PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-24-2011, 05:45 PM #1
team_Static_Age

team_Static_Age owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
team_Static_Age supports Team VICIOUS
Stuck on my project.

I have been working on this project halfblock cocker for over a year, recently after my milling job all it needs is the lower tube polished. How are you guy doing it and what hints do you have for me?
team_Static_Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2011, 05:32 PM #2
EvilAuthorityX
PUMPER_TYLER

EvilAuthorityX is attending Decay of Nations VI
why does the lower tube need to be polished? also there is no way youll be able to get an even finish. the stock finish as long as it isnt damaged in any way will probbaly be smoother than anything you could possibly do at home. ccms are factory honed and the tolerances are tight. taking away any material from the tubes (im a assuming a wgp or similiar body) will cause a little up and down play in the hammer. which i see as taking away from the smoothness of the pump stroke.

Last edited by EvilAuthorityX : 09-27-2011 at 05:36 PM.
EvilAuthorityX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:43 PM #3
team_Static_Age

Im using a flex hone which will be smooth as can be.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:56 PM #4
lufkon
FX Anodizing

The secret is have a professional hone a few tenths off for 20 bucks

Not milling markers anymore as of 5-4-13

Milled dm6
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...9#post82350489
lufkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:19 PM #5
team_Static_Age

What im doing. A guy who owns a shop and just got a couple abrasive and a non abrasive hone that were going to use.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:57 AM #6
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Ydna is BST Trusted
Is the bore still anodized? I'm not sure what a flex-hone would do to a nice anoed finish (never tried it myself).

If it's raw, a flexhone will probably do what you need but the time it will take (and sometimes quality) will change depending on what you're using to drive the hone. A hand-drill will work but take forever. A faster spindle will make life easier. You also need some lubricant, in absence of anything else you could use some tramp motor oil as long as it didn't have any debris in it.

The company brush-research has some good resources if you can find them. One time I posted a random honing video on youtube and somebody from the company contacted me out of the blue with some pointers...hah

As told by Stobaeus
...someone who had begun to learn geometry with Euclid, when he had learnt the first theorem, asked Euclid "What shall I get by learning these things?" Euclid called his slave and said "Give him threepence since he must make gain out of what he learns".
Ydna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:48 AM #7
team_Static_Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ydna View Post
Is the bore still anodized? I'm not sure what a flex-hone would do to a nice anoed finish (never tried it myself).

If it's raw, a flexhone will probably do what you need but the time it will take (and sometimes quality) will change depending on what you're using to drive the hone. A hand-drill will work but take forever. A faster spindle will make life easier. You also need some lubricant, in absence of anything else you could use some tramp motor oil as long as it didn't have any debris in it.

The company brush-research has some good resources if you can find them. One time I posted a random honing video on youtube and somebody from the company contacted me out of the blue with some pointers...hah
We just did it. the previous owner of the gun painted it and didnt tape off or something and there is debries and peice of something in there that my hammer hits when cocking makes it stiff. We used 3 flex hones the 2 abrasive 600 and 800 and then the *silicone?* one. Drill press and he has some special mineral oil that did the trick. Now the tube is amazingly smoother than my other cockers