Community Focus

Old 01-15-2015, 12:51 PM #1
Steven_Bro

Steven_Bro owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Steven_Bro has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Steven_Bro has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Steven_Bro has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Greg Hastings Paintball 3

Considering buying it if they have field editor, and online tournaments like they did in MAX'D. Anyone else?

Steven_Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2015, 01:16 PM #2
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
digitard works for a Paintball manufacturer
digitard is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
I'm totally getting it.

*walks away whistling*

Here's what I'll tell you for serious, though.

#1. It's a while off. Early Development stages.
#2. We will be kicking off many social interaction pieces to keep the community informed, but also get your feedback.
#3. Greg has been asking what people want for a while now, and a LOT of emphasis is being put into many key points we kept hearing. Expect a big emphasis on the Multiplayer component, proper balancing of genre's, and lots lots more (sorry, keeping it close until we're further into production... but we'll be kicking off that #2 step throughout production so you'll know!)
#4. Multiple consoles + PC
#5. I'm still pretty sure McDonald's Cheeseburgers actually are not meat.
#6. I'm campaigning to make John a playable character, but he he's got a case of the Mondays.

Last edited by digitard : 01-15-2015 at 01:20 PM.
digitard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:33 PM #3
paintballking72
Yummy! :-)

paintballking72 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Like many have said, if you make it a remastered version of Max'd, players will love it.

-Updated graphics
-Field editor
-Downloadable layouts (mainly for national events, but you could even allow community layouts via Steam Workshop)
-Downloadable markers, setups and upgrades
-Wide range of markers, setups and upgrades (new and old)

I know Greg is really big into the woodsball/scenario thing, but this was just not fun gameplay. I think there should still be a woodsball/scenario aspect to the game, but it should not be the primary focus.

Playing speedball on a PSP field in Max'd felt similar to playing speedball IRL (its a game so its not exact, but it still captured that feel). Woodsball in GHP2, just didn't capture the real feel of sneaking around in the woods. Plus there are enough COD games set in wooded areas.
paintballking72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:34 PM #4
paintballking72

I think you guys could also take a page out of CSGO's playbook.

Weapon skins blew up in CSGO.

There might not be a market for trading skins in a paintball game, but I bet people would love making and sharing different skins and color schemes.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:41 PM #5
BCE
Canadian Bacon

BCE is playing at Living Legends VI
BCE is playing at Living Legends VII
BCE owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
BCE supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballking72 View Post
Like many have said, if you make it a remastered version of Max'd, players will love it.

-Updated graphics
-Field editor
-Downloadable layouts (mainly for national events, but you could even allow community layouts via Steam Workshop)
-Downloadable markers, setups and upgrades
-Wide range of markers, setups and upgrades (new and old)

I know Greg is really big into the woodsball/scenario thing, but this was just not fun gameplay. I think there should still be a woodsball/scenario aspect to the game, but it should not be the primary focus.

Playing speedball on a PSP field in Max'd felt similar to playing speedball IRL (its a game so its not exact, but it still captured that feel). Woodsball in GHP2, just didn't capture the real feel of sneaking around in the woods. Plus there are enough COD games set in wooded areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballking72 View Post
I think you guys could also take a page out of CSGO's playbook.

Weapon skins blew up in CSGO.

There might not be a market for trading skins in a paintball game, but I bet people would love making and sharing different skins and color schemes.
agree 100% here...revamped and updated max'd paintball game will get the most players on this game, focus on the speedball instead of the woodsball/scenario, have have the ability to customize loadouts with up to date layouts
BCE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:45 PM #6
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

Annual Supporting Member
MAX'D is the past. Not going to happen.

BUT...BUT...BUT...BUT BUT BUT BUT

It's no surprise that MAX'D is the constant reference point. So while a remastered MAX'D isn't going to happen we fully plan to take those things that made MAX'D such a long lasting comparison, and bring that into GHP3.

GHP3 is going to be GHP3. It won't be GHP2, MAX'D, etc... it's going to take those things that each did well, and find that sweet spot. It's going to be it's own game, but you'll definitely be able to pull those pieces out and say "Ah, that's what I LOVED about MAX'D!" or whatever title.

Woods/Scenario/Speed/Milsim. They're all HUGE parts of paintball. So they'll all have their place, but there's going to be a better balance, and with the updated engine / consoles / pc there will be a better feel to it all. All those formats are huge (look at big games for example with 1000+ players in a Woods type event) so we're going to represent them, but we're going to make sure we don't focus SO much on any one the others are left wanting. You'll find that balance.

It's no secret that while speedsball is the vocal minority of paintballers it's also one of the best formats for fast paced gaming. So while both have their place we definitely know that fast paced gaming in MP is going to be a big focal point so we've got that on the whiteboard. MP is longevity and we're going to really focus on making that a blast to play.

There will be a lot of "fan interaction" stuff going on as we progress through development so we'll be pinging out to fans, showing them inside looks, etc, throughout time so you know what we're up to.

Also... Oculus Rift.

Last edited by digitard : 01-15-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:57 PM #7
paintballking72

Personally, couldn't care less about Oculus Rift. I'll save the fun for single player games.

I'm going to be bluntly honest and say there was nothing about GHP2 that I liked, aside from the fact that it was a paintball game.

I do agree with woodsball is a HUGE part of paintball. It is what keeps the game alive, but GHP2 in no way captured the essence of woodsball. You guys HAVE to capture that to make that aspect fun.

Again, maybe that's why I loved Max'd, because it really captured the feel of playing a game on a psp field.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:41 PM #8
Steven_Bro

Steven_Bro owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Steven_Bro has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Steven_Bro has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Steven_Bro has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I play Greg Hastings Fields of Battles, and literally only join the speedball matches.

Woodsball is pretty cool, but please, please, please cater to the speedball guys!

I don't care if the entire campaign is woods ball based, but pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaasssssseeeeeeee give us real tournament layouts and proper snapshooting for multiplayer!!!!
Steven_Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:45 PM #9
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven_Bro View Post
Woodsball is pretty cool, but please, please, please cater to the speedball guys!
It'll cater to paintball in general.

No need to focus on any ONE type and alienate others. Spread the love around, and make sure it is still fun.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:45 PM #10
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

Annual Supporting Member
FYI, as this seems to be the hot button for most people. Probably the most common question I see related to "will there be".

DYE and PE are both going to be in #GHP3. As well as a slew of other companies, and we're always adding more.

Last edited by digitard : 02-04-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:32 PM #11
midman112
Lawd Oh Lawd

midman112 plays in the MiLP
midman112 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
midman112 supports Team VICIOUS
midman112 plays in the APPA D4 division
I absolutely despised GHTP2 and I had very high hopes for it after playing GHTP and Max'd to death (literally had to get a second copy of Max'd because my original stopped working). The graphics looked cheesy, gameplay felt sloppy and disjointed and one of the things that bothered me the most for reasons I still don't fully understand were the blue and red trails that followed behind each and every paintball. Something about it just pulled me out of the experience. You can lump me in with the people who hated the woodsball stuff. I realize that is the group of players that keep the sport alive/where most new players are formed and that Greg himself is a huge part of that but it just wasn't very much fun to play in a video game, at least not in GHTP2. Looking at the photo in the OP, I see "Secondary marker". Please God tell me that won't be something that will show up in the speedball aspect of the game or I will absolutely lose my **** lol. I have high hopes that this newest iteration will supersede what GHTP2 accomplished (or rather didn't).
Old 02-05-2015, 07:43 AM #12
BIG T25
WhereIsTodd.com

BIG T25 plays in the PSP
BIG T25 is an NCPA player
BIG T25 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
BIG T25 supports DLX Technology
If this game can simulate psp-style paintball, I will 100% be buying it.
BIG T25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:03 PM #13
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

Annual Supporting Member
Our goal with the speedball side is to be MAX'D+

Meaning meet that bar and exceed it.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:00 PM #14
Hobbes The Tiger
Big Gulps, huh?

Annual Supporting Member
Hobbes The Tiger is a Moderator
Hobbes The Tiger is BST Trusted
Hobbes The Tiger is a Paintball photographer
Hobbes The Tiger is playing at Living Legends VII
Hobbes The Tiger is playing at Living Legends VIII
Hobbes The Tiger has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Hobbes The Tiger supports our troops
Will it have True Semi?

PbNation: Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

DAB Photo: Instagram | Facebook
Hobbes The Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:25 PM #15
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

Annual Supporting Member
It'll have Dave Face Semi

In a serious response we haven't locked down that stuff yet. My guess, though, is that we will stick w/ the tried and true one on the pull, one on the release that we did in MAXD.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:41 PM #16
BCE
Canadian Bacon

BCE is playing at Living Legends VI
BCE is playing at Living Legends VII
BCE owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
BCE supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes The Tiger View Post
Will it have True Semi?
lol'd
BCE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:04 PM #17
Hobbes The Tiger
Big Gulps, huh?

Annual Supporting Member
Hobbes The Tiger is a Moderator
Hobbes The Tiger is BST Trusted
Hobbes The Tiger is a Paintball photographer
Hobbes The Tiger is playing at Living Legends VII
Hobbes The Tiger is playing at Living Legends VIII
Hobbes The Tiger has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Hobbes The Tiger supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitard View Post
It'll have Dave Face Semi

In a serious response we haven't locked down that stuff yet. My guess, though, is that we will stick w/ the tried and true one on the pull, one on the release that we did in MAXD.
If there's a daveface in there I'm not buying it

PbNation: Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

DAB Photo: Instagram | Facebook
Hobbes The Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:22 PM #18
Paper_or_Plastic

Paper_or_Plastic plays in the PSP
Paper_or_Plastic owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Paper_or_Plastic supports Empire
I think a reasonable F2P model could work well for a paintball game on something that wasn't mobile. Even some real life product integration could work out as some nice marketing for PE, Virtue, etc... For example, if you purchased a real life geo 3.5 then you would also receive one for free in the game. Overall paintball as an industry has an interest in getting our "product" into the hands of as many people as possible. I started playing paintball because of GHTP and I'm sure countless others did as well, a F2P model could be a nice way for a digital paintball game to stay relevant for longer. Its going to take a while for the "feel" to be right.

Sidenote: GHTP online worked really well when both teams played with the rule of not crossing the 50 yard line for an accepted amount of time. GHTP online with that rule did an amazing job of capturing the feeling of paintball.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:56 PM #19
BIG T25
WhereIsTodd.com

BIG T25 plays in the PSP
BIG T25 is an NCPA player
BIG T25 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
BIG T25 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitard View Post

I would HIGHLY suggest including a psp ramping mode. Like I said...it needs to simulate psp-style paintball
BIG T25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:48 PM #20
Jurd
Dervishboy05

I literally just bought GHTP2 today and id have to say the most annoying thing about it is the player movement. You can teleport like halfway across the field when you slide. When you do its like holy **** and when the other team does it looks retarded completely unrealistic and sucks me out of the game and puts me back on my couch wondering why i just spent $15. Im just glad i didnt buy it new for 60 or whatever. Id have been pissed.

And i think you should be able to set your firing modes and some events would be open some events would force you to use a certain mode. The open events you could maybe get more of a reward for shooting a slower BPS or something idk. But it would be fun to play at different ramping caps and full auto caps simi or whatever max'd was was fun.

I was stoked to see pump guns but the animation is lacking and the rof can exceed the animation and again it just pulls me out of the game and leaves me unsatisfied. Especially if i paid alot for the game... which i didnt so whatever.
Jurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:49 PM #21
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG T25 View Post
I would HIGHLY suggest including a psp ramping mode. Like I said...it needs to simulate psp-style paintball
We cater to no league (said with conviction and puffing of the chest).

In reality we'll do what works best for the flow of the game. We'll give customization tools that will give a variety of field options, game limitations, etc, for people to customize their room / rules, but ultimately our goal is the best experience and what works the best for the game play.

Obviously MP and Customization is a HUGE focus with #GHP3, but how deep the rabbit hole goes will be dependent on how the flow of the game works, and the depth of design.

Still way too early... you'll see where we end up going later down the line.