sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai is a Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
sumorai is playing at Living Legends VII
sumorai supports our troops
sumorai has perfected Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
You guys are mentioned in this VFTD post (in reference to successful D1 teams moving up to Pro). Also mentioned is the idea of setting specific goals (for practice, events, and for the season).

When you guys first decided to jump into playing PSP last year, what were your goals for the 2010 season? Did you adjust them during the season, and if so how? How about when you moved up to D1 this past season?

I know the overall goal for the team is to win, because winning is fun. I guess I'm more curious about how you set your goals. Whether you focus solely on getting the gold every time, or if, at first, you tried to keep your goals "realistic".

There are several teams in the New England area now looking at playing PSP. What advice would you offer to them about setting and meeting those goals?

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
sumorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:59 AM #192
187cRew13C
Captain Murda

187cRew13C is a Professional paintball player
187cRew13C plays in the PSP
187cRew13C owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
187cRew13C plays in the APPA Pro division
sumorai, this is a great question and probably deserves a little more detail than I feel like typing right now, but if you ever see me in person I would love to elaborate.

But I think our goals first coming into psp were to learn. Not just about paintball skills because you can learn that in practice, but to learn about format, the way time works and should be used, the way certain players play under different circumstances (wether 4-0 or 0-4), and really just be students of the race to format. I think that this is a really under rated aspect most teams who want to play psp overlook, is clock management.

Going into D1 we had the goal to slightly change our play. Difference in play between devisions is very apparent and D1 is a lot slower of a devision. There are very skilled players and very organized teams, (some more organized than pro teams) and if we didn't want to fit that mold we probably would not have survived.

My only advise to pass on to New England teams looking to play PSP, is yes the typiclal "practice paintball", but really know what you are going to be playing. As a team. Not just one guy on your team knows a lot of rules. I see to many teams who have high hopes get them crushed by STUPED penalties, lack of clock management, which in turn causes lack of unity and the only way you can win is as a TEAM. So wether you go for the read the entire rulebook as homework option, or the watch 100 youtube matches with half of them being lost by one point, please know the game you are playing before you spend all of your hard earned money to get embarrassed.

All of the 187 guys have a ton of experience and more than half love attention. So if you have any questions before or at an event we love to help our fellow fox 4 patrons.
KEE
RPS
Fox 4 Paintball
187cRew13C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:18 PM #193
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 187cRew13C View Post
sumorai, this is a great question and probably deserves a little more detail than I feel like typing right now, but if you ever see me in person I would love to elaborate.
Thanks, Nick. I'll be sure to pick your brain next time I'm at Fox4 for practice.

- Gabe

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead
Old 12-29-2011, 01:49 PM #194
Zaleski

Zaleski is a Professional paintball player
Zaleski owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
As far as goals go, I think a team needs to honestly sit down and evaluate a realistic goal together. Some goals are bigger, like at the beginning of a season to place top 4 at a national event. While this seems like a good goal, there are a lot of little goals that need to be met along the way. Just showing up to a rotation or practice isn't enough anymore.

The little goals should happen every practice. What do we need to get better at today? Well last event we had trouble laneing people out so lets practice laneing for 1 hour on different bunkers and different spots of a run. So as a team everyone is working on laneing. I realize not everyone has field time to themselves but there are ways around this. Using laneing as an example again, having a player who is sitting count how many bodies were laned off the break, or if a targeted bunker was laned out.

Also, individually there should also be goals. For example. Player A may have a better 1st ball at a lane while player B can hold a steady lane. Player B should have a goal to get their first ball better during the laneing drill while player A focuses on keeping a solid steady stream on a spot. Now the team is focusing on a specific part of paintball, while individually each player is getting better.

So I would say setting a lot of little goals is the key to reaching the ultimate goal. I know that sounds like an easy concept but few teams look at each practice as a way to reach that final goal. They just show up and play. Which is fine if you are out to just have fun, but if you are serious about winning, each practice should have its own set of goals, if not team oriented then indvidually.

187 cRew ITS muRda

Last edited by Zaleski : 12-29-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Zaleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:35 PM #195
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
How do you guys organize those goals? Is there someone in charge of tracking what each player needs to work on, or do you handle that individually? Do you plan out your practices in advance, or on the morning of do you discuss the things you all need to work on that day?

Old 12-29-2011, 02:59 PM #196
Zaleski

Zaleski is a Professional paintball player
Zaleski owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Usually the morning of while we are getting ready, if someone wants to work on a situation or something specific it will be brought up, then a drill will be created just for that.

The individual goals, at least from my perspective, comes from teammates criticism. Its on that person to implement them and work on getting themselves better

187 cRew ITS muRda
Zaleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:02 PM #197
sumorai
FRENCHIE

Annual Supporting Member
sumorai plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaleski View Post
The individual goals, at least from my perspective, comes from teammates criticism. Its on that person to implement them and work on getting themselves better

That's what I've been trying to get my guys to do since the beginning of the 2011 season. There's a term for it: "flattening the authority gradient". I'd read about it in a book about why people make mistakes. People will sometimes avoid speaking up if they see someone making a mistake for many reasons (nurses not bringing a doctor's attention to the fact that s/he is doing something wrong).

A lot of us learn to do things a certain way, and will continue doing it that way, whether it's right or wrong. The best way to help each other to get better is to make someone aware that they could be doing something better, and help them figure out/show them how to fix it.

It doesn't matter if the person is a better player than you, they can still make mistakes sometimes. Everyone needs to be willing to learn from them, and not take criticism personally.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:22 PM #198
187cRew13C
Captain Murda

well said both of you
KEE
RPS
Fox 4 Paintball
Old 12-29-2011, 08:53 PM #199
rOcKiNtHeDm5*la*

has been a member for 10 years
rOcKiNtHeDm5*la* owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
rOcKiNtHeDm5*la* supports Team VICIOUS
During the 2011 season in D1, did any 187 players get asked to guest in NPPL Pro or asked to tryout for a psp pro team?

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...4#post15332664
My feedback -------- 0 negative
rOcKiNtHeDm5*la* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:57 PM #200
rOcKiNtHeDm5*la*

rOcKiNtHeDm5*la* owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
rOcKiNtHeDm5*la* supports Team VICIOUS
Also, how does it feel that you guys can no longer play/guest in any local leagues?

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...4#post15332664
My feedback -------- 0 negative
rOcKiNtHeDm5*la* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:15 PM #201
187cRew13C
Captain Murda

I don't belive so??? We are kind of the non-pro pros lol, nameless and faceless, which in my oppinion feels good. And for me not being able to play local leagues is not to bad of a trade off, although those were some of the best times I have ad and got me into paintball in general. But not many get the oppertunity we have been given and I plan on taking full advantage of our time on the big boy's field.
KEE
RPS
Fox 4 Paintball
Old 12-30-2011, 11:01 AM #202
juzdabeatpaintball
Russian Midget

juzdabeatpaintball is playing at Living Legends VI
juzdabeatpaintball supports Team VICIOUS
juzdabeatpaintball posts videos on PbNation
juzdabeatpaintball is attending Decay of Nations VI
juzdabeatpaintball supports DLX Technology
What kinds of markers do you use and out of those which do you recommend?
Old 12-30-2011, 11:06 AM #203
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

4x4 rider plays in the PSP
4x4 rider plays in the APPA D3 division
They use geo's and ego's
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

NEAA-2011 foXball Champs!

Aftermath fan club member #80
UpTon 187 cRew fan club member #15
4x4 rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:22 AM #204
187cRew13C
Captain Murda

And not many teams can say this with complete honesty, but I sincerely recommend them both. Eclipse makes the best guns on the planet. (hence planet eclipse)
KEE
RPS
Fox 4 Paintball
Old 12-30-2011, 04:01 PM #205
Eppaintball

Eppaintball is a Professional paintball player
Eppaintball owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
agreed ive shot both not only in practice but at events, in fact i shot the Geo all the way thru the D1 season, and then cup came around and i found myself playing that center temple and the few extra pods i could get off the ego, beacuse of its amazing efficence, had me shooting one at the event and it felt really comfortable was able to switch back and forth seemlessly
Eppaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:22 PM #206
ctpaintballa42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppaintball View Post
agreed ive shot both not only in practice but at events, in fact i shot the Geo all the way thru the D1 season, and then cup came around and i found myself playing that center temple and the few extra pods i could get off the ego, beacuse of its amazing efficence, had me shooting one at the event and it felt really comfortable was able to switch back and forth seemlessly
Completely agree, I always shot an ego from pretty much the 05-09 seasons. They are so reliable, I barely ever had any problems with my multiple egos and 1 geo. Out of all those years, I think besides a few o-rings, I had to replace one solenoid. And I played every weekend, regardless of weather (easily the best guns in the winter), and my egos/geo rarely failed me. Planet makes an incredible product, and all their employees are extremely qualified and just great people. You can't go wrong when you chose Planet Eclipse
Old 01-01-2012, 06:54 PM #207
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

Only thing I have shot since 07 is an Ego, I LOVE them. I currently have no gun and am looking to venture to something new though, possible and AXE. But if I had the money I would definitely pick up a new 187 ego or geo. Here is a question, will 187 be working with eclipse to come out with some customized gear, such as; packs, pants, gloves, and things of that nature (other than the jersey obviously).
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

Old 01-01-2012, 09:17 PM #208
Fox4paintball
Home of upTon 187 cRew

Annual Supporting Member
Fox4paintball is a Professional paintball player
Fox4paintball is an Ultimate field/store owner
Fox4paintball plays in the PSP
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Fox4paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Fox4paintball plays in the APPA D4 division
Josh,

Not currently in the plans. Maybe we'll start working on some cool new customized gear fir the 2013 season
Home of upTon 187 cRew
(508) 529-FOX4 (3694)
www.fox4paintball.com
Fox4paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:57 PM #209
4x4 rider
Armageddon 2013

I guess working on some 1st places finishes in the pro division is more important than having a cool pack lol
Josh DeYoung #01
NEAA 2014

Old 01-02-2012, 01:17 AM #210
JoMaMa1989

JoMaMa1989 plays in the PSP
JoMaMa1989 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JoMaMa1989 is an NCPA player
JoMaMa1989 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by 187cRew13C View Post
I don't belive so??? We are kind of the non-pro pros lol, nameless and faceless, which in my oppinion feels good. And for me not being able to play local leagues is not to bad of a trade off, although those were some of the best times I have ad and got me into paintball in general. But not many get the oppertunity we have been given and I plan on taking full advantage of our time on the big boy's field.
On a semi-related note, what are some of your favorite events to have attended or played in? Local or national.

That's supposed to be a collective "your" btw...I'd love to hear answers form any of the players.
JoMaMa1989 is offline   Reply With Quote