PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-15-2011, 08:01 PM #85
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

has been a member for 10 years
Done with my 4. How do you guys feel you did?

I see now, I see."
M3frontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2011, 12:46 PM #86
browndogmike
Where's the gangbang?

browndogmike has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I need help, 68 chevy C10 with a 94 silverado TBI 350 in it. Alternator keeps blowing fuses. I cleaned all the grounds and I checked the wire for shorts and I saw none. I don't want to resort taking my car to a mechanic but I am stumped. If it matters I've tried a few different alternators.
Mall Crawler
browndogmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:47 PM #87
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

what is the specified alternator current output and what is it actually?

does it blow out immediately or only under certain conditions?

what is the diode ripple at the battery? voltage drop and resistance from alternator case to B-?

disconnect the battery and check the resistance from alternator positive post to positive clamp, then check the voltage drop from the alternator positive post to the alternator case, to engine ground, and to B-

I see now, I see."
Old 11-16-2011, 07:02 PM #88
Lucidus
T-rex Rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3frontman View Post
Done with my 4. How do you guys feel you did?
I found auto trans to be about as tough as I imagined. We will see what happens.
Lucidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:14 PM #89
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

really? i thought manual trans was alot harder than auto. but i neglected any sort of review for it since i tend to deal with them more and brushed up on my less seen automatics.

I see now, I see."
Old 11-16-2011, 08:11 PM #90
NinJaaaaaaaaaah
It's joe dirte brah

Quick(probably dumb) question.

Have you guys heard of anyone having problems switching over to E10 fuel on early 90's vehicles? A guy on a local forum brought it up, and my car is doing the same thing has his truck, which he says only started when the gas stations switched over, so could it cause problems with the fuel system?
Old 11-16-2011, 08:15 PM #91
F1VENOM

It can cause all kinds of problems.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:23 PM #92
browndogmike
Where's the gangbang?

Quote:
what is the specified alternator current output and what is it actually?

does it blow out immediately or only under certain conditions?

what is the diode ripple at the battery? voltage drop and resistance from alternator case to B-?

disconnect the battery and check the resistance from alternator positive post to positive clamp, then check the voltage drop from the alternator positive post to the alternator case, to engine ground, and to B-
It blows right when I connect the battery. I don't have a volt meter but I am going to buy one tomorrow.
Mall Crawler
Old 11-16-2011, 08:34 PM #93
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinJaaaaaaaaaah View Post
Quick(probably dumb) question.

Have you guys heard of anyone having problems switching over to E10 fuel on early 90's vehicles? A guy on a local forum brought it up, and my car is doing the same thing has his truck, which he says only started when the gas stations switched over, so could it cause problems with the fuel system?
unless the station you're buying gas from has a sign that says "no ethanol" it's probably E10 already anyways.

E10 will only really cause you some reduced power and fuel economy, it's when it goes up the problems really start if not equipped for it. corrosion, ruining of seals and pumps, etc. alcohol's big problem is it's corrosive and has fewer BTU's per gallon than gasoline or diesel by about half, so if you were running an E85 blend you would require nearly double the amount of fuel to get the same work done. it's perk is the increased octane and that it's fairly stable. so chances are you're already using E10, because that 10% allows them to charge you the same for a lesser quality gas with a bit of alcohol in it to bring it "up to snuff"

I see now, I see."
Old 11-16-2011, 08:45 PM #94
Lucidus
T-rex Rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by browndogmike View Post
I need help, 68 chevy C10 with a 94 silverado TBI 350 in it. Alternator keeps blowing fuses. I cleaned all the grounds and I checked the wire for shorts and I saw none. I don't want to resort taking my car to a mechanic but I am stumped. If it matters I've tried a few different alternators.
And this just started happening one day? It would be helpful to tell more of the story, it's important for us to know when the problem started, and the conditions it started in.

Keep things simple, and ask yourself what was going on when the problem started happening. Did you work on something with the truck?

You need to start by going through the wiring again. Stop randomly disconnecting grounds to clean random things. Moving wires and connections will do nothing but have you chasing your tail.
Lucidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:48 PM #95
browndogmike
Where's the gangbang?

I bought the truck unaware of the charging problems, I replaced the alternator and then it started to blow fuses right away. I think I may have found out the problem, It's supposed to be a 1 wire alternator and I bought a three wire, I returned it and bought a 1 wire alt of amazon, but would that cause the fuse to blow immediately once I connect the battery?
Mall Crawler
Old 11-16-2011, 10:51 PM #96
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

well if it's the wrong alternator then yes quite possibly. those wires have to do with the charging field and voltage regulator, among other things.

I see now, I see."
Old 11-16-2011, 11:45 PM #97
browndogmike
Where's the gangbang?

Once I get the new alternator in I'll update you guys incase I still need help. I hate electrical stuff.
Mall Crawler
Old 11-16-2011, 11:58 PM #98
N$$balla
1k992'r

Alright, So the local tech school offers a program to earn my A.A.S. as an auto technician. What kind of job placement would I be looking at after receiving my degree?

Flame suit on.

Originally Posted by EmergenC911: "I have never lol'd so hard from a PbN post :tup:"
Originally Posted by jay web: "**** you i bet you drive your moms mini van you ****ing boy scout"
Originally Posted by Lou Dogg: "You're....kinda a douche bag."
N$$balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:30 AM #99
wrecked

So I quit Lexus after 5 years! Got tired of the flat-rate shenanigans going on over there...
wrecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:02 AM #100
NinJaaaaaaaaaah
It's joe dirte brah

Quote:
unless the station you're buying gas from has a sign that says "no ethanol" it's probably E10 already anyways.

E10 will only really cause you some reduced power and fuel economy, it's when it goes up the problems really start if not equipped for it. corrosion, ruining of seals and pumps, etc. alcohol's big problem is it's corrosive and has fewer BTU's per gallon than gasoline or diesel by about half, so if you were running an E85 blend you would require nearly double the amount of fuel to get the same work done. it's perk is the increased octane and that it's fairly stable. so chances are you're already using E10, because that 10% allows them to charge you the same for a lesser quality gas with a bit of alcohol in it to bring it "up to snuff"
See i've read that it will cause problems, and other people have said it won't so i'm confused. It was around a year or so ago that the stations "switched" and the PO replaced the injectors around 2 years ago. So i'm not really sure why one would be leaking already(that's what i assume it is doing, #6 spark plug keeps getting soaked with gas) but i'm sure they can prematurely fail.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:16 AM #101
Pirate Mafia
Affiliated

Quote:
Originally Posted by N$$balla View Post
Alright, So the local tech school offers a program to earn my A.A.S. as an auto technician. What kind of job placement would I be looking at after receiving my degree?

Flame suit on.
Shop helper if you're lucky, shops/dealers want people with experience in the field. I know 5 people that just got back from Ohio tech, one found a job in the automotive field. He has a list of ASE's and prior to leaving for school worked at a shop(Vernon Crossings) for 3 years, also did side work out of his garage, and his references consisted of previous employer and customers, which was a smart move in my opinion.

Anyone with a toolbox and a brain can go to school and get a degree.
Pirate Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:42 AM #102
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

Quote:
See i've read that it will cause problems, and other people have said it won't so i'm confused. It was around a year or so ago that the stations "switched" and the PO replaced the injectors around 2 years ago. So i'm not really sure why one would be leaking already(that's what i assume it is doing, #6 spark plug keeps getting soaked with gas) but i'm sure they can prematurely fail.
Pull the injector out, run the fuel pump and see? It may not be leaking and be Hung wide open. You're not going to get away from ethanol in fuel, so blaming it is doing you nothing.

Also if fuel was the issue then you'd likely have problems on more than one cylinder

I see now, I see."
Old 11-17-2011, 12:42 PM #103
Kenny_McCormick

Quote:
Anything built in the last few years is designed to handle ethanol.
Narrator: [Talking slowly] And this button-down, Oxford-cloth psycho might just snap, and then stalk from office to office with an Armalite AR-10 carbine gas-powered semi-automatic weapon, pumping round after round into colleagues and co-workers. This might be someone you've known for years. Someone very, very close to you.
Kenny_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:04 PM #104
effse7en
SPELL CHECK

effse7en has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm pretty sure that "early 90's" isn't "the last few years...
Old 11-17-2011, 02:06 PM #105
Kenny_McCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by effse7en View Post
I'm pretty sure that "early 90's" isn't "the last few years...
"PO replaced the injectors around 2 years ago" is.
Narrator: [Talking slowly] And this button-down, Oxford-cloth psycho might just snap, and then stalk from office to office with an Armalite AR-10 carbine gas-powered semi-automatic weapon, pumping round after round into colleagues and co-workers. This might be someone you've known for years. Someone very, very close to you.
Kenny_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote