Community Focus

Old 10-17-2011, 04:04 PM #1
paintballoliver

paintballoliver plays in the PSP
paintballoliver is playing at Living Legends VI
paintballoliver plays in the APPA D5 division
paintballoliver has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Bunkering

Anyway, after this weekend I was really curios on how to pull of a bunker. I relize the basics of running and shooting, but I have seen it two different ways. Either the person runs up and shoots the guy. Or the guy in the bunker pops out shoots the guy that is running and then they both get out. I guess the reason I don't like bunkering is because I don't want to run at them and then get shot, because then my team is down one player. So I guess what I am really trying to ask is that if you are bunkering someone, do you not stop until you get them out?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2011, 04:58 PM #2
youknowitall
Rick

You need to know when to move or if sacrificing yourself is going to give you any advantage.Most players I've seen run down the strip like idiots,get shot out and they lose because of show boating. Timing is everything. I hope that can satisfy some of that question.
youknowitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:00 PM #3
JD9940
Forever an AA's Fan

JD9940 supports Cereal Killerz 2
JD9940 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
JD9940 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
JD9940 plays in the APPA D4 division
JD9940 supports DLX Technology
it takes timing and practice
learn to see where the person you're thinking about bunkering is looking/shooting.
as a snake player when i see there's no one shooting down the tape that's when i get up to run down the other teams snake guy

Action Star Games
JD9940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:24 PM #4
paintballoliver

paintballoliver plays in the PSP
paintballoliver is playing at Living Legends VI
paintballoliver plays in the APPA D5 division
paintballoliver has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I start a bunker when I see the other players barrel shooting someone else, but sometimes there is another bunker in the way, would I just wait till I hear his shots to run up.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:02 PM #5
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

eforcegtid00d plays in the PSP
eforcegtid00d owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
One of the ways to reduce the chance of getting shot early is to have your gun lined up with them as you run. If they come out to shoot, all you have to do is pull the trigger and you're looking at a worst case scenario of trading out, which is probably ok if you're making the move. If there's coaching, I usually shoot their bunker or their coach as I run to make sure they can't hear enough to make sense of what's going on. You'll make more friends shooting the bunker
eforcegtid00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:08 PM #6
smokeage
Team Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballoliver View Post
I start a bunker when I see the other players barrel shooting someone else, but sometimes there is another bunker in the way, would I just wait till I hear his shots to run up.
There are a lot of different variables when doing a runthrough which im not going to go into but to answer your question you want to get as close as possible, using cover, before you dedicate yourself to the run-through.

Using the WC layout for an example. Lets say you are in D1 and the guy you want to do the run-through on is in your mirror. You want to move up to the temple and then to the 50-D before doing the run-through. I wouldnt go to the second temple unless you know he is gun-battling one of your teammates on the inside.

There are multiple reasons for this:

1. He might not be the only player left on the field. Moving bunker to bunker allows you to "bunker-up" and resume gun fighting if something comes up.

2. It's quieter. If you are sprinting halfway down the field to do the run through then he is probably going to hear you coming and might pop out and shoot you. Moving bunker to bunker is generally quieter and will allow you to close the distance without him knowing it.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:27 PM #7
apocalypse405

apocalypse405 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
apocalypse405 supports Team VICIOUS
apocalypse405 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforcegtid00d
One of the ways to reduce the chance of getting shot early is to have your gun lined up with them as you run. If they come out to shoot, all you have to do is pull the trigger and you're looking at a worst case scenario of trading out, which is probably ok if you're making the move. If there's coaching, I usually shoot their bunker or their coach as I run to make sure they can't hear enough to make sense of what's going on. You'll make more friends shooting the bunker
Lol=}
ask me about my Reverse regal geo 2.1 it's for sale
[color="Red"]Huge gearbag sale, new sponsors means out with the old in with the new: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3931720
apocalypse405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:21 AM #8
ThisWontHurt
Official MidWest Streamer

Annual Supporting Member
ThisWontHurt supports Team VICIOUS
ThisWontHurt posts videos on PbNation
ThisWontHurt supports Pev's Paintball
ThisWontHurt plays in the APPA D5 division
ThisWontHurt has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ThisWontHurt has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Tenants to live by:
1) Don't wipe. It's cheating and make all your victories hollow.
2) Don't bonus ball during rec play. Those new players are the future of our sport.
4) Only an child abusing ******* would punch a kid. If he's bad teach him to be good. If he's good teach him to be better.

Like Us on Facebook

Last edited by eforce : 11-16-2011 at 01:25 PM.
ThisWontHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:32 PM #9
mgatti
Xandata Pump Team

mgatti owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
mgatti is for the Gunfight
mgatti supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisWontHurt View Post

Tenants to live by:
1) Don't wipe. It's cheating and make all your victories hollow.
2) Don't bonus ball during rec play. Those new players are the future of our sport.
4) Only an child abusing ******* would punch a kid. If he's bad teach him to be good. If he's good teach him to be better.
i really like the second part of your comment 1 - 4 very very crucial

Last edited by eforce : 11-16-2011 at 01:25 PM.
mgatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:25 PM #10
Coenen
K-K-k-k-YEAH!

has been a member for 10 years
Coenen plays in the MiLP
Coenen owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Coenen supports Team VICIOUS
Coenen plays in the APPA D4 division
Where's 3 in that list? I remember that quote, it's in some thread about "The most awesome thing you've ever done in paintball," which quickly became over run with people making up stories about how great they were. Hence the hyperbole about wiping, bunkering and punching. Viewed in context it was great fun.

ON TOPIC:
Bunkering is all about timing and trading bodies smartly. Watch games, or even start playing back here and there so you can build up your field awareness and get a better feel for what makes opportunities open up and when/how to exploit them. Eventually this should all become almost instinctual, you'll be able to see little cues that will tell you immediately whether or not you can make the move. That'll take time and some hard won experience to develop, don't get discouraged. Lots of players leave big moves on the field because they're too busy worrying about getting shot and looking stupid, rather than shooting the other guy and winning the game. Now on to the nuts and bolts...

Rule 1 is that you've got to shoot your man. Sounds dumb, but it's true. At the risk of sounding bad here, if you are in a serious setting, such as a tournament, you've got to get some paint on the other guy. Even if he shoots you back, even if he may shoot you first. Many refs don't want to deal with deciding who shot whom first when it's a split second decision, the two outcomes you want are either a clean bunkering, or at the very least a mutual. If you get to the point where you can see the guy, he must have paint on him before you get pulled. Practice bunkering static targets like cones or boxes to get a feel for it, place them at different depths and positions behind the target bunker, especially in the snake where a guy may not be where you expect him.

Rule 2 is that you've got to commit to the move. When you decide it's time to go get someone; GO. GET. THEM. If you've picked a good time, it'll work out. Halfway to the bad guy's bunker, in the middle of nowhere, is a bad time to rethink whether or not running through was a good idea. Either it was or it wasn't, if it works, great. If not, think through what went wrong, whether it was something you did, something the other guy did or just plain bad luck and apply it to the future. If you're worried about it, or the run is exceptionally far, find of an intermediary bunker where you can check up if you don't think you can take the guy in one go. Either way, it's forward progress and more pressure on the other team.

Rule 3, things go wrong. The best run through I ever had a chance to do went completely sideways on me because I failed to execute Rule 1. I was in great position at the X, watched the back center shift fire to the snake side, the 30 can shift fire to the dorito side and the center dorito go to reload. I had a shot to run down all three of them. I went for it. I completely whiffed on bunkering the very first guy and got blasted. Things. GO. Wrong. Recognize this fact, don't get discouraged, move forward.

Rule 4, don't swing wide. Lots of guys try to protect themselves by swinging wide around their victim's bunker. Run straight at it, with your gun up and ready to react to anything that may happen while you're on your way. If you can, pick a side at the very last second and come around relatively tight. In the snake obviously, the equation is a bit different, unless you plan to jump over and come down the highway (field side) of the snake rather than the sideline. Whether or not to shoot during the move is usually up for debate, that'll be something you have to decide for yourself. Shooting your way down-field might advertise your presence, or if you've been putting a lot of heat on your man all game, he may not think twice about it. That will come as you gain experience.

Basically, the more you do it, the better you're going to get at it. Just practice the fundamental aspects of it, use your head and stay positive if it takes you a while to get a feel for it.

TL;DR - SEE; RULE 1
BLACK '07+ Planet Eclipse OOPS
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:22 AM #11
mgatti
Xandata Pump Team

mgatti owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
mgatti is for the Gunfight
mgatti supports Sherwood Forest
along with those points i just read i would like to add keep your gun up .... the play you are going to " lay the hammer " on might come out expecting/not expecting you to be there but like Coenen said its not gonna work if you never put paint on him. With your gun up you are inableing yourself to shoot when needed as apose to getting shot for nothing . I know on my first ever bunker move I got lit up because I didnt keep my gun up while running .
mgatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:10 PM #12
Coenen
K-K-k-k-YEAH!

has been a member for 10 years
Coenen plays in the MiLP
Coenen owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Coenen supports Team VICIOUS
Coenen plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgatti View Post
along with those points i just read i would like to add keep your gun up .... the play you are going to " lay the hammer " on might come out expecting/not expecting you to be there but like Coenen said its not gonna work if you never put paint on him. With your gun up you are inableing yourself to shoot when needed as apose to getting shot for nothing . I know on my first ever bunker move I got lit up because I didnt keep my gun up while running .
Indeed. In this day and age of guns that shoot a bajillion BPS with little or no effort involved you should be able to do almost everything on the field "gun-up." When you're moving especially, you should be following your gun down the field, even if you're not shooting all the way. Next time you play, try and press a move here or there by getting your gun rolling and just following that stream of paint downfield. You may be surprised at the results it yields.
BLACK '07+ Planet Eclipse OOPS
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:15 AM #13
Devour813

Practice and getting knowlege from the experts at your field is everything. Also, don't bonus ball.
Devour813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:56 PM #14
Irish916
eThug

Irish916 plays in the PSP
Bunkering is most often done late in the game. This is when it's safest, but there's also situations where you have a quick second to run and shoot 2-3 guys out even if you die to make a big play and give your team some momentum.

Make sure you know everything that's going on, who's shooting in which direction, who can shoot you, who can't, etc.

Try running straight towards their bunker and breaking left or right at last minute, their coach can't tell them which side your running on, and they can't hear you coming from one side of them.