PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-26-2011, 03:48 AM #1
B2KOwNeR12 (Banned)
ಠ_ಠ

laptop wireless issues

Ever since I replaced my laptop(Dell XPS Studio 16) hard drive after the first one crashed, I'm having issues with my wireless internet(keep getting dropped, or is as slow as dialup).

its a fresh reinstall of Vista Premium 64bit and I have the newest drivers for the wireless card installed. Our connection is encrypted and prior to the hdd failing I never had issues with the wireless router.

I've googled and tried things like resetting the router to defaults, adjusted the power-settings to never shut off the wireless adapter, etc. but nothings really helping. My other laptop, xbox and desktop all on wireless connections never have any issues with the router.

Any ideas? Appreciate any help from the networking gurus
B2KOwNeR12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2011, 12:17 PM #2
Angry_Birds
Money over *****es

If nothing else is having any issues then it's the network card in the laptop.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:34 PM #3
plushdragon

has been a member for 10 years
plushdragon helped look for balloons
re:

to the op with most laptops the case is the ant system for the wifi card.depending on where the hd is and how easy it was to get out you may have pop the wifi card out of the mb. on some laptops it an add on card and it may have walked from age or heat. found this that some dell network card have more then one ant and sometime people have had to change the setttings to get there network card to see the routers.
http://blog.montopolis.com/2008/04/0...ctivity-issue/

Last edited by plushdragon : 08-26-2011 at 12:41 PM.
plushdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:05 AM #4
B2KOwNeR12 (Banned)
ಠ_ಠ

plushdragon - i was hoping that would help but apparently i can't get to the aux antenna

so i contacted dell support and they want $210 before they help me.. so I asked for a $1,600 refund for this laptop so I could buy a laptop from another manufacturer. I thought buying an XPS meant I'd get the best of the best but instead I've had to replace the screen, hard drive(3 times), 2gb memory module and keyboard. I told the tech support:

- "I realize you're trying your best to help but I'm somewhat computer savvy and I've tried almost everything to the best of my knowledge"

"I can provide remote support if you agree to a $210 software agreement"

- "I paid ~$1600 for this laptop. would you feel ripped off if you've had this many problems at this point?"

"yes I would and I understand your frustration but -"

- "LOOK. I'm returning more than one computer at this point, My fathers desktop & laptop and my XPS. I've never had such a ****ty product in my life. Please tell me what I can do to return these computers because I'm disgusted with Dell. I'm contacting someone who can help me in the time being because you're not helping me at all".
Old 08-27-2011, 02:26 AM #5
pb_kidd
Puppies on acid

pb_kidd is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by plushdragon View Post
to the op with most laptops the case is the ant system for the wifi card.
Uh.. No. You're saying Lenovo and other companies that produce plastic-cased machines somehow use that plastic as an antenna? In reality, most laptops have antennae around the display to get in the proper orientation to be most effective. These connect to headers on the cards which can be seen here for Broadcom, Intel, and Atheros based cards which are big players in the wireless market.

B2KOwNeR12: Its possible you have a bad card or maybe one of the antenna have come loose or wasn't installed properly when it was built. Seems like you're already set on dumping Dell... Depending on what you're planning to do with the machine I'm partial to Lenovo for a fairly solid machine, but I've been issued an HP Elitebook for work and it's also a good machine. I actually prefer the HP keyboard over the crap Lenovo has started putting in their recent machines.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:03 AM #6
B2KOwNeR12 (Banned)
ಠ_ಠ

I like this laptop alot.. 1080p display, bluray player, plenty fast, can handle most games when I play them.. multitasks well with what I do. It just seems too fragile. What's odd is I never had problems prior to the hard drive crashing..

I'm just upset Dell would **** me over when I'm only 1 month past my warranty.. They're known for their customer support.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:31 PM #7
Oedipus
god save captain slow

Oedipus supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2KOwNeR12 View Post
I like this laptop alot.. 1080p display, bluray player, plenty fast, can handle most games when I play them.. multitasks well with what I do. It just seems too fragile. What's odd is I never had problems prior to the hard drive crashing..

I'm just upset Dell would **** me over when I'm only 1 month past my warranty.. They're known for their customer support.
It's out of warranty... deal with it. They're no longer under any obligation to help you, for free anyway. Their XPS support is pretty meh anyways; buy a Latitude or Precision next time and you will be in awe of the American CS.

Worse comes to worse, replace the card. Good ones are like 30 bucks new. If it's anything like my M1530, the card is very easy to replace. What card is in there now, anyway?
Oedipus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:30 PM #8
B2KOwNeR12 (Banned)
ಠ_ಠ

Intel WifiLink 5300.. I dont know if its the card that's the issue or the antenna? It sees my network and others that are houses away..

Antenna's are usually built into the lid correct? I'm probably gonna pull it apart tonight and take a look to see if anything is disconnected.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:41 PM #9
Blazestorm2
I like me

Intel cards are generally really good.

I wouldn't pull apart the lid, I doubt the antennas are bad. But you might have bumped the connections on the card itself which is probably on the bottom somewhere. It's a tiny card about 1" by .5" and should have 2-3 little wires snapped onto it.
Blazestorm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:14 PM #10
B2KOwNeR12 (Banned)
ಠ_ಠ

I've never really messed around with laptops before. Is it something I can pull out and reseat like a processor?
Old 08-27-2011, 08:20 PM #11
Angry_Birds
Money over *****es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazestorm2 View Post
Intel cards are generally really good.

I wouldn't pull apart the lid, I doubt the antennas are bad. But you might have bumped the connections on the card itself which is probably on the bottom somewhere. It's a tiny card about 1" by .5" and should have 2-3 little wires snapped onto it.
If the wires were disconnected I doubt the computer would see the card at all. From his description it seems like he's just having intermittent issues. You might want to just buy a USB 2.0 wireless adapter like this:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0358063

and disable the old one under "advance adapter settings" in "network connections". That specific model is tiny and any time somebody needs a wireless-n adapter I swing by Microcenter and pick one up on the way. It might be annoying having a little dongle sticking out, but it's probably cheaper and much more convenient than trying to replace the internal one. Not to mention I've run into issues where the internal cards varied between production runs and weren't always compatible even if they were the same model.

I do IT consulting for small businesses in addition to my day-job (also I.T.), and the one thing I have learned is that Dell makes really terrible products for home consumers. Their business line is 1000x better and that's pretty much all I recommend if anybody asks.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:42 PM #12
plushdragon

plushdragon helped look for balloons
re:

this is what the card looks like.
http://www.parts-people.com/index.ph...n=item&id=8639
if dell replaced the drive under warranty they may have not seated the card right. if it been 30 days or less from the hd repair call dell back and ask for a level 2 or 3 customer support rep.tell them they replaced the hd and broke the wifi card. most times they may send you the card if it just turn the laptop over and swap the card. if you think the unit is a lemon use your state lemon laws or small claims.
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1180188
just rember to pull the battery and power before you pull the card.

Last edited by plushdragon : 08-27-2011 at 09:48 PM.
plushdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:31 PM #13
Blazestorm2
I like me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Birds View Post
If the wires were disconnected I doubt the computer would see the card at all. From his description it seems like he's just having intermittent issues.
No, if the wires were loose or disconnected he would get ****ty connection / drop-outs. The card is physically plugged into the system and usually screwed down, and then has antennas attached to it which increase the signal strength/distance.

I wouldn't waste money for a USB adapter especially on a modern laptop, you can replace the internal card if it's dead in < 60 seconds if you know what you're doing. I paid $30 for my Intel 6300 I stuck in my laptop... which is one of the better cards you can buy.

And the business line for any company (Dell, HP, Lenovo) is always better than their consumer line. Because they know companies won't put up with **** and buy in high volume. It's nice that they sell their business class stuff to consumers though and you still get the same support/warranty. But you end up paying a lot more compared to a consumer device...
Blazestorm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:08 PM #14
B2KOwNeR12 (Banned)
ಠ_ಠ

I think I've narrowed it down to the wireless antenna..

I took the wireless card out of a spare laptop laying around and it connects to the wireless network but never got a FULL connection either.

I bought a mini-usb wireless adapter and it connects perfectly and fast.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:30 PM #15
rammstein_5v2
Idontfeelanditfeelsgreat

Get one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/High-Gain-Long.../ref=pd_cp_e_4

Has worked great for me thus far with my travels and getting the internet in the barracks or anywhere else where i get a weak signal. Plus i can use it on whatever computers i want.

How consistent
How can someone so consistently mess up as much as
Every instance
How can someone inconsistent mess up so consistently
rammstein_5v2 is offline   Reply With Quote