoid. Also, should it be lubed? Mine is bone dry.

"Can't stop, won't stop - gotta, gotta, gotta win!"
Freakshow0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:17 AM #11
Iron-Clover

Freakshow0315,
I have never used CO2 on my vibe, I wanted to only use HPA so that nothing would go wrong haha, but I guess I was mistaken. My vibe is currently still not working, and I do not believe will ever get fixed due to no Smart Parts. I took it to a local pro shop with a smart parts tech and he even had no idea what was wrong with it. Basically, there is no leak out of the grip frame for me. I know that there is supposed to be air coming out of the banjos into the breach constantly whenever the marker is gased up. The thing is, when I attach my tank I always have my reg turned all the way down so the solenoid doesnt get pressurized too fast (been doing this for a while, just to be safe). Then after the HPA tank is attached I slowly open the reg until the marker is at the right operating pressure. If I now try to do this, the air coming out of the banjos into the bolt gets to a higher rate for the more the reg is opened, to the point of a very loud hissing that is not normal at all, and the marker will not fire. Both of the banjos are leaking air at unbelievable amounts at the same time, so I believed it was the noid, but I have no way to tell for sure. One day while at my local field (SC Village) I was at the chrono range firing off a couple balls to make sure everything was running smoothly because we were all getting ready to play and just got set up. As I was firing, i heard a loud popping noise, and then the sound of air leaking very fast so I turned the marker off and that didnt do anything, so i detached my tank quickly and then the sound faded since there was no longer any pressure in the system. After disassembling and assembling the marker many times looking over all the orings and looking for tears in any tubing I could not find any leaks from anything. This is how I found out that it was coming from inside the breach, the banjos were just letting the air go... so its as if there is nothing holding the air back in the marker after it exits the regulator....

The solenoid o'ring huh? hhhmmmmm, I will have to look into that tomorrow when i have a spare second... as for the seating i have no clue... and I have never been able to find out where it should be at... i took apart my solenoid to see if anything looked out of place but it all looked okay to me... but I also dont have too much knowledge as to what it should look like in there... haha

and if i am guessing some lubing in there wouldnt hurt at all... I believe mine had some lube when I took it apart back in the day... (its been since august since I have touched my vibe because I could not figure it out at all....)
Old 12-22-2010, 11:28 AM #12
Freakshow0315

Okay...so I was able to confirm the o-ring goes at the base.

2 things you may want to check...one, the o-rings on the insides of the banjos if you haven't already. The other is the coin piece at the top of the noid. It should seat in firmly. You might try flipping it over and see what happens. Make sure it is clean too.

Worst case solution? G.O.G. paintball now has the contract and patent to produce the Vibe, under the new name eNVy. Check out their site and you may can order a new solenoid from them.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:00 AM #13
Iron-Clover

I will check the coin piece in the morning, havnt though of that.... the banjos are good still.

I am excited for GOG to produce the vibe, and hope that in a short while I will be able to buy a new solenoid because I think that may be what i need....
Old 12-27-2010, 10:43 PM #14
Freakshow0315

Sadly I am coming to that conclusion myself. I have replaced the o-ring in my noid housing, which seemed to be where the leak was coming from, and still have the problem. I think my noid may just be defective or fried.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:46 AM #15
Iron-Clover

Yeah, the weird thing about it all is, I bought the blackheart board after this happened so I could get a new noid at the time because of the lack of them on the market and installed it and it does the same thing. I may contact GOG and possibly just send in my vibe and see what they say can be done, or what can be fixed. If you talk to them and they say anything about costs could you let me know? I have been super busy recently so I have not been able to check into it yet.

Also, I finally got around to working on my vibe, took apart both noids, and tried to install them, along with trying out my stock bolt and my techt L7 bolt to see if there was any difference with any combination and it is all the same. The pancake disc in the solenoid is seated at the top of the solenoid, the oring is firmly around the base, and both the banjo's are screwed in nice and snug but not toooo tight. All orings look good, no tears and all are there. My best bet is to send it into GOG and let them have a crack, they should be able to do something..................
Old 01-03-2011, 10:06 PM #16
jrod330

I had similar problems when i got my blackheart board a few days ago. Check the hoses. If you can move them around they may not be sealed. The hoses used are heat shrunk so you will need to remove the parts you can from the board like the qev valve and heat the hose with a lighter or heat source some blow dyers spread too much air and dont get hot enough. Make sure it is heated in the position it will rest in on the board so your not twisting any hoses.
As far as the silinoid... It depends where it is leaking from. My brother had it leak around the seal but replaced the seal and couldnt fix it. I have emailed GOG about this problem and keep you updated on what they say.
Hope this helps!
jrod330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:12 AM #17
Iron-Clover

Ahhh, well I called GOG and they didnt have any straight answers so I am sending it to them and letting them fix it. It is already on its way....
Old 08-26-2011, 12:29 AM #18
Freakshow0315

Hey Iron-Clover - did they fix it? I put a new board and noid on mine and I thought it was fixed, but its doing the same kind of leaking again. How much did it cost to ship to GOG, what did they do, and did it work?

...please and thank you!

Old 11-10-2011, 04:29 PM #19
sl1980able

hey I had a similar problem I think I found the problem if you haven't fixed already. I to right after I installed the blackheart and techt bolt for the first time. Although I think this problem occured(atleast at the end of the day of playing).But problem was there right from start even from install. CHECK THE BACK SIDE OF THE BLACKHEART BOARD(MINE WAS MISSING THE BLACK O RING FROM THE REAR BANJO AND BANJO BOLT. I installed it with a missing o ring(didn't think anything of it. Just swapped boards my gun had massive drop off/bolt stick but ran ok about 1/4 of the performance. SO transfer all of the hard warde(o rings and rear bolt). That seem to fix mine I installed a QEV and checked again dry firing and checking for leaks. Ill let you know how everything turned out. I'm still pretty new to this gun
sl1980able is offline   Reply With Quote