Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-17-2011, 09:03 AM #1
heavy68

heavy68 is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
heavy68 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Good morning!

I recently sold my quest to a lucky fellow(I love pump sorry ), but he is having some issues that I a stumped by and was hoping I could get some input. He is reporting that when he is shooting he is chopping paint which then blows up into the feedneck and ruins his game. He said that the eye is on and functioning and that the detents are good. He did say the lpr is at 110 and it is using a goldmember (took out the RSF, long story). Would the high lpr cause the paint to chop or am I just chasing the easy fix? According to what he is saying, he will shoot a bunch of paint (50 ish balls) then it will chop.
I take pride in selling working guns as described and it worked perfectly last time I used it so I am a bit put out by this.
Thank you in advance for your help!

The rsf bolt removal had nothing to do with its performance(long story involving a goldmember) . I believe he was playing at a field so i hope his velocity was checked and in the normal range.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...1#post80642271

Last edited by Uziel Gal : 08-18-2011 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Double post.
heavy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2011, 06:06 PM #2
tlmiller

tlmiller is for the Gunfight
If it shot correctly with the RSF, and it's chopping when the GM is put in, then I think that kinda gives away the answer right there. There's something wrong with the bolt that's causing it to chop.

My guess would be A: Bolts damaged on the face and so blowing the paint apart when it hits, or B: an oring causing the bolt to not quite go ALL the way back and thus not allow the balls to get into the breach properly, so when it fires it chops it.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:10 PM #3
heavy68

The rsf bolt was out when i played with it last and i had no issue, but i do have to wonder if an oring could be the issue. Amy thoughts which one could be the issue? Thanks for the help!!!

Old 08-17-2011, 08:17 PM #4
eatafetus
knows you love it.

Annual Supporting Member
eatafetus supports our troops
eatafetus plays in the APPA D5 division
eatafetus is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
eatafetus is Legendary
eatafetus supports Empire
Check the eye delay on the board. Might be that it's set too low and registering the bolts back cycle as a ball, leading to chops. Try to do a restore to factory settings, see if that helps.

And...that is high on the lpr. What is the reason that he has it up that high?

Last edited by Uziel Gal : 08-18-2011 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Double post.
eatafetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:28 AM #5
Uziel Gal
It's not a Geo2, honest..

Uziel Gal donated to help Peyton Trent
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Uziel Gal supports our troops
Increasing eye delay would be my first thought also.

Definitely worth checking the breech with the loader off to see if the bolt is fully clearing - no point in trying to find a solution to that particular problem if it isn't there in the first place.

Could be a loader issue - too slow perhaps, or the stack tension could be too high (causing the next ball in the stack to partially double feed).
Uziel Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:26 AM #6
heavy68

The eye & loader are definate possibilities as last time I used it I was running a rotor but the new owner is using a vlocity. Thank you all for the assistance! I will let you know how we make out!
Thanks!

Old 08-18-2011, 06:33 PM #7
Whitey818
Critical For LIFE

sounds like he is having a blowback issue inside the breach there is a #17 oring if that is missing there will be blow back. Also lpr way too high for a goldmember should only be at 80 or so. Have him make sure that #17 is there and lower the lpr a bit and should fix any issue
Whitey818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:55 PM #8
heavy68

Thank you Whitey!!!

Old 08-26-2011, 01:57 PM #9
eatafetus
knows you love it.

Annual Supporting Member
eatafetus supports our troops
eatafetus plays in the APPA D5 division
eatafetus is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
eatafetus is Legendary
eatafetus supports Empire
So did ya fix it?
eatafetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:06 PM #10
CyberKhan

Hi, just saw this thread.
I am the person in question with the quest that I am having problems with.
Couple of things... I bought the gun not knowing that much about quests. It came with the gold member bolt and that is the only bolt that I have. So I didn't change it, I didnt have a choice. The bolt looks brand new as do the o-rings.
The LPR is running at 110 because that's what it was set at when I got it, so I didn't change it. I have since lowered it to 80 and it works fine.

Onto the paint chopping issue...
The gun would chop any paint I put in it after no more than 50 rounds. The vlocity was definitely an issue as that rotor itself broke a ball in the hopper and leaked down into the gun. So I switched out to a dye rotor, still broke. Turned down the tension on the rotor (just on case), still broke.
Meanwhile, I had ordered a 4b bolt kit when I first got the gun because of the efficiency increase and the help with not chopping.

The bolt came in yesterday and I installed it. Shot over 500 rounds through the gun last night and not one break. Still using the dye rotor. I will play with it this weekend and see how it shoots on the field since at my house it doesn't usually break until I am running around on the field. But....the 4B bolt is really freaking quiet and now the quest chronos really consistent.
Also bear in mind that I was using valken redemption paint which has quite a brittle shell. I like it because it never bounces, but it does break on hoppers that are too aggressive.
So, I will let you knonw how it turns out about the paint breaking, but I do have a new problem with the quest now in that I cannot adjust the velocity above 280, but I will post that in a new thread. Thanks

Btw thanks heavy for trying to help me put. Really nice to see that a seller is interested in helping a buyer when he is having problems with the gun he just bought from him. Hehe

Last edited by CyberKhan : 08-27-2011 at 09:17 PM.
CyberKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:18 AM #11
DBShellshocked

yeah.... the problem you're describing sounds like it's due to excessively brittle paint. When you shoot a stream then stop, you load up the ball stack and the bottom 3 or 4 balls take a good amount of pinch/bounce from stopping. One of the middle balls cracks under the pressure and then smushes down and causes the eyes to still read a shot even though the next ball isn't all the way loaded b/c of the cracked one. Once you break one that way you'll start clipping balls, then the shell will get all stuck in the bolt/breech and then it's blender city from that point. Try running a rotor with 2 fresh batt's and one dead one and see if that helps.

The 280 thing sounds like a dwell issue.

Raise your dwell to 12 ms, lpr at 80, and chrono with your hpr from there.

If that's not working, what kind of lube are you using on your bolt?
DBShellshocked is offline   Reply With Quote