Community Focus

Old 06-06-2013, 02:14 PM #1
bulldogg_pupp

bulldogg_pupp owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
bulldogg_pupp has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
bulldogg_pupp has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
bulldogg_pupp has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Etha bolt rub question??

Alright I'm a seasoned paintball player and know the ins and outs of most markers. I bought the Etha blind not doing any research on it before I made my purchase so I wasn't influenced in any way to buy it. I thought its planet eclipse they make solid guns so it has to be good plus with past experience with my ego 5 the customer service was top notch. So I played it was an amazing shooter for its status. As I broke down the gun to clean it and lube it up to see how everything was going after the first time using it I noticed that the spring was possibly rubbing on the bolt causing it to leave some spring rub on the stock bolt. I was wondering if anyone in the Etha community has seen anything like this on their bolt? I already emailed Aaron and Nicky T about this and Aaron said that Nicky should be looking into it and seeing if this could be a potential problem later down the road. Just post up if you have noticed anything.

Shockers,Proto Matrix UL'd PM5, Shocker Parts, Halo FS/FT
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3962736
bulldogg_pupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2013, 02:54 PM #2
crPaliza

crPaliza owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
I do notice that the rubber bolt tip eventually wears out the way you describe. I've contacted PE about this before and what they recommend is to apply a light film of lube on just the tip.

That said,
I've replaced my bolt tip maybe just 2-3 times tops over the year and a half period that I've owned the marker.
crPaliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:19 PM #3
bulldogg_pupp

Quote:
Originally Posted by crPaliza View Post
I do notice that the rubber bolt tip eventually wears out the way you describe. I've contacted PE about this before and what they recommend is to apply a light film of lube on just the tip.

That said,
I've replaced my bolt tip maybe just 2-3 times tops over the year and a half period that I've owned the marker.
I wasn't talking about the rubber tip I am talking about the spring rubbing on the bolt during cycling. I have seen some rub on my bolt so I'm trying to see how many more owners have seen this on their bolts. If you shoot a lot it's going to wear that bolt tip down and it's a cheaper replaced part. A new bolt is gonna cost about 100x the cost of that rubber tip.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:12 AM #4
7paintball
Service at its best.

7paintball is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogg_pupp View Post

I wasn't talking about the rubber tip I am talking about the spring rubbing on the bolt during cycling. I have seen some rub on my bolt so I'm trying to see how many more owners have seen this on their bolts. If you shoot a lot it's going to wear that bolt tip down and it's a cheaper replaced part. A new bolt is gonna cost about 100x the cost of that rubber tip.
This is a good question. I will look into it as well. I have a few Ethas sitting in the shop for some minor repairs. I will look to see if any of those have the same problem you described.

7pbA wants to buy your used gear!

Certified Planet Eclipse & Tippmann Tech Center
7paintball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:31 AM #5
Bill.B

Bill.B owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
My etha bolt has scratches from the bolt spring but this should be normal seeing as it is a spring return mechanism.

PE knew that the spring would scratch up the bolt which is why they decided to go with a stainless steel bolt. Thus giving the bolt a much longer wear life than if it were made of aluminum, delrin, etc.

The scratches are inevitable. I have them but it has not changed the performance of my etha and the stock bolt still has many, many cycles left. Maybe if PE did the same spring design that KEE did with their mini/axe with one side of the spring being larger than the other. Seems like it would wear less.

If anyone want to correct me on this feel free.
Bill.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:03 PM #6
bulldogg_pupp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill.B View Post
My etha bolt has scratches from the bolt spring but this should be normal seeing as it is a spring return mechanism.

PE knew that the spring would scratch up the bolt which is why they decided to go with a stainless steel bolt. Thus giving the bolt a much longer wear life than if it were made of aluminum, delrin, etc.

The scratches are inevitable. I have them but it has not changed the performance of my etha and the stock bolt still has many, many cycles left. Maybe if PE did the same spring design that KEE did with their mini/axe with one side of the spring being larger than the other. Seems like it would wear less.

If anyone want to correct me on this feel free.
Bill I do agree with you and I know that the mini/axe spring is very efficient in its use and design. I think the biggest issue with the Etha spring is that the stainless bolt has a greater mass to move and return. My suggestion was to use a thinner coil spring with the same tension as the stock spring.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:44 PM #7
Bill.B

They would have to test such a spring. Honestly it's fine either way.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:17 PM #8
bulldogg_pupp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill.B View Post
They would have to test such a spring. Honestly it's fine either way.
I would be willing to beta test it for them and I've already started looking for a comparable spring that is thinner is diameter but just as strong as the stock

Old 06-16-2013, 06:06 AM #9
aezad2877
Rat a tat tat

Quote:
Originally Posted by crPaliza View Post

That said,

i'm having this kind of problem right now which is spring rub and missing bolt tip.. 1st got ball break inside.. clean it n noticed the tip is gone.. last Thursday play with my friends and notice the marker got loud sound and i think it just temporary.. but i do noticed that the paint were not going smoothly.. Finish my game, back at home i noticed the spring rub n the tip is gone.. only after 2 box of paint..

any help?
Old 06-16-2013, 08:18 AM #10
Bill.B

I noticed on my bolt spring that one side fits slightly more snug than the other. I took a sharpie and colored the snug side so I don't forget and it works just fine. My bolt tip does have a few chew marks where the tip and bolt join. Since doing this though I check it after every time I play and I haven't seen anymore wear.