Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2011, 06:08 PM #1
wavesport001
 
 
wavesport001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The River
Question Ghosts?

Since it's Halloween and all, how do you guys feel about ghosts? Has anyone seen a ghost? It seems like ghosts are getting alot of coverage on TV lately, with all these scientific shows investigating the paranormal. What do you guys think?
__________________
"It is always better to have no ideas than false ones; to believe nothing, than to believe what is wrong." -Thomas Jefferson

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
wavesport001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2011, 06:39 PM #2
Umami
"That guy"
 
Umami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Baltimore
Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
I think it's ridiculous that Ghost Hunters has airtime.

__________________
Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.
I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:45 PM #3
wavesport001
 
 
wavesport001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The River
You don't value their unbiased and skeptically minded scientifically based approach?
__________________
"It is always better to have no ideas than false ones; to believe nothing, than to believe what is wrong." -Thomas Jefferson

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
wavesport001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:48 PM #4
Umami
"That guy"
 
Umami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Baltimore
Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
lol
__________________
Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.
I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:25 PM #5
Spock
Live Long and Bluster
 
Spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SE PA
Spock is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
They. Don't. Exist.
__________________
"Once I make someone die, and they see me....they can't change their mind." -- God

Originally posted by matt00iconoclast:
"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:55 PM #6
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref
 
PBOldTimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Jim Thorpe, PA
 has been a member for 10 years
PBOldTimer owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PBOldTimer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
As a Druid, I believe that ghosts are people who have died and have learned how to ascend (keep their consciousness intact after death.) But why they are remaining in this plane of existance is a bit of a mystery... perhaps they haven't figured out how to planar travel, or perhaps they choose to remain... who knows.

But what makes Halloween (Hallow's Eve) unique, is that it is the night of the year when the planar barriers are at their thinnest.

Mind you, this is only a Druid's perspective. Neither I, nor any other Druid I know of, have any definitive proof.
__________________
I'm here to kick butt and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum!
PBOldTimer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:31 PM #7
Spock
Live Long and Bluster
 
Spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SE PA
Spock is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBOldTimer View Post
As a Druid...
Whoa, cool! Are you a boomkin or a beartank?
__________________
"Once I make someone die, and they see me....they can't change their mind." -- God

Originally posted by matt00iconoclast:
"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:49 PM #8
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref
 
PBOldTimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Jim Thorpe, PA
 has been a member for 10 years
PBOldTimer owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PBOldTimer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Actually, I play a hunter! lol
__________________
I'm here to kick butt and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum!
PBOldTimer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:59 PM #9
AlphaNeo36
lapping your tears
 
AlphaNeo36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 765-IN
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBOldTimer View Post
As a Druid, I believe that ghosts are people who have died and have learned how to ascend (keep their consciousness intact after death.) But why they are remaining in this plane of existance is a bit of a mystery... perhaps they haven't figured out how to planar travel, or perhaps they choose to remain... who knows.
seriously, how often do ingest drugs
__________________
Overbear: better 10 innocent men be convicted, than a single guilty man go free to commit more crime.
Overbear: I prefer that I be given a license to shoot anyone who would pick socialism or communism over the basic freedoms inherent to consumerism.
MatrixBaller04 AKA EricS6661: I can guarantee something will happen between now and February 9th.
yesme: i'm not saying you should invest in gold first off, you would be much better off to invest in food,stuff you use and will keep for a couple of years, like razors
Blake360: in highschool, my teacher's father worked for the CIA and she brought my class documents proving the Roswell crash was of extraterrestrial origin.
AlphaNeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:13 PM #10
marcozombie
 
 
marcozombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tejas!
ghosts rock...
__________________
I am for freedom of religion, & against all maneuvres to bring about a legal ascendancy of one sect over another.]-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Elbridge Gerry, 1799http://abaddoncomic.com/
marcozombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:17 PM #11
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.
 
Fubarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Richmond, WI
Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
They. Don't. Exist.
A decidedly definitive declaration from someone who once said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Whether "unicorns" existed depends on your definition of "unicorn".
So if there's some natural phenomena (infrasonic waves causing hallucinations, eye conditions causing distortion, suggestion triggering the imagination while in a stress induced flight or fight response, etc.) that people interpret as "ghosts", then what they're seeing is real and does exist, just their definition of what they're seeing hasn't caught up with the reality of what they're seeing.
__________________
David Johnson, AKA Fubarius.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:30 AM #12
scienceguy
 
 
scienceguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
Anyone have some good (really happened to you) ghost stories? I used to think ghosts were a load of crap until I adopted this kid. I still think anyone trying to make money off ghosts is a scam artist.

However, We got this kid when he was around 19 months old. He was super friendly, outgoing and never scared of anything. He's the kind of kid that hugged total strangers and never cried when he was introduced to something new. When he was 2, We took him trick or treating and he walked up to a stranger (unprompted) doing a haunted house that was covered in fake blood holding a running chainsaw and hugged him. Seriously... An in unhealthy lack of fear for a 2yr old.

Anyway, the first time I saw him scared was when we would take him for our nightly walks downtown. He used to want to be picked up by two normal looking houses and he was really unnerved by them. He didn't cry he would just stare at them and get real quiet. Once they were out of site he would return to normal. I asked him what the problem was and he would reply, "the people.". The strange thing was that those houses were the funeral homes. There are much spookier looking houses in town that could have set him off. We never made a big deal about it.

I have lots more strange stories about this kid and he doesn't do stuff like this any more. it was still strange though. I know there are all kinds of explanations for this, but what does it hurt to say he could see ghosts?
scienceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:42 AM #13
$h@key J0nEZ
Southern By The
 
$h@key J0nEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Grace Of GOD
Thou art wearied in the multitude of thy counsels. Let now the astrologers, the stargazers, the monthly prognosticators, stand up, and save thee from these things that shall come upon thee. - Isaiah 47:13
__________________

The moths & atheists are doubly divine & dying - Jim Morrison
$h@key J0nEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:04 AM #14
Spock
Live Long and Bluster
 
Spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SE PA
Spock is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
A decidedly definitive declaration from someone who once said...

So if there's some natural phenomena (infrasonic waves causing hallucinations, eye conditions causing distortion, suggestion triggering the imagination while in a stress induced flight or fight response, etc.) that people interpret as "ghosts", then what they're seeing is real and does exist, just their definition of what they're seeing hasn't caught up with the reality of what they're seeing.
I think we both know that the contexts of the threads were very different.

In your unicorn thread, you explicitly indicated that different animals with something like one horn on the top of their heads might qualify as "unicorns", and I was simply pointing out, that if you were going to put it that way, it's just a matter of semantics. Interestingly enough, you left out the first sentence of my response from your quote, which was: "The question is pure mental masturbation, and the 'answer' is pure semantics." Indeed, the entire thread was entitled "Definition before discovery." In other words, if you arbitrarily expand the definition of "unicorn" broadly enough, my Aunt Betsy might qualify as a unicorn.

The OP in his thread made no such qualification, so it was apparent to me that he was referring to the ordinary understanding o the word "ghost", i.e. something supernatural.

But yes, if you want to include within the definition of "ghost" things like hallucinations, the Aurora Borealis, and photographic artifacts not understood by people of below-average intelligence, then I guess "ghosts" do exist.
__________________
"Once I make someone die, and they see me....they can't change their mind." -- God

Originally posted by matt00iconoclast:
"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:21 AM #15
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref
 
PBOldTimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Jim Thorpe, PA
 has been a member for 10 years
PBOldTimer owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PBOldTimer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaNeo36 View Post
seriously, how often do ingest drugs
Seriously, how often do you invoke piss-poor grammar?
__________________
I'm here to kick butt and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum!
PBOldTimer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:47 PM #16
Javirus Breaker
 
 
Javirus Breaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
I think we both know that the contexts of the threads were very different.

In your unicorn thread, you explicitly indicated that different animals with something like one horn on the top of their heads might qualify as "unicorns", and I was simply pointing out, that if you were going to put it that way, it's just a matter of semantics. Interestingly enough, you left out the first sentence of my response from your quote, which was: "The question is pure mental masturbation, and the 'answer' is pure semantics." Indeed, the entire thread was entitled "Definition before discovery." In other words, if you arbitrarily expand the definition of "unicorn" broadly enough, my Aunt Betsy might qualify as a unicorn.

The OP in his thread made no such qualification, so it was apparent to me that he was referring to the ordinary understanding o the word "ghost", i.e. something supernatural.

But yes, if you want to include within the definition of "ghost" things like hallucinations, the Aurora Borealis, and photographic artifacts not understood by people of below-average intelligence, then I guess "ghosts" do exist.
I think he still made a good point though.... your statement seemed very definitive on a subject that hasnt really been proven one way or the other.

Last edited by Javirus Breaker : 11-02-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Javirus Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:52 PM #17
PAPA_SMURF1
.
 
PAPA_SMURF1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: You don't care
Quote:
Originally Posted by scienceguy View Post
Anyone have some good (really happened to you) ghost stories? I used to think ghosts were a load of crap until I adopted this kid. I still think anyone trying to make money off ghosts is a scam artist.

However, We got this kid when he was around 19 months old. He was super friendly, outgoing and never scared of anything. He's the kind of kid that hugged total strangers and never cried when he was introduced to something new. When he was 2, We took him trick or treating and he walked up to a stranger (unprompted) doing a haunted house that was covered in fake blood holding a running chainsaw and hugged him. Seriously... An in unhealthy lack of fear for a 2yr old.

Anyway, the first time I saw him scared was when we would take him for our nightly walks downtown. He used to want to be picked up by two normal looking houses and he was really unnerved by them. He didn't cry he would just stare at them and get real quiet. Once they were out of site he would return to normal. I asked him what the problem was and he would reply, "the people.". The strange thing was that those houses were the funeral homes. There are much spookier looking houses in town that could have set him off. We never made a big deal about it.

I have lots more strange stories about this kid and he doesn't do stuff like this any more. it was still strange though. I know there are all kinds of explanations for this, but what does it hurt to say he could see ghosts?
So is "this kid" your child? If he is, why the **** do you call him "this kid"?
PAPA_SMURF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:15 PM #18
Spock
Live Long and Bluster
 
Spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SE PA
Spock is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javirus Breaker View Post
I think he still made a good point though.... your statement seemed very definitive on a subject that hasnt really been proven one way or the other.
It's logically impossible to prove a negative. I'm perfectly comfortable making such a definitive statement, however, when there is no credible evidence to support the positive.
__________________
"Once I make someone die, and they see me....they can't change their mind." -- God

Originally posted by matt00iconoclast:
"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:22 PM #19
Javirus Breaker
 
 
Javirus Breaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
It's logically impossible to prove a negative. I'm perfectly comfortable making such a definitive statement, however, when there is no credible evidence to support the positive.
Define credible evidence.... While obviously there are plenty of hoaxes out there on the subject, there is also a wealth of human experience that would indicate the existence of ghosts, some documented in different mediums (I will concede this does not prove anything, but it certainly provides evidence for theory). Just because current technology cannot measure it does not mean it doesnt exist.
Javirus Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:46 PM #20
Spock
Live Long and Bluster
 
Spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SE PA
Spock is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javirus Breaker View Post
Define credible evidence.... While obviously there are plenty of hoaxes out there on the subject, there is also a wealth of human experience that would indicate the existence of ghosts, some documented in different mediums (I will concede this does not prove anything, but it certainly provides evidence for theory). Just because current technology cannot measure it does not mean it doesnt exist.
Credible evidence would include that which is reproducible, verifiable, and/or falsifiable.

Just because something might exist, doesn't mean that it does. If neither our senses nor current technology can detect or measure it, I have no reason to believe in it.
__________________
"Once I make someone die, and they see me....they can't change their mind." -- God

Originally posted by matt00iconoclast:
"there are variables outside of physics that will affect the flight of the ball"
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:48 PM #21
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower
 
spracks21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln, NE
spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javirus Breaker View Post
Define credible evidence.... While obviously there are plenty of hoaxes out there on the subject, there is also a wealth of human experience that would indicate the existence of ghosts, some documented in different mediums (I will concede this does not prove anything, but it certainly provides evidence for theory). Just because current technology cannot measure it does not mean it doesnt exist.
Supernatural spirits are actually the scattered remains of God, and several Mortal Kombat Characters. You see, about 1300 years ago, Satan escaped from Hell and was able to overthrow God (His arrogance and vanity proved to be his downfall), and trapped his essence in Earth Realm, along with Sub-Zero, Scorpion, and Lord Raiden. These are the "Demon" spirits that we humans see out of the corner of our eye. The "Ghosts" that we encounter from time to time are merely the lost souls that once belonged to the sorcerer Shang Sung. I actually ran into him at Target the other day, and he told me the whole story. I even have several other people who can confirm this theory. I was skeptical of this at first, being as there were a few contradictions in Shang Sung's story. But Jesus came down the next day and said it was all true, and that he needed my help for him to return to Heaven and slay Lucifer (Obviously I just laughed and just told him tough ****, GTFO of here, it's not my problem).

Prove that's not true.
__________________
Aimless Factory
#21

Last edited by spracks21 : 11-02-2011 at 03:51 PM.
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump