Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-13-2011, 11:40 AM #1
5150IrishLuck

Next Upgrade On Smart Parts ION?

Ok, so I got a good deal on a Smart Parts Ion a week or so ago. I have only played a few times and really like it. So this is what I have done so far...

-Freak Barrel Kit
-Feed Neck
-Violent Series Trigger
-Violent SL3 Regulator
-Planet Eclipse ASA
-Empire Tank
-Halo Hopper

Trying to decide what to do next? Virtue Board,Tank, or save up for a Dye Rotor? Im new to the sport so any help would be sweet.
5150IrishLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-13-2011, 11:52 AM #2
russmoo44

russmoo44 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I know that you just got it and probably dont wanna hear it but really you should sell it and get another mediocre gun that is way newer and overall a whole lot better--like the invert mini..with all those upgrades you might be able to squeeze 200 out of it and that is definitely enough to find a nice mini..it has much newer technology and since you are just now starting out, you want a gun that you can take apart and lube and learn a little about how guns work..I know that back in the day when I had an ion I didnt take it apart once because of how hard it was to get to the bolt and everything..check it out seriously the mini is a wayyyy better choice than a 5 year old ion and with all those upgrades you should be able to make a pretty even swap
russmoo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:13 PM #3
i8somepie
Michael Pasztor

Annual Supporting Member
i8somepie is an NCPA player
i8somepie plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by russmoo44
I know that you just got it and probably dont wanna hear it but really you should sell it and get another mediocre gun that is way newer and overall a whole lot better--like the invert mini..with all those upgrades you might be able to squeeze 200 out of it and that is definitely enough to find a nice mini..it has much newer technology and since you are just now starting out, you want a gun that you can take apart and lube and learn a little about how guns work..I know that back in the day when I had an ion I didnt take it apart once because of how hard it was to get to the bolt and everything..check it out seriously the mini is a wayyyy better choice than a 5 year old ion and with all those upgrades you should be able to make a pretty even swap
Let's not make this a VS right now. Lol.

Ions are money pits nowadays. Support for them has pretty much ceased and they sell for dirt sadly.

If you plan on keeping the Ion, then I would look at something that you could carry over to your next marker. A loader would be great.

If you did want parts:
QEV
Techt L7 bolt or Deadlywinds Hollowpoint

Is yours an XE or regular Ion?

Underground Sports - Underground Army
The Best DYE dealer in NE Ohio

YetiPB.com - The only place you'll ever need, ever

Last edited by i8somepie : 10-13-2011 at 12:15 PM.
i8somepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:58 PM #4
TheHef

Dont listen to these guys. A bolt would be a good upgrade for your ion, or a rotor which is an upgrade you can keep for other guns.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...6#post80475666

Last edited by TheHef : 10-13-2011 at 01:00 PM.
TheHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:14 PM #5
i8somepie
Michael Pasztor

Annual Supporting Member
i8somepie is an NCPA player
i8somepie plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHef
Dont listen to these guys. A bolt would be a good upgrade for your ion, or a rotor which is an upgrade you can keep for other guns.
I never said not to and even recommended an L7 or Hollowpoint.

Ions have the potential to be an incredible entry level marker. And in regards to if it is an Ion on Ion XE, if it is a regular ion, a bolt out back body would be a great to help reduce tearing apart the whole marker everytime just to lube the bolt.

BUT market value for Ions suck and he asked about other equipment too.

Underground Sports - Underground Army
The Best DYE dealer in NE Ohio

YetiPB.com - The only place you'll ever need, ever
i8somepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:18 PM #6
nerdcore
Radical!

has been a member for 10 years
nerdcore is playing at Living Legends VII
nerdcore is a top reviewer
Eh, nevermind upgrading the board unless you're playing tourneys.

What's wrong with your current tank & hopper?
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:43 PM #7
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Quote:
Originally Posted by russmoo44 View Post
I know that you just got it and probably dont wanna hear it but really you should sell it and get another mediocre gun that is way newer and overall a whole lot better--like the invert mini..with all those upgrades you might be able to squeeze 200 out of it and that is definitely enough to find a nice mini..it has much newer technology
"Much newer technology"? Like what, pray tell?

With a good regulator and feedneck, an Ion will hang without just about anything in its original price class, even today. Heck, just look at the GoG eXTc. It's a little easier to take apart than an Ion, but when you get right down to it it's practically the same gun with a few upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdcore View Post
Eh, nevermind upgrading the board unless you're playing tourneys.

What's wrong with your current tank & hopper?
I'm wondering the same thing.

It sounds like you've already replaced everything that will yield a real benefit. At this point you should slow down on the upgrades and just enjoy the gun. Spend the money on paint while the weather is still nice.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:01 PM #8
Ktownhustla
KTOWNHUSTLAS

check my sig for some stuff

ION parts sale
Orion 5000 watt APM
Ktownhustla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:50 AM #9
Syphorus

Don't listen to anyone who tells you to sell your gun. The value is not what they see but rather what you see. If you like it, it is highly unlikely that you will sell it and if that's the case there is no reason to pay attention to the resale value as it is a moot point.
As far as upgrades go: Bolt and Qev would be the best upgrades as these improve performance and efficiency of the gun. Stock board can shoot up to and beyond most field limits. Shooting beyond 15bps is pointless. If you have a hopper that feeds at or slightly faster than 17 bps you will be fine.
Syphorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:50 AM #10
Lt. Tank
What would you ask God ?

Lt. Tank owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tank and hopper are no upgrades, they are what they are, a hopper and a tank.
in relation to your marker, up to you bud, go crazy overboard and hit it with board, bolt, QEV, frame (only V2 frames or epi frames IŽll suggest) and a BOB body (recommend the original XE since its the lighter bob body youŽll find) ...or stay put, enjoy the marker and shoot paint

up to you , enjoy
Old 10-14-2011, 12:28 PM #11
russmoo44

russmoo44 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
you all are retarded if you are telling this kid to get any more upgrades than he already has..why would you spend that much money in upgrades on a low end gun?--because in the end, its still an ion that just has some upgrades--if anything were to go wrong with it, you dont have a company backing you up..why not just buy a mid-high end thatll already come with everything you need stock (maybe besides the barrel)..axe etek3 reflex..not only do they come with everything you need from the factory but are all newer guns and actually have a company thats still in business
russmoo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:50 PM #12
tafkamb2

Quote:
Originally Posted by russmoo44 View Post
you all are retarded if you are telling this kid to get any more upgrades than he already has..why would you spend that much money in upgrades on a low end gun?--because in the end, its still an ion that just has some upgrades--if anything were to go wrong with it, you dont have a company backing you up..why not just buy a mid-high end thatll already come with everything you need stock (maybe besides the barrel)..axe etek3 reflex..not only do they come with everything you need from the factory but are all newer guns and actually have a company thats still in business
Although you make a great point, he does already own the ion, and if he wants to make some changes to it it his his money and preference. If he chooses to take your advice I'm sure he'd do what most people do and keep the ion as a backup marker. So swapping a few parts that he can probably find in the BST section for cheap isn't a bad idea.
tafkamb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:58 PM #13
nerdcore
Radical!

has been a member for 10 years
nerdcore is playing at Living Legends VII
nerdcore is a top reviewer
Plus, there IS a company backing it up. Gog = SP and they still supply spare parts & support. Not to mention it's actually quite easy to get parts and service the gun otherwise.

The resale value of ions is so low now, i wouldn't even recommend wasting time selling them. Keep it, and get good use out of it.

We all aren't recommending upgrades, anyway. Most of us are telling the op to just run it as he's got it.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:20 PM #14
maloneoni
The Ronin

There are not many things that can go wrong with an ion that render it scrap metal and garbage plastic. As I recall the ion's warranty, there was not much that was covered anyway.