Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-03-2011, 08:42 PM #1
teejizzle

Its not that bad...

Alright so I used my Etek 3 with a .50 cal conversion kit, and a Empire Prophecy (with a .50 insert in the feedneck) for the first time today, and I honestly like it.

First, the bad. Let me go ahead and say I do NOT think that .50 is BETTER than .68 but it is an interesting alternative. I did notice it seems to have an effective range of about 15 feet shorter, which isn't really THAT much honestly. The only real COMPLAINT I have is that the splat is significantly smaller. I hit someone in the center of the lens on his mask, and it was about the size of a nickel. I didn't have any problems with people not calling themselves out today, but I can see it happening in the future...

The good: CHEAP!!!! A case of 4000 Formula 13 (mid grade) paint costs 65$ I believe. My Prophecy holds 580 paintballs. I didn't use a pod pack all day..It was sooo much more comfortable on a warm day like today.

The Formula 13 paint was pretty good. Some of it was a little dimpled, but it still shot straight and broke fairly easily. I hope my field starts selling a tournament grade .50 paint (if they even make it yet).

Overall It shot about the same as .68cal with less fill. I'm definitely going to keep using it on recreation days and during practices, but when it comes to tournaments I'm switching back to .68.

Tthe conversion kit took maybe like 5 minutes to install...REALLY simple...

Oh and the Prophecy doesn't really like to feed .50 cal. It jammed up about once every game, but after I spun it manually a few times it worked. Hopefully Empire comes out with a new raceway for the Prophecy so it can feed .50cal consistently.

Give it a shot, I really like it.
teejizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2011, 12:31 PM #2
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
JohnSherman posts videos on PbNation
People don't want to try it. They want to ***** and moan about a product that most of them have never used. They try to justify their hate with excuses like "it shouldn't have been marketed as a replacement for .68 cal" and "the physics (range and splatter) don't match up with what the company said." While these statements are both true, they aren't reasons to throw .50 cal out in the cold. Plenty of products are marketed with misleading advertisements, e.g. Shamwow, but they are still useful. I would have bought a .50 cal Spyder if the closest field wasn't FPO.

Look, GI Milsim has been pushing .50 cal for a little while now, and the world hasn't ended. Stop with the unnecessary bashing of a decent idea. Many of the biggest .50 haters are the same people who say that playing paintball should be cheaper. Well, these companies gave you a cheaper way to play, and you spat in their faces.

Last edited by JohnSherman : 04-05-2011 at 12:55 PM.
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:06 PM #3
Neil42

Well said John, I agree...if you ignore the marketing "promises" and just look at it with both eyes open, its a good alternative, its cheaper but yes, it has shortcommings.
Personally I enjoy shooting it, makes the game different slightly, like its more likely to make you play more aggressiveas you cant sit at the back railing paint.....and get eliminations, you have to get up in the mix and when youre there, it plays very much like "regular" paintball...except you dont reload so often and dont need to carry a big pack.
Neil42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:09 PM #4
teejizzle

Yup, yup. I used it again today during our team's 3man practice and I'm actually starting to like it. Shot great for me today. I played home alot today and had no problems laning people out going to back corners or anything. I would still like to get a Spyder Rapid or whatever the Kingman hopper is that feeds it, but the prophecy works well enough.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:31 PM #5
UR A DEAD MAN APPLES
That one guy

Well, technically, the paint is smaller and weighs less, it should be able to be fired much higher than 300fps while still being safe.
UR A DEAD MAN APPLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:48 PM #6
YeloSno
ALT Bazaar - Coming Soon!

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno supports Team VICIOUS
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
meh. I'd take on .50 cal. but it'll just make for more stuff in my bag and more stuff that'll be unused.

Thinking of Buying Something, But Don't Know What?
Have A Look Inside for Some Help.

Sale so good you'll get a ****in' coma trying to find your wallet.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by R3L: Nostalgia's a hell of a drug."
"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: i'm not wearing any underwear! :D"
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:21 AM #7
UR A DEAD MAN APPLES
That one guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeloSno View Post
meh. I'd take on .50 cal. but it'll just make for more stuff in my bag and more stuff that'll be unused.
Why don't you just decide what stuff you're going to use that day and only take it?
You don't have to take every piece of paintball equipment you have if you only plan on playing with one gun.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:55 PM #8
david42

david42 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
david42 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
david42 supports Team VICIOUS
david42 plays in the APPA D4 division
Yes, its That bad...stay .68 cal if yall truly love paintball.

eniviousjohn: "So please, please, for the love of all things scantily clad and 40% alcohol by volume, just shoot the guns for yourselves. If you're having trouble choosing between which super expensive mega-awesome new paintball marker to choose from, are you really even having a problem to begin with?
david42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:15 PM #9
teejizzle

I'm not completely converting to .50, its just a way to keep the cost of playing down so I can play more often. I DO love paintball, and playing with a pump just wasn't doin' it for me...
Old 04-12-2011, 12:17 AM #10
UR A DEAD MAN APPLES
That one guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by david42 View Post
Yes, its That bad...stay .68 cal if yall truly love paintball.
You know, there were a lot of people saying that when PSP legalized ramping in tournaments.
Everybody was going around "ramping is cheating, it will lead to bonus balling, it will ruin the sport and make it hard for new players to get in."
Old 04-12-2011, 01:09 AM #11
xHOBOPHOBIAx
Paintball Arkansas

xHOBOPHOBIAx plays in the PSP
xHOBOPHOBIAx plays in the APPA D4 division
xHOBOPHOBIAx has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
xHOBOPHOBIAx has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by UR A DEAD MAN APPLES View Post
Well, technically, the paint is smaller and weighs less, it should be able to be fired much higher than 300fps while still being safe.
This is what I have been thinking. Less mass means you can increase the speed until you get the same force.
xHOBOPHOBIAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:00 AM #12
LoneWolf99
Knight Stalker

Except you can't - the insurance companies have already said no.

Proudly Sponsored By:
Outdoor Extreme - Chesapeake City
Chipley Custom Machine (CCM)
Feel Good Inc. Pump Team

R.I.P. Rob "Cooter" Coltrane - OPFOR & Knight Stalker - Best of the Best, 1952 - 2010
LoneWolf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:36 AM #13
Bloodymurder

Annual Supporting Member
Bloodymurder supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by xHOBOPHOBIAx View Post
This is what I have been thinking. Less mass means you can increase the speed until you get the same force.
It would have to go through testing to find that exact number, although I believe it's been mentioned to be around 450fps.

The biggest problem with it is that the insurance companies have yet to tailor a policy specifically to accept .50. And here's why I don't believe they ever will. Too high of a risk of people shooting .68 at 450fps by either mistake or on purpose. .68 at 450fps can and will break through masks and lenses.

The only way a field could get away with shooting .50 at 450fps is if that's all they carried/allowed at their field, which would be absolutely moronic.

Albion College Lacrosse
Bloodymurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:43 AM #14
teejizzle

Insurance companies wont let .50 be shot at anything higher than 300 fps. I let my friend shoot me from about 10 feet away (so I could see if it still stung when i bunkered people) and yea it still hurts at close range. Just as bad as .68

Over a distance (i dont know the exact numbers) .50 loses its energy a lot faster than .68, but up to a certain distance they still have the same energy. and the same energy with a smaller surface hitting you hurts like heck...
Old 04-12-2011, 11:28 AM #15
Bloodymurder

Annual Supporting Member
Bloodymurder supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejizzle View Post
Insurance companies wont let .50 be shot at anything higher than 300 fps. I let my friend shoot me from about 10 feet away (so I could see if it still stung when i bunkered people) and yea it still hurts at close range. Just as bad as .68

Over a distance (i dont know the exact numbers) .50 loses its energy a lot faster than .68, but up to a certain distance they still have the same energy. and the same energy with a smaller surface hitting you hurts like heck...
Force=mass x acceleration.

While it might feel similar, a .50 ball will, at muzzle velocity of 300fps, exerts roughly 73-75% of the force of .68, based solely on size difference assuming that they use the same shell/fill, meaning that the change in size would accurately account for the change in mass.

So yes, it's going to hurt. Would it be dangerous to turn up the velocity to match the force of .68? Not at all.

Albion College Lacrosse

Last edited by Bloodymurder : 04-12-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Bloodymurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:14 PM #16
UR A DEAD MAN APPLES
That one guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf99 View Post
Except you can't - the insurance companies have already said no.
No they haven't.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:19 PM #17
LoneWolf99
Knight Stalker

Except they have - not only is that public knowledge but it has been discussed here "ad infinitum."

Proudly Sponsored By:
Outdoor Extreme - Chesapeake City
Chipley Custom Machine (CCM)
Feel Good Inc. Pump Team

R.I.P. Rob "Cooter" Coltrane - OPFOR & Knight Stalker - Best of the Best, 1952 - 2010
LoneWolf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:42 PM #18
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
ASTM says 300 max and it says on the box 300 max, so insurance companies say 300 max, so fields have to follow 300 max or get in big trouble if something bad happens. Do a search for ASTM in this forum, it's been covered many times.

And ASTM even says that the smaller balls have to have the same density (mass per volume) as the larger ones, so no magic fill either.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:54 PM #19
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
JohnSherman posts videos on PbNation
Why doesn't anyone think to use .50 for practice? I understand that it might not be the same as using .68, but it could be a much cheaper over a long period of time. If you are practicing against teammates, people should be calling themselves out, so the decreased splatter shouldn't be a problem. This would work even better if your marker has a conversion kit option.

Think about it, nobody learns the principles of sharpshooting on a Barrett M82. I personally learned how to shoot with a .22, and moved up from there. I could either pay 4 cents per cartridge for the .22, or $1.20 per cartridge for the 50.
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:19 PM #20
#1WoodsBaller

#1WoodsBaller is playing at Living Legends V
#1WoodsBaller owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
I shot some for the first time last weekend. Friend had his SLS set up for it. Rotor kept jamming but the paint shot okay when it worked. he said he was gonna use it at practice and on some rec days. It's all good...if you like it roll with it if not then don't....

WTB or Trade for Grey Racing Strap PM Me!!
#1WoodsBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:28 PM #21
teejizzle

Yea i mean its a REALLY good practice paint. You save a LOT of money in the long run. No 68 cal hopper is going to feed .50 perfectly, but i guess you can get by. I might eventually get that spyder-pinokio thing.