Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 03:42 PM #1723
chodeyg
sprezzatura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbear View Post
because for the most part, everything the "libs" stand for, I am aganst. I am tired of all the social programs, the whining about this and that, the "green" mesures, even the "we must all get along and be diverse"

Hell the extreme neo-cons wouldn't be the anti-gay up in arms they are, if the demo****s would stop poking the them!

Ever hear the term..don't poke the sleeping bear?
I consider myself a liberal and I am against most of the things you described. You seem to be describing the overly vocal far left hippies out in California. Social programs have gone way, way too far. Skimming off the economy and handing it to the poor does nothing to actually relieve the causes of poverty. There should be incentives for polluting less, so we don't end up with the air quality of China, but taxing businesses as a disincentive, I don't understand that. As far as getting along and being diverse, what do you want segregation?

Also you don't consider the anti-abortion and anti-gay crusade of many republicans to be "whining"?
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2012, 04:28 PM #1724
drgonzo
Half-cocked

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chodeyg View Post
Skimming off the economy and handing it to the poor does nothing to actually relieve the causes of poverty.
Well that doesn't happen.

It's well-established that a primary cause of poverty is prior poverty, so actually a major cause of poverty would be addressed by redistributing heavily to the poor.

But again, that doesn't happen.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:33 PM #1725
Murph1329

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgonzo View Post
Well that doesn't happen.

It's well-established that a primary cause of poverty is prior poverty, so actually a major cause of poverty would be addressed by redistributing heavily to the poor.

But again, that doesn't happen.

please tell me you don't believe that? You really think that giving some poor dude a million bucks will allow all his future generations to not be poor?

fiscal responsibility is not the job of the government but it's something parents need to teach their kids...just handing out free money doesn't fix that problem at all, in fact it will only make it worse.

Look at any rapper or NFL player that came from the ghetto and is now broke. That happened because they were never taught to be fiscally responsible....they need to listen to dave ramsey more and rap less.
ANS Jackhammer | Rex Kit
STO RAM | Air America Black Ice | Shocktech LPC
pic
Forum defeat is admitted when one resorts to grammatical insults -me
We all live with a mark of sin, no man's is greater than another's in his own mind. -me

Last edited by Murph1329 : 07-25-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:56 PM #1726
drgonzo
Half-cocked

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph1329 View Post
please tell me you don't believe that? You really think that giving some poor dude a million bucks will allow all his future generations to not be poor?
Yep. Most people would end up owning a house if they were to come across that kind of money. And a house is a major source of sustainable American wealth, which directly assists future generations in their upbringing and later when the home is passed down.

Last edited by drgonzo : 07-25-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:39 PM #1727
Riley Coyote
It's bad for the sport.

Riley Coyote has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Riley Coyote has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
Maybe he should be...

How exactly does Chic-Fil-A discriminate? I had lunch there today,
They donate tons of money to anti-lgbt groups. They are well within their legal rights to do so, but that doesn't mean they aren't bigot *******s.

As far as Boston is concerned, i was under the impression that he was saying they aren't welcome and suggesting they don't build there. I don't think he can actually do anything other than propose the typical zoning **** that all towns use on businesses that operate contrary to their belief.

Last edited by Riley Coyote : 07-25-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:54 PM #1728
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
To qualify as a bigot, don't you have to display HATRED?

Honestly, people are too loose with the words bigot, racist, and the like. They pay no mind to reflexivity.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
Old 07-25-2012, 06:03 PM #1729
Riley Coyote
It's bad for the sport.

I'm not sure how intentionally donating lots of money to groups specifically dedicated to destroying lgbt rights and supporting camps that "cure" homosexuality is anything but hate. Sorry that's such an inconvenience to the prejudice.

Last edited by Riley Coyote : 07-25-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:19 PM #1730
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
Destroying lgbt rights? Not sure what those are, but how are these rights being destroyed?

I was thinking about making the argument that a cosmetic surgeon was a bigot by those metrics, but it doesn't need to be made. It would have been a fun discussion, though.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:27 PM #1731
Riley Coyote
It's bad for the sport.

The rights of lgbt people is how I should have said it. Regardless, I'm obviously referring to marriage equality, equal employment and housing opportunities etc. Judging by your response you don't think they deserve that, so don't bother repeating yourself.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:44 PM #1732
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
No, I think everyone should be treated the same. Your assumptions about me are not based on my previous posts, apparently.

I don't think the general government should be involved in marriage at all. Civil unions, sure. Regulate those to hell and back, but a marriage is a religious ceremony that the government should have no part of.

I had the talk with my significant other recently, where I was under the assumption that the EO workforce laws prevented sexuality based discrimination. It was brought to my attention that because people don't EXPLICITLY see "sexuality based" in there, it doesn't apply. Asinine, if you ask me. Now that is the general government law, I am sure states have instituted their own laws (as they should).

Enlighten me to these "housing opportunities" you speak of.

Lastly, your prejudice does you great injustice.

Last edited by barrel roll : 07-25-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:45 PM #1733
tsbalr120
Goooonsberry

tsbalr120 plays in the MiLP
tsbalr120 is an NCPA player
tsbalr120 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley Coyote View Post
Judging by your response you don't think they deserve that, so don't bother repeating yourself.
Don't be so quick to judge, barrel roll never said anything anti-gay, he's just ripping apart your poor argument.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:51 PM #1734
Riley Coyote
It's bad for the sport.

I apologise, I misread what you said in your last post. My poor argument? I'm not really arguing anything. Barrel roll and I hardly are debating this topic.

Often transgender individuals and other non gender conforming gay or even straight people(such as butch identified lesbians) will be denied opportunities to rent homes or even be given shelter in various charity type places.

Last edited by Riley Coyote : 07-25-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:55 PM #1735
LOL Renegade

Not letting 2 people get married is not discrimination. I don't see why we should change the standard definition of marriage just to cater to a minority of people. Doesn't make sense.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:55 PM #1736
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
I apologise, I misread what you said in your last post.

Often transgender individuals and other non gender conforming gay or even straight people(such as butch identified lesbians) will be denied opportunities to rent homes or even be given shelter in various charity type places.
Doesn't the property owner have rights too? Or must they be forced to do business with anyone that steps forward? No one complains when the man that looks like a tweaker is told to look for an apartment elsewhere.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:59 PM #1737
tsbalr120
Goooonsberry

tsbalr120 plays in the MiLP
tsbalr120 is an NCPA player
tsbalr120 is Legendary
Quote:
I apologise, I misread what you said in your last post. My poor argument? I'm not really arguing anything. Barrel roll and I hardly debating this topic.

link?
Old 07-25-2012, 06:59 PM #1738
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL Renegade View Post
Not letting 2 people get married is not discrimination. I don't see why we should change the standard definition of marriage just to cater to a minority of people. Doesn't make sense.
actually, giving special privileges to one group and not another is pretty much the definition of discrimination.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:00 PM #1739
Riley Coyote
It's bad for the sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
Doesn't the property owner have rights too? Or must they be forced to do business with anyone that steps forward? No one complains when the man that looks like a tweaker is told to look for an apartment elsewhere.
I'm not sure how I feel on that topic. I feel like in principle the homeowner should have that right, but there is often a point that is reached where those people cannot find a home and end up on the street, which only reinforces stereotypes of those people.

Is it legal to deny a potential renter because they are black?

Last edited by Riley Coyote : 07-25-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:04 PM #1740
LOL Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat View Post
actually, giving special privileges to one group and not another is pretty much the definition of discrimination.
Not really. Homosexuals don't fit into the definition of marriage in the first place. It's like a black family who can't afford their car payments and then cry racist when the vehicle comes to get repo'd.

I'm not against gay people being together through some kind of civil union, just don't call it a ****ing marriage.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:09 PM #1741
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
I'm not sure how I feel on that topic. I feel like in principle the homeowner should have that right, but there is often a point that is reached where those people cannot find a home and end up on the street, which only reinforces stereotypes of those people.

Is it legal to deny a potential renter because they are black?
I don't believe so... but no intelligent man (general term) would... unless they displayed characteristics that lead the person to believe they are not a good investment to make. In that situation it isn't because of their skin pigment.

I don't think the government should be forcing people to rent to an XYZ person, against their will, even though I think it is a dumb way to base a financial decision.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:10 PM #1742
OccupyST

The discussion/debate over same sex marriage is getting more heated every day in Minnesota. Come November, the state will be fairly divided--similar to that of Wisconsin's Walker recall issue and its adverse effects on neighborly relations. Some of the larger Minnesota based headquarters like Target, General Mills, etc are vocalizing their support for the ban of an marriage amendment on the table (which would effectively restrict the state to a man/woman definition).

I've discussed it at length with my partner and we've decided that if the marriage amendment passes in November, we're out of the state by the end of December. I'm already moving my company (and employee base of 162) into "the cloud" and negotiating the office/building lease accordingly. Basically a "bolt in the night" move, but completely necessary at this point.

As anyone who lives in the metro knows, it is very difficult to keep outside talent in the state, and even more difficult to keep talented locals from moving East/West. The outcome of this issue will predict a significant change to MN either way.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:11 PM #1743
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupyST View Post
The discussions/debates over same sex marriage are getting more heated every day in Minnesota. Come November, the state will be fairly divided--similar to that of Wisconsin's Walker recall issue and its adverse effects on neighborly relations. Some of the larger Minnesota based headquarters like Target, General Mills, etc are vocalizing their support for the ban of an marriage amendment on the table (which would effectively restrict the state to a man/woman definition).

I've discussed it at length with my partner and we've decided that if the marriage amendment passes in November, we're out of the state by the end of December. I'm already moving my company (and employee base of 162) into "the cloud" and negotiating the office/building lease accordingly. Basically a "bolt in the night" move, but completely necessary at this point.

As anyone who lives in the metro knows, it is very difficult to keep outside talent in the state, and even more difficult to keep talented locals from moving East/West. The outcome of this issue will predict a significant change to MN either way.
Good for you. This is how it SHOULD be done. This is beautiful actually.
Closed Thread