Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-29-2011, 11:21 AM #1
GETKNOWN

GETKNOWN supports Team VICIOUS
GETKNOWN is for the Gunfight
GETKNOWN supports DLX Technology
New College Team Help

Alright so I am trying to start a club paintball team at my college, Hampden-Sydney in Farmville, Virginia. Today I had a meeting with the Dean of Students to go over what I needed to do in order to legitimize the team and receive funding etc.. He informed me that our school has a rule that paintball guns are not allowed on campus...However shotguns are allowed to be kept in the school gun locker. I was wondering if any other college team has run into this problem and what your solution was to resolve it. Also, if anyone had a rough draft or simple guideline of what your proposal looked like to create the team and get it passed by the school board, I would greatly appreciate it if you threw it my way all the advice and knowledge helps.
GETKNOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2011, 11:36 AM #2
cronpaintball2007
www.cronpaintball.com

cronpaintball2007 is a Paintball photographer
cronpaintball2007 is an NCPA player
cronpaintball2007 plays in the APPA D4 division
Massachusetts state law deems it illegal to have paint ball guns or any other fire arm on campus. So what we did was went and talked to our campus police and they said they would store any markers for us. We would just have to leave campus when we picked them up or bring them straight there when we were bringing them onto campus. We had other issues with the club so we didnt end up using it but they were more than willing to help us out. So try that out, or just store them off campus at a players house who lives close. Good luck
Old 11-29-2011, 12:41 PM #3
Mr. Pink

We recently started our club at a school that, for obvious reasons, is notoriously anti-gun of any sort.

If your school won't budge on allowing the markers on campus, your best bet is to keep them with a teammate the lives off campus or at your home field. If that isn't an option, contacting your school police/ security force was a great suggestion.
Mr. Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:45 PM #4
deformed
In the Sack.

deformed plays in the PSP
deformed is an NCPA National Champion
deformed plays in the APPA D3 division
you live in farmville...lol
deformed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:47 PM #5
GETKNOWN

no i go to school in farmville. I am from Richmond.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:16 PM #6
captshorty7
Jason Kohout

captshorty7 plays in the PSP
captshorty7 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
captshorty7 supports Team VICIOUS
captshorty7 is an NCPA player
captshorty7 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
leave them with players off campus is the easiest. where are you looking to practice? liberty in lynchburg isnt too far and has a nice two turfed fields.
Rusty Glaze fan club #7!!
captshorty7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:57 PM #7
GETKNOWN

Lynchburg is about an hour away from us. I was planning on traveling to practice or if I was able to find affordable air bunkers I would just ask the school to let us set a field up on a plot of land.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:52 AM #8
captshorty7
Jason Kohout

captshorty7 plays in the PSP
captshorty7 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
captshorty7 supports Team VICIOUS
captshorty7 is an NCPA player
captshorty7 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
it would be much harder to find air bunkers and have a place to set them up. what about air, storage of bunkers, netting?? too many costs especially when starting off
Rusty Glaze fan club #7!!
captshorty7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:54 AM #9
GETKNOWN

You bring up a very good point. Im still in the early stages of getting this team created and legitimized. Probably won't have it running until january or february. Proposal has to be passed by a bunch of different people...sucks but its start I guess
Old 11-30-2011, 12:39 PM #10
gooeyfish
Not AGG in the least

gooeyfish owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
gooeyfish is an NCPA player
gooeyfish has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Even before you start doing all that work, find if there is enough interest at your school to start a team. You may find that it's just you and two or three others who are dedicated to playing, and that's why your school doesn't have a team.

Good luck!
and don't use co2. it's terrible, costs money to refill, ruins the gun, has less capacity than compressed air (use a high pressure tank with mechanicals), is environmentally unfriendly, causes more kick or recoil, ruins the paint, kills your accuracy, and just straight up sucks"
gooeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:48 PM #11
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETKNOWN View Post
You bring up a very good point. Im still in the early stages of getting this team created and legitimized. Probably won't have it running until january or february. Proposal has to be passed by a bunch of different people...sucks but its start I guess
You may find that the more experience you have dealing with school policies written by somebody that has no clue how paintball works, discretion is the answer.

As you get your club set up, don't bite off more than you can chew. Don't go out and try to buy a full field to have on campus, don't go after a million different sponsors, and don't stretch yourself too thin. Get your players together, start practicing at a local field, and build up experience as a team. You don't need matching jerseys, 2012 gear, or sick custom headbands. Keep it simple while you build your foundation. Write out a general timeline to plan out your progress as a club. Figure out what needs to happen when, do the research, and get it done.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:21 PM #12
zergdog
UWF Argos

Solutions for paintball markers, ask campus police if your able to store them, maybe see if recreation dept would store them if that is fine with the campus police since most Team are Sport clubs which are normally overseen by Recreation Dept.

Our school has lockers where we can keep all our equipment and is watched by the school staff, so we know it is in good hands, and if it is ever stolen it is all caught on camera.
University of West Florida Argos #42
Facebook (club): www.facebook.com/uwfpaintballclub
Facebook (team): https://www.facebook.com/groups/168831949859585/
School site: http://uwf.edu/recreation/SportClubs/Paintball.cfm
PBnation thread for UWF: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3713436
zergdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:40 PM #13
FrEnZy07

FrEnZy07 plays in the PSP
FrEnZy07 is an NCPA player
we are going through same process at coastal Carolina univ, and simple solution for us was we can keep them at a players off campus home or our adviser said we could keep everything at his place.

Feedback!!
FrEnZy07 is offline   Reply With Quote