Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-28-2011, 02:36 PM #1
rabidhampster
Girrr

rabidhampster is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Bringing a girlfriend paintballing

This was originally going to be a response post in a different thread, but by the time I finished typing I realized it was better standing on its own.

I have brought nearly every girlfriend I've had balling at some point or another (with varying levels of success)
I learned a few things. The main thing is initiating her gently.

1. Bust out your gun and some empty bottles and boxes, and let her have fun shooting a hopper or so in the backyard. She needs to get comfortable with a gun in a no pressure environment before she is in an environment where she'll get shot at.

2. Show her some paintball videos. Give her an idea of what a field looks like and how players move on it.

3. Go out back out and shoot some more targets and teach her the different playing positions, standing, crouching/powerstance, taking a knee, how to snap shoot and move from each position etc. Let her get really confident moving and shooting and teach her to keep her gun up always and never turn her back to a bunker/the opposing team.

4. Print out a layout and explain the names of bunkers etc so she will know what you're yelling to her (you should stay on her team nearly the whole time). Practice a little bit of communication. Watch a video and have her practice telling you where the players are. In your living room practice a little bit of "Look inside!" "Watch tape!" "Bump!" "Snake/dorito" etc. so she gets used to responding to the sound of your voice. If she can hear your voice out on the field it can be an anchor/comfort to her in an otherwise hectic and overwhelming situation. Your vocal presence will help her keep her cool.

5. Make sure you give her a GREAT mask. Do NOT subject her to beat up worn down barely functional rental equipment, under any circumstances. If your backup gear is not good quality, then let her use your primary while you use the backup. You'll be playing beginner games with her anyways, you can compensate whereas on her first time, she really shouldn't have to. Make sure she has running shoes or cleats, comfortable sweats with gym shorts or slider shorts underneath, a good longsleeve or hoodie, and kneepads if you've got them (volleyball kneepads work great and are $15 at Big 5. Knees are priceless, protect your own and your womans!)

Throughout this whole process you want to be praising her, re-enforcing her progress with loving touch, and making her feel good about herself.
When you teach her to snap shoot, you can be giving her a gentle yet secure hug from behind and guiding her body through the proper motion at first. This will also teach her faster as kinesthetic learning is often easier than verbal or visual. Back off after a bit and let her fly on her own, then give her a high five and compliment her on how quickly she's getting it. Alternatively if she's struggling, practice loving patience and maybe break it down a different way or choose a different and more basic topic that you can build upon when you return to whatever it was that was a sticking point.

At the field, comfort is key! Make sure you have towels and cold water and food. Help her gear up and load up pods etc. Be all podded up and ready for the games ahead of time so there's not the last second stress of running onto the field late and possibly getting split up. You want it to be smooth and easy.
Stay on her team the entire first half of the day. Don't go all crazy Rambo, focus on staying within talking distance of her so she can feel your presence and feels like she's not alone on the field. As she gets more warmed up, you become freer to leave her more distance to play with.

Be really social and talk to people and introduce her to them as your girlfriend. She'll feel proud that you're her man, someone well liked and respected at the field. And now you have all sorts of people who can chat with her and occupy her attention (perfect wingmen) while you go and play an advanced game or two (girlfriend love watching you play and having the opportunity to cheer you on, at least the good ones do. Give her the opportunity to support you the same way you have been for her, by leaving her a bit of space)

Don't play any advanced games with her AT LEAST until after lunch. Then only if she is specifically interested.
Whatever you do DO NOT go against her in the first few games. Even if she's challenging you to, just smile and chuckle and dismiss it, and then if she still wants to, shoot her after lunch

Respect how much she does/does not want to do. These guidelines are the ideal, but not everyone has the patience or the desire to prepare so thoroughly. Respect that, and do as much as you can and the rest, don't sweat it. If she goes and has a great time she may ask you later to show her all the stuff you were going to before, or alternatively if she goes and gets shot a lot that may fuel her desire to become competent at what she's doing. Whatever her experiences and desires are, respect that, and guide her into your world with the loving care she deserves.

This is what I've learned through trial and error over the years about bringing both guy friends and girlfriends paintballing.

I've had girls show up in sandals, get shot in the foot, and drop the gun before wandering off to walk in the forest for hours and pick flowers. I've had one have an absolutely fantastic time until she decided to play a silly game where me and all my friends ran around without guns while she shot at us. Her gun jammed and she got really scared as we all closed in and playfully threw paintballs at her. It wasn't any pain factor it was just having people closing in in an unknown environment.
I had a different girl show up and my two buddies spent the entire time hitting on her while I played. She played some games and had a great time but she couldn't keep up with my pace. I was grateful my buddies were there keeping her occupied and feeling good, even if they were trying to steal her. Don't be offended if people do the same, it'll make her feel good but they don't stand a chance against you

My last girlfriend I met at the field her first time and she was cute so I offered to show her a few tips and tricks.. she then proceeded to charge down the field snakeside and shoot 5 people out. We went paintballing several times together after that. She came to my games and cheered me on and even played without me a few times.

This has been my personal experience in what works, and I hope it helps everyone out there who wants to bring their loved ones paintballing!

Discuss

Last edited by rabidhampster : 09-28-2011 at 02:39 PM.
rabidhampster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2011, 03:30 PM #2
JC001
CrownPB

JC001 plays in the PSP
JC001 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JC001 posts videos on PbNation
JC001 plays in the APPA D4 division
I love paintball and I love women, but I have found they don't mix well.
JC001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:08 PM #3
rabidhampster
Girrr

rabidhampster is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Mostly my experience too, that's why I now take such care and consideration to do it right. What were your experiences JC?
rabidhampster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:12 PM #4
~Ghost~
Love em

~Ghost~ owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Thanks!

That was definitely very well written and thought out!!
Ive recently joined a local team and getting ready for our tournament season , my first season competitively and my girls been showing interest in PB. But I was nervous as to how to intoduce her into my style of play I.E X-ball/Speedball. Im definitely gonna try these steps and teach her the tips and tricks and hope all goes well. I never thought about the possibility of getting her out but Im starting to hope maybe her competive side(she boxes competitively and her Uni's basketball team captain) will shine and she'll have fun and be decent enough for a day of rec fun and play.....
Ill run the idea by her and hope all goes well, I mean she loved coming too the shooting range and shooting some skeet n clays lol

Ill keep you guys updated on how this goes for me...
Thanks for the awesome post

No Balls no glory
~Ghost~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:45 PM #5
Tiger_Shark

Tiger_Shark owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
wow, thanks for the major heads up, I'm in the process of convincing my lady to go this weekend, wish me luck!
Tiger_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:44 PM #6
pykim01
smile

pykim01 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
pykim01 posts videos on PbNation
hahah yea i mean i let her shoot at me so i can try and dodge em (dynasty dysected) and she loves hitting me but is not fond at all about getting shot when she's all the welts i come home with after a day of speedball. just gotta get her to believe it won't hurt. maybe at the end of the day i'll just have to accept that she goes shopping while i ball. in my selling video shes taping so i guess she's supportive so i shouldn;t ask for too much.
pykim01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:37 AM #7
Kid named puoS (Banned)

Kid named puoS supports Team VICIOUS
Kid named puoS has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Kid named puoS has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Kid named puoS has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Kid named puoS has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
My girlfriend of nearly 3 years hated paintball at first, but she has grown to realize that I have a real passion for it and realizes it's going to be in my life so she should learn to appreciate it, she's not so much interested in playing, but she comes to practices when she can and she tries to make it to every tournament. I like it when shes there to support me and she's learning the sport shell yell at my teammates playfully and yell at people tell them to cross it up or bump up. It's a good time.
Kid named puoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:45 AM #8
dukops420

i just bought my gf a bunch of high quality gear and told her to learn it or burn it basically , luckily it was all a pretty pink color so she was happy , lol , honestly just be honest with the girl when your trying to influence to go mabye even over exaggerate that the pain is really bad , and if she's bad a^^ enough to go then when she gets shot it shouldn't be a big deal , but beware she will cry !!!!! most of the time lol , good luck everbody !

Last edited by dukops420 : 10-09-2011 at 02:47 AM.
dukops420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:50 PM #9
wangchow21
Zach Holmes #1 Fan

wangchow21 plays in the APPA D5 division
wow, really well written, i got my lady to ball with me today
wangchow21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:29 PM #10
PEfan13oy

PEfan13oy owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
good job on that post. i could tell you took your time to write this. if only i came across this before the breakups, oh well. there will be other chances. until then..its GAME TIME. HORRAAH
PEfan13oy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:53 PM #11
jonotwist
fistfull o'sunshine & joy

Annual Supporting Member
jonotwist is playing at Living Legends VII
jonotwist plays in the APPA D5 division
jonotwist is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
jonotwist supports Empire
props where props are due.

now what about field play when bedtime comes? i saw no chapter there.
I need to know proper form when bunkering,

not to forget how how to play the snake.

and doc has another

Breakout Actions Sports Wenies Buy Elsewhere

Last edited by jonotwist : 12-08-2011 at 03:03 PM.
jonotwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:49 PM #12
Echmo

Thanks for the heads up man. Im actually taking the girl Ive been talking to for months in a few weeks. Really what should I make sure doesnt happen? I mean, what should I watch out for besides all the obvious stuff?
Echmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:47 PM #13
Unactive
SNOW WHERE ARE YOU!!!!

Unactive is playing at Living Legends V
Unactive owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Unactive is for the Gunfight
LOL I enjoyed reading the thread. Well thought out my man! I personally have not brought any girlfriends out to play. Mainly because that is supposed to be me time. However, I am thinking of bringing my current gf to play. Lol we will see how it goes!
Unactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:28 PM #14
xReladinx

It seems it is a lot easier to convince your gf or any girl for that matter to come if there is another girl attending. I have asked my gf several times to come play or watch and she has said no. The church I attend took their youth to play and because the youth leader was a female she knew, she decided to come and watch. Still wont play, but I think that might be for the better. She would get hit one time and call it quits... Im almost certain, haha
xReladinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:40 AM #15
DocDriza

DocDriza is playing at Living Legends VI
DocDriza has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DocDriza has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DocDriza has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
DocDriza has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
My Fiance will never come paintballing with me. She has come to see me play and own some people. That is as far as she will go. Once we get a house, I will probably get her to shoot my marker. But if you can get your woman to go with you, mad props to you. on the flip side, would you really want to have your girlfriend there while you play? I use PB as a release, and get away from everything. I dont want to have to worry about how she will be treated or whether she will be helpful. Just my thoughts.

ples exuse ny typos
DocDriza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:49 PM #16
steve_81
Paintballing since 1996

steve_81 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC001 View Post
Agreed. never let a teammate bring his girlfriend to a tournament. There head won't be in the game. a teammate of mine did that last summer and we have barred girlfriends from attending any team events from then on lol
Old 01-17-2012, 03:49 PM #17
empire11223

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC001 View Post

Most girls will tell you they really want to go, then when they do they spend the entire day sitting around bored as hell. This scenario often reminds me of dogs locked in their kennels.
empire11223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:08 AM #18
M4GOO

I'll give my girl my old spyder tl and throw her on the other team :/ but she knows better then to come
Old 01-19-2012, 02:38 PM #19
shortyrider114

shortyrider114 plays in the PSP
shortyrider114 is an NCPA player
shortyrider114 plays in the APPA D4 division
shortyrider114 supports Empire
I actually have brought my girlfriend to the field. At first she was bored but when I brought her to cup she saw what it was really like and ended up doing everything in the pit. Now she comes out to all of my practices and fills our pods, she even started playing and is loving the sport. She is buying herself a gun sometime soon.
shortyrider114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:12 PM #20
crippy02
Dat Coonass

crippy02 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
crippy02 is for the Gunfight
crippy02 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
crippy02 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
crippy02 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Yeah, while it'd be easier to go if my wife played too, pball is my release, like the pressure release valve. Having her there would pervert everything I love and I'd probably never get to play again.

You air up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there... your world is right for the next couple hours, this is your heaven on earth.. live it.. love it.. Paintball

CK MAFIA
crippy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:29 PM #21
MidNite_KinGs

it would be nice to take out some frustration tho.
MidNite_KinGs is offline   Reply With Quote