Community Focus

Old 08-25-2011, 05:46 PM #1
AaronGPB

AaronGPB owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
AaronGPB supports Pev's Paintball
AaronGPB has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
In-game swabs

Hey Nation,

I've been using some no-brand cheap swabs, and they're not cutting it. They all last a day, sometimes two. So I was curious what everyone's favorite swabs are. I just picked up one of those long straight shots with the rubber disk on one end and the loop for cloth on the other, so i'm gonna try that this weekend. I've seen dynasty using them at practice and have always been curious about them.

Thanks all.
AaronGPB
AaronGPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2011, 05:49 PM #2
EvilAuthorityX
PUMPER_TYLER

EvilAuthorityX is attending Decay of Nations VI
fuzzy style swabs should really be only used for one tourney. I usually buy a new one at th begining of a tourney. the high end microfiber style ones are too skinny to effectively clean the barrel so dont waste your money.

my personal favorite are the dye barrel swabs. mine has lasted for a few months in for normal rec use and i put it thru the washing machine all the time and it hasnt fallen apart yet. another good swab are Redz swabs they last pretty long too

Last edited by EvilAuthorityX : 08-25-2011 at 05:57 PM.
EvilAuthorityX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:00 PM #3
AaronGPB

Cool, I just tested the tippmann straight shot, and the thing is actually pretty impressive. It's spring loaded so it goes in sideways and comes out flat, in other words, it doesnt push paint into your barrel, or absorb it, it pulls it out. it's sort of like a convenient, on-field pull through.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:51 PM #4
DyE 5
ߪ qr

has been a member for 10 years
I use the empire battle swab, it's the same as the redz just grey. It also comes with a swab for between games.
http://www.wickedsports.com/mobile/pd_redz.cfm
DyE 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:17 PM #5
heisman01

heisman01 plays in the PSP
heisman01 donated to help Peyton Trent
heisman01 plays in the APPA D3 division
straight shots are the way to go, fluffies don't always work well or can come apart in the barrel if its a flex kind(dye/knock off).

Classic eclipse mag shooter
heisman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:34 PM #6
Japy
Paragon 2014

Annual Supporting Member
Japy is BST Legit
Japy plays in the PSP
Japy is playing at Living Legends VII
Japy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy supports Empire
Old school straight shots are the ****. Redz swabs are the best IMO when it comes to fuzzies. I picked up a pack with 1 straight, and one folded. Plus a 3 pack of folded swabs from ANS for cheap. I've been using the 1 folded and 1 straight one for months now- and 2 tourney events without issue. I also usually machine wash them and they haven't come apart.

I typically don't use the folded one during rec unless its middle of a game (following a quick straightshot usage to pick up anything it missed. My straight shot is like 11 years old after all). I try to use the straight redz swab so that I keep my folded one clean a little longer.

Looking for some Gats?
Japy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:22 PM #7
Hel_Bound

The straight shot works but its time consuming and require big movements. I prefer flex swabs in tournaments. They don't clean as well as the straight shots but they do a good enough job. The Redz and Exalt swabs are great, right now I'm using an NXE microfiber swab, it works but I would prefer if it were thicker.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:56 PM #8
AaronGPB

Yea. I tried one of the NXE swabs. It was alright. The idea of putting a slight spiral in it is good, but I doubt it's effectiveness. I am impressed with the old school tippmann straight shot. As previously said, it would be tough to use in a small bunker.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:26 PM #9
smokeage
Team Foxtrot

After I started putting Rain-x in my barrels I stopped carrying a swab altogether.

Usually 2 balls, 3-5 max, and im shooting just as straight as I would had I put a dirty *** squeegee down the barrel.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:48 PM #10
i8somepie
Michael Pasztor

Annual Supporting Member
i8somepie is an NCPA player
i8somepie plays in the APPA D5 division
I use valken swabs for rec play. They hold up fine. I just hand wash them lol.

Underground Sports - Underground Army
The Best DYE dealer in NE Ohio

YetiPB.com - The only place you'll ever need, ever
i8somepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:11 PM #11
ProjectRC

ProjectRC has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeage View Post
After I started putting Rain-x in my barrels I stopped carrying a swab altogether.

Usually 2 balls, 3-5 max, and im shooting just as straight as I would had I put a dirty *** squeegee down the barrel.
How thick is the layer of Rain-X?? And does it affect preformance at all??
ProjectRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:31 PM #12
xCerealKillerx
EMTB:who wants band-aids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectRC View Post
this
Old 08-26-2011, 09:13 PM #13
smokeage
Team Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectRC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xCerealKillerx View Post
this
I made a squeegee out of an old t-shirt and a shoe string. I stick the tip of the nozzle in the barrel, spray it a couple times and then run the squeegee through it once.

There are a couple things you can do to see it work right in front of your eyes.

1. Chrono- Chrono with and without Rain-x in the barrel. You should go up at least 10fps with the Rain-x.

2. Paint beading- Crack a paintball very carefully, put it in the breach and pull the trigger.

With a Rain-x'd barrel the paint should be beading up and with the same barrel and no Rain-x it will instead coat most of the surface area.

This will cause it to shoot through a break much cleaner and faster.

Also, I have no idea if this is legal in tourneys. Ive heard Rain-x in general is not allowed in the PSP or NPPL due to some shenanigans people tried pulling back in the day but im not 100%.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:17 PM #14
Japy
Paragon 2014

Annual Supporting Member
Japy is BST Legit
Japy plays in the PSP
Japy is playing at Living Legends VII
Japy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy supports Empire
Its not in the rulebook. Plus how would anyone know about you using it in your barrel?

I've heard some people say they use rain-x. Personally I really hate the idea of putting a silicone based spray in my barrel. I see it gumming up like it does on a windshield/windshield wipers over time. Thats the reason I started using Aquapel on my windshield instead of rain-x (look it up) though that stuff isn't something you could spray in a barrel.

I'd imagine that it only works on aluminum barrels as well. I definitely wouldn't try it in a CF barrel. Maybe one day I'll try it out in my old dye UL barrel just for ****s and giggles.

Looking for some Gats?
Japy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:07 PM #15
smokeage
Team Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japy View Post
Its not in the rulebook. Plus how would anyone know about you using it in your barrel?

I've heard some people say they use rain-x. Personally I really hate the idea of putting a silicone based spray in my barrel. I see it gumming up like it does on a windshield/windshield wipers over time. Thats the reason I started using Aquapel on my windshield instead of rain-x (look it up) though that stuff isn't something you could spray in a barrel.

I'd imagine that it only works on aluminum barrels as well. I definitely wouldn't try it in a CF barrel. Maybe one day I'll try it out in my old dye UL barrel just for ****s and giggles.
Well, I clean my barrel out with warm water after every day or play so any gunk gets washed out that way. Personally, I think most of it ends up shooting out before you get home anyways.

I suggest checking it out even if you dont plan on doing it for the long run. I think most people will be presently surprised with the results.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:32 AM #16
bhsp8ntballer07
Big Jeff

bhsp8ntballer07 is an NCPA player
bhsp8ntballer07 supports Pev's Paintball
bhsp8ntballer07 plays in the APPA D4 division
bhsp8ntballer07 has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
bhsp8ntballer07 is Legendary
exalt swabs /thread

they are bushy thick, and durable. ive washed mine about 4 times now in the washer cold/cold and dried with low heat settings without any problems

:Carolina Panthers 2k13 NFC South division champs

Boston Redsox : 2k13 world series champs

R.I.P ThirdEye Paintball 11/3/2013
bhsp8ntballer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:03 PM #17
Justin Mason
www.ProPaintball.com

has been a member for 10 years
Justin Mason is an NCPA National Champion
We were just discussing this the other day at the house.

The Redz Pepper Sticks are not the same as they were a few years ago. They used to be so think it took you a few times of running them through your barrel (read: Jamming) before it was ready to roll, and then it worked like a champ until one of your teammates ran off with it. These were paintball gold when they were available. Now..not so much. They are a different material and don't seem to soak up/push through as much paint

Now the best ones on the market are the exalt swabs and the dye fuzzy sticks. They are as close as we can get to the legendary redz pepper sticks these days.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:17 PM #18
PBFeZ

PBFeZ is a Paintball photographer
PBFeZ plays in the PSP
Check out bombswabs...

bombswabs.com

$6 gets you a black swab that is bigger than any other swab I've seen, 18" long, shipped to your door.

Best of all? I've had mine for a year now and i just stick it in the washer and let air dry... no unraveling and the connector still works.
edit: seems like they charge shipping now....
PBFeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:03 PM #19
BURN177
DIRTY SOUTH BALLER

BURN177 supports Team VICIOUS
BURN177 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
BURN177 supports DLX Technology
BURN177 supports Empire
i either use the foldable viewloader squegee or a hone made microfiber swab. they are easy and cheap to make. bout 40 cents a piece