Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2011, 12:51 PM #1
MrSmartyParts5 (Banned)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Should I be excited?

I'm an upcoming freshman and will be moving in in about two weeks. It seems as if most of my friends who are leaving soon, or have already left, are very excited to leave. It seems like that with every student going to/going back to school. I just can't seem to be excited. There's times where I'm excited to finally be going off to college, going to have the time of my life, etc., but then there's other times where I think about the whole being away from my family.

Maybe for some this is easy, but I'm very close to my family. I'm no momma/daddy's boy. I actually rarely see them anymore, besides on the weekends, because I'm always working the night shift and they work full time, so I'm usually leaving to go to work before they get home and coming home after they've already gotten in bed. And I sure as hell don't wake up before 9am, so I never see them in the morning. Even with this, I can't seem to get excited to be away from my family.

Will all this change when I get to college? I'm sure it will, but will I start to get more excited as these two weeks roll on? I don't want to get to college and end up having a ****ty time. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely a "party boy, let's go out and have the time of our lives," but something's not clicking.

So, again, will it change?
MrSmartyParts5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2011, 01:10 PM #2
Captain A v2.0
2romo4u
 
Captain A v2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Captain A v2.0 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
How far away will you be from where you went to high school?
__________________
Kansas Jayhawks Seattle Seahawks Seattle Mariners Seattle Sounders Zombie Sonics
Captain A v2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:19 PM #3
MrSmartyParts5 (Banned)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
1 hour 45 minutes. That's close considering that all throughout high school I wanted to go to college far away because I hate my hometown.

Then reality set in and provided teh lulz.

EDIT:

I don't plan on visiting home that much. Maybe once in a while in between breaks. And that's another thing that's weird. When I think about going away, I tell myself, and others, "I don't plan on visiting home much more than on breaks. I don't want the fun to end" sort of thing. But then I think about leaving and it's like I'd rather be home just a couple more weeks. You know?

Last edited by MrSmartyParts5 : 08-15-2011 at 01:21 PM.
MrSmartyParts5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:22 PM #4
NotTyler
 
 
NotTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tennessee
__________________
PM me for Custom cut decals, stickers, banners, signs, etc

RIP Basic!!!
NotTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:25 PM #5
Ben is banned! (Banned)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: marseille
you're 2 hours away. you're not 'going away' lol
Ben is banned! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:22 PM #6
pacasowithagun
SMASH! Now clean it up!!
 
pacasowithagun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 410/Kiladelphia
pacasowithagun owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
pacasowithagun is an NCPA National Champion
Cole, you'll get there and you'll love it. 1 hour 45 minutes is far enough that they wont be visiting on a whim, and close enough that it is easy to come home whenever you want for whatever reason. Dont fret it. And if you really miss them, just call. I mean ****, there have been times where I havent seen/talked to my parents for months at a time. Then again, we dont have a terribly close relationship.

Another thing, find out if most people go home for long weekends. I know at my school, campus is like a ghost town over those little 3 or 4 day weekends.
__________________
2009-2010 NCPA Class A National Champions
I offer 3D printing services! PM me!
Greg Hoge
pacasowithagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:23 PM #7
AuxiliaryPie
iLurk
 
AuxiliaryPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NE Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacasowithagun View Post
Cole, you'll get there and you'll love it. 1 hour 45 minutes is far enough that they wont be visiting on a whim, and close enough that it is easy to come home whenever you want for whatever reason. Dont fret it. And if you really miss them, just call. I mean ****, there have been times where I havent seen/talked to my parents for months at a time. Then again, we dont have a terribly close relationship.

Another thing, find out if most people go home for long weekends. [b]I know at my school, campus is like a ghost town over those little 3 or 4 day weekends.
im about the same distance away at school and im super close with my family and i have a girlfriend back home, but the things i bolded up above really make the difference. It's just one of those things that has to "click" in your head... i was never excited to graduate highschool until like a week after i did and it clicked, i was like "holy **** all those annoying *** people ive been stuck with since 1st grade are GONE!!!". itll come, dont worry
__________________
J.F.G.I.- Just ****ing Google It

Last edited by AuxiliaryPie : 08-17-2011 at 02:06 PM.
AuxiliaryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:35 PM #8
Jahoobies
 
 
Jahoobies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Jahoobies owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Jahoobies supports Team VICIOUS
This is how it was for me,
Before: First month or so i did not like it and came home just about every weekend.

Now (Junior year): My parents will be lucky to see me 3 times a year (spring break maybe, Christmas, Thanksgiving).

Short story made long, you might not like it at first, but really once you make good friends you'll be like all the other college kids that when summer comes around you count the days till you finally get to go back (27th for me!!!!!).

You will still be close to your family but chances are you will be having so much fun that you would rather stay up at school, just don't be shy and talk to people they are most likely in the same boat as you.

A great way to make new friends is to leave your door wide open the first day. People will come check you out and when your done unpacking you can go check them out. (I met one of my current roomates this way by going into his room the day of unpacking). I dont care what people say but a great way to meet people is videogames, play videogames with your door open, again people will come check you out (I met my other roomate this way).

Also check out the The Ultimate Freshman Guide: The First Couple Weeks http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3660318
Reiterates a lot of what I said and offers some great tips.
__________________
Western Michigan University

Planet Eclipse 07 Ego
Dangerous Power G3

Last edited by Jahoobies : 08-16-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Jahoobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:29 AM #9
MrSmartyParts5 (Banned)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben is banned! View Post
you're 2 hours away. you're not 'going away' lol
that's not the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxiliaryPie View Post
im about the same distance away at school and im super close with my family and i have a girlfriend back home, but the things i bolded up above really make the difference. It's just one of those things that has to "click" in your head... i was never excited to graduate highschool until like a week after i did and it clicked, i was like "holy **** all those annoying *** people ive been stuck with since 1st grade are GONE!!!". itll come, dont worry
yeah man, it's starting to hit me and i'm starting to get excited. i've got two weeks of summer left, so i think a lot of the reason i'm feeling like i'm not "ready" to go is because i have quite a bit of time left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahoobies View Post
This is how it was for me,
Before: First month or so i did not like it and came home just about every weekend.

Now (Junior year): My parents will be lucky to see me 3 times a year (spring break maybe, Christmas, Thanksgiving).

Short story made long, you might not like it at first, but really once you make good friends you'll be like all the other college kids that when summer comes around you count the days till you finally get to go back (27th for me!!!!!).

You will still be close to your family but chances are you will be having so much fun that you would rather stay up at school, just don't be shy and talk to people they are most likely in the same boat as you.

A great way to make new friends is to leave your door wide open the first day. People will come check you out and when your done unpacking you can go check them out. (I met one of my current roomates this way by going into his room the day of unpacking). I dont care what people say but a great way to meet people is videogames, play videogames with your door open, again people will come check you out (I met my other roomate this way).

Also check out the The Ultimate Freshman Guide: The First Couple Weeks http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3660318
Reiterates a lot of what I said and offers some great tips.
thanks, and i have read that page.
MrSmartyParts5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:14 PM #10
Ynnekdude 2
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
I would say a lot of people had these feelings whether or not they wanted to admit it. I went to school 6.5 hours away in a state I had never been before my visit to the school.

At the beginning of my college career, I never really believed everyone saying "It's the best ~4 years of your life." Now, however, looking back on it, it really was. Live it up.
Ynnekdude 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:47 PM #11
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child
 
ProtoBaller1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago
ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben is banned! View Post
you're 2 hours away. you're not 'going away' lol
that doesn't matter at all. My college is 45 minutes from my home but it's not like my parents ever came down randomly to see me. They only came down if I asked them too which was never. As long as you aren't living at home with your parents you'll have a blast at college.
__________________
OG-Seven Deadly Sins
I do tv show things
320gb External Hard Drive F/S


Instagram
ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:56 PM #12
corporationpaintball
too legit to quit
 
corporationpaintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Burlington, VT
Annual Supporting Member
corporationpaintball is a Moderator
corporationpaintball is BST Legit
corporationpaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
corporationpaintball supports our troops
corporationpaintball is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
corporationpaintball is Boss
Chances are it's just nerves, relax a bit and enjoy yourself- it goes by so fast.
__________________

Old Feedback (+20/-0) | New Feedback (+37/-0)
Annual Supporting Member Council Elite
corporationpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:29 AM #13
i8somepie
Michael Pasztor
 
i8somepie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: AK, Ohio
Annual Supporting Member
i8somepie is an NCPA player
i8somepie plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by corporationpaintball
Chances are it's just nerves, relax a bit and enjoy yourself- it goes by so fast.
.

Time flies when you are in school. Don't forget why you are there, but live it up like everyone says.
__________________
University of Akron Paintball

Underground Sports - Underground Army
The Best DYE dealer in NE Ohio

YetiPB.com - The only place you'll ever need, ever
i8somepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:42 AM #14
Ammolord
IT'S WAYNE BRADY *****!
 
Ammolord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Williston, North Dakota
Ammolord is playing at Living Legends V
Im in the same boat man, I just moved into my dorm yesterday (im also about 2 hours away). I was nervous at first, but once you get out and find people to hang out with it makes it sooo much easier. Just find things to take your mind off it, and dont just sit in your dorm and think about it.
__________________
~'81 Toyota RA43L~
(Custom 4.3L Chevy swap)

~'13 Harley Davidson Sportster 48 ~
(Basic Bolt-ons)
~'13 Toyota Tundra TRD Rock Warrior~
(Stock DD)
~Custom '99 Sniper Pump~

(CCM Pump Kit, EDGE Barrel Kit, QR bolt, CP reg, CP ASA)
Ammolord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:16 PM #15
Undisputed
Brett Favre > *
 
Undisputed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Missouri
I was sort of the same way as you. All of my best friends (and girlfriend) are either younger than me or going to a different school. I feel like next year I will be more excited about leaving again with the girlfriend and some of my better friends going to the same school.
__________________
XboX LivE - HK HEADSHOT
Green Bay Packers
RON PAUL - START THE REVOLUTION!
Undisputed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:11 AM #16
SniperForce-Duffek
Delta Farce
 
SniperForce-Duffek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
SniperForce-Duffek plays in the APPA D5 division
If you don't have to catch a flight to visit then you aren't moving away, you're just moving.
__________________
Kick *** military apparel _ Mars Strategic

"May god have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."
G.S.P
SniperForce-Duffek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:45 PM #17
MrSmartyParts5 (Banned)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Went to a kegger last night at the school my best friend is going to (~25 minutes away from Niagara University). It's a long story and was a very long night, most of which I don't remember, but I think I can now say I'm ****ing ready for college

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperForce-Duffek View Post
If you don't have to catch a flight to visit then you aren't moving away, you're just moving.
What the **** are you talking about?
MrSmartyParts5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:12 AM #18
SpaceCoota69
Dayumm Girl
 
SpaceCoota69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: ATL
Like everyone has already said dont be nervous and once you get to college meet as many people as you can. I was in the same boat as you when i went off to college and now during the summers i cant wait til i go back to school. Live it up and be social.
SpaceCoota69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:09 AM #19
MrSmartyParts5 (Banned)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
I'm social, friendly and outgoing, that wasn't the problem. Anyways, update on the situation, I have made about 4 or 5 different groups of friends, all with guys and girls. I've gone out two nights already with some of them and we're planning on going out tonight and tomorrow night (it's orientation week). I chill with friends all day, meet new people, etc. I haven't even had enough time to think about my family like I thought I would.

College is ****ing dope.
MrSmartyParts5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:01 PM #20
that810kid
I Rep 810
 
that810kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The 810
college is a 30k party
that810kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:11 PM #21
MrSmartyParts5 (Banned)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
That^.

I've had the time of my life, even though I don't remember most of the nights I go out (which is usually 3-4 times a week). I haven't gotten less than a 100% on any assignments yet, the majority of my homework for the week is done by Wednesday night (which is why I can go out Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday) and I spend the time, when I'm not in class/doing homework, chilling with people. Fun time.
MrSmartyParts5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump