PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-02-2011, 02:05 PM #1
Matt.is.back2011
We are all Witness

The Cost of Higher Education and its connections to Gov't

today while listening to some conservative talk radio, I was informed (and later factchecked) that part of the debt deal that will hopefully reduce yearly deficits will in part be funded through graduate student loans. In short, the subsidy that allows for deferred interest payment on the principle of a loan will be taken away, thus forcing graduate students to begin paying off loans while still in school.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...raduates_n.htm

I have mixed and very strong feelings towards this issue, and would like this to be an open forum to discuss the topic. (since many of you, like me, are recent college graduates and/or young adults with first-hand experience in this area).

Predictably, the conservative radio host quickly turned the subject away from the issue of government subsidies for education (IMO a good thing the Gov't does well) and towards liberal bashing, citing two things that I'd like to pose to you all:

1. Government intervention in schooling is responsible for the large gap between inflaton and rising tuition costs; if gov't were to turn over student loans to the private sector, costs would decrease and more people would be allowed to enter college

2. Liberals (IE Gov't) want to be in control of the distribution of the best loans (Pell Grants and subsidized loans) because college is a breeding ground for the liberalization of America

So what do you think? What is your opinion on the rising cost of higher education? What do you think causes it? What role does government have in higher education, if any? Why are conservatives seemingly so anti-higher education?

I have my opinions on the matter, but I'd like to hear yours.

-Matthew
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2011, 02:26 PM #2
Swerve22

has been a member for 10 years
Problem is if you make it easier to pay for school, then schools can easily charge more - not just for tuition but for books, etc.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:33 PM #3
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Conservatives are against education quality in general because frankly it takes an uninformed, uncritical person to vote against their interests consistently. Emphasis on testing and rigid metrics encourages "teaching to the test" i.e. parroting information without critical thinking, which is exactly what conservatism requires to succeed.

Last edited by drgonzo : 08-02-2011 at 02:40 PM.
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:06 PM #4
toolbandfan
The dude abides

toolbandfan is a Supporting Member
toolbandfan is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22 View Post
Problem is if you make it easier to pay for school, then schools can easily charge more - not just for tuition but for books, etc.

Pretty much.

Same textbook on Ebay is like $80 less at least for me most of the time.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:15 PM #5
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
I look at government in the higher education institutions the same way I look at government in the arts. Shouldn't be there.

Why no government in the arts? Government sponsored arts can easily become censorship. Also, if the art was good, they wouldn't need government to pay for it.

Conservatives are not anti-education. They are pro-"teach you how to think" and anti-"teach you what to think". Which one do you think is more prevalent in the higher education institutions as of late?

Side note - where the hell did the Liberal Arts degree go, and what is this General Education crap degree that replaced it?
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts

Last edited by barrel roll : 08-02-2011 at 03:17 PM.
barrel roll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:18 PM #6
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
Government sponsored arts can easily become censorship.
This is just silly, at least the government might have watchdogs or regulations to call them out on censorship. Privately funded art can be (and is) censored with impunity.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:55 PM #7
ladd_17
bA What?!?

ladd_17 is a Supporting Member
ladd_17 plays in the PSP
ladd_17 plays in the APPA D3 division
ladd_17 is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgonzo View Post
This is just silly, at least the government might have watchdogs or regulations to call them out on censorship. Privately funded art can be (and is) censored with impunity.
Please explain what you mean, cause I'm not following you.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:16 PM #8
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladd_17 View Post
Please explain what you mean, cause I'm not following you.
Not sure what's so difficult about it, private funding means art can be directly censored and there would be no recourse. Federal free speech rights do not apply to private property or private funding.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:42 PM #9
Tafari Makonnen
His Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Conservatives are against education quality in general because frankly it takes an uninformed, uncritical person to vote against their interests consistently. Emphasis on testing and rigid metrics encourages "teaching to the test" i.e. parroting information without critical thinking, which is exactly what conservatism requires to succeed.
Oh goodness...

Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph.
Tafari Makonnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:19 PM #10
Pail Ail (Banned)
Bill Watterson

Seriously Gonzo?
Pail Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:16 PM #11
Swerve22

Quote:
Nothing to say another entity can't display what one "censors". Invalid argument.

www.gunfacts.info
Old 08-02-2011, 06:42 PM #12
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22 View Post
Nothing to say another entity can't display what one "censors". Invalid argument.
You just made a nonsense statement.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:16 PM #13
Pail Ail (Banned)
Bill Watterson

Why can't free speech guaranteed by the federal government be corrupted? You make claims with no substance.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:50 PM #14
Not2FFU

The federal government should not be in the business of loaning students money.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:40 PM #15
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pail Ail View Post
Why can't free speech guaranteed by the federal government be corrupted?
Is this directed at me?
Old 08-02-2011, 08:43 PM #16
Not2FFU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIcfM...mbedded#at=458
Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 PM #17
Pail Ail (Banned)
Bill Watterson

Quote:
Is this directed at me?
Only you would claim that liberal government is uncorrupted, so yes.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:43 AM #18
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pail Ail View Post
Only you would claim that liberal government is uncorrupted, so yes.
What in the world are you talking about? Following up a nonsequtur with nonsense.

You can tell when the ideology prevents rational thinking when one fails to exercise even simple logic in order to make an ideological attack.

One last time, for those who seem to be missing it. If the government funds and/or displays arts and censors, there is potential recourse given the constitutional right to free speech and various government oversight. If the arts are funded/displayed privately, censorship is the private entity's legal prerogative and there is no recourse.

If you care about censorship, only government involvement in the arts gives you any protection against it.

Last edited by drgonzo : 08-03-2011 at 01:47 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:48 AM #19
Pail Ail (Banned)
Bill Watterson

Okay. Well, that's just silly. Our government currently censors things, so that really goes out the window. You're mistaking the right to censor what you own/control with the recognized right to free speech. Those are completely different.

Also, what part of my ideology prevents me from seeing clearly? You're the one who claimed conservatism couldn't possibly be supported by rational, logical people...
Old 08-03-2011, 01:52 AM #20
Swerve22

Quote:
What in the world are you talking about? Following up a nonsequtur with nonsense.

You can tell when the ideology prevents rational thinking when one fails to exercise even simple logic in order to make an ideological attack.

One last time, for those who seem to be missing it. If the government funds and/or displays arts and censors, there is potential recourse given the constitutional right to free speech and various government oversight. If the arts are funded/displayed privately, censorship is the private entity's legal prerogative and there is no recourse.

If you care about censorship, only government involvement in the arts gives you any protection against it.
So the government oversees itself? Am I the only one that doesn't exactly get the warm fuzzies from that?

www.gunfacts.info
Old 08-03-2011, 01:53 AM #21
Pail Ail (Banned)
Bill Watterson

You aren't alone, my friend. He might be the first person I ever put on ignore.