Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-04-2014, 07:12 PM #1030
toolbandfan
The dude abides

toolbandfan is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
toolbandfan is playing at Living Legends VII
So I replaced the driver side CV axle in my 96' G20. After it was done, from that wheel the car makes a metal on metal grinding noise that is more noticeable and louder when driving slow and turning. Driving straight, it's not very loud or you don't even hear it all the time. I think it's coming from the thin metal circular plate that is behind the rotor, I believe it's purpose is to protect the brake/wheel components. When I did the axle job I removed the two caliper bolts. I sprayed out the brake pad buildup that was around the pads with brake cleaner, put it back on, and bolted it in tight. To get the old axle out I also removed the ball joint, tie rod end, and sway bar link. And of course when I put the new axle in I reconnected all the other parts. I tightened the axle nut to 190 ft lbs and the lug nuts to 80 ft lbs.

Not sure where I went wrong here. I'm sure one of you has an idea.

EDIT: Was the dust cover, bent it. Probably when I was using the hammer on the control arm to loosen the ball joint.

Last edited by toolbandfan : 01-05-2014 at 09:38 PM.
toolbandfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2014, 11:24 PM #1031
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hep View Post
sounds all and good until something is overlooked and you have a comeback. Not saying you in particular but most(consumers) never hear the downside of flat rates having a comeback and they just lost everything they thought they made.
do 20 or 30 of those heater cores and you won't overlook anything.

even then, as a general rule: if it's smaller than a 13mm (12 in jap stuff), T30, or 7mm allen, it's not going to affect safety or reliability, or make a ton of noise without it. you need to use your judgement with this though because obviously a bleeder screw or cam bearing cap doesn't fit the mold. hate if you wish but if any tech, any where tells you they don't have a drawer full of "extra bolts" and whatnot, they're lying. i'm not justifying it; but there is some truth to the saying that all cars have extra bolts.

I see now, I see."
M3frontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:51 PM #1032
nmp8ntballa
iBYAAH!

passed a4, a5, a6, and a8 yesterday. paid to take the other 4 next week but am gonna have to take a rain check due to the lack of time slots. I interview for STEP in two weeks so hopefully all goes as planned. What regions do some of you guys work in? Trying to compare wages vs living expenses.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:23 PM #1033
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

did two sets of chains and complete reseals in e66 745's this week. g.r.a.v.y.

I see now, I see."
Old 03-11-2014, 05:28 PM #1034
Dk-79
SCHWING!

I'm having trouble with the blend door actuator on a 2002 Chevy 2500 6.0.

The hot and cold work just fine, but the air director knob is completely backward. The defrost setting blows out the front of the dash, and setting the knob to blow air out of the front activates the defroster.

I'm positive I have the cams hooked up properly, and am using the correct actuators in their correct locations. Had to call up the company and confirm the part numbers.

I've gone through every recalibration M.O. I can find, unplugging fuses, the battery, and cycling the ignition and allowing the motors time to reset.

Where do I go from here? Thanks for your time fellas, I appreciate it.
Dk-79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:08 PM #1035
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

pull the knob out, rotate 180*, reinstall

I see now, I see."