Old 08-10-2011, 10:27 PM #1
Wastedslayer
Enjoying the Luxe-ry

Wastedslayer supports Bob Gurnsey
Wastedslayer plays in the APPA D4 division
Wastedslayer is attending Decay of Nations VII
Wastedslayer supports DLX Technology
Anyone play with a torn ACL?

Basically tore my ACL a few weeks ago and looking to play again, Im not having the full reconstruction done since I would be off work to long. So just asking any other players out there missing this fine ligament that play tourny ball?
Clear/Splash Luxe 1.0
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2011, 01:43 AM #2
Rpfusa1
Raptor Jesus

Rpfusa1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
the ACL is an important components of your leg and specifically your knee (as I'm sure you know)
Your knees are one of those joints that take the most beating in paintball and any injury to it is bound to hinder your performance on the field and you run the risk of further damage.
I'd get the reconstruction surgery and regain full use of your legs.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:52 AM #3
sup'mango
Dallas

sup'mango supports Team VICIOUS
A kid on my baseball team tore his acl and pitched 2 games before his surgery. So it is possible if you can run but very risky, his knee gave out on him at one point causing him to fall and was in pain. Wear a brace for sure and try to play a part of the field with minimal running involved
Old 08-11-2011, 09:59 PM #4
Glitter

Glitter owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
I would recommend that you do NOT play on a torn ACL. If you damage it more you could end up never playing paintball again, and you'll be off of work even longer.
TxR Paintball :)
Old 08-12-2011, 12:18 AM #5
sup'mango
Dallas

sup'mango supports Team VICIOUS
If you think you can, do it
Old 08-12-2011, 02:25 AM #6
TheHef

Just do it, play back or somewhere easy paintball isn't a very physically demanding sport.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...6#post80475666
Old 08-12-2011, 10:21 AM #7
BiG MaN KemP
Custom User Title

BiG MaN KemP has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
don't. my dad tore his acl skiing and all he could manage to do was hobble for a week after, and now he can't run more than a mile...just get the surgery, you'll thank yourself later
Old 08-12-2011, 11:03 AM #8
erikguti

Annual Supporting Member
erikguti donated to help Peyton Trent
erikguti owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
erikguti supports Team VICIOUS
erikguti is for the Gunfight
erikguti owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
i used to play with a extended ligament for a year, but before that i hit the therapy hard for 3 month i play with it for almost six month then my knee start to lock.... i now have month since my acl reconstruction, the results of running with a ligament problem is a torn meniscus and a little cartillage damage, in my opinion not worth, if im you i will go to the doctor and get the acl reconstruct but before that hit hard the gym and work in your extension and flexion that will make easy your recuperation

i will tell you again not worth playing sport like that!!! you will have a big damage in your knee !!! i didnt make it from the begining because my first doctor told me i wouldnt need it.

Last edited by erikguti : 08-12-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:11 AM #9
erikguti

Annual Supporting Member
erikguti donated to help Peyton Trent
erikguti owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
erikguti supports Team VICIOUS
erikguti owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
also dont get scare for the acl reconstruction, marcello margot have one and he is playing pro and he is freaking fast....
Old 08-12-2011, 03:10 PM #10
Racso
It R go good w/ Pizza

Annual Supporting Member
Racso is playing at Living Legends V
Racso is playing at Living Legends VI
Racso is playing at Living Legends VII
Racso is Legendary
You could be like my boss and play on with it.

He ripped it when he was 17. He kept playing on without fixing it. Now at the age of 33, he can hardly play any sports at all, and has had at least 3 surgeries. It now hurts him to stand on it for extended periods.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:53 PM #11
xsvlp39
Brick

xsvlp39 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
xsvlp39 is an NCPA player
xsvlp39 plays in the APPA D5 division
Not totally sure with an ACL but I'm out there playing GPL and EPL and every Sunday with a broken Femur running slidding and diving. But I also had three operations and over a year of theropy just try and if it hurts try theropy
#30 Rutgers Paintball
Old 08-15-2011, 02:01 PM #12
Rayrock36

Rayrock36 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Rayrock36 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Rayrock36 is an NCPA player
Rayrock36 plays in the APPA D4 division
my suggestion is to take a few more weeks off i tore my acl a few years back and i never got reconstructive surgery because it was only a minor tear. if u take a solid 3 months off you should be at least at 80 percent when you come back it took me almost a year to fully recover tho
SUNY Oswego #36
LI Nightmare #36
"It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission"
Proudly Sponsored By: DssP8ntball | Plant Eclipse | Empire | Headrush Paintball | Understood
EGO 11 F/S
GEARBAG SALE
Old 08-16-2011, 02:38 AM #13
americigerm
Punchin Nerds in the Dome

americigerm owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
americigerm has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
americigerm has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
americigerm has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG MaN KemP View Post
don't. my dad tore his acl skiing and all he could manage to do was hobble for a week after, and now he can't run more than a mile...just get the surgery, you'll thank yourself later
What he said.

It's not one of those things to just over look. You could cause more permanent damage.
E-Vents SE Ink'd w/ Ninja Lens
Battle Sports USA
Old 08-16-2011, 11:23 AM #14
ajl6989

ajl6989 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Your seriously going to play with a torn ACL!? Have you even talked to a doctor yet?

PLaying on a torn ACL vs. not is going to be the difference between having to use a crutch the rest of your life or just sitting out for one tournament to heal up in a couple months for the next.

If you seriously think you can play efficiently and safely for your team, I would seriously reconsider that. And if i were part of your team I would tell you to sit out, and well get a backup for the tournament.

Honestly look at it from their point of view, you'll be stuck in one position, if your team gets out and your the last I doubt you can maneuver enough to get the other team out and not get flanked, So they'll pretty much be screwed if they need to rely on you in the end.

I know that was a rant, but I see this injury enough in the snowboarding world, and people dont think that its even a problem. Next thing you see is them walking a month later and suddenly they fall to the ground in pain, and have to be rushed to the ER to get surgery immediately.

So dont be one of those people seriuosly, Ice your knee, get on a stairmaster and do some 5-10 minute wall sits for the next month, and build your knee back up is the best you can do
Old 08-17-2011, 07:05 AM #15
lolhatepeople

Goggoogoo'
Old 08-17-2011, 08:26 PM #16
Wastedslayer
Enjoying the Luxe-ry

Wastedslayer supports Bob Gurnsey
Wastedslayer plays in the APPA D4 division
Wastedslayer is attending Decay of Nations VII
Wastedslayer supports DLX Technology
Listen I think I need to rephrase, I have seen a doctor and have had a scope on my knee to clean up the damage. Im walking fine with most pain gone and see a phys therapist 3 times a week.

By playing Im not talking about going out and doing some crazy tourney play right now, I will be re strengthening my knee over time and I mainly play back so big moves arent my thing.

As I also stated right now the reconstruction isnt a possibility because I would miss too much work, was mainly just asking if anyone else had done it, and played on it.
Clear/Splash Luxe 1.0
Old 08-19-2011, 01:49 AM #17
potatosteak

I would say dont play and take it easy. By "play" I mean, paintball of any form, shape, competition, practice, drills, scrims, etc.

Take the time to complete your recovery...and just when you think you're fully recovered be lazy for a month and a half more just to be on the safe side.

Unless of course someone gonna be comin' round sayin " Hey slayer...we'll pay you 20 mil to play some tourney ball right now ". Then you go play...until this happens, take the time to recover fully.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:22 PM #18
dontflamemeplox

dontflamemeplox owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSVeVPl30dc

just do what my buddy did at d day

swaffle-what do you not understand? it is the hitting of a man in the face with your p***s
Old 08-26-2011, 09:30 PM #19
nugget -1

nugget -1 plays in the PSP
nugget -1 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
nugget -1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i tour my miniscus i half and played on it for like four months before i got it fixed................but now i'm not playing for about 4 more weeks so i would take it easy so you don't ebd up like me
Old 09-05-2011, 09:04 AM #20
dtyrrell
Southern Ontario ballerz

7 years ago now i hit a semi truck head on on the highway and shattered my femur, both wrists, and tore both my mcl and pcl?(the inside and the back ligaments), i never got the surgury because doctors said it doesnt return your knee to perfect, basically it would get me back to how i was already doing.

my advice would be to take things slow, and if you feel you can do it, without much pain then go, but NEVER without a really good knee brace. it will make all the difference between dislocating your knee badly and keeping it strong. not to say that i havent still dislocated it with the brace on while being really dumb at concerts and whatnot...

just do what you can. its been 7 years and about once, or twice a year i will still do something dumb with it and it will still buckle on me, and ill be limping for at least 3 days.

they say ligaments dont exactly heal very well ever, so you need to build up the stabilizer muscles around the knee and leg in order to compensate. take care of the injury, give it time, and dont go over your limit..only you will know what that is...

some sports make you put your balls in a basket, others over the fence, or a catchers mit. sometimes with a swift stroke,
you whack your balls over great distance to drop them down a hole...

personally, i stuck with the first sport that let me put my balls RIGHT IN YOUR FACE...
Old 09-19-2011, 01:32 AM #21
capt-of-nd
^^thats the BigDog!!

Annual Supporting Member
capt-of-nd plays in the USPL
capt-of-nd owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
capt-of-nd owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
capt-of-nd plays in the APPA D5 division
i played 3 XPSL tournies with a torn ACL back in 07, probably not the smartest thing to do but luckily i didnt do any permanent damage and had it taken care of after the last event of the season

Old style feedbackhttp://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1755319
Closed Thread