PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-20-2011, 05:05 PM #1
TheEnglishGuy

Mini Upgrade - Drop Forward from YDNA

Hi All,

So, I received a raw drop forward from YDNA (http://www.nummech.com/) earlier this week, along with instructions on how to install it. As the one I received was raw, the first thing I did was spray paint it with Krylon Camo Matte Black paint, so that it would closely match my dust black Mini.

The instruction sheet was very clear and concise, with detailed pictures of how the drop forward should be installed. It also came with lots of extra o-rings in case they were required. Installation went pretty smoothly and I didn't need to perform any adjustments to the default settings. The mounting feels very solid, no wiggle or flexing with my 68/4500 tank installed. Pleasantly surprised at how much shorter it feels now, I was using a 50/4500 on it previously and this feels about the same overall. Air'd up first time with no leaks and put a couple of hoppers through in the backyard without any issues at all.

I highly recommend this upgrade for those of you who would like to use a larger size tank but still keep the marker length short.

Video instructions can be found here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8SNA...eature=feedlik

English

More Pics:
http://imageshack.us/g/109/cimg89551024x768.jpg/
TheEnglishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2011, 01:49 PM #2
incognito-z
Buying All Invert Mini's

incognito-z is playing at Living Legends VII
incognito-z owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
incognito-z is for the Gunfight
incognito-z posts videos on PbNation
incognito-z supports Pev's Paintball
incognito-z is Legendary
incognito-z supports DLX Technology
Looks great man! I received mine a few days ago and my review and pictures will be up soon too. I use a 50/45 tank so it'll be interesting to see how the drop forward fits with that and how it feels.

Have you tried it out at the field yet? I can't wait to try mine.

If you're having trouble with your Mini/Axe, PM me! I'm more than happy to help out.
Proud Beta-Tester and Authorized Retailer for Nummech - Proudly Sponsored by Guerilla Air - Hustle PB
incognito-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:21 PM #3
TheEnglishGuy

Not yet, just in the back yard. Hope I can get to the field in the next few weeks (weather has been terrible recently)

English
Old 08-22-2011, 03:00 PM #4
magilla66
Magilla Gorilla

magilla66 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
magilla66 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
magilla66 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
magilla66 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
High Praise for the Nummech Drop Forward for the Invert Mini

Got my parts from Andy on Friday of last week (drop forward & snatchgrip). Install of both parts took about 30 minutes. The instruction sheet included with the drop forward was very thorough and explained every step of the install in great detail. The kit also had spare o-rings of various sizes to solve any leaks that might occur with the new part, as well as 4 short set screws and 2 ball bearings (more on this later).

Here's how easy it was to install:
1. Basic breakdown of marker - remove grip cover, foregrip, grip, air tube connected to the ASA
2. Remove ASA, set aside OEM set screws for use later; remove dovetail
3. Install drop forward onto the grip (you might have to wiggle/press hard to get the drop forward's rails to insert completely into the grip)
4. Drop the 2 ball bearings into the dovetail mounting holes on the grip, and secure using 2 of the short set screws
5. Re-install air tube, making sure the small o-ring is seated around its tip before securing to the drop forward
6. Back out the internal set screws on the dovetail so they are visible about halfway into the set screw holes
7. Use one of the o-rings supplied in the kit, and carefully line up the dovetail and ASA and secure using original set screws

NOTE: if the set screws securing the ASA to the drop forward do not seem to go in all the way (e.g., they bind after a few turns), back the set screws out every 2 or 3 turns as you tighten them to cut the threads/anno. The set screws should be able to turn all the way flush to the drop forward.

Fit and finish - very nicely designed, does not look or feel cheap, nor does it take away from the Mini's style as an aftermarket part as some hardware add-ons do. Finding 2 ball bearings in the kit was a little odd to me at first. Although that was a bit strange to me , they are an intelligent means of applying securing pressure without digging grooves into the drop forward from just screws alone. NICE TOUCH!

Usage - Played about 5 hours yesterday, running recball/scenario/urban style fields. Did not get a chance to play speedball (teams were practicing that day), so I can't say how much of a difference it would have made there. The drop forward made finding tighter positions behind bunkers much easier. I didn't feel as disconnected from my marker in snap shot situations either like I normally do, as I was able to pop up/around corners and such while presenting smaller target areas to my opponents.

Overall - a lot of positive compliments from some of the regulars where I play, plus it added a cool factor to rental kids who now are drooling/dreaming of owning a Mini (quite possibly the drop forward was the clincher). Extremely comfortable shooting positions from any angle. Feels like you are more "one" with your marker than with the stock setup. Quality and design of the drop forward is top-notch. I will be buying more for my other Minis.

Rating = out of 5
magilla66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:51 PM #5
TheBoss33

TheBoss33 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
TheBoss33 is All In
TheBoss33 is All In
Nice pic. Andy has been doing some great work lately.
TheBoss33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:18 PM #6
djtail

djtail owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
djtail is for the Gunfight
anyone else having problem with leaks between the asa and the drop?

it's tight fit when i hold them together but as soon i screw them in a gap apears...
djtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:08 PM #7
TheEnglishGuy

Did you loosen up the screws in the top of the ASA? If you follow through Andy's video on YouTube, he gives some tips there.

English
Old 08-23-2011, 02:13 PM #8
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is a Supporting Member
Ydna is BST Trusted
That often means the two top set screws in the dovetail mount need to be unscrewed even further. The drop forward's side screws can push the dovetail mount downward if they're not hitting on the correct point of the dovetail screws.

Also, how tight is the fit between your dovetail mount and the drop forward? If it's excessively tight you may want to try filing down one side oft he dovetail mount by a very small amount. A few of the drop forwards were excessively tight after anodizing, although I fixed it with the rest of them there are a few that went out. That's why I had to add an annotation to the installation video about using a file.

As told by Stobaeus
...someone who had begun to learn geometry with Euclid, when he had learnt the first theorem, asked Euclid "What shall I get by learning these things?" Euclid called his slave and said "Give him threepence since he must make gain out of what he learns".
Ydna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:26 PM #9
djtail

yeah i have tried screwing them both in and out....

it may soe that i haven't find that sweet spot, but i have tried for a couple of hours now.....
Old 08-23-2011, 02:28 PM #10
djtail

even if i tight it down real hard the asa it wiggiling in sideways
Old 08-23-2011, 03:04 PM #11
neo2000x

neo2000x supports our troops
Looks pretty sweet. Did you spray it with primer first? I'm curious to how the spray paint will hold up.
neo2000x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:11 PM #12
TheEnglishGuy

The Krylon Camo I used doesn't need a primer, though I don't expect it to hold up to rough punishment for long. The good thing is I can just re-spray it anytime quickly and easily.

English
Old 08-23-2011, 03:18 PM #13
djtail

if i just mount the dovetail it has a good fit and won't wobble, but as soon as i put the asa back on the dovetail i got the gap again...

please help
Old 08-23-2011, 04:28 PM #14
TheEnglishGuy

Try sending a message to YDNA directly, he's likely to respond more quickly to that than to keep checking on this thread.

English
Old 08-24-2011, 03:35 PM #15
magilla66
Magilla Gorilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtail View Post
if i just mount the dovetail it has a good fit and won't wobble, but as soon as i put the asa back on the dovetail i got the gap again...

please help
Odd that if you mount only the dovetail to the drop forward, you can get it nice and tight/flush to the drop forward, but get gapping between the drop forward once you put the ASA on the dovetail.

When you line up the holes of the dovetail (with ASA attached) to the screw holes of the drop forward, are you able to verify that the set screws are actually going into the holes in the dovetail bosses? Sounds to me like the tips of the set screws are skipping on the boss holes and never making contact with the boss set screws. In effect, the set screws are hitting the bosses only, resulting in gaps and wobbles.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:16 PM #16
djtail

Quote:
Originally Posted by magilla66 View Post
Odd that if you mount only the dovetail to the drop forward, you can get it nice and tight/flush to the drop forward, but get gapping between the drop forward once you put the ASA on the dovetail.

When you line up the holes of the dovetail (with ASA attached) to the screw holes of the drop forward, are you able to verify that the set screws are actually going into the holes in the dovetail bosses? Sounds to me like the tips of the set screws are skipping on the boss holes and never making contact with the boss set screws. In effect, the set screws are hitting the bosses only, resulting in gaps and wobbles.
problem has been solved, the two bearing balls that where meant for the grip frame was to big, so i could't use them. soe i used the original set screws there.

just for fun 2day i put thoose bearing balls in the holes for the asa on the drop. that maked it to work

so now im pleased and hopefully if more people got the same problem the can use the same trick that i did.

cheers to a great product!
Old 08-24-2011, 10:15 PM #17
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is a Supporting Member
Ydna is BST Trusted
Yeah we were talking about this over e-mail. Very odd problem but he got it sorted out!

As told by Stobaeus
...someone who had begun to learn geometry with Euclid, when he had learnt the first theorem, asked Euclid "What shall I get by learning these things?" Euclid called his slave and said "Give him threepence since he must make gain out of what he learns".
Ydna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:14 PM #18
incognito-z
Buying All Invert Mini's

incognito-z is playing at Living Legends VII
incognito-z owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
incognito-z is for the Gunfight
incognito-z posts videos on PbNation
incognito-z supports Pev's Paintball
incognito-z is Legendary
incognito-z supports DLX Technology
Hey everyone. I'd like to start out I'd like to start out by saying how lucky I am to be able to test out these parts for Andy and Nummech. It feels great to be able to help out a brand new company.

The drop forward is not a new product. It's been around forever. Early drops were just pieces of metal that extended your reg lower. Nothing complicated was needed. The ASA still connected to a hose, which still went up your foregrip into your chamber. Nothing complicated.

The problem was, when Invert (and later, Empire) completely re-invented the air delivery system on the Mini (and later, Axe), normal drop forwards could not be used. The Mini and Axe's air supply went up through the foregrip, which means traditional drops could not be used. Most Mini and Axe owners gave up, assuming a drop forward could never be made that would work on a Mini/Axe. Well, for all of you didn't give up, here it is. Finally.

Nummech has completely redesigned the drop forward. Instead of the air going through a hose, now the air goes through the drop. Installation was a bit tricky (took me about 10 minutes) but do-able. The kit even came with extra o-rings just in case. It even came with extra female air transfer tube o-rings! The instructions were concise and came with lots of diagrams to boot.

After bringing my drop to the field, it does exactly what it says it does. It's a drop for a Mini. It works great. It looks cool. My tank didn't fall on my foot when I was playing. What else can you ask for?

All in all, Nummech and Andy did a great job. It's an old school idea with a brand new twist, and they did great.

If you're having trouble with your Mini/Axe, PM me! I'm more than happy to help out.
Proud Beta-Tester and Authorized Retailer for Nummech - Proudly Sponsored by Guerilla Air - Hustle PB
incognito-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:39 PM #19
djtail

Here is my setup for now:

Dust Black Mini
4500Psi Stako Tank With Ninja Ul Regulator
Dye Rotor
Cp Rake Trigger
Ape Board
Blue Virtue Laser Eyes
Nummech Snatch Grip
Nummech DropForward
Deatstixx CarbonFiber 14" & Lurkerbarrel 14"
Boss V2 Bolt with yellow Spring
Custom made grips
Empire Relay on/off asa

Running At:
125psi
4ms Dwell
285-283fps

Old 08-31-2011, 12:36 PM #20
magilla66
Magilla Gorilla

The ball bearings were a tight fit on my Minis as well (I installed it on two different Minis), and the trick to using them is to put them in the holes without installing the drop forward - Push really really hard (helps if you do this over a box or something to catch the balls so they don't get lost) until they make it through the screw holes.

Otherwise, you can do exactly as you did, by putting them on the lower part of the drop forward.

Gotta say I love these parts that Andy fabbed!
Old 09-09-2011, 03:45 AM #21
BariumEnema

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtail View Post
Cp Rake Trigger
You Like?
BariumEnema is offline   Reply With Quote