Community Focus

Old 12-15-2013, 07:19 PM #442
Goballsdeep
Game On

Goballsdeep is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntball@ddict View Post
Hey everyone...

So I'm considering converting my 2x10 to a 1x10 (possibly 32T chainring) with 11-36 cassette. Anyone else try this and what were your thoughts? Right now my 2x is a 24/38 so a 32T should be the happy medium. I'm mainly looking to clear up clutter on the bars.
Unless you are doing xc racing, 1x10 will be more than enough for most trail riding. What type of riding do you do? I would also maybe look at getting a narrow/wide profile chainring and maybe a clutch derailleur depending on what you typically ride, just to keep your chain from dropping.
Goballsdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-20-2013, 01:09 AM #443
p8ntball@ddict
CT's bestest butt buddy.

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntball@ddict is a Moderator
p8ntball@ddict is a Supporting Member
p8ntball@ddict is playing at Living Legends V
p8ntball@ddict supports Team VICIOUS
p8ntball@ddict is a PbNation video producer
p8ntball@ddict supports our troops
p8ntball@ddict has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goballsdeep View Post
Unless you are doing xc racing, 1x10 will be more than enough for most trail riding. What type of riding do you do? I would also maybe look at getting a narrow/wide profile chainring and maybe a clutch derailleur depending on what you typically ride, just to keep your chain from dropping.
Thanks man. I do mostly xc type single track with some light AM. I'm more concerned with climbing than anything. Any experience with the narrow/wide chain ring? Would I need a chain guide? I've got an x9 rear der which should be enough. Maybe shorten the chain slightly?

tldr; provide links.
p8ntball@ddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:45 PM #444
Goballsdeep
Game On

Quote:
Thanks man. I do mostly xc type single track with some light AM. I'm more concerned with climbing than anything. Any experience with the narrow/wide chain ring? Would I need a chain guide? I've got an x9 rear der which should be enough. Maybe shorten the chain slightly?
It depends on how technical your trails are for both climbing and descending.
I feel that its a nice option to have, and really isn't too much more if you are already upgrading your drivetrain. Do you know if you have the type-2 or clutch version of the x9? That combined with a narrow/wide profile ring will work as good as any chainguide. My buddy rode his AM bike with that setup at whistler during Crankworx(he blew his front forks on his downhill bike, and getting them serviced was next to impossible if he wasn't there for race support) and he had no issues, even with the trails being absolutely blown apart. As for chain tension, SRAM has possibly the best video tutorial on how to do it. You have to be careful because too much tension can prematurely wear/ break your drivetrain or cause it to ghost shift.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:13 PM #445
Believe
FlognaW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OA paintball View Post
my new toy. first to go is the 25t for a 28t. then maybe gyro. i dont wanna make it a money pit though!

Why gyro when you cant even bar/whip
Old 12-28-2013, 08:55 PM #446
Vegard
LOST

Vegard is a Supporting Member
Vegard is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Vegard is Boss
Quote:
Not, slightly; alot.

If you don't have a clutch the Shimano Zee carries a cheap pricetag. As for the chainring I've been riding XX1 since the release and I've never dropped a chain (no guide). I run Race Face narrow/wide rings on my two other bikes, an AM hardtail and a fatbike.

With a One-Up 42t rear cog on a 11-36 cassette you could even mimic XX1 range. If not you really need to ponder about the chainring you choose. On my AM I run 32 front with 11-42 at the back, but on my XC/Trail/Climbing bike I use a 36 front and 11-42 on the rear.
-growing older is mandatory – growing up is optional-
FS SFL 2009 FS

Last edited by Vegard : 12-28-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Vegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:25 AM #447
Believe
FlognaW

Hey does anyone in here spin to their rear foot rather to their front foot? I'm legally blind in my right eye, but I ride right foot forward, and it's nearly impossible for me to spin right due to no vision that way. If anyone spins, for example, left, and they are right foot forward, or spin right, and they are left foot forward. Can you give me any tips?
Old 02-02-2014, 10:20 AM #448
I OWN ALL
wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Believe View Post
Hey does anyone in here spin to their rear foot rather to their front foot? I'm legally blind in my right eye, but I ride right foot forward, and it's nearly impossible for me to spin right due to no vision that way. If anyone spins, for example, left, and they are right foot forward, or spin right, and they are left foot forward. Can you give me any tips?
Just practice. I rode right foot forward and can't help but spin to the left just took a ton of practice

edit* ah crap"
I OWN ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:03 AM #449
Vegard
LOST

Vegard is Boss
I bought a set of bike grips on ebay, paid in Australian dollars to a place in Taiwan. Parcel was shipped from Germany by a guy named Igor.
FS SFL 2009 FS
Old 03-06-2014, 09:16 AM #450
I OWN ALL
wtf

Sounds legit

edit* ah crap"
I OWN ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:54 AM #451
Cima2oo3
USAF 2W051

Hey I'm looking to get into mountain biking and am looking for a bike. I want full suspension, hydraulic brakes, and a 29er. Budget is around $1000 but I am flexible on that. Recommend me something please.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:43 AM #452
starscream0
A hero aint nothing but a

I recommend that you increase your budget
Old 03-09-2014, 08:02 AM #453
Cima2oo3
USAF 2W051

Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream0 View Post
I recommend that you increase your budget
Okay, what would I be reasonably looking at? Also good brands to consider?
Old 03-09-2014, 10:54 AM #454
starscream0
A hero aint nothing but a

There's all kinds of opinions you can get on here (or anywhere for that matter) on what way to go. The two major routes you can take are to buy a complete bike or to piece a bike together with different components.

As far as a particular brand goes, same deal, you'll get all kinds of different opinions. As for myself, I love Trek stuff. Some people will swear by Specialized. It all depends on preference.

The best piece of advice I think anyone can give about getting into "serious" biking (IE, more than just commuting around) is to go to your local bike shop and try stuff out. There's really no substitute for talking to someone in person who knows the area that you'll be riding in and has some experience in fitting people to bikes. Usually if a local shop is worth a damn, they allow you to trial the bikes as well.
That's my suggestion, just get out to some local shops and see whats out there and try some different things out until you find what you like.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:54 PM #455
Punks_Not_Dead77
Your Droog and Leader

Annual Supporting Member
Punks_Not_Dead77 supports Team VICIOUS
Punks_Not_Dead77 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Punks_Not_Dead77 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Punks_Not_Dead77 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Punks_Not_Dead77 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Punks_Not_Dead77 supports DLX Technology
I'm really starting to miss my bike Sheena was a good whip and took it hard without a single complaint.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:55 PM #456
p8ntball@ddict
CT's bestest butt buddy.

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntball@ddict is a Moderator
p8ntball@ddict is a Supporting Member
p8ntball@ddict is playing at Living Legends V
p8ntball@ddict supports Team VICIOUS
p8ntball@ddict is a PbNation video producer
p8ntball@ddict supports our troops
p8ntball@ddict has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cima2oo3 View Post
Hey I'm looking to get into mountain biking and am looking for a bike. I want full suspension, hydraulic brakes, and a 29er. Budget is around $1000 but I am flexible on that. Recommend me something please.
New or used? You're going to have a hard time finding those specs with your budget. Id check craigslist and see what local deals you can find. You can get a nice hardtail for that price. You dead set on full suspension?

tldr; provide links.
p8ntball@ddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:50 PM #457
Goballsdeep
Game On

Look into a giant trance 27.5. I believe the entry level bike in that series is about 1500. Spending the extra would save you money in the long run, the bike would last longer and be able to keep up with you as your skills develop.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:43 AM #458
Cima2oo3
USAF 2W051

Well I doubled the budget after doing more research and got a Trek Fuel EX 5. Everything I wanted. Now I just need to find some trails out here in Korea.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:05 PM #459
Vegard
LOST

Vegard is Boss
Neat bike, but depending on your weight the 32mm stanchions on the fork might feel noodly to you.
FS SFL 2009 FS