Old 10-23-2011, 10:50 PM #1
yanks914
Toomey.

yanks914 plays in the PSP
yanks914 donated to help Peyton Trent
yanks914 plays in the APPA D3 division
Race to 4 / 2012 Discussion

**DISCLAIMER**
I do not work or in no way affliated with the GPL other then being a player. Nothing in this post is factual or supported unless specified. This is simply a thread to start some hopefully positive discussion for a possible route for this league.

There have been talks for some while now of people wanting Race-to-4 or some other x-ball-esque format in the GPL. There was even an attempt at GPXL a few years back if I remember correctly. However there has not been much discussed about the actual decisions that would fuel this growth of a new league format. I am going to attempt to touch base with as much of that I can think. Any useful thoughts/info I will edit into this first post. So please refer back to this original post when reading through this thread, it will be updated.

So you want to play Race-to-4 in GPL. Great! So do alot of other teams, but exactly how many other teams are there. This is a question that will effect decisions made by both the league and possible participants. The easiest way to tackle this question will be to look at it from those two points of view.

League.
Does the GPL even want to run a Race-to-4? Is it possible for them to do it? None of the following is fact, simply assumptions made using available info.

Time Constraints-
If a Race-to-4 format was adapted would the event still run in one day? Or would we need to expand to 2 days? This answer obviously relies on how many teams will be playing. So let us figure that out. Assuming that teams that play PSP Race-to-4 would be interested, how many teams would that be for GPL. Assuming that this would be some sort of D3/D4 combination we can gather the following pool of possible teams from this season's PSP attendance. If I have left any teams out please let me know.

EC Rampage, Lift D4, Milf Hunters, NJ Jesters, Swarm, Revo, Topgun, Playground Legends, FACK.

So that is 9 teams. Lets say 10 for the event to help make math easier. Each team will be required to play 4 prelim matches for a total of 40 prelim matches. PSP allocates 25 minutes per match. Assuming the same that makes over 16 hours for prelims alone. Obviously the event will have to be a 2 day event.

So the main question here is - Can the GPL run two day events? I would assume they would keep their 3man and 5 man divisions. So that would require the running of 2 fields on saturday and 3 on sunday. Something to think about.

Field Logistics-
The next big question is the logistics of running a Race-to-4 event. I do not doubt that GPL/OXCC have the abilites to make this happen. I know USPA was run out of OXCC which means that full pits with air lines must have been set up. The exact same will have to be done along with scoreboards and everything. This part I do not doubt will cause much concern for this debate.

Cost-
Like any business, an expansion will require more costs. These will involve paying extra refs/scoreboard keepers. Being a business I do not doubt that GPL will factor these costs into a plan that will still drive a profit at the end of the day.

Now the debate can be swung to the other side, and perhaps the biggest side, of the equation......

Teams

Cost-
This will probably be in no doubt the biggest deciding factor in if teams will even come out to a Race-to-4 event. Entry is a mute point. It is whatever the league will set it at and there is no way around it. Teams will decide amongst themselves if that will be affordable enough. The two variables in this equation will be traveling expenses and paint. The event will have to be two days. Can your team afford to travel for two days? Or an extra night at the hotel for that matter? This will be a small cost compared to paint.

The average team in a single match can shoot anywhere from 10 to 15 cases. If people think these numbers are inaccurate please let me know. Through prelims a team will shoot anywhere from 40 to 60 cases. Throw in 2 - 3 playoff matches and that number ranges from 60 - 100 cases all together. Going off of GPL's paint prices a teams paint bill can range from 2 to 5 thousand dollars. How that is divided up amongst players is an individual team's concern, but that is a number that every team must accept before even considering playing a Race-to-4 event.

Reasons to play -
Besides cost, a team must have a reason to play. Now obviously one reason that is undeniable is the excellence that GPL runs their events with. This part is undebatable. Prizes may be another concern. Obviously anything that can help offset event expenses is preferred to gear. The third part is experience. Teams playing these events will want a good enough experience to help prepare for PSP aka great competition.

I know this article is a little long winded, but I am tired and this is the best I can do right now. I have no motive for this article exactly, just to stir up the conversation as we move into the offseason. I am not saying that GPL needs a Race-to-4 division, but what I am trying to do is avoid what happened this season with 7 man. That is having a ton of teams begging for a format and it being offered. Then no one signing up and that leave a bad taste in everyone's mouths for awhile about that format being in the league. I am trying to make sure we take the time to think about this before jumping into something we cannot handle.

My personal idea is that this will generate alot of interest from teams, but possibly not enough to get a whole season's worth of events out of. I think if offered, the league should only do it at a couple events as a test. Perhaps twice a years at the even number of events or thrice a year at the odd number of events.

If anyone has anything to say to me in private about the topic please feel free to PM me

Here's to a productive offseason and the anxious anticipation for spring to get here soon.

Cheers
Old 10-25-2011, 02:36 PM #2
yanks914
Toomey.

Also for the sake of discussion let us assume that there will be no merger this offseason/no rule changes in PSP/GPL will stay the same. That will make any headaches a wee bit less severe.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:09 PM #3
Deimus85
Playground Legend

Deimus85 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Deimus85 plays in the PSP
Deimus85 is an NCPA National Champion
Deimus85 is Immortal
For the sake of this discussion, Playground Legends will be playing the full season of GPL in 2012. We will play in the highest division offered, with whatever format is offered. This is assuming that the cost to reward ratio stays the same or greater than the cost and prize list offered in 2011.

With that said, we also support the move for GPL offer a similar format to the Division 3 Race to X format offered by the PSP. Again, so long as the reward for playing such outweighs the cost.

For a division like the one we are discussing here, a prize list that would be deemed favorable would be something similar to what the NEPL offers.

Playground Legends/Fast Five/Drexel University NCPA Alumni/Bulldogs Athens Millennium/Washington Winstons
Feedback

Last edited by Deimus85 : 10-25-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Deimus85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:45 PM #4
crazyjester
PHD in Gun Whoring

crazyjester is playing at Living Legends V
crazyjester has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
i like
crazyjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:41 PM #5
yanks914
Toomey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimus85 View Post
For the sake of this discussion, Playground Legends will be playing the full season of GPL in 2012. We will play in the highest division offered, with whatever format is offered. This is assuming that the cost to reward ratio stays the same or greater than the cost and prize list offered in 2011.

With that said, we also support the move for GPL offer a similar format to the Division 3 Race to X format offered by the PSP. Again, so long as the reward for playing such outweighs the cost.

For a division like the one we are discussing here, a prize list that would be deemed favorable would be something similar to what the NEPL offers.

Just so everyone is on the same page....what NEPL prizes are you thinking of exactly because they have like 7 divisions. Are you suggesting GPL open up to the possibility of having all of those divisions?
Old 10-25-2011, 08:06 PM #6
Deimus85
Playground Legend

Deimus85 is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks914 View Post
Just so everyone is on the same page....what NEPL prizes are you thinking of exactly because they have like 7 divisions. Are you suggesting GPL open up to the possibility of having all of those divisions?
The prizes from the division similar to the format we are talking about.

Playground Legends/Fast Five/Drexel University NCPA Alumni/Bulldogs Athens Millennium/Washington Winstons
Feedback
Old 10-26-2011, 12:12 AM #7
yanks914
Toomey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimus85 View Post
The prizes from the division similar to the format we are talking about.
According to their website cash is the prize your talking about.....unless im mistaken
Old 10-26-2011, 08:11 AM #8
Deimus85
Playground Legend

Deimus85 is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks914 View Post
According to their website cash is the prize your talking about.....unless im mistaken
Yes, but also the series prize is entry to World Cup.

Feedback
Old 10-26-2011, 09:35 AM #9
KdogDReapers
KCrute #93

KdogDReapers owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
KdogDReapers owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I support a Race to X format too, would be a great idea.
KdogDReapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:20 PM #10
CONTRACTkiller_423

CONTRACTkiller_423 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CONTRACTkiller_423 is an NCPA player
CONTRACTkiller_423 supports Empire
Temple would be interested in a Race to 4 or Xball format.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:10 PM #11
hawk4128

we should probably start with a list of the teams that would be interested in this. If this is what we want, we need to show the league that there is legitimate interest in this format.
hawk4128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:10 AM #12
Tyler Hull
Tyler "Taz" Hull

Take Notes will be playing the D3 division next year. I would love to see a Race to 4 format!
Old 10-28-2011, 12:05 PM #13
357 Productions
www.gisportz.com

357 Productions is a Supporting Member
357 Productions owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I like the ideas and suggestions. Heres a something to think about when talking about this. Time. How long does it take to run lets say hypothectically - 25 teams in the Race 2 format compared to Race to 4. That is a HUGE factor. Just about all of the teams can only commit to a one day event. That is one of the beauties of the GPL/MAPL. Is it is a one day event. If we go to two days, costs just went up on teams and for me as well and I beleive the team numbers would go down.

As Deimus85 stated, you guys need to make sure the cost spent on the event for you guys is cost affective if you win, well same goes for me. Need to make sure its cost affective to run the event based on what is coming in from paint and entry.

Keep the ideas coming in. Def great discussion material for the off season as we prep for the 2012 Season.
357 Productions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:14 AM #14
Booyahkai

Booyahkai plays in the PSP
Booyahkai plays in the APPA D4 division
For D3 I suggest X-ball lite format. 10min halves and you play 2 matches in the prelims.
Booyahkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:25 AM #15
yanks914
Toomey.

Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to try to move to a two-day event for Race-to-4. It works for WCPPL. Of course I don't have any idea of the costs involved in that expansion, but I for one would be totally game for a two-day event
Old 10-31-2011, 10:23 PM #16
nicepants
I PLAY DPB

nicepants is a Supporting Member
nicepants plays in the PSP
nicepants plays in the APPA D3 division
Cindy. as far as times go. Instead of 8 teams playing a race to 2 format in each bracket... you play 4 teams race to 4.... Also with a lot less time in between points.. points would only run 2:00 min apart... then 5:00 inbetween matches with two teams in each pit. I know alot of time is spent finding teams to get on the field. If they only had two matches they wwould most likely be ready *no dodgy*

i also think gpl should follow psp's ranking system allowing 2 d3 players in d4 and two d2 players in d3... Getting alot more players out there.
nicepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:14 AM #17
yanks914
Toomey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepants View Post
Cindy. as far as times go. Instead of 8 teams playing a race to 2 format in each bracket... you play 4 teams race to 4.... Also with a lot less time in between points.. points would only run 2:00 min apart... then 5:00 inbetween matches with two teams in each pit. I know alot of time is spent finding teams to get on the field. If they only had two matches they wwould most likely be ready *no dodgy*

i also think gpl should follow psp's ranking system allowing 2 d3 players in d4 and two d2 players in d3... Getting alot more players out there.
That would make for approximately 6 hours per bracket for prelims.....then playoffs and what have you. Just to get the math out of the way for everyone lol
Old 11-01-2011, 12:30 AM #18
DrivnBYhate
Fuelled By Heart!

DrivnBYhate owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I like 2 day events..its more involved and fun
Reckless #29