Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-12-2012, 03:26 PM #715
shortypaintballr
frat brah

Is there any tricks to swapping a 2000 Corolla exhaust manifold gasket? I think my wifes is leaking. Got a new one on order.
shortypaintballr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2012, 04:46 PM #716
Pirate Mafia
Affiliated

Ya, dont break any of the bolts
Pirate Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:17 PM #717
m60gunner
Your Spyder Blows..Back!

m60gunner supports Team VICIOUS
m60gunner is reppin' sidebar 4 life
m60gunner has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
m60gunner has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
m60gunner has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortypaintballr View Post
Is there any tricks to swapping a 2000 Corolla exhaust manifold gasket? I think my wifes is leaking. Got a new one on order.
take the bolts off and put them back on
m60gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:21 PM #718
m60gunner
Your Spyder Blows..Back!

m60gunner supports Team VICIOUS
m60gunner is reppin' sidebar 4 life
m60gunner has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
m60gunner has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
m60gunner has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3frontman View Post
me.

my dealership was way more laid back than my indy. and i made more money at $15 and then again at $18/hr there with benefits than i do now; plus 8 ASE's and 9.50 an hour and minus the benefits except for vacation time.
sounds like u get bent over bro, at the honda dealer i'm at most of the line techs make $21/flat hr or more. Several of them flagging 70-80 hours a week. In the apprentice program after my "spiff" it comes out to $18/flat hour most weeks, some weeks more.
m60gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 PM #719
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

has been a member for 10 years
i'm at 24.50/FRH flagging 40-50 hours a week. still made more money at the dealer at $15/hr. not sure how the **** that works because i left the dealer because of lack of work.

I see now, I see."
M3frontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:35 AM #720
ridebmx211
RC ARMY

ridebmx211 is a founding member
ridebmx211 plays in the PSP
ridebmx211 supports Pev's Paintball
ridebmx211 plays in the APPA D4 division
ridebmx211 is Legendary
this is the first year ive broken the 61k mark, the past 6 years ive made 27-35 and hour at both an ind shop and a dealership. i could never really make more than 60k. this year my average droped to 33hr a week from 42-54 Averages in the past, but im making closer to 35-40/hr. Those big weeks when i hit 60hrs really help. and the weeks like last when i get stuck working on big trucks(international with a CAT C7 acert) and only turn 25 hrs blow. I do miss the 70-80 hr weeks i used to be able to hit at the dealer though. Productivity has always meant more than take home pay for some reason
Save the Environment, PLAY PUMP!
ridebmx211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:16 AM #721
Pirate Mafia
Affiliated

Quote:
Originally Posted by m60gunner View Post
take the bolts off and put them back on
Naw, probably stretched, replace
Pirate Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:38 PM #722
effse7en
SPELL CHECK

effse7en has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
finally moved from tech trainee to the new car/preowned team, and i'm on 40 hour guarantee. They want me flagging all on my own by the first of the year, but I don't really see that happening until like mid january. Besides, they told me they were going to do this like two months ago, so if trends continue, I've got till march or so to get faster lol
Old 12-15-2012, 07:19 AM #723
Lucidus
T-rex Rawr

Been working on a v12 760li for a few days.

12 plugs, 12 coils, carbon cleaning, valve cover gaskets, and timing cover gaskets. It's a real mess of electrical harnesses, that's for damn sure.

Lucidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:31 PM #724
ridebmx211
RC ARMY

ridebmx211 is Legendary
by carbon cleaning, you mean walnut shell blasting??
Old 12-16-2012, 12:46 AM #725
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

probably. we have a brand new walnut blaster and i hate it. i can turn the engine by hand so the valves close, soak them in 44k and then hand scrape them just as clean in less time than ****ing with that hunk of ****

I see now, I see."
Old 12-16-2012, 09:36 AM #726
ridebmx211
RC ARMY

ridebmx211 is Legendary
really? i was gonna try Gm top engine cleaner on my N54. but everything i read said liquid chemicals wont break it up. I guess ill try it and see what happens. top engine cleaner had worked better on carbon than anything else ive ever used.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:18 PM #727
Lucidus
T-rex Rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridebmx211 View Post
by carbon cleaning, you mean walnut shell blasting??
Well, that's one method for doing it. I personally don't clean valves like that, but we are "supposed" to, and have a walnut blaster.

Quote:
probably. we have a brand new walnut blaster and i hate it. i can turn the engine by hand so the valves close, soak them in 44k and then hand scrape them just as clean in less time than ****ing with that hunk of ****
That's how I do it. Long abrasive pipe cleaners, more or less. I'm not a big fan of the walnut blaster. Too much clean up and set up, and soaking the valves and cleaning by hand does just fine for me.

Quote:
really? i was gonna try Gm top engine cleaner on my N54. but everything i read said liquid chemicals wont break it up. I guess ill try it and see what happens. top engine cleaner had worked better on carbon than anything else ive ever used.
How would you use that stuff on an N54? It's direct injection, so piping it directly into the fuel system would not only do nothing for your valves, but any of those cleaners used through your Piezo injectors will destroy them, according to BMW. And you really wouldn't be able to suck it up a vacuum hose like Seafoam, as your engine really doesn't have anywhere you could, and there isn't enough vacuum produced by your engine to do it anyway I don't think.

Are there guys doing it? The intake sludge/carbon build up is something I'm very interested to see how BMW is going to attempt to fix, so I'm always interested to see what people are doing to attempt to clean it off.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:49 PM #728
ridebmx211
RC ARMY

ridebmx211 is Legendary
GM top engine cleaner can be had in an aresol can. best thing ever for cleaning throttle bodies. esp VW tdis
Old 12-16-2012, 11:51 PM #729
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

aerosol products are not going to be focused enough to clean the direct injection kind of carbon buildup; not by the time it reaches the valves and is moving to fast and too atomized, anyways.

i soak them and use a few pieces of plastic coated coat hanger in the end of my drill.

a real simple fix would be a set of very small port injectors that fired on the backs of the valves every 5th or 10th or hell, even 50th intake stroke.

I see now, I see."
Old 12-17-2012, 12:41 AM #730
TheNforcer
RIP DIO 1942-2010

TheNforcer plays in the PSP
TheNforcer owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
TheNforcer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
TheNforcer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Newest VAG 2.0L, CPMA engine code has a metal intake manifold. Aaaaand...... a 5th fuel injector right after the throttle body spraying into the air path. ;-)
DMeyerspb #98
Planet Eclipse, Pittsburgh Paintball Sports Complex, DXS, FatBoy Pods, V-Force, Ninja Paintball, SkipsPics.net

XBL GT: TheEnforcer98
Drive German or Go Home, VAG Lover
TheNforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:18 AM #731
Lucidus
T-rex Rawr

Quote:
GM top engine cleaner can be had in an aresol can. best thing ever for cleaning throttle bodies. esp VW tdis
Ah, yeah, I've seen those charged cans before for aerosole injection. I definitely can't see that working on already built up carbon. Maybe if it was part of our oil change service it may help prevent a build up, but once it's there I'm doubtful.
Quote:
aerosol products are not going to be focused enough to clean the direct injection kind of carbon buildup; not by the time it reaches the valves and is moving to fast and too atomized, anyways.

i soak them and use a few pieces of plastic coated coat hanger in the end of my drill.

a real simple fix would be a set of very small port injectors that fired on the backs of the valves every 5th or 10th or hell, even 50th intake stroke.
Bingo

It's funny, because me and another tech had this discussion a week or so ago and we came up with that same idea being their best option.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:19 AM #732
ridebmx211
RC ARMY

ridebmx211 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Ah, yeah, I've seen those charged cans before for aerosole injection. I definitely can't see that working on already built up carbon. Maybe if it was part of our oil change service it may help prevent a build up, but once it's there I'm doubtful.

Bingo

It's funny, because me and another tech had this discussion a week or so ago and we came up with that same idea being their best option.
No no no, think spray can like spray paint. I would still take the intake manifold off and then clean the intake runners like any other method, just using a different chemical.

And apparently the BEST way to keep intake runners clean on direct injection motors is Meth inj. the guys running those setups have posted pics of their intakes and they are spotless after 30-40k.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:33 PM #733
TheNforcer
RIP DIO 1942-2010

TheNforcer plays in the PSP
TheNforcer owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
TheNforcer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
TheNforcer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Meth is essentially the same principal that VW/Audi are now using in their newest 2.0L like I posted above. An alcohol fluid (Meth or Gas like VW is doing) that is injected right into the airstream as close to the cylinders yet in a centrally located place as possible. The flammable fluid will ever so lightly coat the backs of the valves while passing into the combustion chamber. That constant coating will effectively keep oil and blow-by from forming carbon build-up on the valves.

Hell, I have pictures from work of an A4 with 2.0L TFSI with 14,000 miles on it that was caked with carbon. Crazy.
DMeyerspb #98
Planet Eclipse, Pittsburgh Paintball Sports Complex, DXS, FatBoy Pods, V-Force, Ninja Paintball, SkipsPics.net

XBL GT: TheEnforcer98
Drive German or Go Home, VAG Lover
TheNforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:25 PM #734
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

#winning

****ers.

I see now, I see."
Old 12-17-2012, 07:27 PM #735