Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-10-2011, 02:12 PM #22
PaintedSaint
lsdpsilocybinmarijuanadmt

Giving up the lighting information, and sequencing in typed form like that is admirable due to the complexity of computing numbers to numbers; these paragraphs are immensely (and will be in the future) helpful to those who work with this kind of narrative/fabricated concept. They are good example of cause and effect, and for that I enjoy reading it.

I also feel the bits of emotion you share for why you set up the light, or positioned the camera a certain way is also beneficial for those of us focusing on the effect of a shot rather than the technicalities of it.

Glad you've got this thread up and rolling! Love your shots and processing, im very interested to see where you go in your work and where you end up. Lots of talent in this thread.
blog.
PaintedSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2011, 04:44 AM #23
D:< @ DYNASTY
so pitted.

has been a member for 10 years
D:< @ DYNASTY posts videos on PbNation
Sorry for not having any updates recently. I've been in a really productive mood lately and had planned on putting up a bunch of photos and videos but alas my mac has acquired a kernal problem and is essentially useless. But, I have been shooting quite a bit. I had a nice lil gig that got me some money to put away for a trip. I should be heading to San Fransisco after Christmas.

I am also shooting my Lighting II final this week which will be rad. I will be shooting it on the Arri SR-2 that I am prepping tomorrow. I will make sure to post some pics and lighting diagrams as soon as things start to get real.

Here are some random digi pics from the summer.

01' Billy Wing Ironmen + 02' Mark Knop Avalanche jerseys.
2004 Prototype JT Team pants.
Rare flex parts - Celtic, Black Techno + more.
Shocker, Intimidator, 98 Custom.

"there is a property in the horizon which no man has but he whose eye can integrate all the parts"
D:< @ DYNASTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:53 AM #24
IplayforRelentless
Quit changing my avatar!

IplayforRelentless is BST Trusted
IplayforRelentless is a Paintball photographer
IplayforRelentless supports our troops
IplayforRelentless is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
IplayforRelentless is attending Decay of Nations VI
Last one has a really rustic/WWII baseball era feel. Might be from the gentleman looking like an older person or that it's The Friendly Confines. Either way, really diggin' it, man.
"Originally posted by -|2ain: Ima kill Dieing to live when he gets back! THEY MADE ME DO A RECTAL EXAM!!!! A ****ING RECTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!"
"Originally posted by tremis: I love the self righteousness of the photographers with the claim that they "created" a photograph. Delusional at all? The law may ignorantly side with the photographer, but the subject has done the vast majority of the work and they dont get any credit/royalties."
I take hipster photos on Instagram - @hobbesthetiger
NJ Devils MN Wild MN Twins Chi Cubs IA Hawkeyes
IplayforRelentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:44 AM #25
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

Yeah it def doesn't have that new era baseball feel....which is awesome like dave said
Cmizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:30 PM #26
PbLoSeR05
CodyB

PbLoSeR05 is a Paintball photographer
PbLoSeR05 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
PbLoSeR05 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark6428 View Post
I rather like write ups and explanations. It's nice to hear the artist explain a little of the process rather than trying to decipher the shot myself. Not only do I appreciate the image and the hard work of making the shot more, I can file the info away to perhaps use later for myself.
This.

Plus, I like how much you go in to detail with your lighting, since lighting is the biggest thing I need to learn about.

Houston Heat
PhotoMOB
PbLoSeR05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:28 PM #27
enviousjohn

enviousjohn owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
enviousjohn posts videos on PbNation
enviousjohn is reppin' sidebar 4 life
enviousjohn has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Cinematography is incredibly intimidating. I've written some shorts and have the ideas, but I'm nervous about the cinema aspect of it. It's a lot of information coming at you from all angles.

I love your stuff. How would you recommend diving in?
enviousjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:50 PM #28
so pitted.

How would I recommend diving in? I guess by diving in haha. Shoot some shorts. Look at them honestly and be your harshest critic. Your question is rather vague, what do you want to jump into? Learning the technicalities or getting in the business?

Technicalities: There are a ton of books out there with a wealth of knowledge about cameras, lighting and grip equipment. I can share a few with you after I get back from a shoot this weekend. You can pick them up from amazon pretty cheap. Of course the best way to learn is to shoot and mess up. As an assignment you could pick a scene from a movie and try to emulate the look of the scene through lighting and camera. Be patient and try hard. Then look at it. It might look like crap but no biggie, compare it to the original and figure out why it isnt as good or how you want it to be. I dunno, just an idea to try out.

Business: I dunno, most of anything I've done for money has been boring freelance stuff that Ive acquired through references and friends of friends. I try to do my best on the projects and make them unique for my sanity sake and to show that I am a creative mind (within boundaries) to keep customers. In terms of DPing projects, gotta start at the bottom before you can call the shots. Filmmaking is expensive, you have to prove yourself before people will spend money on you to shoot their important projects.

"there is a property in the horizon which no man has but he whose eye can integrate all the parts"
Old 12-09-2011, 11:37 AM #29
so pitted.

Borrowing a friends imac for a week to finish some work.
Speaking of work, I should have been doing that yesterday but I would have rather done this. Sang a song, shot some stuff.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:56 PM #30
so pitted.

Paper Negative

Old 12-26-2011, 11:48 PM #31
so pitted.

I've been in St. Louis for the past week - going nuts. I don't even understand it. Anyways, to pass the time I have been catching up with some films I had been meaning to watch: most notebly Black Narcissus and The Red Shoes. Both photographed by Jack Cardiff.

The Red shoes was a beautifully tragic story. The story, music, cinematography and, of course, dancing are brilliant. For those who can't get through older movies I still suggest watching the major dance segment. It's amazingly poetic and engaging, even by today's standards. Hell, it's a 20+ minute segment of dancing (no dialogue) in the middle of a very narrative film - mindblowing.

Much of what I had been doing in lighting this past semester was primarily inspired by how I interpret light to be in real life. Through my photographs, among others, I tried to recreate what I see in the world everyday. While I very much like that approach and found naturalistic lighting to be a great way to help me understand light it (I still have plenty to learn), it is NOT the only way to light. I have become more and more open to the idea of a more theatrical style of lighting. After all, watching a film involves submitting yourself into this world that someone else has created, there is the "suspension of belief" that allows people to take risks artistically. Lighting naturalistically is "safe" - people wont object to things looking normal. While everything is relevent to the story and director I would like to start taking more risks. Why talk about this? Because as I left the semester behind with these feelings starting to grow I finally watched Black Narcissus last night. The lighting and composition in any good film tells a story, some more subdued than others. Black Narcissus is bold and theatrical (while still being tasteful), really showing how the characters are feeling. You can see the progression of Sister Ruth as she begins to lose it. Enough blabber - pictures!

Screen shots sourced from:
http://evanerichards.com/2010/935

Old 12-27-2011, 02:53 PM #32
so pitted.

And in other news I finally bought my light meter
It is a Spectra Cine Professional IV-A.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc... Digital.html

I hated borrowing other peoples' meters and especially hated trying to "meter" with my 5D. It's going to be super awesome to have my own meter for medium format and large format work, especially now that I can get a better grip on the paper negatives - I can meter for 3asa instead of guessing . It will also be rad because I'll be able to do my own lighting tests and make more notes. I can actually take readings of daylight to see the falloff in a room and exactly how much brighter/darker certain areas are. From there I can better recreate it.

I'm super excited. The thing goes down to like 0.1 footcandles, which will be so much more accurate on the low end than the old sekonics I have been using.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:30 PM #33
fainerbainer
CK

fainerbainer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
i've been thinking of a light meter now that I'm trying to do more strobes with outdoor work. Stinks to say, "I'm going to take 5 shots to test the lighting here" when I could guess the strobe once, fire, take a reading and then just adjust the camera once. However, I'm getting a little more deliberate in just getting to the spot and focusing on how to take the picture I want in 1-2 shots and then moving on.
fainerbainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:16 PM #34
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
mmm chicago
My Instagram
ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:10 AM #35
so pitted.

still fighting the format

Old 02-20-2012, 01:54 AM #36
so pitted.

state of mind
(if you could watch it on vimeo in HD it will look nicer.)

Sorry I havent been around much. Im shooting 5 films for my special studies class. Im shooting 2 for visual effects. Plus other workload for classes like photos/analysis/studying.

Ill try to post up some of the preproduction work for my upcoming dream sequence... it is going to be super awesome. Im taking my artistic sentiments where I want to be.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:41 AM #37
bcfan25
whatever.

bcfan25 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Always been a fan of your works from the first paintball video you made that I saw and you've introduced me to the world of the more artistic side of film and photography. I myself would like to get into film more so than I am right now as well as branch into photography once I get a solid job and have the funds to do so. Keep up the good work man.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:32 PM #38
so pitted.

Thanks!

Random update.

So I shot my dream film this past weekend. Ill post a few more pictures of it later. I can show some of the prep that went into it if people are interested.

this is just a quick picture with my 5D of one of the shots.

taylor loading up a new magazine.

I was asked to be gaffer (light) my friend's film this past wednesday. The setting was a beautiful church. I was kinda brought on at the last moment and didnt get to see the location before hand or help with the selection of lights. I would say we didn't have the right equipment but I kinda made do with what we had and set to "painting" the church with shimmers of light. Some light on the pillars, the pews, maybe through some stain glass or on the altar. It was just a few small lights and one larger one.

I will post up somemore of these later as well.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:39 PM #39
so pitted.

More random.

So I have been super busy with classes this semester but I am in a very good place. I haven't felt this good since early in the program when we were making films for ourselves. In the school between then and now I have learned alot of technical and practical things for shooting but I feel as though I had lost some of my artistic drive. It seems to momentarily be back.

Anyway, I developed some old photos from last summer and they aren't anything amazing, but they make me smile. I miss shooting 35mm on the level I once was.

and another paper negative... this one a bit more recent.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:08 PM #40
K.Y.L.E
alaskan kitten.

K.Y.L.E has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
K.Y.L.E has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
K.Y.L.E has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Holy slow load time, Batman!
Old 03-14-2012, 08:14 PM #41
so pitted.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:50 AM #42
so pitted.

another of my dad

+ feelin natural

Last edited by D:< @ DYNASTY : 03-16-2012 at 01:04 AM.