Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 08:24 AM #1
Imnothungry

NFL Thread V. Brian "The DESTROYER" Hoyer Future 5 Time MVP/Superb Owl Champ xoxo

Hello, do you have time to discuss our lord and savior Brian Hoyer?

hi boys :3
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2014, 08:45 AM #2
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

has been a member for 10 years
Featherlite 07 is playing at Living Legends III
Featherlite 07 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Apparently everyone is talking about the field goal attempt last night and that a ref told/pushed donta Hightower away from the long snapper so he wouldn't get a penalty.

Did not notice it during the game and only heard about it on the radio, but don't get what the big deal is. They didn't help the patriots block the kick. Why have the refs decide the game in that situation when it's simple enough to warn Hightower and decide it on the field.

I did think the pats got 1 of 2 gift PI calls in that game, if people wanted to complain about something I would complain about that. The one to amendola was a huge penalty and not a very good call.

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)
ST:A - We pass school busses at 140

"That is the unmistakable low rumble of a turbocharged flat 4, which signals the imminent arrival of a moron." -J. Clarkson
Old 10-17-2014, 10:18 AM #3
Captain A v2.0
2romo4u

Annual Supporting Member
Captain A v2.0 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Remember when the Browns thought Derek Anderson was their savior after he played great for a 5-6 game stretch a few years ago? That was fun.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:24 AM #4
Barber
Moose Krew.

Barber plays in the PSP
Barber is an NCPA player
Barber plays in the APPA D4 division
I'm so happy to have a team that has had a good QB for almost my entire life (even more if you're bigger on Jim Harbaugh than I was). I've never had to deal with the media hype of ****ty QBs as our 'savior' every year.

Hoyer is the real deal though. Buffalo is going to be lucky to have him next season.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:30 AM #5
Imnothungry

derek Anderson also wasn't that good during that stretch. Jamaal lewis, winslow and Edwards completely carried his ***. Edwards was ridiculous that year then forgot how to catch a ball promptly after that

hoyer is more accurate, makes FAR less mistakes and doesn't crack under pressure. he seems to play better with more poise from behind

Last edited by Imnothungry : 10-17-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:52 AM #6
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber View Post
I'm so happy to have a team that has had a good QB for almost my entire life (even more if you're bigger on Jim Harbaugh than I was). I've never had to deal with the media hype of ****ty QBs as our 'savior' every year. Hoyer is the real deal though. Buffalo is going to be lucky to have him next season.
Drew Bledsoe ftw?

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)

"That is the unmistakable low rumble of a turbocharged flat 4, which signals the imminent arrival of a moron." -J. Clarkson
Old 10-17-2014, 11:02 AM #7
Imnothungry

I was kinda confused by his post. if hoyer is anywhere but Cleveland next year ill be shocked. only way I see the browns not resigning is if he gets hurt and manziel is amazing or he completely implodes. I really don't see either of those scenarios playing out, although an injury is always possible. I just don't think manziel will shock the world if he gets his chance this season
Old 10-17-2014, 11:02 AM #8
imped4now
BTFU

Bledsoe was pretty legit.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:05 AM #9
Imnothungry

not for the bubbalo bills (can we just change the city name to bubbalo? its so much more fun).

hoyer is also kind of perfect for shanny's offense. they really just need a guy that doesn't make mistakes and has long range capability when needed. the zone run heavy O is working so well and the play calling has really made hoyer's job much easier. no denying his killer instinct though, he has more than proved it in his epic comebacks this season. I think he has proved he is more than just a game manager but at the very least he is the ultimate game manager (at this point).
Old 10-17-2014, 11:28 AM #10
Fat Joe

Annual Supporting Member
Fat Joe is a founding member
Fat Joe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat Joe has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherlite 07 View Post
Apparently everyone is talking about the field goal attempt last night and that a ref told/pushed donta Hightower away from the long snapper so he wouldn't get a penalty.

Did not notice it during the game and only heard about it on the radio, but don't get what the big deal is. They didn't help the patriots block the kick. Why have the refs decide the game in that situation when it's simple enough to warn Hightower and decide it on the field.

I did think the pats got 1 of 2 gift PI calls in that game, if people wanted to complain about something I would complain about that. The one to amendola was a huge penalty and not a very good call.

I saw it happen last night and I didnt really think much of it, then all the hoopla this morning made it seem like the reff won the game for them.

Its been compared to a receiver asking the official if hes lined up on sides. I dont see the issue with it, if the official moves him, cool, if he doesnt, whatever. I think its a whole lot to do about nothing.
Team Aircraft Carrier - Captain
Old 10-17-2014, 11:30 AM #11
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherlite 07 View Post

Wouldn't an illegal formation penalty move the ball forward and give the Jets another try for a FG? I wasn't watching the end of the game, so I don't know how much time was left on the clock, but I can see why people are complaining.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 10-17-2014, 11:33 AM #12
Fat Joe

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
Wouldn't an illegal formation penalty move the ball forward and give the Jets another try for a FG? I wasn't watching the end of the game, so I don't know how much time was left on the clock, but I can see why people are complaining.
Yes, thats the reason people are *****ing about it. It would have been a 5 yard penalty and replay the down.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:36 AM #13
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
He cannot line up over the long snapper, so if he were allowed to stay there then yes would have been a penalty. But he was not, so no advantage was gained. They are saying the ref shouldn't have told him to move or nudged him or whatever, should have just let him stay there and presumably call the penalty.

I think anytime the ref as the option to warn someone before a penalty occurs, that is the best outcome. Would rather the game get decided on the field.

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)

Old 10-17-2014, 11:46 AM #14
Fat Joe

Annual Supporting Member
Otherwise games would be bogged down even more by stupid penalties. The only argument I can conjure up that people would actually have a leg to stand on with is that reffs are not supposed to dictate the out come of a game, by moving Hightower over the reff may have intervened to the point of effecting the outcome. People will argue that the reff should allowed the player to line up there then enforce the rule as its supposed be.

It did seem like he was directing him from over the center quickly before the snap so he wouldnt get penalized, but it seems to me like its a non issue.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:51 AM #15
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

I'm sure he was doing that. But if the rule is there for player safety and to prevent the defense from gaining an advantage, the ref accomplished that goal without having to call a penalty. Perfect.

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)

Old 10-17-2014, 12:49 PM #16
Barber
Moose Krew.

Barber plays in the PSP
Barber is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnothungry View Post
I was kinda confused by his post. if hoyer is anywhere but Cleveland next year ill be shocked. only way I see the browns not resigning is if he gets hurt and manziel is amazing or he completely implodes. I really don't see either of those scenarios playing out, although an injury is always possible. I just don't think manziel will shock the world if he gets his chance this season
I think Cleveland is in a bad situation. Hoyer will be demanding some money if he plays well. Manziel would likely have to be traded to appease Hoyer if he stays.

I think Buffalo, with a new front office coming in, would be ready to overpay for him. I could also see Miami trying to snag him if he's available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Joe View Post
Otherwise games would be bogged down even more by stupid penalties. The only argument I can conjure up that people would actually have a leg to stand on with is that reffs are not supposed to dictate the out come of a game, by moving Hightower over the reff may have intervened to the point of effecting the outcome. People will argue that the reff should allowed the player to line up there then enforce the rule as its supposed be.

It did seem like he was directing him from over the center quickly before the snap so he wouldnt get penalized, but it seems to me like its a non issue.
I think the entire situation is blown out of proportion, but here's how I feel.

Same as with receivers lining up, if they ASK a referee if they're cool or not, that's fine. But if a ref comes onto the field and taps a player and tells him to move, that's a little bit out of line. It would be almost the same as a ref running into the huddle and saying 'hey guys, you have 12 on the field,' or something similar.

It's not the refs' job to intervene before a mistake is made; however, if a player wants clarity, they should be able to ask and receive the correct answer. I do understand the desire to avoid slowing the game down, but on a scoring play, especially with the game on the line, if a guy makes a mistake, that's on him.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:49 PM #17
Fat Joe

Annual Supporting Member
Right, I mean, if he makes the field goal, no one gives a ****,
Old 10-17-2014, 01:09 PM #18
Imnothungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber View Post
I think Cleveland is in a bad situation. Hoyer will be demanding some money if he plays well. Manziel would likely have to be traded to appease Hoyer if he stays.

I think Buffalo, with a new front office coming in, would be ready to overpay for him. I could also see Miami trying to snag him if he's available.

PLEASE tell me you are not buying that BS that was reported this week that was already debunked. that hoyer/manziel **** was all speculative BS from some hack trying to revive the johnny football hype.

Cleveland also has a ton of cap space and they aren't going to have to overpay for him unless he goes to the superbowl or something
Old 10-17-2014, 01:28 PM #19
Barber
Moose Krew.

Barber plays in the PSP
Barber is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnothungry View Post
PLEASE tell me you are not buying that BS that was reported this week that was already debunked. that hoyer/manziel **** was all speculative BS from some hack trying to revive the johnny football hype.

Cleveland also has a ton of cap space and they aren't going to have to overpay for him unless he goes to the superbowl or something
Not buying into that report, but teams don't draft QBs in the first round to keep them on the bench while they resign the incumbent to a multi-year deal. Either Hoyer will be moved after a solid-good season and his stock is high or Manziel will be moved when he still has some first round hype. I just can't see, from a team management standpoint, a way that both of them will be in the long-term plans.

Even if Hoyer doesn't make a playoff run, he will still likely have led a team lacking offensive talent (at least in the regard that he doesn't have a great receiver padding his stats any, I know Cleveland has an above average line (now that Mack is gone) and good running game) to an above .500 record. That alone will draw the attention of teams who need a QB. Not sure what the cap situation is in those places, but if Hoyer has a middle-of-the-market deal to stay in Cleveland with a first rounder behind him on the table and a bigger money deal to be 'the guy' in a place like NY or Buffalo or Miami, I don't think there's any way he'll stay in Cleveland.

With the QB market the way it is (remember how even Matt Flynn was a big name for a minute), I think someone desperate pays him big. Who better than a guy who just turned around a team that everyone thought would be garbage?

(This all assumes that Hoyer is a UFA at the end of the year, without checking I'm not 100% sure on that.)
Old 10-17-2014, 01:46 PM #20
Imnothungry

there is a HUGE difference between Flynn and manziel: Flynn has actually played. we are not going to get dick for manziel right now except maybe a 3rd round pick in which case our front office looks like a bunch of morons.

hoyer would probably get less than that in a sign and trade. it finally looks like Cleveland has QB stability, you are nuts if you think they are going to give that **** up and try an untested late first round pick out
Old 10-17-2014, 01:51 PM #21
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

Matt Flynn is not the norm. Seattle went full retard. Hoyer would be more similar to Matt cassel, IMO. He's older, has been a backup for a while, now into the starting role has performed well for a decent sample size.

Manziel is like Brady Quinn. Highly touted prospect, late 1st pick, couldn't beat out the incumbent.

Browns will probably keep both unless they get a crazy offer for Manziel. They will not replace hoyer unless hoyer completely tanks for some reason. If that is the case they will dump Manziel for cheap in 2 years and their front office will look a little dumb for drafting him but no one will care that much since it will be over shadowed by finally having a cube that is not complete trash.

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)

Closed Thread