Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-09-2011, 04:18 PM #1
YouGotOwned

Texas A&M Open Results/Feedback Thread

Thanks to all those who attended and survived the long day. Luckily, it didn't rain. Thanks to Ray for hosting the event, A&M for being the host team, and the refs for their hard work.

Results:

1) Texas A&M Maroon
2) University of Houston
3) Sam Houston State
4) University of North Texas
5) Texas A&M White
6) Baylor Green

Keep it constructive (as in, I can use it to improve future events).
YouGotOwned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2011, 04:24 PM #2
YouGotOwned

Event 3 thread:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...3#post73144743
Old 10-09-2011, 05:37 PM #3
PBGirl<3
Narwhals are awesome

PBGirl<3 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I was curious why at http://www.paintball-players.org/sco...topScores.html it says that the top 6 are different teams. What is the reason for this?
PBGirl<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:20 PM #4
blxbx

blxbx plays in the PSP
blxbx owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
blxbx supports Team VICIOUS
blxbx is an NCPA player
In the prelims New Mexico finished 6th but they didn't move on because they finished 4th in their bracket and Baylor Green finished 7th but they got to move on to the quarter finals because they got third in their bracket. Baylor Green then got 6th in the quarter finals which gave them 6th for the event.
blxbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:11 PM #5
PBGirl<3
Narwhals are awesome

PBGirl<3 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Thank you!
PBGirl<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:27 PM #6
Xtreem-Animal!!!

this is probably the wrong thread for this, but lets get a link to some photo albums from this event! all that clay dust should make for some sick pics lol

Last edited by Xtreem-Animal!!! : 10-10-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Xtreem-Animal!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:00 PM #7
General Cole
NLD Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
General Cole plays in the PSP
General Cole posts videos on PbNation
General Cole is an NCPA player
General Cole plays in the APPA D4 division
General Cole is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
General Cole is Boss
General Cole supports Empire
This scoring system is pretty bad. I didn't see anywhere how the scoring was setup. And even then, getting a better score than another team (and a better finish time) should mean we get to finals instead of that team. I'm just a wee bit upset that we finished sixth in prelims and didn't move on. And the debacle with the paint.... It was pretty bad.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:23 PM #8
fishandpaintball
Verret

fishandpaintball plays in the PSP
fishandpaintball is an NCPA player
fishandpaintball plays in the APPA D4 division
Agree on the paint, and it was our event. Unfortunately, I had no say in the decision.

As for the rest, I felt the refs were great about getting in there and checking people and just staying on top of things. I'm not just saying that because A&M won either. I believe most would agree with me.

As for the layout, lesson learned. Use a shorter layout for paint consumption reasons, we shot A LOT of paint.
President - Texas A&M Paintball #22

Galveston Island Paintball - Honey Badgers

HOUSTON FORCE
fishandpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:00 AM #9
YouGotOwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Cole View Post
This scoring system is pretty bad. I didn't see anywhere how the scoring was setup. And even then, getting a better score than another team (and a better finish time) should mean we get to finals instead of that team. I'm just a wee bit upset that we finished sixth in prelims and didn't move on. And the debacle with the paint.... It was pretty bad.

From what I'm looking at in the scores, there were 2 brackets and the top 3 were taken from each. So UNT, SHSU, and A&M White in one and A&M Maroon, UH, and Baylor Green in the other. If I am correct with this assumption, then that should clear up most of the confusion.

As for scoring, they were correct and the system is NOT bad. Unfortunately, there are 13 teams playing for 6 spots, so not everybody will make it through. The ref marks down the Game Point and Game Time Remaining. I then enter that scoresheet into the APPA system which calculates all the scores. The NCPA also manually checks tie-breakers (I believe for 3-way ties) so that the playoff teams are accurate.

http://www.paintball-players.org/sco...res/index.html

Last edited by YouGotOwned : 10-10-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:23 AM #10
str8_chronic
Z-Becks

str8_chronic supports Cereal Killerz 2
str8_chronic is an NCPA player
str8_chronic plays in the APPA D4 division
Honestly after the whole paint fiasco and bs pricing at this event..i doubt ill ever play at 5j again, 60 bucks for bronze that didnt even shoot straight and 50 a case for rec sport? cmon now we understand paint will be more expensive at a tournament but it is also understood that we will be shooting higher quality paint..ridiculous
Pi Kappa Alpha

str8_chronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:43 PM #11
(dr)
deft

has been a member for 10 years
I will say a few things about the event, it was my first NCPA and I had a blast. That being said, here are the pros/cons from my experience.

Pro
- Good location (more personal preference but it was right off the main I-45 and in my hometown)
- Good staff
- Some of the best reffing I've seen, no joke, those dudes were taking shots and still checking, they even checked people I saw hit and yelled from the sidelines. They did a great job considering how many bounces everyone was getting
- Very safe. They were aggressive with enforcing barrel socks.

Con
- rocky field, very rough for front players. I'll include the dustiness under this point as it kind of had a cool effect whenever you slid into a bunker
- the paint. they ran out and it was some of the most bounce-prone paint I've shot in awhile. I mean, hopper and lens bounces. Definitely not worth the money, it shot like $30-40 paint.

Pretty much covers it I think. All things considered I had an awesome time. I appreciate all the hard work that went into the event from all parties. Looking forward to seeing all the teams again.

Last edited by (dr) : 10-10-2011 at 01:25 PM.
(dr) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:03 PM #12
texaspaintballplpaye

Annual Supporting Member
texaspaintballplpaye is a Supporting Member
texaspaintballplpaye is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishandpaintball View Post
As for the layout, lesson learned. Use a shorter layout for paint consumption reasons, we shot A LOT of paint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspaintballplpaye View Post
Also paint consumption was outrageous on the longer layout at Zone in February last year. I'm not about to make teams fork out over $1,000 in paint to reach finals.
Good to know lesson was learned after the second ATM event.
texaspaintballplpaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:00 PM #13
General Cole
NLD Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
General Cole plays in the PSP
General Cole posts videos on PbNation
General Cole is an NCPA player
General Cole plays in the APPA D4 division
General Cole is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
General Cole is Boss
General Cole supports Empire
I looked over the bracket system that is provided by the live scoring and it cleared up my issues with not understanding the scoring system. The paint was still crazy terrible and the refs were great, no doubt about it. Hopefully we can win at least one more game at the third event and make it into finals as a rookie team. I think that maybe more communication (and a smaller field) will make it cheaper for everyone playing and hopefully not cause the field to run out of its limited supply of moderate paint so that we can actually play paintball. I mean I watched one of the Baylor guys run someone down and when they should have traded, only the shots on the tank broke. If he hadn't run out of bounds, he'd be alive to finish the game with the paint that everyone was made to shoot. I'd also like to see less teams bringing paint in. I saw some high grade paint come in that I know wasn't sold at the venue. Not calling everyone cheaters, but if everyone is getting the same handicap, you should have it too. Good move by the field to bring the price of paint down when they were bringing it in from other fields though.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:02 PM #14
azzhander
BLAH!

azzhander plays in the PSP
azzhander is an NCPA player
Definitely shorter layouts. Better paint. The event at Zone shot less paint than this even and ran faster. Lets get staging/air/field closer to each other. Those long walks suck.

Cant watch other teams and your stuff at once. Or get ready in a timely manner at that. Decent event either way. But it was hosted at 5J. What else could we expect? lol
azzhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:27 PM #15
YouGotOwned

My thoughts on everyone's comments (I've taken everything everyone has said so far into consideration):

The long walks were a pain, yes, but from what I was told, the Xball field was moved to the back because of paint flying and hitting the business in front of the field. I can't do anything about that because it is a very legitimate reason. There must be sacrifices made to keep good relationships. Air hoses extending 400ft would have cost nearly $2k, something I can't require the field to do. However, to all the teams. We didn't have any problem getting teams on the field in a timely manner. And to the field owners and staff for a smoothly run event. Games went slowly because of the layout, but games kept on running.

For the paint, I apologize to all those who expected better paint (pretty much everyone). I expected at least something like a DXS Silver brand or something very similar for at least one of the tiers of paint. In the future, I'm going to get a 100% confirmation rather than a "it will most likely/probably be X and Y paint."

As for the layout: Lesson learned. Last year, when we ran the PSP Galveston Layout at Zone, I thought games ran longer simply because the new dimensions were brand new to everyone (Zone was practically the first to put them up only a week or two before). However, after this event, I'm convinced that this is not the case. Whatever the reason, from here on out I will be encouraging all host teams to use the 150ft dimension. I can't force anybody to do anything, but I can at least encourage it, especially since the SCCC has added new teams this year. At SCCC1, most games ran for 30 seconds to 2 minutes at the max. This is why we started 2 hours late and ended prelims within a couple of hours (amazing time, mind you). There were very few games that were slower than 2min. There were plenty of No Points and long games (4min, 4:51, etc) in SCCC2. GOOD NEWS: IT DIDN'T RAIN. I almost had a heart attack thinking about the nightmares that would have ensued if rain delayed everything.

Refs: I think they did well. I didn't see many penalties in the beginning (could have just been me), but I saw them pick up throughout the day. I saw some missed penalties, but that happens everywhere. They were very responsive to checking people.

Scoring: I apologize for any confusion that I brought up in explanations of the scoring. It turns out I was wrong in a couple of my explanations (ex: games that are 1-1-1 has no winner), but do not fret. I enter the correctly marked scoresheets and let the APPA/NCPA do all the calculating. This is why I haul a Macbook, bulky printer, and Sprint Wireless card to every event... so I can make sure that scores aren't screwed up.

Also, thanks to everyone for keeping this thread tame. I'm glad hell hasn't broken loose. Everything is turning out to be very constructive

Last edited by YouGotOwned : 10-10-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:40 PM #16
YouGotOwned

FAQ at the events (since I got asked each of these like 50 times):

Q: Amir, why isn't TCU playing today?
A: Fall Break. I couldn't field squads. Apparently some students here statistically proved that me having better GPAs in the spring is attributed to Spring Break. So they gave us a fall break.

Q: Amir, did you know you have gray hairs?
A: Yes. Rumor has it that premature graying means you won't go bald. Which is great, because my dad started at 21. I'm 21.

Q: Amir, did you wear a maroon shirt to support A&M?
A: No. Maroon just plays well with my beautiful skin tone.

Last edited by YouGotOwned : 10-12-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:10 PM #17
azzhander
BLAH!

azzhander plays in the PSP
azzhander is an NCPA player
I recall the answer to the last one a tad off lol
azzhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:33 PM #18
YouGotOwned

which last question
Old 10-11-2011, 04:09 AM #19
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Cole View Post
This scoring system is pretty bad. I didn't see anywhere how the scoring was setup. And even then, getting a better score than another team (and a better finish time) should mean we get to finals instead of that team. I'm just a wee bit upset that we finished sixth in prelims and didn't move on.
You needed to finish 3rd in your bracket to move on, so where the numbers in your score were compared to others was not the relevant criteria.

Yes, the numbers in your score were higher than a team in the other bracket, but you played entirely different opponents, so that's a big like saying you should advance because your score was 32 degrees Fahrenheit and the other team only got 20 degrees Celsius.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:14 AM #20
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Side note, require 150' foot dimensions. There's no reason you can't fit a 150' layout on a field designed for 170'.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:36 AM #21
Cameron Hagen Photos
Photographer

Cameron Hagen Photos is a Paintball photographer
Cameron Hagen Photos owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Hey everyone! Great event at least from a photographer's perspective
I wanted to give you guys a link to my facebook page as well as my smugmug page so you guys can get the pictures I took.

Click the picture for the link to the TAMU Open Smugmug page
And the link to my Facebook page is in my sig
(Pictures are still being uploaded, I have more than 1600 pictures so just be patient)

Shoot me a message if you need help figuring out how to download them