Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-07-2011, 10:28 PM #1
plasm800

Computer Decision Help

I know alot about computers as in how to work them and do things on them but have never payed attention to the specs on computers. I am looking to invest in a new laptop and need some suggestions. It has to be able to run Cinema4D, Photoshop, Adobe After Effects, and Sony Vegas 10 all at the same time as I do a lot of graphic design stuff (speaking of which if you want something message me ) and I need something, new or used, around 500 tops. I was looking at this used one on Amazon and thought it would be alright. A small screen is a plus as I hate huge laptops. Please respond as my birthday is soon and need to know asap. Thanks.

plasm800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2011, 10:42 PM #2
Carpathian_Basin (Banned)

I don't think you know as much as you seem to think. A small laptop that can run all those at the same time is going to be slightly more than $500.
Carpathian_Basin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:54 PM #3
benji25
Legen (wait for it) Dary

benji25 is a Moderator
benji25 donated to help Peyton Trent
benji25 is playing at Living Legends V
benji25 posts videos on PbNation
benji25 supports our troops
benji25 has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Does it have to be a laptop? You could bld a desktop in that price range
benji25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:54 PM #4
HardcoreWL

HardcoreWL owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasm800 View Post
I know alot about computers as in how to work them and do things on them but have never payed attention to the specs on computers. I am looking to invest in a new laptop and need some suggestions. It has to be able to run Cinema4D, Photoshop, Adobe After Effects, and Sony Vegas 10 all at the same time as I do a lot of graphic design stuff (speaking of which if you want something message me ) and I need something, new or used, around 500 tops. I was looking at this used one on Amazon and thought it would be alright. A small screen is a plus as I hate huge laptops. Please respond as my birthday is soon and need to know asap. Thanks.
That laptop in the link looks like it's only good for a paper weight and maybe some light web surfing. Get a desktop. If you want a laptop to run all those programs you're going to have to spend A LOT more money.
HardcoreWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:09 PM #5
plasm800

Thanks for the response, the only problem with getting a desktop is that alot of the video editing I do is editing for montages for call of duty (lol) and I have to record straight to the computer which is why I wanted a laptop. If you could suggest a nice desktop then I would be open to those aswell

Last edited by plasm800 : 08-08-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:55 PM #6
Pariel

How does recording straight to the computer require a laptop?

A desktop would probably be better because you could have two hard drives, which is generally the biggest factor in high quality video recording.
Pariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:13 PM #7
plasm800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariel View Post
How does recording straight to the computer require a laptop?

A desktop would probably be better because you could have two hard drives, which is generally the biggest factor in high quality video recording.
Because my xbox is nowhere near where the desktop computer would be.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:42 PM #8
HardcoreWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasm800 View Post
Thanks for the response, the only problem with getting a desktop is that alot of the video editing I do is editing for montages for call of duty (lol) and I have to record straight to the computer which is why I wanted a laptop. If you could suggest a nice desktop then I would be open to those aswell
Is this something you do for a living or just for fun? If it's just for fun I would recommend not getting a computer at all, but put your money towards a college graphic design program. I'm not trying to be mean. That would just be more logical
Old 08-08-2011, 09:44 PM #9
toolbandfan
The dude abides

toolbandfan is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
toolbandfan is playing at Living Legends VII
Old 08-13-2011, 12:53 AM #10
vash01000100

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...TSFY-_-Satisfy

The only quad core you'll find for $500
vash01000100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:48 PM #12
plushdragon

plushdragon helped look for balloons
to the op

the 5770 card is old and slow.for the money there are 6850 and the nvidia 460/560 line of cards that are on sale at the same price or only 20 dollars more.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814500206
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150516
you want a card with at lest 192 bit with. the amd card has 256 bit bus. that card for each clock cycle will do two times the data as the 5770 that only has a 128 bit bus. also if you can wait a few weeks ami new cpu will be hitting the store and so will intel.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:57 PM #13
plushdragon

to the op

also the ps is to low of a voltage for a good system.you want a 700w unit with a good brand name. read up on toms hardware on the power supply round up and testing. most no name brands were fine at light loads but close to there max load (ie gaming or rendering) max cpu/video card load some ps went up in flames or just died taking out the system.most good name brand system have brown out/short protection/overload. a good power supply when tested should be able to run at 110 percent.(100 percent rated plus 10 percent.) for new builds ps comp are rating there units as bronze/sliver/gold/platnumi (sp).
one rated bronze or silver should be find for most users.the gold is for a high end gamer that does not want the system to ever fail.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:01 PM #14
plushdragon

re:

the only thing i would add is more ram the more ram the better the pc will render video. i also look to see if any 8 gig kits are onsale and max your system out to 16g of ram. the only thig i would add at a later time is another 1g hd and a 3.5 to 5 inch removable tray and place the drive in one of the 5.25 inch drive bays. the other drive would be a back up drive. also on some video rendering software they want two drives an os drive and a data drive.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:14 PM #15
plasm800

Quote:
Originally Posted by plushdragon View Post
the 5770 card is old and slow.for the money there are 6850 and the nvidia 460/560 line of cards that are on sale at the same price or only 20 dollars more.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814500206
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150516
you want a card with at lest 192 bit with. the amd card has 256 bit bus. that card for each clock cycle will do two times the data as the 5770 that only has a 128 bit bus. also if you can wait a few weeks ami new cpu will be hitting the store and so will intel.
Quote:
also the ps is to low of a voltage for a good system.you want a 700w unit with a good brand name. read up on toms hardware on the power supply round up and testing. most no name brands were fine at light loads but close to there max load (ie gaming or rendering) max cpu/video card load some ps went up in flames or just died taking out the system.most good name brand system have brown out/short protection/overload. a good power supply when tested should be able to run at 110 percent.(100 percent rated plus 10 percent.) for new builds ps comp are rating there units as bronze/sliver/gold/platnumi (sp).
one rated bronze or silver should be find for most users.the gold is for a high end gamer that does not want the system to ever fail.
Quote:
the only thing i would add is more ram the more ram the better the pc will render video. i also look to see if any 8 gig kits are onsale and max your system out to 16g of ram. the only thig i would add at a later time is another 1g hd and a 3.5 to 5 inch removable tray and place the drive in one of the 5.25 inch drive bays. the other drive would be a back up drive. also on some video rendering software they want two drives an os drive and a data drive.
Thanks for your response. I know very little about the specs of computers, all I know is how to work them and I can do that well. I have never actually purchased a computer so I had a friend build this for me. I told him my budget was $500 and that is what he came up with. If you could find parts that you think are better for $500 or less than that would be great and I'll run them by him. Thanks for all your help.

-Plasm800

Old 09-04-2011, 08:50 PM #16
HardcoreWL

You'll probably want at least a 500w psu...don't trust your friend so much, and go with a radeon hd 6850 not a 5770. Also there is a shell shocker deal on newegg right now for a case and 630w psu fot 59.98usd if you're on a tight budget.

Last edited by HardcoreWL : 09-04-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:05 PM #17
DayoftheGreek
I hate you

Wow 700W is **** TONS EXTRA for that build.

I agree with the above poster that 500W is more realistic. Even 450W would probably be fine as long as it is a decent unit.

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote