Old 10-13-2011, 08:30 PM #1
J. Stein

J. Stein is a Supporting Member
J. Stein is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
J. Stein plays in the PSP
J. Stein donated to help Peyton Trent
The Story Behind Assault

OK, this is a long read. I copied it from the ProPaintball smack talk box. It took the better part of a day for all this to come out. It is the mostly unedited heartfelt words of the owner and coach of Assault.
Enjoy. But, more importantly, learn.

Please keep in mind that we are the only team at the field with coaches nad we have two at that. One of whuch is the field owner. Monstars, Revolution, Nasty, etc. do not have coaches and they practice every single weekend. As a sponsor, everything has been provided for each person on this team. The only thing that they were responsible for was there practice paint, flight and food. All is asked was that they show up and work hard for our scheduled doubles. From a players perspective, they had it pretty damn good.

Dont get me wrong- there was a steadfast commitment from about 5 players .After all that I as well as other sponsors provided to this team to help it become successful, i should not have to beg for grown men to come to practice. Maybe it is my fault for providing so much. I know times are tough in the pb world so we did our best to lessen the costs to all of those on the team. We wanted our players to be focused on playing and not money. We tried to take the stress out of it and for 3/4's of the season the team worked appropriately. For whatever reason, they decided to take a different path this time and are now suffering the consequences of their decision making.

The absolute last thing that I am going to do is put an unprepared team out on the field at World Cup. Not only would that look bad for my program, but it would look bad for my field and for all of the industry sponsors that support us. Rest assured that we are not done this season and we will be back acomepting again in 2012.

Please dont get me wrong, the in-action of a few led to this decision, the nucleus of the team is still dedicated, hardworking and talented and we will move forward with them. a team is only as good as the players that it is comprised of. this was not an easy decision to make believe me.

In our case, we have guys that wanted to go the extra mile and some that apparently did not, all being pretty talented. The problem that I ran into was the discension among the guys that was created by the players who were not showing up to practice. it not only put me in a difficult place as an owner but the general vibe of the team was not good, especially heading into the biggest event of the year.

From a team aspect, it is not healthy, there was no cohesion, we were very rusty and it all showed. If the individual players do not put the team ahead of their personal agenda then the model does not work. The last time that I checked, Sunday afternoons were won by teams, not individuals. Sure a particular player may have won a crucial point with an incredible move to win the point but it was the team who helped get him in the position to make that move. When you get to the podium, there is not one individal standing there by himself, but a team that sacrificed everything for the glory that they had acheived.

We do not play this game for money, we play for glory, for memories that will last a lifetime and for the simple fact that on that Sunday afternoon we were the baddest mother****ers on the planet, regardless of whether you are a pro or a rookie just starting out. Winning is the validation of all of the time, money, dedication and practice that you put into the time leading up to an event.

This time around we did not sell out, we did not put into it what we should have and we all knew it, whether anyone wanted to admit it or not so as a result we are suffering the consequences of our own actions or rather in-actions and that is what we have to live with. At the end of the day all I asked was for people to come to practice and work hard and the rest would take care of itself.

With that said, I have learned my lessons and we will be stronger than wever when we get back on the field, despite what the naysayers have said on this forum. And to any newbie or rookie reading my rant- continue working hard, be a team player, sacrifice your personal agendas for the greater glory of your team and before long you and your team will succeed. Do not look for handouts, because there are none. Play becasue you want to be part of something great and you will be.

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
J. Stein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-13-2011, 08:33 PM #2
BonusBaller04
#DERVRUINSEVERYTHING

BonusBaller04 is a Supporting Member
BonusBaller04 works for a Paintball manufacturer
BonusBaller04 plays in the USPL
BonusBaller04 plays in the PSP
BonusBaller04 plays in the APPA D1 division
From Ted's mouth to God's ears
IPS/Planet Eclipse /UNDERSTOOD/PAINTBALL ARENA/PB187/KM/SPINE
SUPPORT THE MAPL

Trendy News PROPAINTBALL.COM
BonusBaller04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:04 AM #3
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stein View Post
We do not play this game for money, we play for glory, for memories that will last a lifetime and for the simple fact that on that Sunday afternoon we were the baddest mother****ers on the planet....
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa is offline   Reply With Quote