Annual Supporting Member
Vicious49 plays in the USPL
Vicious49 plays in the PSP
Vicious49 owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
Vicious49 supports Pev's Paintball
Vicious49 plays in the APPA D4 division
Vicious49 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Thoughts/Reviews from those who have used it

Ben has already taken pics 100 times better than I could so I can skip that. I figured those of us who have used an Etha can post our thoughts about it here.

It does come in very nice packaging. Pretty much what you'd expect from any of PE's guns. The case is a different design and a bit bigger than their usual ones. It comes with the color manual and spares and all that.

When I was sent this gun, my first thought was 'I'm the wrong target audience for this'. I'm used to shooting Egos and highend guns. Giving me something without an LCD screen immediately makes me go . I had to get myself in the mindset that I can't compare this to $1200-$1300 guns. I have to remember that this is 1/3 of the price and compare it to lower end guns I've used in the past. If you go in thinking 'how is this VS a Luxe or VS an NT or VS a Geo' you've already done the gun a disservice. It's like comparing a Ferrari to an Accord.

I'm not big on the composite frame and the grips. But once again, I had to remind myself it's not an Ego. So when thinking of it compared to say a Proto, it doesn't seem as bad. The light on the back that blinks was very annoying when I turned it on at home. But when using it on the field, you don't really notice it.

It has the SL3 reg, a nice on/off, and a clamping feedneck. Does the trigger feel as nice as an Ego trigger? No. But when comparing to a PMR or DP whatever, it's on par or better. I was able to shoot a decent speed with it right out of the box despite my slow fingers.

Weightwise, it's pretty light. No complaints there. The one thing that heard the most from people was that it shoots very straight. The one drawback I heard the most was that it's not as smooth as such and such gun. But like I said, I'm the wrong target audience and so are a lot of the guys I was lending it to. It does have more kick than a Geo or DM but I'm used to shooting Egos so I didn't notice it as much.

I never really did an actual efficiency test but I do know I was able to shoot 2 bags of paint off a 68/45 and still had some air left in the tank.

I think where it really shines is reliability. I've tried lower end markers before and hated them. You'd air up a PMR and blow a noid gasket. Or you'd grab an old Shocker and have bolt stick. I had 2 Etha's and both worked fine every day with no bolt stick or reliability issues. I took them out of the box and shot them with doing no maintenance or lubing to them (aside from the 1 time Jack forced me to so I could tell him how difficult or easy maintenance is on it).

In conclusion, there might be guns in the price range that are a bit smoother or are just as light but I don't think any of them are as reliable. You can't go in thinking this will replace my $1400 gun but if you go in with the right mindset you will not be disappointed.

That's about as honest as I can be on my review. Hope that helps.
Vicious49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2011, 11:56 AM #2
DGenerate23
Gun for Hire

Annual Supporting Member
DGenerate23 donated to help Peyton Trent
DGenerate23 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DGenerate23 supports Team VICIOUS
DGenerate23 supports our troops
DGenerate23 plays in the APPA D5 division
DGenerate23 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
vicious i was thinking of selling my mini (which backups my etek and ego9) how does this compare to a mini

DGenerate23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:03 PM #3
Vicious49
Excelsior!

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGenerate23 View Post
vicious i was thinking of selling my mini (which backups my etek and ego9) how does this compare to a mini
I've personally never been a fan of the mini due to the small size and spacing of it. Not to mention that awkward shaped reg. It was never comfortable for me so I can't really comment on it.

I think the Etha would make a great backup gun since there's only so much it can depreciate (from $400 to $200 as opposed to from $1250 to $650) and it is reliable.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:53 PM #4
Disruptive
Disruptive Paintball

Disruptive is BST Trusted
Disruptive plays in the PSP
Disruptive plays in the APPA D4 division
I have spent several weeks shooting the Etha. The Etha and the Geo are completely different guns. Internally, different from all other Eclipse guns. I will tell you I have over 15 cases of Ultra Evil through my Etha and have had zero ball breaks. The gun is also very efficient. I am getting 7 pods out of a 45/4500 tank. Accuracy is also very impressive with the Etha. I believe it to be one of the more accurate guns on the market. Ergonomically this guns gets a gold metal over the mini. The Etha has a very similar feel in the hands to the Geo. Now, compared to the Geo shooting the gun is a little louder and will not be as smooth. But we must keep in mind the price point. However, this is an amazing marker and a great gun for any tournament or new player. I had no problem putting down my SL91 to shoot the Etha for a bit. I would recommend this gun to any tournament player as a solid back up!

Ryan Lovato
Owner of Disruptive Paintball
520-320-0333 / 520-293-5850
Disruptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:08 PM #5
DGenerate23
Gun for Hire

Annual Supporting Member
DGenerate23 donated to help Peyton Trent
DGenerate23 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DGenerate23 supports Team VICIOUS
DGenerate23 supports our troops
DGenerate23 plays in the APPA D5 division
DGenerate23 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
the only thing i actually liked about my mini was its weight so that would be my biggest concern as to how they are close its more for my 10 yr old to use anyway

DGenerate23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:33 PM #6
Uziel Gal
It's not a Geo2, honest..

Uziel Gal donated to help Peyton Trent
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Uziel Gal supports our troops
I've only recently been sent an Etha to try, so may not have the level of experience that some testers may already have, but I'll give you my experiences so far anyway. It's worth pointing out that I was specifically asked to use the marker without referring too much to the manual - to gauge how easily someone could get on with the marker if they just picked it up and used it. Keep this in mind, as it does effect some aspects of the markers performance. It's also worth mentioning that this marker had already been used for testing prior to being sent to myself, so there is no telling how much use it has seen, and how well it has been looked after.

I don't think the case is as nice looking as the shiny Ego9/Geo cases, nor does it have the cool factor of the soft, zip up carry bags of the Ego10 et al. However, it does appear to be a strong, protective case, and the moulded in handle does make it more practical than the previous generations of hard cases, particularly for those players who do not have a kit bag, and for whom this may be the only means of both storing and carrying the marker.

Inside the case, I was particularly impressed with how complete the spares kit has become. It was almost like purchasing the 'Comprehensive Parts Kit' that was marketed for older Egos, but with a smaller number of each part included, but it certainly looked like every part you were likely to need was included. It was also nice to see that Planet included a version of the Shaft4 barrel rather than sticking with the Etek3 version of the Shaft3, and that you get the latest SL3 reg rather than the Etek3's S3 reg.

I'd have to say that the grips aren't as comfortable as Planet's soft grips, but the hard panels should wear better, and there are soft inserts on the sides to improve comfort and grip beyond what you would have if they were just hard panel grips. They are secured with one screw per side, with a hook at the top of each panel that clips to the inside of the frame.

One thing I would mention about the frame, is that it seems quite deep when measured from the thumb strap to the trigger. People with small hands may find it a bit of a stretch.

The trigger is mounted on brass bushings, unlike the synthetic trigger carrier in the Etek3 or the roller bearing mounted trigger of the newer Egos and the Geos. As Vicious stated, no the trigger isn't as smooth as a roller bearing trigger, but it is smoother than the trigger in the Etek3.

The user interface uses a single multi-coloured LED for feed back in use and for programming, and trigger sensing is via a microswitch - there is no optical switch. Programming will be somewhat familiar to Etek users, though it has been changed to simplify matters. It used to be that all values had to be entered in multiples of tens, units and tenths. Even if the parameter you were changing could only have a value in units - the firing mode being the obvious example - you still had to enter a zero value for tens and tenths. While programming is very simple once you know, it is rather alien to people used to other platforms. Now, you only have to concern yourself with units and tenths, with the unit value ranging from 1-15 (depending on the exact parameter). Parameters that only have a unit value no longer require a zero value to be added for the tenths.

One new feature for the Etek3 board was an adjustable ramp reset delay. While making the board more versatile, this did raise a lot of questions as to why people's markers did not have the three shot burst in ramping - out of the box, the reset delay was set to zero, and you needed to increase the value for the burst feature to function. As the vast majority of people would either set this parameter to zero (Millennium ramping) or one second (PSP), Planet have gone back to having two separate, pre-programmed ramp modes, and removed the adjustable delay to simplify programming and avoid confusion.

A couple of the markers I have tested previously, after heavy usage, have developed leaks from the ASA when screwing in the knob, and this has sometimes caused the ASA to jam open, so your tank just empties while you desperately try and free the knob. It may be as much a matter of tank reg pin length as an issue with the ASA itself, and if it is down to a leaky ASA, that is something that can be fixed readily enough with cleaning or new o-rings. Still a bugger when it happens though. No such issues so far with the Etha's new Angel A1 style ASA. I had wondered if the knob may be hard to turn, as it is pretty smooth, with just some low ribs for grip, but it turns very easily.

In use, I have found the Etha to be fairly loud, but as I said up front, I was asked to just pick up and shoot the marker, so I haven't done any tuning or setting up with this marker, so that may have some impact. All I did was screw in the tank, clamp on a loader, fill it with paint and shoot. Other than roughly adjusting the velocity, it was gas up and go.

Likewise, I would suspect that I could get better efficiency with some tuning. Sticking with the "gas up and go" brief, I used the stock barrel, so there may be gains to be had from a different barrel with better ball fit, though fit wasn't too bad with the paint I was using. My experiences so far have pretty much mirrored Vici's, getting through 1000 shots from a 68/4500 filled to around 4300psi, with 700-800psi left in the tank.

There is hardly any barrel rise in rapid fire up to 15bps (this is the stock board's maximum cap in ramping) - it's very controllable and easy to hold on aim. Paintguns don't really have recoil - not in the way that firearms do at any rate - but in so much as any marker "kicks", the Etha doesn't kick to any real degree. What it does have is that vibration on firing that the original Geo's exhibited, but here the vibration is a little more noticeable.

I haven't had any chops or barrel breaks yet, despite having shot some very old paint, some of which was off round.

Last edited by Uziel Gal : 10-14-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Typos.
Uziel Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:09 PM #7
Vicious49
Excelsior!

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uziel Gal View Post
It's worth pointing out that I was specifically asked to use the marker without referring too much to the manual - to gauge how easily someone could get on with the marker if they just picked it up and used it. Keep this in mind, as it does effect some aspects of the markers performance.
Hahaha. That's pretty much how all my testing goes. I pick them up and shoot them. Even when Jack asked me to take the bolt apart and lube it, I saw the manual had 5 pages on the bolt alone and said 'screw that'. I took it apart best I could and lubed where I thought lube might need to go. That might lead to some bolt stick in the future if I didn't do it right but hopefully Jack will get out an Etha lubing vid soon.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:26 PM #8
deaton
aka Melonhead

deaton owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Is it appropriate for us to ask questions of the reviewers in here? If so, here is what I also asked in the News section.

I'm wondering if it will be similar to the Mini in the fact that the bolt spring needed to be broken in. I remember when I got my Mini(s) I would turn the back cap in and dry fire an entire 68/45 to break in that spring. I'm not asking if I should dry fire this marker to break it in, but does performance noticeably change over time as the marker beds in?

Vicious, if you had to guess, how much paint did you put through the Ethas you tested and did you notice any change in performance as the marker was used more?

Last edited by deaton : 10-14-2011 at 02:50 PM.
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:48 PM #9
Vicious49
Excelsior!

Annual Supporting Member
I don't know the exact amount. Since those pics got released I've been mostly lending them out to people and seeing what their feedback was. I think they shoot about the same as when I first got them. But remember, I don't 'tune' any guns.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:51 PM #10
deaton
aka Melonhead

Thanks
Old 10-14-2011, 03:18 PM #11
Shecki
Clockwork Clothing

Annual Supporting Member
Shecki is a Supporting Member
Shecki plays in the PSP
Shecki owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Shecki owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Shecki supports our troops
Shecki plays in the APPA D3 division
Well, I'm not much of a talker when it comes to in-depth gun reviews...but I thought it would be worth a couple of words to give my take on my experiance with the Etha. I recieved the gun a little while back and was asked to put as much paint as I could through the gun.

When the Etha showed up, I was surprised from the minute I had pulled it out of the box. From what I was told this was to be marketed as an entry level marker. I was surprised to see that nothing was held back in terms of packaging. It came shipped no differently than any of the other Eclipse markers I've had in the past. A nice new case (see Mr. Johnson's rediculously good photos), and packaged inside all of the same things you get with a new Eclipse gun at a much higher price point ; a complete and extensive spares kit, full tube of lube, full set of ball ended hex keys, same quality manual as an ego/geo/etek, and a barrel bag.
When I took a closer look at the marker and barrel....the first thing that I was surprised to see was that it came with, what is essentialy, a shaft4....just not quite as milled out. Then my curiousty had me pulling of the reg to see what was in there...and to my surprise...an SL3 reg. Well...what's an SL3 go for? $80 itself....and the sharft4? $90 as a 2 piece....so I was already pretty impressed...but still had no idea what the price point was at the gun. When I found out that it was selling at $395...I was more than surprised.

Other things I really liked, are things some of the guys have commented that they weren't huge fans of. First and foremost...the frame. As crazy as this may sound...I prefer it to the aluminum. Having bent a fram before...I'd just rather have a frame that I know isn't going to bend or break, can be slammed around as much as I abuse it, and still be just as good as the day I pulled it out of the box. I spend most of my time on the ground banging around...so this is a welcome addition to me. The grips also I enjoyed. One less screw and they seem sturdy and have rubber strips on them...so grip was zero issue for me. Plus...they're less prone to wearing through and should need much less replacing, if any at all as opposed to the standard grips.

I recieved the gun and was imediately at the field the next two days. For the first time in a LONG time...I took to the woods as a walk on, by myself....at a field I've never been to so that I could just have a good time with the gun. I also play on both an Xball team, and a 7man team...and had practice with both the next day....so I got to run both formats, both firing modes, and the gun performed flawlessly the entire weeked. Not a single break down, not a single leak, shooting in the 280's, and consistant....right from the box. I've had the gun on the field just about every weekend since then as well...and haven't had any issues with the gun.

The Etha is no Geo...and no Ego. It certainly does not shoot quite as smooth as either of those guns, and nor should it for a small fraction of the price. It's not quite as quiet as either of those guns either. But I will tell you this, I plan on shooting the Etha at World Cup next week. It's an extremely solid platform, which had proven (to me) to be gentle on paint, is a workhorse of a gun, and at that price...is an absolute steal. It's a great gun that someone getting into any aspect of the game, can use...and trasition from the woods to a sup air field and vice versa without having to change out a single thing on the gun.

Some of my guys on Shipyard Ale's paintball team will chime in here as well. I've had them shooting the gun at practice at well...and they've seemed to be very happy with the way the gun performed on the field

Original Feedback

Clockwork Clothing

For all of your printed apparel needs ! ! !

Last edited by Shecki : 10-14-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Shecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:06 PM #12
blklight
Battle Rapping

blklight plays in the PSP
blklight plays in the APPA D4 division
Anyone who has used one have experience with shooting at lower fps? Most reball fields require 220-240 fps, as well as some paint tournaments that are ran on smaller fields.

Also, does the Etha have anything similar to the GST donuts for shooting at lower velocities?

PAINTBALL CLUB OF CHOCTAW
http://paintballclubofchoctaw.com
blklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:26 PM #13
phatty363

phatty363 plays in the APPA D4 division
phatty363 supports DLX Technology
is the etha better than the eteck?
i have a eteck but it sucks with accuracy
i wanna get a geo but i want to save some cash in doing so
looking at the etha
im fine with having a litte cheaper gun
my main focus is accuracy, speed and comfort

if i am playing a d3 psp would teh etha be able to do what i want it to?

XFT

phatty363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:18 PM #14
ezekiel2517lim
One of the 5 best rappers

ezekiel2517lim plays in the PSP
ezekiel2517lim supports Cereal Killerz 2
ezekiel2517lim is an NCPA player
Now that I know how much the marker costs, I'm very impressed with the Etha. Out the box, the marker's trigger was very bouncy. I was playing at Semi 15 capped, and I could walk the trigger and it would keep shooting from the kick. This was fixed by changing spring tension, but I think PE should up the debounce 1ms more stock. The grips I think could have been better, considering the grips that are stock with the Etek series marker are superior than those currently on the Etha I shot.

Ergonomically, the marker is comfortable to play with. A good length like the Geo2; long enough to create a stable platform for "running and gunning", but not too long where snap-shooting in tight spots become a problem. As I previously stated, the grips are the my only dislike. I love the composite frame too. Its just as strong as a metal one, and lighter. I gave that gun a good beating the day I used it cause I was told to. The Etha held up real well with my reckless style of play.

In the shadow of the Geo and Geo2, the Etha does well. Shooting the Etha was reminiscent of my Geo without the GST kit. Next to the Geo2 in terms of smoother shot, it doesn't compare, but that should be an obvious notion. The shot was relatively flat at an average 287 fps out of box. I like to do a lot of lob shots and blind shots, and I think because of how flat the shot was I was having more difficulty making those shots. I believe the paint we were shooting that day was Evil Ultra.

Efficiency was what I expected from the marker. The day I shot the maker, I averaged about 2.5-3 pods from ~1500 psi. The tank I was using that day was a Crossfire 68/4500 with the Crossfire Low Pressure regulator at 400psi output. So I imagined about 8 pods from a full 4500 fill. 8 pods is plenty of paint for most players, certainly more than enough for an aggressive player such as myself.

Comparing the marker to other guns I've shot in the similar price range ($350-$500), I think it does well. Its shot patterns I thought were similar to the Etek and the DP Fusion FX. My Axe stock had a tougher shot than the Etha, i.e more kick. When I put an aftermarket bolt and spring kit in the Axe, it was considerably smoother than the stock Etha. When I group all 4 markers at MSRP I would place the Etha at the top, followed by the Axe, then the Etek and DP Fx respectively.

Overall I think the Etha is going to be a top contender with the Axe for the number one spot in the Mid-Range market. Aside from the grips (BETTER GRIPS!) the marker out performs the Axe in my eyes. Right now in the Mid-Range pool the Axe is keeping its head above the water by being shot by Pro and D1 teams. Put the Etha in the hands of a pro team and customer service that we all know and love from Planet Eclipse, the Etha will out swim the Axe. You might as well call the marker Michael Phelps.

Last edited by ezekiel2517lim : 10-14-2011 at 06:25 PM.
ezekiel2517lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:29 PM #15
xluben
Ben Johnson Photography

Annual Supporting Member
xluben is a Paintball photographer
xluben plays in the PSP
xluben owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
xluben posts videos on PbNation
xluben owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
I'd have to disagree on the grips. It is absolutely all personal preference, but I think they feel great, and it appears that they will actually last. All of the previous Eclipse soft/sticky grips last me 3-6 months and then tear and need to be replaced. Probably 2 or 3 dozen cases of paint worth of play time and then they're shot. I think these firmer panel grips will last the lifetime of the gun.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:43 PM #16
Shecki
Clockwork Clothing

Annual Supporting Member
Shecki plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shecki View Post
The grips also I enjoyed. One less screw and they seem sturdy and have rubber strips on them...so grip was zero issue for me. Plus...they're less prone to wearing through and should need much less replacing, if any at all as opposed to the standard grips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xluben View Post
I'd have to disagree on the grips. It is absolutely all personal preference, but I think they feel great, and it appears that they will actually last. All of the previous Eclipse soft/sticky grips last me 3-6 months and then tear and need to be replaced. Probably 2 or 3 dozen cases of paint worth of play time and then they're shot. I think these firmer panel grips will last the lifetime of the gun.
+2 on the grips. I thought they were well thought out. I'm usually not a fan of panels....but these are so recessed in...that it doesn't feel like panels at all.

Original Feedback

Clockwork Clothing

Old 10-14-2011, 08:52 PM #17
D1PP1N

Annual Supporting Member
D1PP1N has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
D1PP1N has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
D1PP1N supports DLX Technology
It seems to have a low sound signature in the video and one review said it's quite loud. Is it quieter than an etek/ego but louder than geo2.1?
D1PP1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:15 PM #18
phatty363

phatty363 plays in the APPA D4 division
phatty363 supports DLX Technology
You guys who are shooting the ethas
Wwhy arnt you posting videos of youtube to give others a look
This gun is brand new and I along with a few other people would love to see this gun in action and just the details on it

I feel like with this gun PE is reaching out more to woods
All the videos and pictures I see are all in the woods
And as a spedballer that doesn't float my boat

I wanna see this gun shoot and perform before I order it

XFT

phatty363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:29 PM #19
Vicious49
Excelsior!

Annual Supporting Member
I don't have a camera or way to upload it from my phone since I don't have a data plan.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:36 AM #20
Shecki
Clockwork Clothing

Annual Supporting Member
Shecki plays in the PSP
I don't shoot video either. I have used it in all formats though, will be shooting it tomorrow at practice for cup, and I'll be shooting it at World Cup as well. My Ego11 will be sitting in my gear bag. It's certainly no slouch in a tournament setting, and will suit any tournament player just fine.

Original Feedback

Clockwork Clothing

Old 10-15-2011, 10:31 AM #21
Uziel Gal
It's not a Geo2, honest..

Uziel Gal donated to help Peyton Trent
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Uziel Gal supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty363 View Post
is the etha better than the eteck?
i have a eteck but it sucks with accuracy
i wanna get a geo but i want to save some cash in doing so
looking at the etha
im fine with having a litte cheaper gun
my main focus is accuracy, speed and comfort

if i am playing a d3 psp would teh etha be able to do what i want it to?
In many respects, that is like asking, "Is the Geo better than the Ego". That basically boils down to whether you prefer spools to rammer and poppet markers. Both markers have their advantages and disadvantages in comparison to each other, and which advantage you want, and which disadvantages you are willing to live with, will most likely come down to personal preference or specific needs you have.

OK, here we are dealing with more of a pressure controlled poppet arrangement rather than a spool, but it is still very different to a rammer and poppet style marker.

The inline valving and bolt cycle may make for a more stable platform than Etek3, so maybe you would find the Etha easier to hold on aim in rapid fire, but as far as single shots are concerned, there really shouldn't be any reason for the Etek to be any less accurate than any other marker.

The Etha has the new Shaft4 style barrel, SL3 reg and new ASA with front macroline fitting. These items could all be considered better than the equivalent items on the Etek3. I would also say that the trigger pull was smoother.

As for whether it is suitable for D3 PSP play, yes, no doubt. I'm sure that it could be used at any level of play you wished, but then again, so could the Etek3.
Uziel Gal is offline   Reply With Quote