Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-18-2011, 11:39 AM #1
isidor3

Headshots

I've always thought headshots were fine, even encouraged. I recently found out that some people play where if you shoot someone in the head, YOU'RE out, because shooting people in the head is "unsafe." Now, my personal opinion is that it's perfectly safe to shoot someone on a piece of equipment that was designed to get shot, but I wanted to hear some other viewpoints.

Have you ever played on a field where headshots where illegal? Do you think headshots are "safe?"
isidor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:43 PM #2
burnttoast
Not the one from PbReview

burnttoast owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
burnttoast supports Sherwood Forest
No, I think it would be safer if you're shooting the mask. And that rule seems kinda stupid. You could headcheck all the time and not have to worry about it. Headshots are only dangerous when people are doing stupid stuff like taking off their mask during a game.
'02 black cocker '08 gray/Green ego
74% of all statistics are made up.

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool. Shun him. He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a child. Teach him. He who knows and knows not that he knows is asleep. Wake him. He who knows and knows that he knows is wise. Follow him.--Persian Proverb
burnttoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:57 PM #3
Paintballer_23_93

To me, that seems like the best place to be shot unless it's in the back of the head, that would hurt. The mask is suppose to protect you. Most mask have a limit of 300 fps and most fields make sure that the guns are shooting under that. Plus if you get shot in the mask, it doesn't hurt and it's easy to check if the ball broke or not. It's probably the safest and best place to get shot besides your pod pack.
Paintballer_23_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:07 PM #4
LoneWolf99
Knight Stalker

Given the inherent inaccuracy of paintballs & the fact that the head is often the only thing you see of a player, trying to enforce that type of rule is not only impossible in practice but incredibly stupid as well.

Proudly Sponsored By:
Outdoor Extreme - Chesapeake City
Chipley Custom Machine (CCM)
Feel Good Inc. Pump Team

R.I.P. Rob "Cooter" Coltrane - OPFOR & Knight Stalker - Best of the Best, 1952 - 2010
LoneWolf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:52 PM #5
RojPup

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf99 View Post
Given the inherent inaccuracy of paintballs & the fact that the head is often the only thing you see of a player, trying to enforce that type of rule is not only impossible in practice but incredibly stupid as well.
This. When I get a barrel break, I just keep firing. The paint will curve in every direction possible for a few shots and would pretty much guarantee that I'd miss my intended target, which would be dead center mass. Plus what about someone who abuses that rule? I'd make sure the ONLY thing I stick out from the side of a bunker would be my mask because I'd know that I'd stay in if someone shot me there.

When I've been shot in the mask, I KNOW I am out. Plus one of the top safety items that you NEED TO MAINTAIN is your mask by regularly checking for fatigue on the plastic and looking for micro cracks along the edges of the lens. If you don't do that and your goggles fail on you, then it's YOUR problem for not properly maintaining your personal protective equipment.

Always make sure your tanks are in hydro and make sure your goggles will let you be able to see the next time you want to play. Common sense.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:08 PM #6
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
I tend to distinguish between a "headshot" and a "maskshot". They're not really the same thing.

Shoot me in my mask all you want. I buy quality masks, and change the lens every year. Plus you hardly feel them (though you know it happened). I really see no purpose to trying to prevent shots to the mask.

But the rest of the head. The top, the back, the exposed neck. Well, those hurt like hell when you get hit there. I could see a field trying to limit the shots to those areas, especially with a lot of new players. Though there's not a whole lot to be gained by having the hit player stay in. That just encourages people to abuse the rule.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:52 PM #7
FuzzyMcFatAss (Banned)

I'm proud when I shoot someone in the head. Smaller target makes for more of a satisfactory hit. I don't go around intentionally doing it, but I'm not going to intentionally not go for it. If people are going to be Sallys about it, gtfo. Take it like a champ.
FuzzyMcFatAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:12 PM #8
christian10219

I think mask shots are perfectly fine, and always getting those shots make you feel pretty good about yourself
christian10219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:05 PM #9
fightfightfight

fightfightfight is attending Decay of Nations VI
that rule is stupid. Pretty much more than half the time you are shooting at each others' heads popping in and out of cover. If the field care so much they should have full coverage masks for the noobs. Bare head shots hurt like hell but I then got a JT spectra proflex 8 full coverage and now it not even issue.

Last edited by fightfightfight : 09-18-2011 at 11:08 PM.
fightfightfight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:43 AM #10
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Many years ago I played at a field where head shots don't count. It meant that players got used to sticking their heads out more than normal and guess what? This resulted in more head shots. It's a dumb rule made up by field owners that want players in the game longer so they can sell more paint.

I can't see a field that eliminates the player shooting another player in the head, lasting very long. I know I wouldn't play there.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:35 AM #11
ghost93

ghost93 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ghost93 is for the Gunfight
ghost93 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ghost93 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintballer_23_93 View Post
To me, that seems like the best place to be shot unless it's in the back of the head, that would hurt. The mask is suppose to protect you. Most mask have a limit of 300 fps and most fields make sure that the guns are shooting under that. Plus if you get shot in the mask, it doesn't hurt and it's easy to check if the ball broke or not. It's probably the safest and best place to get shot besides your pod pack.
ALL paintball masks are required to be tested well beyond 300 fps.
ghost93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:59 AM #12
nerdcore
Radical!

nerdcore is playing at Living Legends VII
nerdcore is a top reviewer
Local field doesn't discourage headshots, as in the entire head, but in recball they DO discourage close-up shots above the pack line (there's usually a surrender rule in effect, anyway). For scrims on the airball, only tourney rules apply.

Personally, i aim for lenses, i don't aim for heads. I've been hit on various parts of my head at various times, and all of it is unpleasant. If i'm within 15-20 ft, i aim low, unless their gun is sticking out, then that's getting a free paint job.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:06 PM #13
Iron Mang Mike
Getting Back In the Game

Iron Mang Mike owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
As long as masks are being used there shouldn't be a problem and like stated before it'll cause abuse of just sticking your head out to see where others are. If you're really concerned about getting hit in the head wear a beanie with extra padding or a hat to avoid the direct impact.
Iron Mang Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:14 PM #14
FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise posts videos on PbNation
Headhunting is fun... I was playing last spring and was in the deadzone and EVERY single player in the deadbox was out from a headshot! (7 different guys and a girl) it was pretty funny.

Two guys got into a firefight right next to us and BOTH shot each other in the face while we were watching.

headshots are fun, and rarely cause any problems (though I have seen guys get their face cut from a ball flying under their mask)
I've been hit in the back of the head so hard my head rung! and I wear a full helmet JT flex 8!

But, I'd rather get hit in the helmet as it is just fun, and you instantly KNOW you are out!

at 2:30 is a good headshot on my cousin!

Old 09-19-2011, 02:17 PM #15
SKI008
Fear my Join Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
I tend to distinguish between a "headshot" and a "maskshot". They're not really the same thing.

Shoot me in my mask all you want. I buy quality masks, and change the lens every year. Plus you hardly feel them (though you know it happened). I really see no purpose to trying to prevent shots to the mask.

But the rest of the head. The top, the back, the exposed neck. Well, those hurt like hell when you get hit there. I could see a field trying to limit the shots to those areas, especially with a lot of new players. Though there's not a whole lot to be gained by having the hit player stay in. That just encourages people to abuse the rule.
This. Mask shots are safe. Getting drilled in the back or top of the head sucks.

Personally if I CAN hit someone somewhere else I will just because I don't want to hit them in the throat or something. That being said, I love blasting people in the face in a gunfight and seeing the spray go everywhere.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:25 AM #16
mister2driver
This is my PUMP BADGE

mister2driver plays in the PSP
mister2driver plays in the APPA D4 division
mister2driver has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
mister2driver supports Empire
Personally when playing rec ball I always try and play nice against n00bs. Never give them the head shots. But more experienced players I still hesitiate but if it's tourney play then sorry for ya!!!

Peace-

KAMANDAG Bang Out Games @ WARPED & AMBUSH

mister2driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:37 AM #17
crippy02
Dat Coonass

crippy02 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
crippy02 is for the Gunfight
crippy02 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
crippy02 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
crippy02 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
It's kinda like what you get taught in weapons training. Once the bullet leaves the barrel, you can't control it. Likewise, once the paintball leaves the barrel, it is affected by many variables. I could be aiming center mass and end up gogging you because of a minute ammount of moisture on that particular paintball causing it to curl. So, under a no headshot rule, I be penalized for something beyond my control.

I enjoy headhunting, though. It is true, a ball will break easier on a gog than on a gut. as long as you have a mask on that covers ears, eyes and mouth, you're fine, stop whining.

You air up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there... your world is right for the next couple hours, this is your heaven on earth.. live it.. love it.. Paintball

CK MAFIA
crippy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:05 PM #18
boobie817

boobie817 is playing at Living Legends V
boobie817 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
if anything other than your head and gun are sticking out your doing something wrong. unless your on the move you should only get headshots all day. IMO
boobie817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:48 PM #19
Lamron
Metrowest Bulldogs #5

Lamron has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Lamron is attending Decay of Nations VI
I played at a place in the mid 80's(indoor) and to discourage blind fire, headshots didn't count. That made you look before you shot so no one was right around the corner.

I think headshots are fine in most cases. If I'm bunkering someone I always aim low.

To penalize the shooter is just pure stupidity.

Aug 9th 2014 Fox 4 Paintball in Mass. I wrote and my team is hosting a scenario game based on the board game Monopoly. Come down and check out a unique and fun game. :-)
Lamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:49 PM #20
Xal
Red Text

Xal owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Xal posts videos on PbNation
Xal has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Xal has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Xal is attending Decay of Nations VI
Never played where headshots were illegal, they just say try to avoid shooting someone in the head which is understandable. I've been shot in the head and I've also shot other people in the head, but I'll avoid shooting someone in the head if I have a clear shot on any other part of their body.
Xal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:46 AM #21
zraven7

On a field I used to play a long while back, mask shots were known as the "courtesy shot". It was one of the few shots you were relatively sure wasn't gonna hurt the person, and they knew they were out, no paint check needed. That being said, I've taken a hit right behind the ear. It hurt a lot.

Honestly, I think this thread seems to be getting the point. You don't blast someone in the forehead unless you have no other shot, and you ask for a surrender first when you can. I'm all for being nice to newbs, kids, and renters, but the fact that paintballs hurt is a reality of the sport. Be considerate, check on people, apologize when needed, and for pete's sake, DO NOT BONUS BALL SOMEONE IN THE HEAD!!!

(I doubt any of you need that last line, but I wanted to throw it out there just in case some lurker didn't know)
zraven7 is offline   Reply With Quote