PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-25-2011, 11:41 PM #1
Josh@PbNation

Will somebody help me out??

Need some advice...
Please do not post things that are stupid. Well I have been doing my research but I still have some questions unanswered can somebody please help me. Well I play intermediate paintball and have a mini it's a great gun but I want to upgrade to something more advanced/competitive for tournaments but not outragesly expensive.. Does anybody have any suggestions? I was thinking Etek 3 or a 2011 proto reflex? Is the etek 3 or proto reflex considered high end guns? Somebody please help. Feel free to write me an essay response haha. Thank you everyone.
Josh@PbNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2011, 06:31 AM #2
Josh@PbNation

I will look into the dm.. Would you say the etek 3 am or reflex is a big jump from the invert mini or I could probably find better?
Old 09-26-2011, 06:35 AM #3
pykim01
smile

pykim01 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
pykim01 posts videos on PbNation
well the dm is high end. but do you want to buy a gun thats 2-3 yrs old? dm9's which are 3 yrs old go for 5 550.

the etek3 is almost or as good as an ego9 and is definitely a big jump from the mini. the reflex bolt is the same as the ion. and about as reliable as the mini. not a huge fan of the reflex.
pykim01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:52 AM #4
Josh@PbNation

Well I don't mind the 2-3 years the gun has I am going to look into the dm and hopefully I can find one for a reasonable price but if not I will probably get the etek 3.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:54 AM #5
pykim01
smile

oo icic. well just a heads up it'll be near impossible to find a dm under 5 MAYBE 450. but by christmas hopefully prices will have dropped some.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:14 AM #6
Josh@PbNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pykim01 View Post
oo icic. well just a heads up it'll be near impossible to find a dm under 5 MAYBE 450. butp by christmas hopefully prices will have dropped some.
Do you know anywhere online I can look to find one for that price?
Old 09-26-2011, 07:20 AM #7
pykim01
smile

bst secitons on forums. wont find em new anywhere.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:21 AM #8
pykim01
smile

gotta buy used or ebay if you dont trust people. if you dont need it till xmas dont even look cus wats sold now will be gone by xmas
Old 09-26-2011, 07:22 AM #9
Josh@PbNation

Alright thank you
Old 09-26-2011, 07:31 AM #10
Josh@PbNation

Yea I have a while lol. What did you think of the etek 3 am, is it worth it? Ima probably being playing college paintball so I dont wan to get something that will disappoint me.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:34 AM #11
pykim01
smile

i love my etek3. i mean it shoots like an ego. for half the price. bet you if you blindfolded someone put an ego in their hands made them shoot then put an etek 3 am in their hands majority wouldn't be able to tell the dif. cant go wrong with planet eclipse poppets
Old 09-26-2011, 02:06 PM #12
jonotwist
fistfull o'sunshine & joy

Annual Supporting Member
jonotwist is playing at Living Legends VII
jonotwist plays in the APPA D4 division
jonotwist is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
jonotwist supports Empire
the problem between these guns ins whether on will be better than the other, both lines good performers, light, fast, and packed with features.

what it will come down to is what gun you prefer, what comfortable for you to hold, grip and play with.

the best thing to do is to visit a local proshop around town and see if they can let you hold one in your hands,

also look up the manuals, and check the marker forums to see what issues users may be having or any info that may be posted,

all of it is worth a look.

Breakout Actions Sports Wenies Buy Elsewhere
jonotwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:11 PM #13
pykim01
smile

^^^this.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:54 PM #14
Josh@PbNation

I made up my Mind lol etek 3 it is. Thanks for all the help
Old 09-26-2011, 04:53 PM #15
skaryface
Skaryface

skaryface has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by pykim01 View Post
i love my etek3. i mean it shoots like an ego. for half the price. bet you if you blindfolded someone put an ego in their hands made them shoot then put an etek 3 am in their hands majority wouldn't be able to tell the dif. cant go wrong with planet eclipse poppets
I know people who can.

the etek isnt a bad choice. IF you like poppits. Have you shot a poppit? that will be the deciding factor.
skaryface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:44 PM #16
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

Annual Supporting Member
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
If you are set on an etek3, then go for it. However, there are many other options out there.

First, you are asking the difference between an etek3 and a reflex. Well, they are two completely different guns. The etek3 is a poppit, the reflex is a spool valve (note: the reflex is not the same bolt as an ion. Every spool valve is based off of the same design.)

You should look into the difference between a spool and a poppit before you decide. There are pros and cons to each. A poppit will be more efficient on air, requires less tlc, will have more kick, and are louder. A spool will be smoother, use a little more air, and will require you to lube it after every use and check orings more often.

If you are looking into new guns that would be good starting tournament, the Reflex is a good choice if you want a spool. For the poppits, the etek3 is good, as is the Empire Axe.

However, used isn't a bad way to go. Before you buy used, you can view a person's feedback to see if they have sold high-end markers in the past. You can also make a Want To Buy (WTB) thread in the appropriate forum of the Buy, Sell, Trade (BST) section where you can post what you are looking for and people will bring you offers. You can pick which ones you are interested in and work a deal out with the seller. For used guns, you can get many different guns that will perform all around better than an etek3, Reflex, or Axe will and you can find them for the same price.

Here are some used used guins you can look for and some of the prices I have found them for:

Planet Eclipse
Ego 2007 : 350-400 (poppit)
Ego 2008: 375-475
Ego 2009: 475-550
Ego 2010: 550-700
Geo : 450-650 (depends on if it has Gst kit and Gr2 bolt) (spool)

Vanguard
Creed: 450-600 (poppit)
These are either love them or hate them markers. It all depends on what you like. Here on pbn, you will get people that completely love the creed and swear that is the best poppit out there and you will get people that say they hate it. It is different from most poppits in that the LPR and HPR are balanced and you use the LPR to adjsut your velocity rather than the HPR. Be sure to read how to adjust and tune a creed before using one. If you know how to work it properly, it will be one of the best shooting guns you can find on the market.

Dye
Dm 2006 : 250 -350 (spool)
Dm 2007 : 350-450
Dm 2008 : 400-500
Dm 2009 : 475-550
NT 10 : 550-700 (more efficient than a Dm, but less reliable)

Bob Long
Intimidator: 200-650 (poppit) These are good guns and can be found for a very good price. I would suggest looking into getting a G6R. They can be found for 650 and will easily compete in any paintball scenario.

Marqs : 250-800 Same as the G6R. The marq victory is a great gun. They can be a little pricy, but an older marq rapper or closer shoots just as well and can be found for under 400. Bob long guns are virtually indestructable.

Macdev (spools)
Droid: 400-550
Clone: 550-800

DLX Luxe (spool) : 650- 850

Smart parts Shocker: 150-350 (spool)
Smart parts went out of business a cople years back, but their shocker marker is a great gun and there are plenty available for cheap. Plus, GOG will service any smart parts gun. For the money, look into a shocker NXT, possibly a private label one.

Again, do some research, see if you can try some guns out at your local field, look around the companies forums, and find a gun that is right for you. Don't base what you are going to buy off what someone thinks is the coolest new gun.

If you have any questions about markers, their pros and cons, how they perform, upgrades available, etc., drop me a private message and I will do what I can to find the gun that is best for you.

Monkeyballer099639.

ps. you wanted an essay.

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:20 AM #17
Josh@PbNation

@monkeyballer,

This really helped a lot this is exactly what I was looking for thank you. Lol nice essay.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:42 PM #18
tanner is tha bomb

tanner is tha bomb owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i would go for an ego 08.... etek 3 is not better than a 08 ego. etek sounds like someone is shooting a gun,
tanner is tha bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:40 PM #19
Paintball King21

I say either get an old ego, a newer etek, or a droid if you want a spool valve. The droid is one of the best guns for the money and if you are lucky you can get some between 300 and 400. No kick to them and they shoot ball on ball shoots. The gun is ****ing amazing.
Paintball King21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:35 PM #20
Bigfatts

I'm a huge fan of the older BL Marqs. For the money they are damn hard to beat. Smooth like a spool but efficient like a stack tube. Quiet with a good barrel. And like Monkeybalker said, they're indestructable.

Egos: I owned an 05 and 08 and wasn't impressed by either. Overpriced, overhyped. Shot like howitzers.

Intimidators: Great guns. My '06 shot better than my Ego 8 ever dreamed of. Properly tuned these things are beasts. They have a huge following on here. And considering you can pick up a 2k5 Alias for +/- $250 in the bst here, very hard to beat. Lots of parts upgrades out there if you want, but they shoot fine as is.

I need to buy some stuff:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3716800
Marqs to fund a Vic or MacDev:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...2#post73530832
Bigfatts is offline   Reply With Quote