Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-31-2011, 02:15 PM #1
Jebus Christ
Praise Jebus!

Do you ever feel tech service people don't listen to a word you say?

I went into the Sprint Store today, jumped on their $8 insurance plan (dropping it in a week) because my phone was having some problems. The phones been acting a bit weird lately so I brought it in to see if they could check it out. I complained that the phone was shutting off saying the battery had 15% left but when turned back on it was above 75%.

I drop it off and an hour later when I get back, all they had done was change the lcd on it, well not really. They swapped in another random lcd and told me another one was being ordered for me.

So basically I went in for a battery issue I'm going to be leaving with a new front screen and back cover. I was going to argue more with them but honestly, I dropped my phone on concrete the other day and it got some scratches and small dents/scuffs so this screen and back swap will make it look brand new. I plan on selling it soon so this will help make it sell more as opposed to some random issues here and there.

Still though, has anyone here had any experiences where tech support basically didn't even seem to be listening to a word you were saying?

"Originally posted by Ben-Oblivion : Jebus , You are full of win and flavr. I will never doubt your holyness again."

Vist my new tech Blog: www.brokemanstech.com
Jebus Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2011, 02:24 PM #2
plushdragon

has been a member for 10 years
plushdragon helped look for balloons
had that type of issue with sears

got a sear brand tv as a gift with home service.the tv lost all the channels expect 3 and 4. called sears up and they came with just the tuner and not the whole main board.the guy melted like 1/2 the main board swapping out the tuner..was funny when the tv blew up on the guy when he power it on. got a newer tv from sears from the guy screw up. the main board only had three plugs on it to remove it.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:57 PM #3
erayser
AlternativePB.com

Annual Supporting Member
erayser is a Moderator
erayser is a Supporting Member
erayser is BST Legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by plushdragon View Post
got a sear brand tv as a gift with home service.the tv lost all the channels expect 3 and 4. called sears up and they came with just the tuner and not the whole main board.the guy melted like 1/2 the main board swapping out the tuner..was funny when the tv blew up on the guy when he power it on. got a newer tv from sears from the guy screw up. the main board only had three plugs on it to remove it.
LOL... Seems like it's easier for techs to change out full modules to fix things these days... which you would think is easier. Great that you got a new TV out of it.

A while back... I had an old Sony Wega 57" projector screen that wouldn't turn on after a few years... and it's been sitting in our living room for maybe a year or 2 broken. I wanted to get rid of it, but since I can plug HDMI devices in it... I thought I would call one of those tech's that does free estimates. He opened it... and did some troubleshooting... and he estimated $400 for a new board and labor. I thanked him for his time, and planned on disposing. I looked online for the simptoms, and found that is was common issue that can be a $2 diode. I just bought the $2 diode from Sony's site, and soldered in the new one... and the TV is working great. I thought... if I blow it up fixing it with a $2 part, I am planning to throw it out anyway.
erayser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:02 PM #4
Angry_Birds
Money over *****es

LOL just two days ago my wireless printer wouldn't power on, and the chat went something like this:

Me: my wireless printer won't power on, I've tried switching outlets (and the green light on the AC adapter is on, indicating that the adapter is working)
Him: Ok, Peter, first we will have to verify whether or not your printer is getting power
Him: Please try to plug it into another outlet
Me: I did that with no results
Him: Please try unplugging the power cord and plugging it back in (WTF?)
Me: I did that with no results
Him: OK, Peter, I will email you a Return Materials Authorization for the power cord.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:20 PM #5
cameron122000
*714*

cameron122000 helped look for balloons
cameron122000 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
lmao I work in student tech support so it's not as bad, but sometimes I get calls and I just think, "FUUUUU" to myself. Like people will bring in their laptops saying they couldn't figure out how to fix it, but when I try to help they just go on and on about how their hard drive is full from the power of their programs (I think they mean memory, but whatever). Then they point to the screen and say that things aren't showing up right on it.

ST:Tech - waitwut.
cameron122000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:10 PM #6
Oedipus
god save captain slow

Oedipus supports DLX Technology
Even though I deal with tech support homies almost on a daily basis, the product they are supporting is usually either a.) very obscure or b.) very expensive, so the support is really good and really American. Only when I deal with the consumer-type CS do I have issues in this regard, and even then I understand where they're coming from if they don't take what I say at face value. That said, there's probably no good reason why they swapped your LCD.
Oedipus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:01 PM #7
Jebus Christ
Praise Jebus!

He told me its because he started touching the capacitive buttons on the bottom and they were doing incorrect actions (hitting home and it going back instead and vice versa). Now that I think of it, I really hope he just wasn't used to his android phone and didn't realize that each of them has a different configuration.

Like I said, the only reason I didn't sit there and ***** and moan more is because I am going to turn around and sell this thing in about a month. With the dings it got, I actually got lucky that they are basically swapping out everything to make this phone look almost brand new. I'm paying $8 for a brand new screen and back, can't really complain since I will sell the phone for $200-250 easy.

"Originally posted by Ben-Oblivion : Jebus , You are full of win and flavr. I will never doubt your holyness again."

Old 08-31-2011, 11:13 PM #8
paintballbum
.ılıl.

paintballbum is a Supporting Member
as a tech, it's because people lie. Customers would swear they would do something, I go and do it and it works. It saves you time if you always check the easy things and MAKE them do it, rather than assume it's a more complex issue
paintballbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:20 PM #9
AKMetal
wat?

AKMetal is reppin' sidebar 4 life
whats the OP say? i wasnt listening
AKMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:29 PM #10
Jebus Christ
Praise Jebus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballbum View Post
as a tech, it's because people lie. Customers would swear they would do something, I go and do it and it works. It saves you time if you always check the easy things and MAKE them do it, rather than assume it's a more complex issue
I understand this concern but how does me coming in complaining about battery/service issues equal LCD swap?

And to the dude above *shakes fist angrily*

Old 09-02-2011, 07:17 PM #11
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

Little_PB_Newb is a Paintball photographer
Little_PB_Newb donated to help Peyton Trent
Little_PB_Newb supports Team VICIOUS
called my cable provider and told them I needed a new HDMI cord since I heard they just started carrying them instead of the red, blue, green component cables. I told them the box was already an HD ready box and I just needed the cord, but the lady on the phone insisted they need to come over here and swap the entire box, and when I told her that wasn't necessary as it already had an HDMI port and the blue light was on indicating HD service, she said that was too technical for her

I now have an appointment with a tech crew at my house on september 13th because I was too cheap to buy a new HDMI cord.
Little_PB_Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:09 PM #12
mrtramplefoot
I dont really own a Luxe

mrtramplefoot supports DLX Technology

"Originally posted by Ziya92: Apple in all their creativity could have chosen, at the very least, a flavorful cultivar such as the Blenheim Orange. "

"Originally posted by {InsertUsernameHere}: lol france."
mrtramplefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:30 PM #13
Oedipus
god save captain slow

>woman
>computer
Old 09-05-2011, 09:32 PM #14
RHChan84
You Suck At Life! QUIT!!!

RHChan84 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballbum View Post
Same here. I hear issues like this from time to time. I get called up to go onto a site and found that a Fuse was blown they were asked to check as well as I asked to check fuses and they said it's good but it wasn't.
Or I go on site and the problem is completely different then what they were explaining to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus Christ View Post
I understand this concern but how does me coming in complaining about battery/service issues equal LCD swap?

And to the dude above *shakes fist angrily*
And there are also dumb techs. But there are good techs as well.
RHChan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:18 PM #15
Oedipus
god save captain slow

I like it when I go to a client for one particular item (and have budgeted my schedule as such) and then I find out that they have a laundry list of **** for me to look at. Or the whole "While you're here..." bull****.

Dear client: **** you.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:43 PM #16
rnauman821
I Ring the Bell

rnauman821 is a Supporting Member
rnauman821 is Legendary
Last week I called Hp business to have a printer worked on. It was purchased in January and it now prints like a zebra. I have replaced the toner and no dice. So they won't take my call.. it refers me to their online live support.

It's terrible, it takes 3 minutes for the person to respond and their responses are usually irrelevant. After about 20 minutes I enter the S/N and model. They inform me I am out of my warranty. It's a 3 year warranty and she claims it was a 1 year. I politely tell her that even if that is so (the box in from of me says 3), I have several months left according to even her numbers. We bicker before I ask for a manager and threaten to never buy for our business again. I have to repeat all that I had typed out to her. I have to send a copy of the invoice before they honor the warranty and even then they charge me $70 to ship it both ways.

So 4 hours of my time and $70 to fix a $3000 printer that they we purchased because of the "excellent" service HP is known for.
rnauman821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:44 PM #17
Oedipus
god save captain slow

What model printer?
Old 09-05-2011, 11:44 PM #18
skylermertz
Army- 19K

the other day i was doing a factory wipe on my iphone 4 so i could go sell the piece of ****. anyways deal went south and i now have a phone without service so i go to a verizon store and ask them to just reactivate my phone and they act all clueless like wtf is he saying? reactivate? they call their support hotline for advice and they tell them to tell me to go home and plug it into my computer and download the latest firmware for it and see if that fixes my problem. of course it doesnt fix it so the next day i go to a different verizon store and ask them to reactivate my phone and they have the same reaction and they tell me to do the same thing. finally 3 days later i go to my friends verizon store in a different town and he plugs the phone into the computer and asks for my account information then dials a number on my phone and bam full service.

i know verizon just had some huge strike but god damn dont hire up retards to fill the positions of people who actually know what they are doing.
skylermertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:10 PM #19
pa1ntball 56
Hi my name isn't Titties

pa1ntball 56 plays in the PSP
pa1ntball 56 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
pa1ntball 56 is an NCPA player
pa1ntball 56 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
verizons strike was mainly network techs, not retail - just proves they hire idiots

being in law tech support, you have to learn to filter issue from story - 99 percent of the time, i could care less about story, just to get to the less than 5 percent of the words they say where they actually express an issue instead of crying (literally, it has happened) on the phone.

and relating to meme above, today I spent over 10 minutes trying to teach someone how to take a screenshot.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:30 PM #20
Oedipus
god save captain slow

"Law" as in attorneys/law offices?
Old 09-07-2011, 06:30 PM #21
pa1ntball 56
Hi my name isn't Titties

pa1ntball 56 plays in the PSP
pa1ntball 56 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
pa1ntball 56 is an NCPA player