Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-17-2011, 12:01 AM #1
I need a name

Issues with Bernese crate training

I recently got a new Bernese Mountain dog in addition to the golden that I already had. He's just under ten weeks old and has no issues during the daytime at all. When it comes to night time and I have to put him in his crate protect him from injuring himself, He whines and cries for hours and literally does not fall asleep throughout the night.

I take him out to the bathroom and make sure he has had some water before bedtime, so these aren't the issues. I currently have him living in a kitchen that is gated off and give him free run of the room throughout the day. He loves to sleep on the tile floor or even in his crate during the day, however, as soon as the door to his crate closes, all hell breaks loose. Doesn't matter if it's during the day or at night, but night time is my biggest issue with him as nobody is able to sleep. I'm actually running on over 42 hours with no sleep right now because I've been up trying to keep him calm during the night, which hasn't been working.

Here's what I've tried so far with no success.
-staying up next to him with a hand in the crate to comfort him.
-ticking clock
-towel over the crate
-changing the house temperature
-making the crate more comfortable
-giving him water/food.
-letting him pee/poop before.
-taking him on a quick run to burn off energy.
-adjusting the lighting.

Also, he's not a timid dog or afraid of anything else in the room.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I hate to ask this, but is there any sort of medication that I would be able to give him to help him sleep?
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2011, 01:13 AM #2
Oc_rage (Banned)

Oc_rage is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
have you tried smacking him and telling him to shut the **** up? not like beat him, but you know, in a dominating way. works with every dog ive come in contact with, including random friends, family etc.
Oc_rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:44 PM #3
RSgalvatron

RSgalvatron is a Supporting Member
He's still a puppy, he's going to whine/cry since he's not used to being confined. My puppy cried the whole night and I didn't get an ounce of sleep. The important thing is not to give him attention when he whines/cries. If you tend to him, then he learns that when he whines, he can get out of the crate. You should still let him out every few hours for bathroom breaks, but that's it. He'll eventually stop once he learns that whining is futile and won't get him out of the crate. It'll take a while, but puppies are hard work.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:12 PM #4
comom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSgalvatron View Post
He's still a puppy, he's going to whine/cry since he's not used to being confined. My puppy cried the whole night and I didn't get an ounce of sleep. The important thing is not to give him attention when he whines/cries...
Excellent advice!

If I'm reading the OP right, the crate door is only getting closed at night. If I were having this problem, I'd crate the puppy for a little bit while I was home, just to get him used to it, gradually increasing the time. I wouldn't neccesarily let him out every time he was quiet, but I would go over, say, "Good puppy" and give him a treat. I'd do that once or twice then let him out.

Also, have you tried giving him a stuffed Kong when he's crated? By the time he's gets it cleaned out, he'll probably be ready to go to sleep. Especially if it's frozen.

Another couple of other thoughts- again, if I'm reading the OP right, the puppy is gated in the kitchen during the day. Is this when the house is empty (work/school, etc), too? If so, and he's OK then, you could try leaving him like that at night.

Honestly, tho, being able to be crated is a valuable lesson for dogs. Among other things, it lessens the stress if/when they have to stay over night at the vet.
comom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:18 PM #5
/-\dam
****in Yut

get the guy a doggy bed and let him get used to it outside the crate. after a few days of him regularly sleeping on it, put it in the crate along with a few of his favorite toys. i recommend a stuffed kong as well, those things are worth their weight in gold. keep his crate door open as well, hopefully he will get used to it and just go in there naturally.

do not under any circumstances force your dog in there. the last thing you want to do is make the crate seem like a punishment.

both of my dogs love their crate. at night when i go to bed, one sleeps in there all night by her own choice, the other with me. every morning before work, i take them out, and first thing they do is go to their crate.

just hang in there. like mentioned above, he is still a puppy and they really dont make since sometimes.

Tennessee Titans
/-\dam is offline   Reply With Quote