Loking to put together another viking project and i have always loved the way the fbm dm/pm frames look. I was off today so I killed sometime messing around with this.
I picked up a bare FBM PM5 frame recently and set out to find everything I needed to make it functional. I then purchased a standard PM5 virtue board for it and recently read up on the whole ribbon eye thing that the PM5s use. I like the look of the frame and modded it some to get my techna trigger out of my timmy to work, so I was determined to figure out a way to get regular eyes on it.
What I did was I desoldered the ribbon eye connector on the board which left 3 little blobs of solder where the connector was soldered to the board. I took 3 little pieces of wire and soldered them very carefully where the board use to be. I then played the guessing game with the 3 wires from a spare set of eyes i had.
After 3 attempts I got them to function. The spares eyes had a connector at the end but I didnt have the other side of the connector to attach to the 3 wires I soldered to the board. So for now the eyes are hard wired to the board.
Here are some pics. The wires i attached to the board are not a particular color for any particular reason it is just what I had available.
Here are my homemade power buttons lol. The stock rubber buttons were too short when used in the FBM, so I bought a couple of screws, shaved the heads down a little and shortend them to the right length.
Here is the frame complete and a mock up picture on my tarantula.