Old 11-04-2011, 11:43 AM #22
ACMan43
FAT GUYS RULE

ACMan43 is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
ACMan43 plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 Productions
I can not comment on what Deimus85 says about not expecting to win, everyone should go out there with the mindset to win no matter what your ranking is. But I will agree with him on that you can not compare local walk ons to a GPL/MAPL Event. We are the next level of compeition between the National Level (PSP,NPPL) and local events held at your local field. Its like playing baseball for fun at your local field, the Minor Leagues of baseball and the Major League of baseball. We, like CFOA, NEPL and a few others, are the Minor League. And yes, any pro, any top level PSP and NPPL team from past and present will tell you that the only way to get better is play better ranked teams. In the past, as few of the guys on here can chime in and agree, you use to play teams outside of your division all the time. Rookie teams would play 8 games. Usually consisted of 1 pro, 1 D1 (aka Amateur), a few D2 teams (aka Novice) and the rest D3 teams (aka Rookie). Times changed and then since made it that you play within your division. D5 player rankings are set resonably. And majority of the players move from D5 to D4 pretty fast consistantly. That is why alot of event mix the two together because you move from D5 to D4 after a few events. In regards to the points system, that is out of my control. I do not create the player unified system. I do know for a fact that the guys who run it, Joe and Chris, do read this forum section. So they do see your concerns. But this system has been built after many and many of years of experience players and tried and tested points system.

Trust me, I wish I had all the answers and I wish I had all the power to make everyone happy. All I can suggest is keep doing what you are doing. Look at teams like Illuminati, Brooklyn Kos, Freedom, Clutch, and so on, event the teams who play in the D3 bracket. Most of these guys on these teams, I have known for a few years. Some have come from other teams, some I knew from our own field in the past, some I have known because they asked 1001 questions before they played the GPL/MAPL. But I will tell you that they ALL started EXACTLY where you are right now. They have ALL been there. Demius85 was there. And everyone has to start somewhere. You will get there, I promise you. Just have faith and keep getting to the grind. Do not let this discourage you in anyway. It WILL pay off.

I totally agree, after being on many teams and playing in the GPLMAPL for ten+ years it did pay off. Our kids team has made hugh strides this year playing the whole season. Yes they are taking a beating at time but they understand to get better they have to play better. I put them in the 3man for experience and by the end of the season they were begging to play 5man. Back when I started playing we played everyone from the Pros down. If you beat a Pro team that was bragging rights. The APPA system is still relatively new since they re-did it a couple years ago and the players are finally starting to end up in the division they belong.
OOMPA #43
FREEDOM

Powered/Sponsored By: OXCC
Supports the MAPL
ACMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:06 PM #23
BlackMagic2638
-Mikey2Shot-

BlackMagic2638 plays in the USPL
BlackMagic2638 plays in the PSP
BlackMagic2638 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Bring back 10 man!
BlackMagic2638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:54 PM #24
Glasswurks@verizon.n

Just throwin this out there, but what about running and open division instead of D2/3 or in addition to the current way the divisions are run. I think it would draw more teams as well as giving players/teams more options plus the ability for higher ranked D1 players to still compete in a great regional series. Either way this is the best regional series around and we the players want to see it continue to grow

Support MAPL
Glasswurks@verizon.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:34 PM #25
GOMFW

GOMFW owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 Productions

This is in NO WAY bashing the NPPL or their system however, this is the current problem. There is no real true publicized ranking system or for that matter, unified system with the NPPL. We currently go by APPA. That is as national as we can make it. They handle the PSP rankings. So if a player plays D3 in PSP (and is ranked D3), then he/she can NOT play GPL/MAPL D4/D5. That is as close as we can make it. Yes, in the one season NPPL (aka USPL) used APPA, it was recognized, but since then, there is no official way to prove or even disprove a player in the NPPL System. You cant go by photos, players wear other players jersyes all the time. You can only go by the hearsay, and we can not take that word. ONE DAY, ONE DAY Im hoping that this will all eventually level out and have a true unified system within the sport. Until then, we are going with the APPA which does recognise one side of the players ranking system. It is the best that I can offer to you guys the players.

Also keep in mind, any other event/series that uses rankings, they do the same thing, especially those who use the APPA system. It is not just myself.
The updating of the rule book to clarify this is what I was stating need to be done. I personally don't care if you don't recognize NPPL rankings. Most of us know who has played NPPL and what level they played at and it has nothing to do with a jersey or hearsay.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:38 AM #26
Deimus85
Playground Legend

Deimus85 is a Supporting Member
Deimus85 plays in the PSP
Deimus85 is an NCPA National Champion
Deimus85 is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOMFW View Post
The updating of the rule book to clarify this is what I was stating need to be done. I personally don't care if you don't recognize NPPL rankings. Most of us know who has played NPPL and what level they played at and it has nothing to do with a jersey or hearsay.
Just "knowing" is heresay. If you can bring actual, tangible proof to your claim of someone's ranking, that would be legitimate. That is the only fair way. Your "knowing" could very well be a mistake. There are plenty of double names out there...hell, I even found another Michael Zapantis out there.

Good luck getting someone's ID card, or some sort of backed up piece of paper from the NPPL.

It is what it is. If you have a problem with it, it really isn't the GPL or APPA's fault. Post in the NPPL forum about this...but good luck hearing anything back from anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasswurks@verizon.n View Post
Just throwin this out there, but what about running and open division instead of D2/3 or in addition to the current way the divisions are run. I think it would draw more teams as well as giving players/teams more options plus the ability for higher ranked D1 players to still compete in a great regional series. Either way this is the best regional series around and we the players want to see it continue to grow
I wouldn't have so much of a problem with this, considering the D2/D3 pretty much is already a very open division, with players competing in it who have played from Semi-Pro all the way down to D3.

What I do think, however, for the sake of it being a local tournament series, the disparity between the current D4/D5 division would be exponentially increased if what is proposed by you would actually occur. This, in my humble opinion, would actually be counter-productive towards the leagues growth. Essentially, teams like Freedom who bumped up at the last event would be scared to do so for the sake of getting walloped by some Pros who are trying to earn a quick buck. Granted, you are never guaranteed a tournament win, but the odds are for the more experienced teams.

If what we want to achieve is some semblance of a feeder series to national level paintball, we need to restrict the divisions to D2 ranked players and below.

Playground Legends/Fast Five/Drexel University NCPA Alumni/Bulldogs Athens Millennium/Washington Winstons
Feedback

Last edited by Deimus85 : 11-05-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Deimus85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:49 AM #27
357 Productions
www.gisportz.com

357 Productions is a Supporting Member
357 Productions owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOMFW View Post
We are in the off season now and it will be updated for 2012
357 Productions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:53 AM #28
357 Productions
www.gisportz.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimus85 View Post
I wouldn't have so much of a problem with this, considering the D2/D3 pretty much is already a very open division, with players competing in it who have played from Semi-Pro all the way down to D3.

What I do think, however, for the sake of it being a local tournament series, the disparity between the current D4/D5 division would be exponentially increased if what is proposed by you would actually occur. This, in my humble opinion, would actually be counter-productive towards the leagues growth. Essentially, teams like Freedom who bumped up at the last event would be scared to do so for the sake of getting walloped by some Pros who are trying to earn a quick buck. Granted, you are never guaranteed a tournament win, but the odds are for the more experienced teams.

If what we want to achieve is some semblance of a feeder series to national level paintball, we need to restrict the divisions to D2 ranked players and below.
Thank you Deimus. We have tried to see if there was a demand for an Open division seperate from the D2/3 and D4/5 but there is no demand for it. With the already large amount of events between the NPPL and the PSP. The only thing we can do is abide by the APPA rankings and go from there.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:28 PM #29
ldpb12
Team Rocket Power

ldpb12 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ldpb12 plays in the APPA beginner division
In my opinion the Scheduling of the Brackets needs to be more thoroughly looked at before setting teams up in pools. Although i see this is not a problem for some more developed teams such as; Kurupt, Take Notes, Philly Turf Junkies, etc... The other teams that are newer to the sport and are trying to get a start in their paintball career shouldn't be put in a pool with those teams stated above along with other teams that are exceptionally good. It ruins paintball for newer players if they get blown out of the water by their pool and does nothing but discourage newer players from competing. Gotta think about the future players and not just the titans of the division now.

This is just my Honest opinion on it and the feedback ive gotten from a good amount of players throughout the 2011 season.

Team Rocket Power
ldpb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:08 PM #30
357 Productions
www.gisportz.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldpb12 View Post
In my opinion the Scheduling of the Brackets needs to be more thoroughly looked at before setting teams up in pools. Although i see this is not a problem for some more developed teams such as; Kurupt, Take Notes, Philly Turf Junkies, etc... The other teams that are newer to the sport and are trying to get a start in their paintball career shouldn't be put in a pool with those teams stated above along with other teams that are exceptionally good. It ruins paintball for newer players if they get blown out of the water by their pool and does nothing but discourage newer players from competing. Gotta think about the future players and not just the titans of the division now.

This is just my Honest opinion on it and the feedback ive gotten from a good amount of players throughout the 2011 season.
Brackets are randomly done by rankings. We have no control where people drop. Newer teams are then placed in after the current standing teams are placed based on alphbetics. ALSO, I dont know new teams and their true playing ability.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:17 PM #31
ldpb12
Team Rocket Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 Productions View Post
Brackets are randomly done by rankings. We have no control where people drop. Newer teams are then placed in after the current standing teams are placed based on alphbetics. ALSO, I dont know new teams and their true playing ability.
Im speaking on records. If a team that has no record with their APPA id they shouldnt be put against teams that have sufficient records. Thats all im saying.

Team Rocket Power
Old 11-05-2011, 03:30 PM #32
357 Productions
www.gisportz.com

Quote:
Im speaking on records. If a team that has no record with their APPA id they shouldnt be put against teams that have sufficient records. Thats all im saying.
What if a team has no APPA record but find out they have been playing NPPL hense why no APPA ranking and spanking people there? There is no way to know someones playing abilities from looking at their APPA Rankings.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:37 PM #33
ldpb12
Team Rocket Power

well im saying its a start and yes thats a problem that needs addressed aswell. I see where your coming from and was just giving my point of view on the subject.

Team Rocket Power
Old 11-05-2011, 03:41 PM #34
357 Productions
www.gisportz.com

Quote:
well im saying its a start and yes thats a problem that needs addressed aswell. I see where your coming from and was just giving my point of view on the subject.
I appreciate it, trust me I do. I just wanted to show you my end. I know it is tough to go out there and have to play the top teams, and i wish there was an easy answer to it. Anything I can do to make life easier on everyone is my goal.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:33 AM #35
ACMan43
FAT GUYS RULE

ACMan43 is a founding member
ACMan43 plays in the PSP
[/quote]

If what we want to achieve is some semblance of a feeder series to national level paintball, we need to restrict the divisions to D2 ranked players and below.[/quote]

I just want to respond to the part of the quote about Freedom, this team knew at the end of the season we would be moving up. Being scare wouldnt even be a factor since half this team played back in the day when you played everyone from Pro down to Rookies. Freedom was a new team of old and young players this year. Yes some of us have played forever and some haven't but we understand to get better you have to play better teams. Taking your lumps when your just starting out or moving up a division is part of the sport. Getting walloped is what you use to learn and get better. I agree with some of what is being said in this thread but it is up to us as players to maybe see these teams that are taking a beating and maybe help them out. These division used to be worse where the top teams won several years in a row and the teams in the middle and bottom never had a chance. Now teams that have put in the time and the enegry are finally getting a chance to be at the top. THese younger teams need to learn from that and realize it takes hard work to be at the top. Yes the MAPL/GPL has some very good competition but there are plenty of other tournaments that the competition isn't as tough. It just my opinion from someone that has play for a long time and seen alot of good and bad with this sport.
OOMPA #43
FREEDOM

Powered/Sponsored By: OXCC
Supports the MAPL
ACMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:44 PM #36
fatboy6969
LULZ:its wat i do things4

fatboy6969 plays in the APPA D4 division
A shorter version of that is: No one on Freedom is afraid of taking an ***-whoopin' and we damn sure aren't afraid of giving them out (or failing while trying our best to do so haha). Insulted is too strong of a word for how I feel about that statement, but I can't think of any other words to describe it. It's definitely not true and I personally have no problem with an open class. I have a few friends in higher divisions that I've played against every chance I got.
fatboy6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:08 AM #37
yanks914
Toomey.

yanks914 plays in the PSP
yanks914 donated to help Peyton Trent
yanks914 plays in the APPA D3 division
To whoever was mentioned that scheduling needs to be changed so new teams don't play higher ranked teams this is what I have to say.

This is exactly how every sport anywhere make their schedules for tournaments/playoffs. The team who has worked the hardest to earn a number one seed is always given the"easy" road to the finals. A prime example is NCAA March Madness. The 1 seeds always play the 16th, then the 8th, then the 4th, then the 2nd before even seeing another number 1 seed. And just because it is set up like this does not mean that they are going to the finals. More often then not this is the case.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:33 AM #38
Deimus85
Playground Legend

Deimus85 is a Supporting Member
Deimus85 plays in the PSP
Deimus85 is an NCPA National Champion
Deimus85 is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy6969 View Post
A shorter version of that is: No one on Freedom is afraid of taking an ***-whoopin' and we damn sure aren't afraid of giving them out (or failing while trying our best to do so haha). Insulted is too strong of a word for how I feel about that statement, but I can't think of any other words to describe it. It's definitely not true and I personally have no problem with an open class. I have a few friends in higher divisions that I've played against every chance I got.
I did not mean to offend anyone with my statement, it was just a real-world example. You guys play with a lot of heart and I definitely see a bright future for your team. However, you bumped up to the D2/D3 division at Event 5 and placed 6th out of 7 teams. Imagine that placement in an open division.

Playground Legends/Fast Five/Drexel University NCPA Alumni/Bulldogs Athens Millennium/Washington Winstons
Feedback
Deimus85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:51 AM #39
Image rkelly
The comeback.....

Image rkelly owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Image rkelly is for the Gunfight
Voted......

SUPAFLY headbands voted the best by everyone who owens one...PM me for info

SUPAFLY headbands...get one for your dome piece..pm me
Image rkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:26 AM #40
ACB.AFAM
Is that you John Wayne?

Annual Supporting Member
ACB.AFAM is BST Trusted
ACB.AFAM owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ACB.AFAM supports Pev's Paintball
ACB.AFAM plays in the APPA beginner division
ACB.AFAM has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Voted!
SL68
"If you need parts for a gen 4 Timmy, MSG Andy!"
ACB.AFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:08 PM #41
fatboy6969
LULZ:its wat i do things4

fatboy6969 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimus85 View Post
I did not mean to offend anyone with my statement, it was just a real-world example. You guys play with a lot of heart and I definitely see a bright future for your team. However, you bumped up to the D2/D3 division at Event 5 and placed 6th out of 7 teams. Imagine that placement in an open division.
I understand and I have no hard feelings or anything. It is what it is, we won only one of our matches but we still have every intention of playing above the D4 level next year, whatever level that may be. Just because we're placing low doesn't mean we aren't learning and having fun which, for me at least, are the two things that differentiate a good day vs a bad one. Again, I'm not upset or anything and I see where you're coming from. Just wanted to clear up the fact that there's no hard feelings and that we're willing to play anyone as long as we're having fun.
fatboy6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:01 PM #42
DelawarePBguy
Right Coast Paintball

DelawarePBguy plays in the USPL
DelawarePBguy plays in the PSP
DelawarePBguy donated to help Peyton Trent
DelawarePBguy plays in the APPA D3 division
I would be fine with open or how it is now... but i do think to keep D2/3 strong you must enforce that the top 3-5 top ranked teams by the end of last season in d4/5 to move up. This will add depth to the d2/3 division and also open up the d4/5 for new up and coming teams to get a taste of success which is whats needed for players to stay interested in competing at tournaments.